ImageImageImageImageImage

Lowry and Fields Press Conference - Tuesday July 17th @ Noon

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ClassicRaptors
Sophomore
And1: 4

Re: Lowry and Fields Press Conference - Tuesday July 17th @  

Post#241 » by ClassicRaptors » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:08 pm

I think people forget Bargnani is also 7 feet, and can guard oppoising centers depending on the matchup's , i dont see Jonas having to much trouble with foul's his rookie season. Big strong centers Bargnani will match up agaisnt , but there is'nt to much dominant centers.
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#242 » by RapsFanInVA » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:10 pm

Regression2u wrote:
Tough Tony D wrote:
RapsFanInVA wrote:How do some people think we are going to finish with the 4th or 5th pick next year? We had the 8th pick this year while trying to tank with Bargs out over half the season, Butler, Alan Anderson, and Ben Uzoh getting significant minutes, and a hobbled Amir all season without our 5th overall pick playing. WIth the addition of Lowry, Ross, and Val how are we going to be worse?

Egggsactly

Simple... the other bad teams will improve more than we do.

For one, let's not overexaggerate the role of Butler and Uzoh (both averaged only 13 minutes per game and played, respectively, 34 and 16 games). Anderson only played 17 games.

Val is going to be a dominant C in the future but for the next two years he won't make waves because he'll be in foul trouble and not strong enough to handle other Cs. Lowry and Ross will contribute but I still doubt that we will win more % of games next year.

A healthy Andrea alone makes us win the same % of games as last year. We've improved depth at every position to the point where people like Butler/Uzoh/Magloire/Carter/Anderson won't get ANY minutes barring a rash of injuries. Even the games we lost we were competitive and close to the very end despite playing a bunch of scrubs. Teams below us that significantly upgraded talent (NJ and I guess Washington) have been replaced by teams gutting players and starting fresh (Atlanta, Houston, most likely Orlando soon) and everyone else near our level has made small moves such as draft picks or a few new starters like us that I don't see us getting passed by crappy teams from last year.
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#243 » by goinrogue » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:14 pm

mirrornick wrote:
TheDunc wrote:The great thing about Lowry is he can defend the PG spot. That will do wonders for out team, i also think hes a better passer then Calderon even though Calderon had more apg. Calderon has the ball too much as oppose to Lowry who will either score, pass and not just dribble the ball for 10 seconds. Lowry will be a breath of fresh air for our Offense.

People can hate on BC all they want but im seeing some light at the end of the tunnel for the raptors. I just hope Bargs is the next to be traded if he doesnt play good all year.

+1 Lowry is a better flashy passer, he creates as opposed to '' wait 15 seconds for players to get open and then pass ''

Jose Calderon better be gone now that we have a true PG that can defend, rebound and make everyone better.

+2. Jose's such an overrated passer. How else do you explain how he was fourth in the league in assists yet we were 29th in offense? :lol: He gets a lot of his assists by being super ball dominant and by doing nothing else on the floor but pass - doesn't shoot, drive, or go to the free throw line. I was hoping his 'fourth in the league in assists' thing would fool teams into trading for him but I don't think he's fooling anyone anymore. Oh well.
StMikes31
Banned User
And1: 591

Post#244 » by StMikes31 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Raps Militia wrote:
J-Roc wrote:
Raps Militia wrote:
6.2 for 3 years, and not 5+5+9...

Source?

NBA rules...
That contract (5 +5 +9) would be valid only if the Knicks had matched the offer.

Same holds for the Lin situation.

I thought it was 5, 5.5, and 9 that gets paid to Fields but for cap purposes the hit is what you said, 6.2 for all 3 ???
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#245 » by J-Roc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:16 pm

KingstonRaptors wrote:
Raps Militia wrote:
NBA rules...
That contract (5 +5 +9) would be valid only if the Knicks had matched the offer.

Same holds for the Lin situation.

Correct. Houston is doing the same thing with Jeremy Lin. It's called the Gilbert Arenas rule.

I think we do pay 5 + 5 + 9, it's only the cap hit that averages out.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#246 » by TheDunc » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:17 pm

goinrogue wrote:
mirrornick wrote:
TheDunc wrote:The great thing about Lowry is he can defend the PG spot. That will do wonders for out team, i also think hes a better passer then Calderon even though Calderon had more apg. Calderon has the ball too much as oppose to Lowry who will either score, pass and not just dribble the ball for 10 seconds. Lowry will be a breath of fresh air for our Offense.

People can hate on BC all they want but im seeing some light at the end of the tunnel for the raptors. I just hope Bargs is the next to be traded if he doesnt play good all year.

+1 Lowry is a better flashy passer, he creates as opposed to '' wait 15 seconds for players to get open and then pass ''

Jose Calderon better be gone now that we have a true PG that can defend, rebound and make everyone better.

+2. Jose's such an overrated passer. How else do you explain how he was fourth in the league in assists yet we were 29th in offense? :lol: He gets a lot of his assists by being super ball dominant and by doing nothing else on the floor but pass - doesn't shoot, drive, or go to the free throw line. I was hoping his 'fourth in the league in assists' thing would fool teams into trading for him but I don't think he's fooling anyone anymore. Oh well.

