ImageImageImageImageImage

Faulkner Of Grizzly Bear Blues: Q&A On JJ And His Fit

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Re: Faulkner Of Grizzly Bear Blues: Q&A On JJ And His Fit 

Post#2 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:40 pm

Good article, alot of stuff weve talked about already in the JJ threads.

But I dont think you should post the guys whole blog post.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#3 » by Rhettmatic » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:50 pm

Yeah, like VVV said, please don't post an entire article -- unfair to those actually generating this content.

Good read, though.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#4 » by Troubadour » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Something I learned earlier today. James Johnson was responsible for 44.5% of his team's blocks while he was on the court last season. That's insane.
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#5 » by MixxSRC » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:58 pm

[video] James Johnson vs Rockets

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v75991777fTXSBbXF
Young Moosehead
Veteran
And1: 4,025

Post#6 » by Young Moosehead » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:02 pm

I don't know if everyone else has seen this but clicking on related JJ youtube videos led to this.

I recognize this might have been posted, but those who enjoy sunlight might not have seen it yet.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXEXvAZD31E[/youtube]

Great read. Remember to click the blog link even if you read it all here folks.
“It’s like being the ugly step child… I’m 6’9 in my heart.” - FVV
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#7 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:05 pm

Troubadour wrote:Something I learned earlier today. James Johnson was responsible for 44.5% of his team's blocks while he was on the court last season. That's insane.

Where did you read that? seems high, but I guess its plausible. He was the best shot blocker on MEM per 100 last year, with 3.1.
Young Moosehead
Veteran

Post#8 » by Young Moosehead » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:21 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Troubadour wrote:Something I learned earlier today. James Johnson was responsible for 44.5% of his team's blocks while he was on the court last season. That's insane.

Where did you read that? seems high, but I guess its plausible. He was the best shot blocker on MEM per 100 last year, with 3.1.

I don't particularly like +/- but he also was tops in Memphis per 100 as well. At 5.1 the next closest was Tony Allen, Courtney Lee and Jamaal Franklin tied at 3.8.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#9 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Young Moosehead wrote:I don't particularly like +/- but he also was tops in Memphis per 100 as well. At 5.1 the next closest was Tony Allen, Courtney Lee and Jamaal Franklin tied at 3.8.

Yea I dont like +/- either, so lets use DRTG/ORTG on vs off court. Rankings among players with over 200 mins on MEM.

ON/OFF

DRTG 99.6 (4th)/101.6 (8th). Thats a differential of -2.0.

ORTG 106.0 (2nd)/103.8 (7th). Thats a +2.2 differential.

Thats some pretty good quality, if he can limit the TOVs, and shoot abit better/less, he should be a relative steal.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,762

Post#10 » by Badonkadonk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 pm

I like the first question (i.e. why did he go from 20+ mins of PT to 'DNP'?). Chris' response:

There were several things that played into it: the return of Tony Allen from injury, Dave Joerger’s dedication to Tayshaun Prince and JJ’s penchant for chaos all immediately pop into my head.

The bolded is pretty much going to dictate whether his second stint here is successful.

As the article states, Joerger's sets are pretty different from the more fluid system Casey uses. Hopefully they can reign him in offensively and he doesn't gamble all over the place defensively (i.e. "he seems to want to affect every single play on the court" from the piece).
Young Moosehead
Veteran

Post#11 » by Young Moosehead » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:57 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Young Moosehead wrote:I don't particularly like +/- but he also was tops in Memphis per 100 as well. At 5.1 the next closest was Tony Allen, Courtney Lee and Jamaal Franklin tied at 3.8.

Yea I dont like +/- either, so lets use DRTG/ORTG on vs off court. Rankings among players with over 200 mins on MEM.

ON/OFF

DRTG 99.6 (4th)/101.6 (8th). Thats a differential of -2.0.

ORTG 106.0 (2nd)/103.8 (7th). Thats a +2.2 differential.

Thats some pretty good quality, if he can limit the TOVs, and shoot abit better/less, he should be a relative steal.

I totally agree with you. I am totally on board with what JJ gives, and I think that he and Ross both have their own defensive looks which will be a good challenge for opposing small forwards. Seeing those numbers I can see why Memphis fans hoped they would see him on the court more as the season progressed. As long as he doesn't try to be Magic I am happy with what he provides for the next few years.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#12 » by pbj » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:02 pm

If it were up to me, we would have never let him go the first time. I could live with his crazy antics, the guy does so much on the court.
Troubadour
RealGM

Post#13 » by Troubadour » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:10 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:

NBA.com stats site.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#14 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 pm

Troubadour wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

NBA.com stats site.

Can you link it? maybe im missing it? I cant find % of team blocks anywhere.

Ive found % of FGAs blocked while on the court, which is 5.0% courtesy of BBREF.
shmoosicle
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,689

Post#15 » by shmoosicle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:36 pm

When he was on the Raptors he was fun to watch because he's so active and does everything out there. Looking forward to seeing what he does with us again.
"I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I was a baller, I wish I had a girl who looked good - I would call her, I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat and a '64 Impala" - Skee-Lo
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#16 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:37 pm

He shot .347% in the corners last season (granted on a 8/23 sample size), though I watched a couple of his games and he looked most comfortable shooting it in the corners than anywhere else on the court, even within the 3 point line. The problem as noted in the article though was that we run a more fluid type of offense. Terrence Ross' ability to catch and shoot under duress beyond the 3 point line was what helped our offense click. James Johnson doesn't have that kind of pull up ability.

He seems like he would thrive under a ISO heavy offense, in that the team has one star that can eat up defensive attention and open the court up for him, and from what I recall we were one of the worst ISO teams in the league. He needs other players creating for him, but our offense is more of a pot luck and he'll need to provide more than he's capable of offering.

I'm pessimistic about James Johnson's second tenure with us but I really do hope it all works out. He's a game changer if he ever learned how to shoot.
Read on Twitter
Troubadour
RealGM

Post#17 » by Troubadour » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:46 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Troubadour wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

NBA.com stats site.

Ive found % of FGAs blocked while on the court, which is 5.0% courtesy of BBREF.

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html#P ... ode=Totals
Valanciunuts
Sixth Man
And1: 929

Post#18 » by Valanciunuts » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:52 pm

Young Moosehead wrote:I don't know if everyone else has seen this but clicking on related JJ youtube videos led to this.

I recognize this might have been posted, but those who enjoy sunlight might not have seen it yet.

WOW. Maybe its just me but he blocked KD's jump shot twice, which is extremely impressive. Thanks for the share.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#19 » by pbj » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:54 pm

Troubadour wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Troubadour wrote:
NBA.com stats site.

http://stats.nba.com/playerStats.html#P ... ode=Totals

We gotta find like 25MPG for this guy somehow. What a freak.
Ku-Bar
Pro Prospect
And1: 475

Post#20 » by Ku-Bar » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:11 pm

Young Moosehead wrote:I don't know if everyone else has seen this but clicking on related JJ youtube videos led to this.

JO school of shot blocking there with the left hand (off hand) most of the time. Or maybe "he's amphibious" like Yogi Berra would say.

Any how, that was great to watch. Looks like next seasons Raptors team is built to sustain injuries with all the bench signings, which is a great way to build a roster in my opinion. Players are going to get nicked up during the year and we need a good bench if we expect to go deeper into the playoffs.
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Return to Toronto Raptors