ImageImageImageImageImage

Lowry to fans: Stop booing Bargnani

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

elmer_yuck
Veteran
And1: 565

Re: Lowry to fans: Stop booing Bargnani 

Post#901 » by elmer_yuck » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
elmer_yuck wrote:
Indeed wrote:I think part of it is the media. Did the media credits him for his post defense? I never say that. On offense, Bargnani doesn't have a lot of dunks, and very often, they disagree with his playstyle. They praised Davis with his elevation on rebounding, while criticizing Bargnani when Bargnani has no elevation due to his size is there for post defense. If they know the importance of elevation for rebounding, and they know Bargnani is bulk his size for post defense, they should know he cannot rebound.

The media plays a big part of this when the team is not performing well over the last few seasons. The media wasn't that bad when Bosh was still here, but they probably need to blame things on someone. I listen to the New York announcer twice, and those are true analyst instead saying things to praise the fans while ignoring the facts. They said it should be Toronto ball when Chandler argued and got the ball for his team.

I agree with you Indeed.
When guys gain weight, they no longer can rebound. We've seen that throughout NBA history.
Bargnani was an outstanding rebounder when he was lighter. I wish they would have let him stay at that weight.

:eek1:

For those Bargnani fans here who will grasp at any positive word spoken about their idol, and can't recognize sarcasm if it hit them in the face .... I was being sarcastic. Big guys can rebound, and Bargnani has always been a horrible rebounder.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,860

Post#902 » by Duffman100 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:09 pm

elmer_yuck wrote:
Duffman100 wrote: :eek1:

For those Bargnani fans here who will grasp at any positive word spoken about their idol, and can't recognize sarcasm if it hit them in the face .... I was being sarcastic. Big guys can rebound, and Bargnani has always been a horrible rebounder.

Oh good. Thank god. :D
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,928

Post#903 » by JN » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Sort of repeating a prior post. Human nature and team chemistry are important considerations.

The players absolutely needed to hear Bargnani get ripped by the fans for a few games. It was good for the players to see Bargnani get reduced minutes. It was good for the players to see Bargnani on the trading block. It was the final point of a start new era / a new culture that had been brewing since Bargs had injured. One where players were held accountable by all parties. The process is now complete. And that is a great thing -- the final stage of it was Bargnani getting bashed by all sides. Absolutely needed,

But after a while human nature and sensitivities come in to play. Bargnani may be a slacker, but he is not a douche. As humans, you don't mind someone getting bashed initially, but after a bit of time enough is enough and you will start defending the person (reversing the positive impact.

I strongly believe the boos served a positive purpose to the Raptors players for a short term, but on a longer term or more escalated it will start to be harmful. The culture change is now complete so no more boos are needed, It may also be hurting Bargs, and if it is no longer serving as a positive motivator for the rest of the team. So its time to move on from it. Simply let him rot away on the bench or earn PT -- the coach doing that will be positive enough for the culture going forward/
Thelonious
Assistant Coach
And1: 253

Post#904 » by Thelonious » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:21 pm

@Indeed: I'm Bargs friendly and let me tell you, his problem is not lack of athleticism, but lack of physicality.

The guy is genuinely scared of getting hurt, getting poked in the eye, land on someone's foot, heck he's probably even scared of someone messing with his hair. It's something he's probably trying to fight against, and whenever he did tried to play hard he did get injured, because he lacks awareness of where people (let alone their arms and their legs) are, where they're going and why.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#905 » by Duffman100 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm

All of this talk is so pointless too.

Fans are going to boo, it's just what they're going to do.

It's on Bargnani/team to figure it out. Whether that's playing harder or getting benched.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,197

Post#906 » by NBJ13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Here's my Leo's checklist for what bargs has to do to silence the boo birds;

Offense:

- Take smart shots within the offense - work in and around the post, take 3's when they're wide open or late in the clock

- hit the offense glass for some garbage points, keep the ball alive to extend possessions

- make smart cuts and move to open spots... bascially, play basketball

added bonus: take leadership of the 2nd team. When AA goes kobe ball, you take him aside and tell him he's an Effing scrub to stop shooting and to give you the effing ball

Defense:

- play his guy straight up (he's actually good at this)

- make his presence felt in the lane, clog it, use up some fould (he's got some to burn)

- rotate defensively so you don't leave you team mates high and dry

- i don't care how much he offensve boards, but you can't give up boards on the defensive side

A lot of it is just BB IQ, and I question if Bargs actually has it at the NBA level
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#907 » by Duffman100 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:31 pm

NBJ13 wrote:Here's my Leo's checklist for what bargs has to do to silence the boo birds;

Offense:

- Take smart shots within the offense - work in and around the post, take 3's when they're wide open or late in the clock

- hit the offense glass for some garbage points, keep the ball alive to extend possessions

- make smart cuts and move to open spots... bascially, play basketball

added bonus: take leadership of the 2nd team. When AA goes kobe ball, you take him aside and tell him he's an Effing scrub to stop shooting and to give you the effing ball

Defense:

- play his guy straight up (he's actually good at this)

- make his presence felt in the lane, clog it, use up some fould (he's got some to burn)

- rotate defensively so you don't leave you team mates high and dry

- i don't care how much he offensve boards, but you can't give up boards on the defensive side

A lot of it is just BB IQ, and I question if Bargs actually has it at the NBA level

Ha, so basically ask Bargnani to do stuff that he's never shown he can do.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,197

Post#908 » by NBJ13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:37 pm

that has always been his problem, he has shown flashes that he can do it. Now that he's got a less significant role, we could only hope he could do it more consistently.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Post#909 » by Vorticity » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Being a fan and being accurate are not mutual exclusions.

