ImageImageImageImageImage

Landry Fields [Merged]

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

simple_jack
General Manager
And1: 17,593

Re: Landry Fields [Merged] 

Post#141 » by simple_jack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:35 pm

tommer wrote:Casey got lucky with this move.

Man-to-man, post D against one player for 15 minutes of game time is pretty much the easiest assignment to slide into for some who's barely played in 3 months.

When BKN really starts sagging off Fields and plays 5-on-4 defense while he's out there, that's when Casey's gonna regret not giving Fields more playing time down the stretch.

Fields won't get away with 0 FGA again for the rest of this series. He's gonna have to take a few shots and/or make a meaningful contribution on offense to keep the BKN defence remotely honest.

Only problem is Fields is actually very capable and smart.

He's obviously one of our worse shooters but he's always moving, slashing, and cutting.

It's not like he's Reggie Evans playing on the wing.
NBJ13
Head Coach
And1: 7,196

Post#142 » by NBJ13 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:45 pm

^^ Agreed, cuts... slashes and moves well without the ball, has some play making skills... it's just his shooting that's a liability.

Landry on the floor offensively does not hurt them as much as Demar does defensively right now
simple_jack
General Manager

Post#143 » by simple_jack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Just like what happened to DJ if Landry was on another team like Chicago he would flourish.

His ability defensively and his intelligence/playmaking skills making him an extremely valuable player.

He will also surprise a lot of people with his athleticism.

If Jimmy Butler can start in this league then so can Fields.

Not sure why we've been going so long with Salmons when he's clearly way past expiry.
Yungstar
Senior
And1: 157

Post#144 » by Yungstar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Was good to see Fields get out there. Shame it wasn't done sooner or in Game 1. To think how little burn he got throughout the season. Can't say I had a problem with it, but just glad he was able to come in as cold as he was, and make an impact last night.

Not really worried about his offense. He has solid IQ and if he does his usual slashing/cutting to basket moves, he will be able to get a bucket or two in order to keep the Nets D honest.
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#145 » by RaptorNews » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:13 pm

In not worried about fields offense when his only replacement is Salmons
tommer
Senior
And1: 198

Post#146 » by tommer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:16 pm

simple_jack wrote:

Man-to-man, post D against one player for 15 minutes of game time is pretty much the easiest assignment to slide into for some who's barely played in 3 months.

When BKN really starts sagging off Fields and plays 5-on-4 defense while he's out there, that's when Casey's gonna regret not giving Fields more playing time down the stretch.

Fields won't get away with 0 FGA again for the rest of this series. He's gonna have to take a few shots and/or make a meaningful contribution on offense to keep the BKN defence remotely honest.

He's obviously one of our worse shooters but he's always moving, slashing, and cutting.

Not sure if you're disagreeing with me, but for what it's worth I completely agree with everything you've said.

Would you agree that it would have been nice if Casey had sacrificed a few of Salmons' precious minutes down the stretch and made some effort to integrate/experiment with Fields in the offence during the regular season?

Sure he's better than Salmons on O, but he's still worse than a well-tested Landry Fields.

The correct answer is actually a question -- "What would Poppovich do?"
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#147 » by pbj » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:16 pm

simple_jack wrote:Just like what happened to DJ if Landry was on another team like Chicago he would flourish.

His ability defensively and his intelligence/playmaking skills making him an extremely valuable player.

Not sure why we've been going so long with Salmons when he's clearly way past expiry.

I think Landry's jumper is better than we think.. I feel like if he had been given 15mpg all season (even the last 20 games), he would have reached a level of confidence and comfort with it by now.

I thought he should have been getting Salmon's minutes for the last 2 months, since he went cold as ice, and if he had, we'd have some legitimate wing depth now.
simple_jack
General Manager

Post#148 » by simple_jack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:25 pm

tommer wrote:
simple_jack wrote:

Not sure if you're disagreeing with me, but for what it's worth I completely agree with everything you've said.

Would you agree that it would have been nice if Casey had sacrificed a few of Salmons' precious minutes down the stretch and made some effort to integrate/experiment with Fields in the offence during the regular season?

Sure he's better than Salmons on O, but he's still worse than a well-tested Landry Fields.

"What would Poppovich do?"

I think Casey fell in love with Salmons. Hate salmons or not he was partly responsible for that early success we had after the trade.

He played solid defense and was making smart veteran decisions on offense. He also provided a good ball handler.

But I think age caught up to him but for some reason Casey kept going with him.

Fields should replace him for the rest of the series. If we want any chance of winning this series. With Fields in you can switch on the hard screens they're setting cause of his versatility.

Popovich would start Fields and not even think twice.

Ross would probably be more effective off the bench in this specific series.
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#149 » by m83588333 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:33 pm

I don't hate Salmons I hate how Casey used him. I like Novak don't like seeing him in the post defending.Its more hating Casey's rotations than the players. Salmons at the 3 is doomed to fail.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,218

Post#150 » by niQ » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Just wanted to jump in here to say Fields was a nice surprise in Game 2! Did a lot of good things that you don't see on the boxscore. He pretty much kept JJ quiet. Hopefully see more of this in game 3.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#151 » by Volcano » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 pm

pbj wrote:
simple_jack wrote:Just like what happened to DJ if Landry was on another team like Chicago he would flourish.

