ImageImageImageImageImage

The Tank Debate Thread

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Which path do you support for 2013-14?

Tank.
63%
Compete.
38%

Total votes: 16

Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

The Tank Debate Thread 

Post#1 » by Chevy Chase » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:20 am

To start things off, I like MU's 2 year idea. Lets not worry about how great a few scouts are suggesting this years draft will be. If end up with a high draft pick, great; if not, let's move on. It wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to this franchise for there to be two consecutive years of playoffs. Thats where players really develop. I remember when we made the playoffs with Bosh against the nets. That year he was outstanding and I thought he might just have another level. Then they played him hard with double teams coming quickly and he wilted like the sissy boy that he is. It was then that I (and I guess he did too) knew that he would never carry a team. You just don't know what you have until you've played truly meaningful games under a spotlight. It would do us well to have a few of those.

Since both tank threads have become arguments between the anti- and pro-tank people, there's really no point in having separate threads. So please contain your tanking arguments to this thread. - Rhett
bigbadstevenson
Banned User
And1: 365

Re: OFFICIAL anti-tank thread 

Post#2 » by bigbadstevenson » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 am

I hope they don't tank because basketball is too high a priority for me. If they stay at the same level for the next decade, I'll lose interest and move on with my life.

Seriously, this is not a terrible reason.
BLKMASS
Banned User
And1: 124

Post#3 » by BLKMASS » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:27 am

nonsense thread
HolyMage110
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#4 » by HolyMage110 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:28 am

We just want to tank in this year's draft because it's loaded with talent.
Said to be the best draft since 03.
Im good with anti-tanking next year.
tanuki1031
Starter
And1: 3,332

Post#5 » by tanuki1031 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:29 am

Tank for Wiggums!
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#6 » by J-Roc » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:30 am

No doubt. Rudy Gay will lead the charge with his new vision. Lowry will beast in a contract year. DeMar said he'd be able to hit threes, but even if he doesn't, Novak will space the floor.

Amir and Val are probably the toughest frontcourt in the league, and now they have Psycho and of course Acy. Casey will focus on D, which wins in the playoffs. And if we're in the hunt, Masai has trade chips to take us the rest of the way.

Cleveland will try to get LeBron by showing they can win. Raps will try the same for Wiggins when the time is right.

Sent using the RealGM mobile app.
Turbo_Zone
Veteran
And1: 13,042

Post#7 » by Turbo_Zone » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:33 am

Well, I will say that if we AREN'T going to tank, I'm at least happy with the man who's going to do the building.

It's more than the players. Watching the Spurs waste almost 0 possessions was sad as a Raptor fan.

We've all witnessed the "Free-for-all-attack-and-fail-and-pass-and-attack-and-fail-and-pass-and-barely-beat-the-clock" offence.

Defence has been "Hope they miss!" for too long. Coaching is clutch. Put your money where your mouth is and get an experienced coach to implement a basic system.

If I'm building, I guess I would:

- Stick with Rudy as your Chucker/Defender/Highlight Producer/Final shot taker.

- Make Val gain good weight as quickly as possible.

- Force DeMar to learn the 3 or do something crazy like make him 6th-man slasher; otherwise try and get a 3+D with the assets you're gonna blow anyway

- I'm a Lowry Fanboy, so I stick with Lowry but let him run the team. Take the handcuffs off this season.

- You know what? Gotta say Amir earned that starting PF. Good things just seem to happen when he's on the court. He's got that spot now.

BUT!

If you're "going for it" you need to throw the farm at a Big Man PF and have Amir backup both spots

I don't see much more I could do with the lousy contracts still plaguing our team.

It's a theory full of holes, but that's what I would try.

Toronto Raptors - Best Team Ever Forever
VintageVince
Rookie
And1: 926

Post#8 » by VintageVince » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 am

Enjoy the 9th spot or a first round loss in the playoff, and a treadmill team for years to come.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#9 » by TheGoodDoctor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:39 am

HolyMage110 wrote:We just want to tank in this year's draft because it's loaded with talent.
Said to be the best draft since 03.
Im good with anti-tanking next year.

This.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#10 » by basketball royalty » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:40 am

VintageVince wrote:Enjoy the 9th spot or a first round loss in the playoff, and a treadmill team for years to come.

