ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Fall-out if Sterling remains

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Doc quits and then what?

Nothing else, the players and organization honors their contracts
63%
Players refuse to play
22%
Sterling sues everyone (I think this is a given)
15%

Total votes: 46

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,652

Re: OT: Fall-out if Sterling remains 

Post#41 » by Psubs » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:38 pm

artsncrafts wrote:Clippers don't play -> Timberwolves sneak into 8th seed -> wolves win Championship -> Love re signs! -> Lebron weeps :'(

mrdressup
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,268

Post#42 » by mrdressup » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:40 pm

The way I see it Sterling's position is not that strong unless his goal is to just make trouble in the short term for everyone. The court could hand him his team back and the NBA can just let his franchise implode from under his feet. He may have a semblance of team in the near future, but he will not have a team down the road. One by one the valuable contracts will expire and desirable players will simply jump ship for similar contracts elsewhere. The clippers would be more or less doomed to signing unwanted players and novelty acts. Fan support would plummet. In time the franchise would simply be worth a lot less that it is now. I wouldn't even fight him. He's already lost the war (he's done as an NBA owner in the court of public opinion) and he's now trying to win smaller battles where he can win them (in the court of law).
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#43 » by hankscorpioLA » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:34 pm

YoungG wrote:I could see the team at least not playing one game to show solidarity and their stance on this issue. Racism is pure ignorance and should not be allowed anywhere in this world. We have enough issues at the current moment than dealing with more ignorance.

Yes...racism is ignorance and should not be tolerated.

So....why are we sitting out the game again?

Instead, why not do something productive and play the game but donate all your pay to a charity that helps people in African American communities.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#44 » by hankscorpioLA » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:46 pm

[Steps on soapbox]

In all these Sterling threads I see a lot of outrage and anger expressed at the man for his ignorance. And I see people questioning the actions of others who may have associated with this racist in the past. Its almost as though people wait for someone to behave in an unambiguously awful way so that they can spew forth with their judgemental vitriol.

We know that Donald Sterling is a racist. We know that racism should not be tolerated. And yet, we all know that racism and other forms of hatred and bigotry are out there. We know its out there and yet, for the most part, we don't do anything about it. Expressions of rage and anger are pretty much all most people are willing to commit to the cause. Its as though we think that if we demonstrate just how much we hate racists, then that is all we have to do about the problem.

If we are going to throw Donald Sterling up on the cross for being a racist, is that enough? Or is our anger wasted if we don't actually DO something about racism and bigotry in the world? Don't get me wrong. I want to see Sterling punished for his stupidity and ignorance. But is that actually going to change anything that really matters?

And if not, then what will change something that matters?

[steps off soapbox]
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
Naija Boy
Banned User
And1: 2,242

Post#45 » by Naija Boy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:
YoungG wrote:I could see the team at least not playing one game to show solidarity and their stance on this issue. Racism is pure ignorance and should not be allowed anywhere in this world. We have enough issues at the current moment than dealing with more ignorance.

Yes...racism is ignorance and should not be tolerated.

So....why are we sitting out the game again?

Instead, why not do something productive and play the game but donate all your pay to a charity that helps people in African American communities.

Yeah, this is ridiculous.
The Watcher
Senior
And1: 171

Post#46 » by The Watcher » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:
tylrrr wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Noooo.....pretty sure it's 100% about racism.

Doc Rivers is only fooling himself if he wants us to believe he didn't know Donald Sterling was a racist when he signed on.

It's about public perception. Nothing more.

I think all of these are oversimplifications. Its not just about money or racism or public perception. Its about all three. The league is not a moral police force. It is governed by a constitution and by-laws that set out specific conditions under which it can act.

That is why Sterling is not being booted for being racist and why the league did not take action against him before. He is being booted for making explicitly racist comments. This may seem like a subtle difference, but its not. The basis for the NBA's decision is that his actions caused and have the potential to cause even more material damage to the league. The rationale for that conclusion is the action of the sponsors who immediately pulled their money from the league. Without that result, the NBA would not really have any basis to act against Sterling.

You nailed it, Hank, great post.
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,276

Post#47 » by orbesnet » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:03 pm

Certainly the board or whomever is in control of the team will say the show must go on, but as a player can you really do the same?

Donating your salary from a game is a nice thought but does nothing to hurt Sterling's interests or improve the moral landscape.

If Sterling was a known entity and this was just him getting caught, who else has this kind of reputation amongst the owners? Anyone else?
Pascal to the future.
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#48 » by roundhead0 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:09 pm

I think as long as the NBA makes it clear that they are doing what they can and are being held up by the courts which is beyond their power, then I don't think much happens.
mrsocko
Sixth Man
And1: 873

Post#49 » by mrsocko » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:29 pm

Stay on the job and don't try.

0-82 baby!!!

Make millions and also make a point. You a racist, ur not makin money off my carcass.

Better yet stitch "Sterling Sucks" on your uniform sleeve.
Dick expectation level 0/5
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#50 » by cammac » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:15 am

The reality is that the NBA board of governors can take the franchise away and sell it and they will do it. While this is about racism it isn't a issue in the NBA revoking his franchise.

The NBA is sitting it out until there is a decision on the family trust which I believe will come down on the side of his almost as despicable wife. Sterling is then free to sue whom ever he wants but in the end the trust is culpable is covering any damage to the NBA and that doesn't preclude the NBA counter suing Sterling and likely getting damages.
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#51 » by Danchan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:39 am

mrdressup wrote:The way I see it Sterling's position is not that strong unless his goal is to just make trouble in the short term for everyone. The court could hand him his team back and the NBA can just let his franchise implode from under his feet. He may have a semblance of team in the near future, but he will not have a team down the road. One by one the valuable contracts will expire and desirable players will simply jump ship for similar contracts elsewhere. The clippers would be more or less doomed to signing unwanted players and novelty acts. Fan support would plummet. In time the franchise would simply be worth a lot less that it is now. I wouldn't even fight him. He's already lost the war (he's done as an NBA owner in the court of public opinion) and he's now trying to win smaller battles where he can win them (in the court of law).

He's eighty and still incredibly wealthy. i think he rather see the team/league/wife burn before caring the dollar value of his franchise in a couple of years.
TankNation123
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,828

Post#52 » by TankNation123 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:43 am

i'll start bidding for the clippers at $1
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,782

Post#53 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:56 am

Um....do the Lakers have a head coach yet? If not, there ya go. Doc Rivers to the Lakers.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#54 » by J-Roc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:24 am

hankscorpioLA wrote:[Steps on soapbox]

In all these Sterling threads I see a lot of outrage and anger expressed at the man for his ignorance. And I see people questioning the actions of others who may have associated with this racist in the past. Its almost as though people wait for someone to behave in an unambiguously awful way so that they can spew forth with their judgemental vitriol.

We know that Donald Sterling is a racist. We know that racism should not be tolerated. And yet, we all know that racism and other forms of hatred and bigotry are out there. We know its out there and yet, for the most part, we don't do anything about it. Expressions of rage and anger are pretty much all most people are willing to commit to the cause. Its as though we think that if we demonstrate just how much we hate racists, then that is all we have to do about the problem.

If we are going to throw Donald Sterling up on the cross for being a racist, is that enough? Or is our anger wasted if we don't actually DO something about racism and bigotry in the world? Don't get me wrong. I want to see Sterling punished for his stupidity and ignorance. But is that actually going to change anything that really matters?

And if not, then what will change something that matters?

[steps off soapbox]

Everyone turning on the racist Sterling in such a public way does quite a bit to cut out racism.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Return to Toronto Raptors