I think Landry's jumper is better than we think.. I feel like if he had been given 15mpg all season (even the last 20 games), he would have reached a level of confidence and comfort with it by now.

I thought he should have been getting Salmon's minutes for the last 2 months, since he went cold as ice, and if he had, we'd have some legitimate wing depth now.

Post-surgery, his mechanics are all messed up. I think his arm is damaged goods and he's unable to regain a proper shooting motion.

I'm guessing if he's wide open, he may hit 1/3 or 1/4 three pointers. If he slashes to the basket and gets fouled, he'll likely split his FT's. Hopefully he's regained some of his shooting, but if Casey didn't play him all season, it's probably because his shot wasn't back in practice.

If he does the following, he shouldn't be too much of a liability if the Nets adjust:

1. Makes good passes/facilitates the offense/makes plays

2. Takes care of the ball. If Fields can run a play without turning it over..that would be an improvement.

3. Punishes the Nets if they sag off of him - either by making his shot or cutting to the basket

4. Doesn't take bad shots - if he isn't taking a shot, it just means someone better is. Compare it to Ross's 1/8 for example..all those missed shots going to PP/GV/DD/Lowry would have helped the team. Fields going 0/0 hurt the team much less.

5. Gets offensive rebounds - remember Fields is a strong rebounder for his position. If teams sag off him, there will be no one boxing out.

Also keep in mind Fields should only be getting 15-20 min
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#152 » by Volcano » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:47 pm

simple_jack wrote:
I think Casey fell in love with Salmons. Hate salmons or not he was partly responsible for that early success we had after the trade.

He played solid defense and was making smart veteran decisions on offense. He also provided a good ball handler.

Fields should replace him for the rest of the series. If we want any chance of winning this series. With Fields in you can switch on the hard screens they're setting cause of his versatility.

I don't think Fields should start unless you put PP at the 4. But if you take out Ross and Amir you're losing two defenders while only adding 1. Ross is struggling, but he's still not as bad as DD/Vasquez defensively (GV's D surprised me in the 2nd game though).

I'd rather keep starting Ross, but match him up with the Nets bench later on in the game. The thing is..we still need him for defense, so he'll still be playing against the Net's better players. Other than Fields, Ross is our only other defensive wing.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,055

Post#153 » by rarefind » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:51 pm

simple_jack wrote:

Fields' did a great job of not forcing. You make it seem as if Landry Fields is unable of making open shots and lay ins around the basket. By no means is he going to play his way off the floor on the offensive end. The fact that he doesn't force his game is incredible. He knows his role, and is playing within it. He has shown that he will get his offensive game going based on what the D gives him - which I wouldn't change for anything. Sure, his shot is definitely not automatic at this point but it isn't at the point where he is going to pass up open looks to keep Brooklyn from an aggressive help defence leaving him routinely. If can play high end D on JJ and can give you 40% from the field in the playoffs you take that every single time.
simple_jack
General Manager

Post#154 » by simple_jack » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:57 pm

Volcano wrote:
simple_jack wrote:

I don't think Fields should start unless you put PP at the 4. But if you take out Ross and Amir you're losing two defenders while only adding 1. Ross is struggling, but he's still not as bad as DD/Vasquez defensively (GV's D surprised me in the 2nd game though).

I'd rather keep starting Ross, but match him up with the Nets bench later on in the game. The thing is..we still need him for defense, so he'll still be playing against the Net's better players. Other than Fields, Ross is our only other defensive wing.

I don't mind Ross starting. I like the fact that at any moment he can light up a team and drop an easy 20 points.

He is our best perimeter defender but the reality is he can't guard Joe Johnson or Pierce if they decide to post up.

But he can easily tear apart the smaller guys off the Nets bench.
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#155 » by m83588333 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:02 pm

Ross should tear up Anderson if he is on the floor. Low priority assignmnent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#156 » by Natural11 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:20 am

Well at least we know what happened. Salmons had a bad back in game 2 and that's the only reason that Fields even saw the court. Unfortunately he bricked a lay-up, so that's the last we'll see of him. Welcome back John Salmons.
Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Post#157 » by Kenyon009 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:34 pm

The best line up is

Val
Patterson
Fields
DeRozan
Lowry

Them you can interchange (offense defense sub) Novak and Vasquez for DeRozan and Fields. It'll force kidd to coach and it'll show our players we will play our game.

When the original 5 I posted start (with fields) we have a stronger defense and can rely on the Lowry, DeRozan and Val pick and roll. We can push the ball or play half decent in the half court. After about two minutes of Novak I'd sub in DeRozan and Amir Johnson.

Val
Amir
DeRozan
Lowry
Vasquez

Then when we decide to use Novak and Vasquez. So Novak would possibly be on Joe Johnson. We still have control. He can't post up a nearly 7 for Novak there's a size advantage in our favor! Then we will make them pay for doubling Val with shooting from Novak, Patterson, Vasquez, and Lowry.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to Toronto Raptors