ImageImageImageImageImage

Windhorst From ESPN: Love Deal To Cleveland 99% Done

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

mg
General Manager
And1: 4,031

Re: Windhorst From ESPN: Love Deal To Cleveland 99% Done 

Post#121 » by mg » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:12 pm

Good deal for both teams.

Once LeBron went back to the Cavs they had to change gears to win now. They will be a very dynamic team on offense but should try and find a rim protector to play with Love/Bron/Kyrie.

Great haul for Minny considering everyone knows Love is out of there next summer. They should at least be fun to watch with Rubio, Wiggins, Lavine, Bennett, Dieng, Muhammad this coming season. They could be a force 3-4 years down the road especially if they end up with a top pick in next year's draft. They should really look long term and not bother wasting assets for placeholders like Thad Young. Wiggins has to be disappointed he won't be playing with Bron on national tv but he should get the opportunity to eventually become 'the man' in Minny. Having a PG like Rubio should help the development of both Wiggins and Bennett.
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#122 » by suntzuballin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:52 pm

Wiggs will have a bigger chance to win roy

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM Forums mobile app
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,009

Post#123 » by kalel123 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm

I can understand why a deal is being made to include Wiggins. Cavs are under pressure to make moves now to win especially with LeBron James only signed to two-year deal. That pressure is probably allowing Wolves to have leverage although they should have none. There's enough time left till trade deadline that Wolves can still bluff their way in an effort to get Wiggins. I think if they waited long enough, Cavs wouldn't have had to include Wiggins but I guess they feel they don't have that time to wait.

Think Cavs may eventually regret this decision.
Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#124 » by Young_Buc » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:59 pm

Getting Wiggins for a player who wants out is highway robbery. And this player isn't a Chris Paul/Kevin Durant/Russell Westbrook level player it's Kevin Love!!! (who's no slouch but it clearly not worth a prospect like Wiggins at this point)

This is the equivalent to getting John Wall and another lotto prospect from the Wizards for Chris Bosh when he wanted out.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#125 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:05 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:
Ultimately, they are very different players, but if I had to choose one to go along with LeBron it would be Love without hesitation.

First, Love is a MUCH better passer than Bosh, especially out of the post and on outlets. That means more ball movement and better spacing.

Second, he is a true three point shooter, as opposed to Bosh who is still working on it. That is important because it maximizes what he can do alongside LeBron.

Third he is a much better rebounder, especially on the offensive end. He is bigger and can use his body more effectively.

The one area where Bosh has the edge is in rim protection - but I don't think that outweighs what Love brings to the table.

Having said all that....I am still not sure I like this deal for Cleveland...or for LeBron. Sure, LeBron is 29 and this deal will maximize the assets around him during the next 2-3 years while he is in his prime. And if they wind up winning a championship in those 2-3 years, then all will be well.

However, what Wiggins (and perhaps some of the other young guys they will give up) provides LeBron is an opportunity to prolong his career and perhaps expand his legacy beyond himself. By the end of this season, I expect Wiggins will already prove to be a great defensive player. Within a couple years he could easily at elite level. That is huge because it would mean eventually easing LeBron off having to cover the best wing player on the other team. Wiggins will also be able to take on more and more of an offensive load. IMHO this is the kind of thing that could allow LeBron to both extend his prime and play effective ball at least until 40 - and given his freakish physique, perhaps beyond that.

So the way I see it, if the Cavs can win a championship with Love, then its a good move. But if they don't - if they just come close - then its the kind of deal that could really haunt them...and LeBron.

This is a great post, and naturally I agree with almost everything you said. I really do think that Love's passing will make a huge difference, not just to provide more spacing and ball movement for Lebron, but also for outlets to guys like Waiters so that they can get easy transition buckets from time to time.

