ImageImageImageImageImage

This reffing is unbelievable.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,294

Re: This reffing is unbelievable. 

Post#381 » by Scase » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 pm

JN wrote:The 75% comment was not validated by 60 Minutes or the FBI. How can we dispute something that is inaccurate. It was merely a comment made by Tim Donaghy on 60 minutes. Some fake tough guy talking **** basically.

If you watch part 2 of the interview the FBI agent that headed up the investigation flat out said Donaghy won 70-80% of his bets.
Props TZ!
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,221

Post#382 » by niQ » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:03 pm

dagger wrote:It's interesting how the media today is almost unanimous about how the Raps got the raw end last night and so far this season in general.

Usually, they are lecturing the fans not to put so much emphasis on the officiating, but pretty much all of the writers and bloggers - from Koreen to Liston to Chisholm - are on the bandwagon, especially after last night.

Here's another example.

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog/20 ... rs-so-far/

Now don’t get me wrong, the Raptors haven’t played well enough overall to have a much better record than the 3-9 mark they currently sport, and they’ve done their fair share of shooting themselves in the foot. After all, their free throw shooting has gone cold over the last four games, with the team missing some big time attempts from the charity stripe against the Sixers on Tuesday and DeMar DeRozan missing one of his two free throws in the final minute against the Bobcats on Wednesday.
If Lowry hits more of his fourth quarter free throws against Philly, maybe the Raptors hold off the 76ers’ rally. If DeRozan makes both of his free throws with 47 seconds left last night instead of just one, the game ends up in overtime, even with the blown call on the final play.
Anyone who thinks the officiating alone is the reason the Raptors are 3-9 right now is delusional, and is giving this team too much credit. But having said that, anyone who has watched the Raptors play this season and still thinks the officiating hasn’t contributed to the poor start at all is just as delusional.

Yup that pretty much sums it up.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,928

Post#383 » by JN » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Scase wrote:
JN wrote:The 75% comment was not validated by 60 Minutes or the FBI. How can we dispute something that is inaccurate. It was merely a comment made by Tim Donaghy on 60 minutes. Some fake tough guy talking **** basically.

If you watch part 2 of the interview the FBI agent that headed up the investigation flat out said Donaghy won 70-80% of his bets.

So why did he fall into such massive gambling debt? You know the thing that actually caused him to have to influence games he was DIRECTLY involved in.
Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,870

Post#384 » by Los Manos » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:26 pm

JN wrote:
Scase wrote:

So why did he fall into such massive gambling debt? You know the thing that actually caused him to have to influence games he was DIRECTLY involved in.

Precisely.
Scase
RealGM

Post#385 » by Scase » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:30 pm

JN wrote:
Scase wrote:

Those gambling debts were from him betting on FOOTBALL. Which he clearly doesn't have any insider information on.

He was addicted to gambling, he was simply lucky enough to be in a position to actually have insider info for one of the things he bets on.
Props TZ!
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,928

Post#386 » by JN » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:43 pm

So why wouldn't he try to win it back "INDIRECTLY" first, rather than directly. After all your making the assumption that he is some ethical guy. And why were all his paybacks via the games he refereed DIRECTLY. Wouldn't the mafia be interested in his 70-80% "insider" info as well?
Scase
RealGM

Post#387 » by Scase » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:27 pm

JN wrote:So why wouldn't he try to win it back "INDIRECTLY" first, rather than directly. After all your making the assumption that he is some ethical guy. And why were all his paybacks via the games he refereed DIRECTLY. Wouldn't the mafia be interested in his 70-80% "insider" info as well?

Sweet christ man all these questions would have already been answered had you watched the video.

I shall humor you regardless.

He DID have someone do the betting for him so wouldn't be caught, the guy (old HS friend IIRC) who was placing bets for him let it slip that he was getting the info from an NBA ref, once this got out the mafia DID get interested to the point where they called his house and threatened to "pay a visit" to his wife and child in florida if he didn't tell them who the winners were.

