ImageImageImageImageImage

Tim Leiweke leaving MLSE in 2015 (Update pg 20)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Who do you blame for Tim Leiweke's departure?

Tim Leiweke
17%
Rogers/Bell dysfunction
49%
His family
27%
Bon Jovi
5%
Who cares? I'm glad to see him gone
3%

Total votes: 270

Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Re: Who replaces Tim Leiweke? 

Post#701 » by Matty » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:06 pm

gp2015 wrote:
Matty wrote:Image

No way, he can't even run the Blue Jays properly, how can he handle multiple teams?

But he brought in all those stars a couple of seasons ago.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#702 » by JN » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 pm

If it's BC I quit cheering for the organization.
JN
RealGM

Post#703 » by JN » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:08 pm

joshgc wrote:I would rather have BC than some puckhead.

I'd rather the puckhead, who involves himself a bit on the business end, but lays off anything personnel related.
JN
RealGM

Post#704 » by JN » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:11 pm

I thought I heard that Cohon recently resigned from the CFL.

Could he be stepping into MLSE at some key role, even if it was not head honcho.
disoblige
Head Coach
And1: 792

Re: Tim Leiweke leaving MLSE in 2015 (Update pg 20) 

Post#705 » by disoblige » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:18 pm

UnderdogRaptors wrote:This is bad the Raptors will go back to being the soft team they've always been and get pushed around it seemed like TL brought a attitude that we won't back down from anyone, Idk why he's leaving when he said he wanted to bring championships here :cry: :cry:

he wanted to stay married!
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Post#706 » by ThatClockWork » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Hero wrote:Image

"I'm coming home"

Outta here with that nonsense
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
Hulk_Hogan
Senior
And1: 2,459

Post#707 » by Hulk_Hogan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Tim brought us Masai, therefore, his tenure has been successful brother. The Hulkster wishes him nothing but the best, brother.
suntzuballin
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#708 » by suntzuballin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:40 pm

its sall good he set the bar and axed colangelo..
suntzuballin
Head Coach

Post#709 » by suntzuballin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:43 pm

DG88 wrote:If MLSE hires Bryan Colangelo as new the CEO I might just boycott everything Rogers and Bell.

awww man as long as he stays away!!!!!!!!!from bball operations!!!!!!!!its to risky he probly will try to meddle in bball affairs........
suntzuballin
Head Coach

Post#710 » by suntzuballin » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
TANKNATION wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:Cohon, BC, Shanny, Beeston are all the names ive heard floated.

Edit: On the radio.

wtf BC is actually being considered? I thought yall was bullshtting me :banghead:

What's wrong with BC? He's the hero we deserve.

dood ur joking rite?
JohnnyFlame
Rookie
And1: 254

Post#711 » by JohnnyFlame » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:53 pm

I think the dufii at MLSE was just tired of hearing how smart Tim was and how incredibly stupid they are. So just to spite the masses they did something stupid yet again. The guy was dynamic and made some very impressive moves in a short time period.

As per usual as Raps fans we are in a state of perpetual flux.
BC_IS_A_PLAYA
Starter
And1: 3,878

Post#712 » by BC_IS_A_PLAYA » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Team BC is back
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#713 » by Ado05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Throwback24 wrote:I actually do not care, I hope him all the best. I'm all for trying to retain Colangelos services again, he afterall built this team and deserves a 2nd chance.

He's also well respected around the league.

This about becoming the CEO of MLSE, not the **** GM again. He still has to worry about hockey and soccer and even the Argos.

No thank you to Colangelo. Last thing we need is a yes man.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,411

Post#714 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Rasho is god wrote:
ForeverTFC wrote:
Rasho is god wrote:Why is everyone bashing on Cohon. The only guy with NBA experience. Who was also the best commissioner the CFL ever had. We would be lucky to get him.

The worry is the Argos coming to BMO and TFC being treated as second fiddle in its own house.

He is a good candidate otherwise.

The CFL has thrived and grown in every way except for the Argos under Cohon's guidance, but if his hiring helps the Argos all the better. They should of been in BMO in the first place.

