ImageImageImageImageImage

Flynn Working Out For The Cavs (Raps Possible Suitor?)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Re: Flynn Working Out For The Cavs (Raps Possible Suitor?) 

Post#41 » by Dalek » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Jonny Flynn is too small and plays too small, meaning his defense and rebounding are not good enough for his 6ft frame. Some guys play bigger, but after 3 years, Flynn just isn't good enough. I'd like a scoring PG that could maybe had. I like Lester Hudson who looked really good with the Cavs last year. Perfect older scoring guard that showed some great instant offense skills last year.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#42 » by sca » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:45 pm

raptoradical wrote:
Terrible1 wrote:
raptoradical wrote:
Then I guess the question is, for the what we need, who would be the best available? Cause Calderon doesn't have defense either, and Flynn is better offensively.

Is that a joke?

About what, Calderon having no defense, or Flynn having better offense? It's proven Calderon has no defense, and Flynn can create better scoring opportunities for himself. Calderon doesn't create, he's just more an opportunist lol.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Flynn doesn't do a single thing on offense better than Calderon does
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#43 » by Courtside » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:02 pm

IvanIV wrote:Buy out or waive Calderon to sign Jonny Flynn? Are you serious?

Sadly, he is.

Now that the amnesty option is gone, there is ZERO chance the team buys out Calderon to sign some low level backup like Flynn. Unlike an amnesty, the buyout amount counts against the cap, so it doesn't help you go out and sign someone else.

Calderon will either be traded, or his contract will expire to open up $11 mil in space next summer.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#44 » by CoachD » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:47 pm

JN wrote:
CoachD wrote:Sidebar...

I was coaching at the tournament at Niagara HS when Syracuse was there recruiting... but they weren't there to see Flynn. They (along with a half dozen other schools) came to see Paul Harris.

Harris, said that if he went to Cuse, he wanted them to bring along his HS teammate. As it turned out, Flynn had a great tournament, and the rest is history .... but he was on the bubble and almost didn't get into a D1 school at all.

He almost didn't get into a D1 school? Please get your facts straight.

Here are the actual facts:

Harris was one class older than Flynn

Syracuse did get an early commitment from Flynn in his junior year of HS and it was related to the recruiting of Harris.

Flynn would have had to be a sophomore or early in his junior year at this tournament you were at. How can a high school sophomore be on the bubble? Silliest thing I have read today.

In his junior year he developed into a great NCAA prospect. Syracuse was lucky that they nabbed him one year early in the recruiting process before he developed into a great D1 prospect.

If Flynn had decided to wait a year to commit (like most prospects in his age group) pretty much every TOP 25 program in the nation would have wanted him. You do realize he was considered one of the top recruits entering his senior HS year and freshman year right?

Let me inform you, because I was actually there, and you've heard about it from 2nd or 3rd hand sources.

The tournament I speak of was an AAU tournament held in late August, just days before his junior year would kick off.

Flynn's HS coach told me at a pre-tourney dinner that they had sent out feelers on him but had received literally no responses, and everyone is looking around at Harris.

First game of the tournament, we beat Niagara with Flynn & Harris and while Paul looked unbelievable, Johnny looked very average. In the next three games of that tournament, Flynn absolutely played out of his mind.

That's when reps from Syracuse started talking to his coach and his family and it was soon after that he had accepted.

Johnny's coach told me when the offer was excepted he took it right away because A) he wanted to play with Paul B) it wasn't far from home and C) despite rumblings in different articles and publications, no other school had come forward with a full ride.

Truth be told, if he didn't land with Syracuse he probably would have hooked up with a low D1 school, but certainly not a major based on what his coach told me ... and there are really good PGs in the low level schools that never make it to the next level because scouts feel they haven't played strong enough level of competition.
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#45 » by OhMyBosh » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:02 pm

I don't think Flynn is a good player by any stretch, but I'd much rather have him as our third stringer than John Lucas III. Neither are point guards but at least Flynn is younger and has more room to learn.
Swag_Redefined
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#46 » by Swag_Redefined » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:26 pm

Ive been high on Flynn for a while now.

Too bad the rumour isnt true.

Lowry/Lucas/Flynn would have been great. Oh well.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#47 » by God Squad » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Swag_Redefined wrote:Ive been high on Flynn for a while now.

How can you be high on Flynn (for a while now) he does NOTHING good yet alone great on the court.I'll take John Lucas III. I'm willing to bet that JL-III will score and distribute better too.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#48 » by dacrusha » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:33 pm

Flynn is a D-league tier PG.

I'm not sure many in this thread have actually watched him play and are only reminiscing about his days at Syracuse.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#49 » by Alfred » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:52 pm

dacrusha wrote:Flynn is a D-league tier PG.

I'm not sure many in this thread have actually watched him play and are only reminiscing about his days at Syracuse.

Yeah, not sure what people are expecting from him. He sucks.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#50 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:59 pm

I actually got a scare when I read "flynn working out for...".

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,143

Post#51 » by duppyy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Alfred wrote:

Yeah, not sure what people are expecting from him. He sucks.

People are expecting a Flynnsanity type of season lol.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#52 » by JV4MVP » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:29 pm

6th overall pic... makes you really sober up when thinking about lottery guys. Nothing is guaranteed.
Swag_Redefined
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#53 » by Swag_Redefined » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 pm

spade57 wrote:
Swag_Redefined wrote:Ive been high on Flynn for a while now.

How can you be high on Flynn (for a while now) he does NOTHING good yet alone great on the court.I'll take John Lucas III. I'm willing to bet that JL-III will score and distribute better too.

His rookie season was impressive ...
Steve Urkel
Analyst
And1: 2,446

Post#54 » by Steve Urkel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:28 pm

Totally, I don't know why people on this board still have this perception that he's good. His second season in the league was one of the worst seasons for a PG playing meaningful minutes EVER. PER 7.1, TS 44%, Offensive rating 85, Defensive rating 114, -1.3 win shares, 4.1 turnovers per 36 mins. If you actually watched these games he somehow seemed worse than what these stats projected.

I don't actually hate him as a player but he's a 3rd stringer at best right now and I actually wouldn't mind if he was picked up for the Raps in that role.

raptoradical wrote:
Then I guess the question is, for the what we need, who would be the best available? Cause Calderon doesn't have defense either, and Flynn is better offensively.

LOL, are you serious? Has the Calderon hate on this board became this bad? That quote is sig worthy. Calderon is much much much much much much better offensively than Flynn. Calderon knows how to run an offense (he does pound the rock a bit too much) but I wouldn't trust Flynn running a bath.

Calderon is a great backup PG because he would give good stability to a team off the bench and can hit a shot when open. He would be sooo good off the bench for a team like the Thunder where he can go in for 10-15 mins a game when Westbrook starts chucking and just feeds Durant, Harden shots without turning the ball over.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#55 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Honestly I kind of have hopes for calderon off the bench, as a starter he's a floor general, but maybe off the bench he sustains less injuries, becomes fresher and attacks like he did earlier in his career. It's not like he's 40 yrs old.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#56 » by J-Roc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Regression2u wrote:6th overall pic... makes you really sober up when thinking about lottery guys. Nothing is guaranteed.

Nope, people will just block it out of their minds like nothing happened.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,538

Post#57 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:02 pm

There has to be very few games in NCAA history that changed a prospect's stock as much as Flynn's 6 OT game

Return to Toronto Raptors