The fact that the mafia got involved is actually HOW he got caught. the FBI was wiretapping the Gambino crime family and had picked up talk about betting with an NBA refs insider information. After that the FBI tracked it down to Donaghy, the rest is pretty much history.

He never bet DIRECTLY himself, he always had a person making the bets for him, so he WAS trying to win it back indirectly. The idiot placing the bets for him got him caught.

I never made any assumptions he was ethical by any standards, but when the FBI tells you that you will be going to prison for something like 10-15 years if you aren't completely honest and help them with the case Vs the ELEVEN months he actually served. Ethics are thrown out the window and self preservation kicks in, the FBI has corroborated his story and from all their findings it shows that he was being forthcoming and truthful with them, ethics be damned.
Props TZ!
Thelonious
Assistant Coach
And1: 253

Post#388 » by Thelonious » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:53 pm

I think the question JN was trying to ask is why did he bet on games he officiated himself if he could bet on any other game, since he could get it right 75% of the time.

Maybe he needed that extra 25%, considering he had to pay money back to people you generally don't want to fúck with.
Scase
RealGM

Post#389 » by Scase » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:57 pm

Thelonious wrote:I think the question JN was trying to ask is why did he bet on games he officiated himself if he could bet on any other game, since he could get it right 75% of the time.

Maybe he needed that extra 25%, considering he had to pay money back to people you generally don't want to fúck with.

For that I can't say but he did bet primarily on games he DIDN'T ref. But like you said, when you owe money to people like that you are most likely willing to do things you normally wouldn't.

But really considering HOW he got caught (big mouthed friend), it didn't matter what game was being bet on since he wasn't technically the one making the bets.
Props TZ!
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#390 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 am

Scase wrote:
Thelonious wrote:I think the question JN was trying to ask is why did he bet on games he officiated himself if he could bet on any other game, since he could get it right 75% of the time.

For that I can't say but he did bet primarily on games he DIDN'T ref. But like you said, when you owe money to people like that you are most likely willing to do things you normally wouldn't.

But really considering HOW he got caught (big mouthed friend), it didn't matter what game was being bet on since he wasn't technically the one making the bets.

Because it would be stupid and all too obvious to bet on games that he officiated. Also, there probably wouldnt be a book in the country that would take his bets. he doesnt seem the kind of guy to nickel and dime bets to make his money back, an addict like him will have to go large.
Scase
RealGM

Post#391 » by Scase » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:15 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Scase wrote:

Because it would be stupid and all too obvious to bet on games that he officiated. Also, there probably wouldnt be a book in the country that would take his bets. he doesnt seem the kind of guy to nickel and dime bets to make his money back, an addict like him will have to go large.

For the love of god people REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

HE NEVER MADE ANY BETS. HE HAD SOMEONE MAKE BETS FOR HIM.

Therefore what he bet on is irrelevant, had the friend who was making the bets for him shut his mouth they would have NEVER have been caught. Again showing what was bet on being moot.
Props TZ!
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#392 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:23 am

Scase wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Scase wrote:For that I can't say but he did bet primarily on games he DIDN'T ref. But like you said, when you owe money to people like that you are most likely willing to do things you normally wouldn't.

For the love of god people REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

Therefore what he bet on is irrelevant, had the friend who was making the bets for him shut his mouth they would have NEVER have been caught. Again showing what was bet on being moot.

Actually, you should read. My response was in reply to previous posts as to why he didnt bet on his games. Youd be out to lunch if you thought the underground bookmakers didnt know the friend was a stooge, considering his hit rate and likely size of bets.
Scase
RealGM

Post#393 » by Scase » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:30 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Scase wrote:For the love of god people REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

Actually, you should read. My response was in reply to previous posts as to why he didnt bet on his games. Youd be out to lunch if you thought the underground bookmakers didnt know the friend was a stooge, considering his hit rate and likely size of bets.

If your reply was to previous posts then maybe you shouldn't have quoted mine. Common sense and all that jazz.

And again your thought process on this is contradictory to what the FBI says is true. And when the scales have FBI testimony on one side and your opinion on the other, I'm gonna side with the facts.