At the same time, I share your hesitation on the benefits of the trade as a whole for Cleveland. Not only can the potential defensive help that Wiggins brings help take some of the strain off of Lebron, but any trade with the Wolves is likely to be lop-sided in terms of the numbers of useful players going each way. One of the few problems with the recent Miami teams was the complete lack of depth. Even though Love is almost certainly the best player in this prospective trade, a 3-for-1 deal or something (in essence) of Love for Wiggins, Bennett and Waiters erodes some of the great depth that Cleveland's roster has due to its lottery luck of the past few years.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#126 » by MrBojangelz71 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:13 pm

Lebron is a home wrecker.

Cut to 2 years time, when Gilbert is looking at a harsh tax payment, forcing him to make financial decision that deplete the Cavs depth, only to watch Lebron take his talents to another team that was able to stock their talent, rince and repeat.

But Gilbert can take solace in knowing that Wiggens was the right #1 pick, as he watches from afar.

I feel for Wiggens thought, having the start of his career play out like this. They should have just moved the pick on draft night so Wigs could at least have the priviledge of slipping on the jersey of the team he played his rookie season with.
FTW
Bench Warmer
And1: 530

Post#127 » by FTW » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:17 pm

I disagree with many here and think this is not a good thing for Wiggins' career. I don't think unlimited playing time on a losing team is a good thing for a project player with possible work-ethic questions. But we'll see, I suppose.

I'm going to assume that the Cavs required Love's confirmation that he will re-sign with them next year? They're a very good team on paper, but I have a hard time seeing them beating the Spurs.
YogiStewart wrote:no IKEA bed can take 7 years of sexytimes. don't think it could even take 7 years of handytimes.
pharring
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Post#128 » by pharring » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:23 pm

Massively stupid deal by Cleveland. So impatient.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#129 » by MrBojangelz71 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:27 pm

FTW wrote:I disagree with many here and think this is not a good thing for Wiggins' career. I don't think unlimited playing time on a losing team is a good thing for a project player with possible work-ethic questions. But we'll see, I suppose.

I'm going to assume that the Cavs required Love's confirmation that he will re-sign with them next year? They're a very good team on paper, but I have a hard time seeing them beating the Spurs.

Never heard anyone question his work ethic.

His game intensity has been questioned, but that has been the only knock I am aware of.
bballsparkin
RealGM
And1: 7,497

Post#130 » by bballsparkin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 pm

Hero wrote:Wiggins has got to be the most overhyped player ever given what he has shown. He isn't some surefire prospect like KD, Davis or LeBron was. Even if he becomes really good, it's gonna take several years. LeBron should wait till he's 35 to finally have an all star 3rd option? Raptor fans are just being blind homers since he's Canadian once again.

Most bloggers/writers who cover this sport as a living would do this trade in a heartbeat.

It has nothing to do with his nationality. At least not personally. It's because he's athletic and a potential defensive juggernaut. Eh, I've been wrong before on those type of players. The way I see it, with Love or not, Cleveland is not winning next year. In two years Wiggins will bulk up and be more used to the NBA. His defense will improve and hopefully his offense with it.

Who cares what bloggers/writers think. Do they give a **** about the Cavs future? I doubt it. They just want to see Love play with Lebron. Which I admit is a tantalizing fit offensively. It's not like the Cavs are getting ripped off here. I just prefer defense and like the idea of Lebron and Wiggins shutting down players. Also Wiggins in transition with Lebron and Irving.

But I'm now hoping Wiggins and Bennett get traded to the Wolves. Like people have stated the Wolves team would be fun to watch. And then I can go back to hoping the Cavs implode.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#131 » by Hero » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:57 pm

bballsparkin wrote:
Hero wrote:Wiggins has got to be the most overhyped player ever given what he has shown. He isn't some surefire prospect like KD, Davis or LeBron was. Even if he becomes really good, it's gonna take several years. LeBron should wait till he's 35 to finally have an all star 3rd option? Raptor fans are just being blind homers since he's Canadian once again.

Most bloggers/writers who cover this sport as a living would do this trade in a heartbeat.

