ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Grantland feature on Sham (a.k.a. Mark Deeks)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

OT: Grantland feature on Sham (a.k.a. Mark Deeks) 

Post#1 » by Rhettmatic » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:01 pm

Pretty interesting read for those of us who frequent shamsports.com for salary info:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mark- ... racts-cba/

Imagine spending a dozen hours or more a day researching and watching the NBA in a country where the games come on at midnight and end at 7 a.m. and basketball is so disregarded that your home country cut the funding for its Olympic team. That should give you an idea of how unusual Deeks’s rise to prominence is.

He’s a self-made, self-employed lay-expert in the most confusing and misunderstood area of a sport that is barely more than a fringe curiosity in his home country. Somehow, Deeks, originally from “a small village in the English countryside that no one has ever heard of,” has managed to cultivate a web of contacts that give him not just salary information, but incentives, trade kickers, cap percentages, and all the cascading minutiae that goes into the NBA contract sausage.

During the NBA season, an average day for Deeks goes like this: Wake at around 2 p.m. Catch up on social media, emails, and the Internet. Write for several hours. Pick up his girlfriend from work. Maybe fill in at his old job, teaching an after-school science program. Then, when game time rolls around at about midnight, it’s taking notes and monitoring the discussion on social media until six or seven in the morning. Sleep. Repeat. “I have no concept of mornings or weekends.”

“I’ve been fascinated by the fact that it seems like he has better contacts than a lot of us,” said Bleacher Report’s Howard Beck, formerly of the L.A. Daily News and the New York Times. “There are plenty of guys who have been covering this league for years, who don’t have the info he has.”
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Re: OT: Grantland feature on Sham (a.k.a. Mark Deeks) 

Post#2 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:07 pm

Good Stuff, posts on the Chicago board under "Sham" I believe too.

Deeks is open about wanting to find a job in an NBA front office. Many people I spoke to think it’s possible. “When people ask me if I know anyone,” said Larry Coon, who runs cbafaq.com, “I tell them Deeks.”

Goodluck man, love the site.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#3 » by J-Roc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:09 pm

The first contract he ever received from a source with “verifiable, indisputable accuracy” was the 2007-08 rookie deal of Sasquatch-like Bulls big man Aaron Gray.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#4 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Nice article.

Deeks' career trajectory probably represents the best case scenario for RealGM forum addicts who can't stop consuming basketball knowledge :lol:

(except in his case, he may actually be useful to a team!)
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#5 » by daswunderboy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Nice article.

Deeks' career trajectory probably represents the best case scenario for RealGM forum addicts who can't stop consuming basketball knowledge :lol:

I'd imagine a Raptor Real GM poster would just create a website about which pundit hates Toronto more.

With that, he'd still have a shot at running the Timberwolves, but that's about it.
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#6 » by wtcantfw » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks for posting. I've always wondered how Deeks does what he does from across the pond. It's pretty amazing.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#7 » by C Court » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:45 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:Good Stuff, posts on the Chicago board under "Sham" I believe too.

Has posted here too over the years - even though he is a Bulls fan.

Posted a couple of times when the Raps played the Nets in London, I believe his first ever live NBA games.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#8 » by jonny three time » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Good for Sham and good on Grantland as well for recognizing a fans work and the value and legitimacy of it. Most major sports sites try to ignore upstarts and have that corporate/TV approach where they look down on anything or anyone that isn't a major corporation as well.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,216

Post#9 » by Dalek » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:27 pm

The CBA knowledge and his connections are fantastic for Sham, but after an article like this, I wouldn't be surprised if he disappeared from public sight due to the huge exposure.

I think the article missed his funny side/obsessive side, as it relates to basketball. He is an excellent tracker of foreign leagues and finds out what happened to former NBA players and the prospects who went bust.

He is an expert at tracking the criminal history of former NBA guys, which is often more fascinating than their in-game impact.