The FBI made it clear that they only even discovered this because the Mob was talking about making bets on NBA games because they had insider info from a ref. If they knew ahead of time that Donaghy was doing this they would have pressed him and made threats earlier. Concocting a story isn't quite as accurate as the real thing sorry.
Props TZ!
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#394 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:51 am

Scase wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Scase wrote:For the love of god people REAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

If your reply was to previous posts then maybe you shouldn't have quoted mine. Common sense and all that jazz.

And again your thought process on this is contradictory to what the FBI says is true. And when the scales have FBI testimony on one side and your opinion on the other, I'm gonna side with the facts.

The FBI made it clear that they only even discovered this because the Mob was talking about making bets on NBA games because they had insider info from a ref. If they knew ahead of time that Donaghy was doing this they would have pressed him and made threats earlier. Concocting a story isn't quite as accurate as the real thing sorry.

I have no idea what you are going on about.

The original post I quoted asked why he didnt bet on any game he officiated. You gave some answer about FBI (which didnt answer his question), which was why you were in my original quote.

I never mentioned anything about the FBI, nor was it in the question posed. So, they only person not on the same page is you.
Scase
RealGM

Post#395 » by Scase » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:28 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
I have no idea what you are going on about.

The original post I quoted asked why he didnt bet on any game he officiated. You gave some answer about FBI (which didnt answer his question), which was why you were in my original quote.

I never mentioned anything about the FBI, nor was it in the question posed. So, they only person not on the same page is you.

The fact that this even needs to be argued is ridiculous. You apparently meant to respond to JN, you however as quoted below responded to MY post. Jesus this isn't rocket science man lol

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Scase wrote:

Props TZ!
raps4589
Pro Prospect
And1: 28

Post#396 » by raps4589 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 am

wow im skimming through posts and seeing FBI, but anyways, i personally beleive the nba is fixed.... besides this game i remeber a game where brent barry was fouled in a playoff game at the end and there was no call http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWiw60NusOY this happens all the time..clear fouls....the entire stadium saw it, announcers ..people at home..yet the 3 referees didnt...nba is fixed , its the worst.... the draft is fixed too ..and for all the poster who are gonna quote me and go against it...im not gonna see the quotes because im not on real gm 24/7 so i wont be going through to see the replies ...have fun suckers...
ABargnani7
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#397 » by ABargnani7 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:33 am

Conspiracy real, NBA against Bargnani if NBA call fair Bargnani already bring many championships to Turonto.
Scase
RealGM

Post#398 » by Scase » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:39 am

ABargnani7 wrote:Conspiracy real, NBA against Bargnani if NBA call fair Bargnani already bring many championships to Turonto.

Props TZ!
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,054

Post#399 » by carlosey » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:44 am

If you look at the overal picture of the past 10 years, Stern has taken the league to much greater exposure. It has fine tuned the league into a commercial juggernaut. The main idea here is that he made the corporation act all coporationy. In a post michael jordan NBA, Stern wanted to keep the magic going strong and started to push individual stars as the main attraction of the game and to be able to do that you have to put them in a situation where they can be featured night in and out. This opens the door for superstar calls (and even non-calls). If you dont get a certain ammount of "respect" you wont get the calls, which is like a popularity contest and not the application of the actual rulebook as its written.

The other business aspect that has taken over is that the NBA is trying to portray itself as a worthy investment for someone that will purchase a ticket. Games are much more exciting if whenever you buy an NBA ticket you are guaranteed to be in the edge of your seat because the game will come to the last shot. Referees have the door open to control the flow of the game and they do to the point that it is painfully obvious today. The idea is to keep the game close and exciting and feature the chosen heroes.

The rules of the game and the competition aspect of it have taken a back seat to extend earnings and thats a sad thing if you are an actual fan of the game. I just want to watch a fair competition and sadly I have to watch NCAA or Euroball to get that now. This has to be fixed to a certain degree at least!
ABargnani7
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#400 » by ABargnani7 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:52 am

Exactly Scase, conspiracy make Bargnani feel like that, good to know you understand.

Return to Toronto Raptors