I'm sorry, what?

Fanatical: Possessed with or motivated by excessive, irrational zeal.

how could you be fanatical and accurate at the same time? :D
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#910 » by Indeed » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Thelonious wrote:@Indeed: I'm Bargs friendly and let me tell you, his problem is not lack of athleticism, but lack of physicality.

The guy is genuinely scared of getting hurt, getting poked in the eye, land on someone's foot, heck he's probably even scared of someone messing with his hair. It's something he's probably trying to fight against, and whenever he did tried to play hard he did get injured, because he lacks awareness of where people (let alone their arms and their legs) are, where they're going and why.

It makes sense. I know some players will do that to avoid injury. Some players in Amir and Lowry, they careless about these issues, and they can recover quick. Very unfortunately, Bargnani is not a superstar, where he can dominate the game. The way he plays this soft to avoid his injury may cost him the job. When we need to fight, we need to fight.
omacklem
Ballboy
And1: 1

Booing Bargnani Doesn't Help The Raptors 

Post#911 » by omacklem » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 pm

I'm not taking away anything from this fan base because the fact that you have 18,000 people making their voices heard for a team that is 4 games out of a playoff spot, is fantastic.

But here's the thing....we're all Raptors fans and we all want the team to succeed. Booing any individual player consistently is not going to help said player and it's not going to help the team.

Bargnani is going to be around for at least the remainder of this season and it's in the best interests of the team for him not to be booed. Yes, he deserves it, but the team doesn't deserve it and booing any individual hurts the team.

This issue is discussed further in the latest episode of RaptorBlof Radio. Other talking points include changing the offensive design, the progression of JV and a look at the week ahead...

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog/2013/02/25/raptorblog-radio-oscar-worthy/
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#912 » by Phenomenologist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Vorticity wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Being a fan and being accurate are not mutual exclusions.

I'm sorry, what?

Fanatical: Possessed with or motivated by excessive, irrational zeal.

how could you be fanatical and accurate at the same time? :D

Try flipping a (possibly weighted) coin.
Neutral 123
RealGM
And1: 2,799

Post#913 » by Neutral 123 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
elmer_yuck wrote:
I agree with you Indeed.
When guys gain weight, they no longer can rebound. We've seen that throughout NBA history.
Bargnani was an outstanding rebounder when he was lighter. I wish they would have let him stay at that weight.

:eek1:

LOL, sarcasm no doubt.
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#914 » by Neutral 123 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:26 pm

Duffman100 wrote:All of this talk is so pointless too.

Fans are going to boo, it's just what they're going to do.

It's on Bargnani/team to figure it out. Whether that's playing harder or getting benched.

Yep and it's weird. If one is going to waste energy on this, why not direct it at getting that one guy to actually play hard, instead of the millions and millions of people who are disgusted by this guy.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#915 » by Jakay » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 pm

Lowry probably doesn't know what he's talking about anyway...
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#916 » by Neutral 123 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:43 pm

Jakay wrote:Lowry probably doesn't know what he's talking about anyway...

Lowry is in a position where it's understood he's going to support his teammate. But Casey pretty much said what needed to be said. The guy needs to play with effort and the booing will almost certainly stop.
sanity
RealGM
And1: 1,812

Post#917 » by sanity » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 am

No boos tonight and he's playing like ****. I guess things are back to normal
wolfv
Analyst
And1: 2,631

Post#918 » by wolfv » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:58 am

sanity wrote:No boos tonight and he's playing like ****. I guess things are back to normal

Just how Bargs fans like it
Neutral 123
RealGM

Post#919 » by Neutral 123 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:00 am

sanity wrote:No boos tonight and he's playing like ****. I guess things are back to normal

:lol: :lol:
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,785
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#920 » by Boogie! » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:20 am

as is the rest of the team, but yeah, no it's all about bargnani. funny how when people talk about how team needs to establish bargnani the argument is, no, it's not about bargnani it's about the team. yet, when the team neglects bargnani, the argument is no, it's not the team's fault, it's bargnani's fault for not getting going. meanwhile, bargnani is only 1/4 and this consistutes him being ****. i remember when he started 2/8 in the phoenix game last season and ended up with 36 and being the reason WHY they won. funny how perspective changes everything.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.

Return to Toronto Raptors