I also liked his borderline insulting player reviews. There was some pretty witty stuff:

"Dahntay Jones - Dahntay never offered the "three" part of the three-and-D role player, and has his athleticism has waned, so has any effectiveness. Nevertheless, he is still represented by Priority Sports, and thus is always a candidate for a comeback."
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#10 » by J-Roc » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Beatbox wrote:Thanks for posting. I've always wondered how Deeks does what he does from across the pond. It's pretty amazing.

And we'll still wonder because as expected he didn't give away how he gets his info.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,406

Post#11 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:05 pm

Best in the business.

Speaking of which, he updated salaries yesterday, and Patterson's contract structure is as unique as I've ever seen. Starting at 5.8 in year 1, up to 6.25 in year 2, and down to 6 in year 3.
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#12 » by brownbobcat » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:47 pm

Badonkadonk wrote:Nice article.

Good for him, have used his site a ton - for my own selfish purposes, hope it doesn't disappear if he ever gets employed by a team.

Side note, I also believe one of the old-time posters on the Raptors usenet group, Ed Kupfer, found work as an analyst for Houston.
El Bow
Pro Prospect
And1: 667

Post#13 » by El Bow » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:00 pm

Centre Court wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:Good Stuff, posts on the Chicago board under "Sham" I believe too.

Has posted here too over the years - even though he is a Bulls fan.

Posted a couple of times when the Raps played the Nets in London, I believe his first ever live NBA games.

Relative link
With apologies to their combined 34-87 record, the Toronto Raptors and the New Jersey Nets had not played an interesting game all season heading into last weekend. It was known in advance that the two teams would struggle this season, and any optimism to the contrary has been roundly denounced. Both teams are building for the future, and rightly so. But it comes at the expense of the present. [...]

My gut instinct was to support the Raptors, purely on account of their recent trade for ex-Bulls forward, James Johnson. Since I was rooting for Johnson a mere fortnight ago, it would have been a simple segway to use for these games, especially given that the Raptors have immediately thrust Johnson into their starting lineup. However, Johnson wasn't exactly a key component of the Bulls lineup at any point during his time there; in fact, he didn't even play as many minutes for them as Eric Piatkowski did. So with that argument suitably weakened, and with no other obvious affinity to either team lined up, I settled for a coin flip while waiting in the queue for a burger at Liverpool Street McDonald's (which, incidentally, now has greeters. Tough gig.)

The coin decreed that I was to support the Nets. So, that's what I did. And as it turned out, the pound coin that I had gone and turned into a strawberry sundae proved dutifully prophetic.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#14 » by Fairview4Life » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:12 pm

I remember a few years ago when he flat out called a ridiculously specific minor move the Grizzlies should make in order to save a small amount of cash, before the season began, and the Griz obliged at the deadline. Or something like that. Didn't they use him as a consultant or something for a little bit after that? Am I remembering the right story?

He also later basically called the Grizzlies a pack of **** for dicking around Xavier Henry's rookie deal. So maybe not.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Vorticity
Head Coach
And1: 4,918

Post#15 » by Vorticity » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:03 pm

he used to occasionally post here too, pretty witty guy with an amazing sense of Brit humor
Zona Zoo wrote:
spudwebb wrote:OKC has one black guy in the crowd

Russell Westbrook?

sig by http://www.turbozone.ca
Young Moosehead
Veteran
And1: 4,025

Post#16 » by Young Moosehead » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:30 pm

You can't blame him for not being a Raps fan.

I have been living in the UK for the last two years and you wouldn't believe the media bias against Raptors. We don't even get two minutes at the end of the sport programs. Its like they don't know we signed Kyle Lowry.

Toronto don't get no respect.
“It’s like being the ugly step child… I’m 6’9 in my heart.” - FVV
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#17 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:12 am

I was in London during the playoffs and couldn't find an NBA score.

I've been going to Deeks' site for years. Hope he gets paid so I don't have to feel badly about never donating more than links.

Return to Toronto Raptors