It has nothing to do with his nationality. At least not personally. It's because he's athletic and a potential defensive juggernaut. Eh, I've been wrong before on those type of players. The way I see it, with Love or not, Cleveland is not winning next year. In two years Wiggins will bulk up and be more used to the NBA. His defense will improve and hopefully his offense with it.

So what you're saying is that, if you had to choose for the next 5 years. You rather LeBron and Kyrie roll with Wiggins over Love.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#132 » by bballsparkin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:08 pm

Love is almost making $16 million. So for the next 5 years I would prefer to roll with Wiggins and what ever other young players the Cavs keep, like Bennett etc. Heck, Lebron might even bolt in 2 years if things don't work out. I know Love is really good but I'm not a big fan of his game. Get a player like Milsap along with Wiggins and Lebron. Also the rookie contract gives flexibility. Bennett never really got a chance to show himself. He'd probably get lets of open looks playing with Lebron. I'd roll with the team and let Lebron elevate every players worth. And once I had an idea make a trade near the deadline if I thought one was needed. Sure, there is risk in that too.
Clementine9
RealGM
And1: 26,001

Post#133 » by Clementine9 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:14 pm

Hero wrote:
bballsparkin wrote:

So what you're saying is that, if you had to choose for the next 5 years. You rather LeBron and Kyrie roll with Wiggins over Love.

I would say yes to that for sure. Though, as a few of us discussed yesterday, it would be better if Kyrie were the one off the team. Lebron/Wiggins/Love.
Lateral Quicks wrote:Gradually JV's minutes will approach zero at the same time his points and rebounds approach infinity - a statistical singularity, if you will. Shrewd move from Nurse.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,449

Post#134 » by mtcan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:50 pm

FTW wrote:I disagree with many here and think this is not a good thing for Wiggins' career. I don't think unlimited playing time on a losing team is a good thing for a project player with possible work-ethic questions. But we'll see, I suppose.

Like I said before...Cavs with Love, Irving, Waiters, Thompson and Varajao as their core is superior to the any of the Heat teams of the last 4 years.

And more Wiggins getting playing time will be huge. This will be his chance to prove himself and to test the theory that he would/would not have dominated had Embiid not been as good as he was. As we had seen...Wiggins put on a show when Embiid was injured. But is Wiggins more MJ or Scottie? Not that there's anything wrong with Scottie Pippen...but he wasn't an alpha dog.
bballsparkin
RealGM

Post#135 » by bballsparkin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 pm

^^counting on Varejao staying healthy seems like a risky proposition. Games played (one strike season)

2010-11 31
2011-12 25
2012-13 25
2013-14 65
Dayne
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#136 » by Dayne » Fri Aug 1, 2014 12:50 am

Yikes! Cleveland is getting fleeced thats for sure. Love is good, but he's also been injured a few times. Regardless of everything, everyone know's he is leaving Minni no matter what. The Wolves should have no leverage whatsoever. No one is willing to surrender much for him BESIDES Cleveland, who are pretty much bidding against themselves. You give up Wiggins, Bennett, AND 1st round picks all for Love? :crazy:
Pass it
Rookie
And1: 883

Post#137 » by Pass it » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:06 am

Ouch at the assets Cleveland will lose.
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#138 » by theSkinny » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:41 am

Just ask Kevin Love?
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,783
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#139 » by Boogie! » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:44 am

just curious though, cleveland doesn't believe wiggins is gonna be ready any time soon? they don't think his potential impact on this team in the next few years is gonna be equal to or greater than kevin love's? because imo, that's the only way you make this trade...
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#140 » by sh00n » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:59 am

Cleveland is going to regret this trade so much in a few years. They get immediately better obviously, but if Wiggins reaches his potential and AB even comes close to recovering from his rookie season, Minny wins that trade by a landslide. Until both of them leave town and come home, at least.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app

Return to Toronto Raptors