ImageImageImageImageImage

SOTD - James Johnson improvement

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Re: SOTD - James Johnson improvement 

Post#21 » by Hendrix » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:07 pm

m83588333 wrote:
Hendrix wrote:
m83588333 wrote:Didn't Gay have a similar story in Memphis. SF playing with 2 bigs scoring efficiently.

No, Gay's shot distribution was not really different with Memphis.

But his efficiency went down a lot without two bigs drawing defenses in so he could be left alone close to the basket mid-range. I like JJ @ 2.5M but there are similarities

Again, not really.

He shot a career high ts% in Sac this year. And, he wasn't really anymore efficient with the Grizz after they got Gasol,and Zach.

The only real similiarities I'm seeing is that they played for the Grizz.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
m83588333
Analyst
And1: 1,383

Post#22 » by m83588333 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Hendrix wrote:
m83588333 wrote:
Hendrix wrote:
No, Gay's shot distribution was not really different with Memphis.

But his efficiency went down a lot without two bigs drawing defenses in so he could be left alone close to the basket mid-range. I like JJ @ 2.5M but there are similarities

Again, not really.

He shot a career high ts% in Sac this year. And, he wasn't really anymore efficient with the Grizz after they got Gasol,and Zach.

The only real similiarities I'm seeing is that they played for the Grizz.

Wasn't that also because of Cousins drawing a double leaving him open for short 2 and layups and posting.

James Johnson even with Gays efficiencies in Toronto is an improvement since he's not taking 30+ shots. He can also abuse players like Joe Johnson and Melo in the post.
Using Tapatalk
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#23 » by team edward » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
team edward wrote:I think it's a safe assumption he got some easier shots in Mem Bc of the focus on Gasol and Zach. Here, that won't happen. But - he's not here because of offensive prowess, he's here to make stops.

Eh, I dunno. That attention helps perimeter shooters. For guys like JJ, that just means the paint is more clogged up.

Maybe I misread it, but the stats seemed to suggest a significant increase in his percentages from 3-10 and especially 10-16 feet. Unless he became a much better shooter (unlikely), this says to me he got open midrange shots ... because somebody was doubling Zach or Gasol.

For our team, I think most of Salmon's shots were open threes, and JJ's 3P% didn't really improve - in fact got worse. So assuming he is going to substantially replicate Salmon's shots, I'm not expecting any real offensive contribution other than running the floor. I am however looking forward to him blocking 3-point shots and ruining Johnson's game against us.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#24 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:13 pm

team edward wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
team edward wrote:I think it's a safe assumption he got some easier shots in Mem Bc of the focus on Gasol and Zach. Here, that won't happen. But - he's not here because of offensive prowess, he's here to make stops.

Eh, I dunno. That attention helps perimeter shooters. For guys like JJ, that just means the paint is more clogged up.

Maybe I misread it, but the stats seemed to suggest a significant increase in his percentages from 3-10 and especially 10-16 feet. Unless he became a much better shooter (unlikely), this says to me he got open midrange shots ... because somebody was doubling Zach or Gasol.

For our team, I think most of Salmon's shots were open threes, and JJ's 3P% didn't really improve - in fact got worse. So assuming he is going to substantially replicate Salmon's shots, I'm not expecting any real offensive contribution other than running the floor. I am however looking forward to him blocking 3-point shots and ruining Johnson's game against us.

3% of his shots came from 10-16 feet. That's 9 shots on the season. So that % is meaningless. 3-10 feet has been the same % (~40%) for years now.

The biggest takeaway from his shooting data is that almost half of his shots came from 0-3 feet in Memphis.

More importantly if you watch Memphis you'll notice that Gasol and Z-Bo don't generate a lot of open shots for teammates due to the space they take up. Memphis always had to grind hard for points.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#25 » by deeps6x » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:21 pm

I'm hoping it works out for him in Toronto and that he sticks to the role Casey defines for him.

Side note: I keep seeing the interview clip of him on the summer league broadcast, but you can only see him from one side. Just curious as to what his neck tattoo is supposed to say. I can only see 'MIN' on the side.

Someone tell me the whole tat is VET MIN and I'll laugh my ass off.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#26 » by team edward » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:32 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
team edward wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

3% of his shots came from 10-16 feet. That's 9 shots on the season. So that % is meaningless. 3-10 feet has been the same % (~40%) for years now.

The biggest takeaway from his shooting data is that almost half of his shots came from 0-3 feet in Memphis.

More importantly if you watch Memphis you'll notice that Gasol and Z-Bo don't generate a lot of open shots for teammates due to the space they take up. Memphis always had to grind hard for points.

Well in that case he has learned not to shoot unless close to the basket or wide open. So I'm still happy.
Statistician MK
Junior
And1: 424

Post#27 » by Statistician MK » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:24 pm

Wow... I didn't have idea that last season James Johnson had higher PER (Player Efficiency Rating) than Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, Deron Williams, DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday, Monta Ellis, Kemba Walker, Gordon Hayward, Chandler Parsons, Trevor Ariza, Nicolas Batum, Rajon Rondo, Lance Stephenson and many other NBA stars... It's really amazing!!! :)
We all have different opinions, and that is one thing that makes this forum great.
gdroz
Senior
And1: 76

Post#28 » by gdroz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 pm

Statistician MK wrote:Wow... I didn't have idea that last season James Johnson had higher PER (Player Efficiency Rating) than Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, Deron Williams, DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday, Monta Ellis, Kemba Walker, Gordon Hayward, Chandler Parsons, Trevor Ariza, Nicolas Batum, Rajon Rondo, Lance Stephenson and many other NBA stars... It's really amazing!!! :)

That is a pleasant surpirse
Ajinca fits the Raptors' mold as a skilled player from Europe, but has never shown any signs of succeeding at the NBA level

Return to Toronto Raptors