Thanks Sunshine!
props to Turbozone for the sig
CanadaB-Ball
Rookie
And1: 311

Post#11 » by CanadaB-Ball » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:43 am

J-Roc wrote:No doubt. Rudy Gay will lead the charge with his new vision. Lowry will beast in a contract year. DeMar said he'd be able to hit threes, but even if he doesn't, Novak will space the floor.

Amir and Val are probably the toughest frontcourt in the league, and now they have Psycho and of course Acy. Casey will focus on D, which wins in the playoffs. And if we're in the hunt, Masai has trade chips to take us the rest of the way.

Cleveland will try to get LeBron by showing they can win. Raps will try the same for Wiggins when the time is right.

Sent using the RealGM mobile app.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#12 » by RaptorNews » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:43 am

J-Roc wrote:Cleveland will try to get LeBron by showing they can win. Raps will try the same for Wiggins when the time is right.

Thats NINE years from now
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by Chevy Chase » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:46 am

Thanks TZ for being the only non-troll post.

I agree. I'd ditch DD. I've not seen anything that leads me to believe he's as good as suggested.

I'm not sold on Lowry, but there have been flashes. I'm willing to see how he does with the keys for a season. So many teams are locked in with their PG that i'm not even overly worried that he out performs this year. I just don't think there are enough teams who will be looking for a PG next year to worry about how much he might as for to resign.

I'm a big Rudy fan, so I'd like to see him stay. I'm hoping that if the team meshes this year and he shows improvement as well, MU can convince him to give up his last year for a long term contract with a hometown discount. I know that's asking a bit much.
lacokanostra
Senior
And1: 357

Post#14 » by lacokanostra » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:49 am

The Official Mascot.

It's important to acknowledge the fact that Leanardo da Vinci and H.G Wells foresaw/invented the tank. I would suggest reading there works in order to better understand the consequences of tanking.
IvanIV
Veteran
And1: 886

Post#15 » by IvanIV » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:52 am

Some people want to tank. You can't deny that it has been a precursor to success in many cases. Why you gotta make "OFFICIAL" threads against it?
Thanks, TZ!
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#16 » by fredericklove » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:56 am

Hi, it's me again.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,016

Post#17 » by Marvin Martian » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:01 am

Thread is about 2 weeks late. Why didn't MU make a push for Millsap if he was interested in winning this year? Why not take a flyer on Bynum? Why are we relying on a 20 year old kid to anchor a playoff caliber defense? Why are we investing 38 million dollars into a SG that cannot shoot or guard? Why are we anointing an inefficient high flyer as a franchise centerpiece?

I feel that MU hasn't done enough at this point, to make sure that this team is competitive for the present or the future.
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Chevy Chase » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:08 am

Ivan,

Yes indeed, some people want to tank. In fact, I'd wager that more than some, perhaps most people want to tank. Why did I make this thread? So that the minority who don't could have a place to discuss what we would like to see (or have seen) happen as Marvin Martian did. If you advocate for tanking than please move along.
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,413

Post#19 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:10 am

Marvin Martian wrote:Thread is about 2 weeks late. Why didn't MU make a push for Millsap if he was interested in winning this year? Why not take a flyer on Bynum? Why are we relying on a 20 year old kid to anchor a playoff caliber defense? Why are we investing 38 million dollars into a SG that cannot shoot or guard? Why are we anointing an inefficient high flyer as a franchise centerpiece?

I feel that MU hasn't done enough at this point, to make sure that this team is competitive for the present or the future.

THIS a million times over.

Far too many missed opportunities to make us better in the short term for me to believe MU is serious about winning this year.
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#20 » by Scraptor » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:13 am

A legit OP like this I can get behind.

Well, if we aren't tanking, we have a few issues.

1. Bench - needs work is an understatement. God if we could get anything out of Landry Fields what a boon it would be. I'm not sure how a guy with a wife as hot as his could have confidence issues.
2. Offense - hopefully the guys we are looking to add in the next few days under Casey can address this. Because this is probably going to be a key to our whole season.
3. Defense - I keep saying this, but this hack-the-opposition defense is one of our real Achilles' heels. It absolutely kills our transition offense. If we had an elite halfcourt offense we might make it work but we need those easy buckets! Bah.

I'm tired of praying for organic growth, but at this point what else can we hope for? Swapping Hansbrough for Bargs isn't going to do a damn thing.

Return to Toronto Raptors