The only way Jose gets assists is if he keeps the ball for as long as possible. Lowry on the other hand will look to score or pass. No waiting around, this will make for much better ball movement in our offense. Replacing Johnson with Fields will also help our ball movement
mirrornick
RealGM
And1: 13,725

Post#247 » by mirrornick » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Now that our offense will be less predictable, Derozan and Bargnani will take the next step.
Demar - 20/4/3 48%
Bargnani - 22-6-2 50%
evenflow
Junior
And1: 20

Post#248 » by evenflow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Looking forward to seeing both guys play!

Haven't seen to much of Lowry but liking everything that i have heard and read so far, should help solidify the defense while getting the team out and running a bit more. I think if Calderon stays we will have a pretty potent PG unit.

Also like the Field's signing, I know some are bothered by the contract but I think he will live up to it. He always impressed me when ever the Raptor's and Knick's played.
'In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.'
Waylon Mercy
Banned User
And1: 6,644

Post#249 » by Waylon Mercy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:26 pm

ClassicRaptors wrote:I think people forget Bargnani is also 7 feet, and can guard oppoising centers depending on the matchup's , i dont see Jonas having to much trouble with foul's his rookie season. Big strong centers Bargnani will match up agaisnt , but there is'nt to much dominant centers.

How can we forget thats a 7 footer out there!!!
mirrornick
RealGM

Post#250 » by mirrornick » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:33 pm

Waylon Mercy wrote:
ClassicRaptors wrote:I think people forget Bargnani is also 7 feet, and can guard oppoising centers depending on the matchup's , i dont see Jonas having to much trouble with foul's his rookie season. Big strong centers Bargnani will match up agaisnt , but there is'nt to much dominant centers.

Kyle lowry will out rebound our beloved 7footer.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#251 » by Wo1verine » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:35 pm

mirrornick wrote:
Waylon Mercy wrote:

Kyle lowry will out rebound our beloved 7footer.

With his contract, he doesn't have to rebound the ball
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#252 » by sanity » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:54 pm

If Bargnani shoots 50% from the field I will saw off both of my arms and auction them on here.
mirrornick
RealGM

Post#253 » by mirrornick » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:59 pm

sanity wrote:If Bargnani shoots 50% from the field I will saw off both of my arms and auction them on here.

And what will you do if Bargnani avg's 10 rebs?
ClassicRaptors
Sophomore
And1: 4

Post#254 » by ClassicRaptors » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:01 pm

mirrornick wrote:Now that our offense will be less predictable, Derozan and Bargnani will take the next step.
Demar - 20/4/3 48%
Bargnani - 22-6-2 50%

i think that's realstic numbers for both players , having players like jonas, , fields, lowry , is only gonna make there game more efficient . I see lowry around 17 ppg, but hes gonna impact the team in many other ways from scoring , same thing with fields and jonas.
Marlo Stanfield
Banned User
And1: 12

Post#255 » by Marlo Stanfield » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:11 pm

mirrornick wrote:Now that our offense will be less predictable, Derozan and Bargnani will take the next step.
Demar - 20/4/3 48%
Bargnani - 22-6-2 50%

That's a pretty big increase for both of them, specifically the FG%.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#256 » by Courtside » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:12 pm

J-Roc wrote:I think we do pay 5 + 5 + 9, it's only the cap hit that averages out.

Even if we paid $19 mil in one lump, the only thing that matters is the cap hit.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#257 » by dagger » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Courtside wrote:
J-Roc wrote:I think we do pay 5 + 5 + 9, it's only the cap hit that averages out.

Even if we paid $19 mil in one lump, the only thing that matters is the cap hit.

I believe it's the average that's paid out. J-Roci s wrong. But to a degree the payment schedule is immaterial even at budgeting level. They can pay out a bonus on top of his first year, they can pay him on Oct 1 of each year so there is no cash cost to the t acquiring him as an expiring contract. There are many ways to deal with this and it's really irrelevant whether his payments are averaged, front loaded or back loaded. And if they trade him and his cash owing in the final year is $8.6, they can add up to $3 million of cash part of the trade to bring that down to as little as $5.6m, which would be less than the salary he would get if the three years were averaged.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
RapsFanInVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,092

Post#258 » by RapsFanInVA » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:16 pm

mirrornick wrote:
sanity wrote:If Bargnani shoots 50% from the field I will saw off both of my arms and auction them on here.

And what will you do if Bargnani avg's 10 rebs?

The universe would implode first.
StMikes31
Banned User
And1: 591

Post#259 » by StMikes31 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:20 pm

I really thought Landry gets 5+5+9 and the cap hit is averaged out maybe I read it wrong from previous reports. Doesn't matter really, the most important thing is the cap hit as courtside pointed out.
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#260 » by JamesNaismith » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:22 pm

I watched the highlights after of the presser....it didn't show their jersey numbers?

I'm more so asking because I'm wondering if our uniforms will get another facelfit since there was a rumour that we would if I'm not mistake.

Return to Toronto Raptors