And for anyone who has not heard Cohon speak he rivals TL in ability to sell the kool-aid, probably better than him IMO

BMO is Canada's National Soccer Stadium. Along with Saputo Stadium, it is the only field with actual grass for soccer.

Bringing in the Argos sets this country back on soccer another decade. SSHs, TFC fans, and TFC players had to apply a lot of pressure on management to get grass installed. Also, we can forget about world class players coming to play here on turf.

Take a look at the Women's lawsuit aimed at the CSA for making them play the Women's World Cup on turf.

here have been rumblings for a while that many high-profile American and international players were upset about the event being held on artificial turf, with Megan Rapinoe of the U.S. calling it "bull", and those rumblings have now translated into threatened legal action. Jeff Kassouf of The Equalizer reported Tuesday that a group of approximately 40 top national team players have retained Canadian and American legal counsel, and that those lawyers sent a letter to FIFA and the Canadian Soccer Association July 28 threatening legal action if a response wasn't received by August 4.

David Miller pushed BMO field through council so that this city can have something soccer specific to grow the sport. This is not a Football stadium.

“End the speculation about the Argonauts CFL team coming to BMO. Mr. Leiweke’s suggestion that they might, and the necessary implication that they would play on artificial turf, was the wrong thing to say, at this time in particular. You risk losing the most committed supporters of TFC if the venue is changed to accommodate Canadian football, particularly if turf returns,” Miller wrote.

If anything, turf is less detrimental to baseball, and the Jays can't wait to tear out that carpet and bring in grass.

The Argos need to move to the suburbs, or find their own house in Toronto.

EDIT: Also, let's be real. As much as I respect Cohon, TSN has had as much to do in growing the CFL in Canada, based on their need for summer content once Rogers took the Jays to Sportsnet.
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#715 » by Darkseid » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Double Helix wrote:Considering how passionately he spoke about wanting to change how people didn't want to be here and about how the cold was a non-issue it really is disappointing to hear all this. Even if it isn't him driving it. All the old insecurities about our market resurface.

Brutal.

But I feel like he was successful!

We're a great team now! We win games and winning brings good things. People know the Raptors are just straight legit now. Drake #1 Idol for NBA players, brings great attention to the team.

All of this Tim related. He's still here for now. Maybe until Winter. Maybe he goes South to promote the Raptors while looking for a job whatever.

How can it be brutal?
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#716 » by pspot » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:59 pm

Hope BC comes back to take over this role
Seriously
nm
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#717 » by Ado05 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:05 pm

Article about Overholt

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459940

Canadian Olympic Committee chief executive Chris Overholt is at the head of the list.

Sources tell TSN that Overholt has "absolutely turned the COC around" since he was hired in 2010, first as marketing director, and then as CEO.

Overholt is a Toronto native and a former MLSE employee. He was the company's vice president of sales and service from 1998 to 2003. He knows the company's culture, and also has experience working with the Miami Dolphins and Florida Panthers.

"Chris absolutely would have to be considered a frontrunner," said one source close to MLSE.

Former Madison Square Garden CEO Scott O'Neil, who helped run the New York Rangers and Knicks, would be another candidate.

And O'Neil was a candidate for the MLSE CEO position when Leiweke was hired.

"Scott had a great interview and got along with (MLSE board chair) Larry Tanenbaum very well," a source told TSN. "He was surprised when he didn't get the job."

O'Neil, a former senior VP of marketing with the NBA, is the chief executive of the New Jersey Devils and the Prudential Center in Newark and the Philadelphia 76ers. Both the 76ers and Devils are owned by Josh Harris, a hedge fund millionaire.

The MLSE job would seem to be a more attractive role. "Scott is a great candidate," Peddie said. "He survived dysfunction with MSG, helped new owners in Philadelphia, and is now in New Jersey with an owner who spends way too much money."

MLSE will also probably consider a few internal candidates to replace Leiweke.

At that top of that list would be Dave Hopkinson, the company's chief commercial officer, who has been responsible for helping MLSE boost revenue.

It's also possible that outgoing Canadian Football League Commissioner Mark Cohon, who also worked with the NBA, might be interested in the job. He similarly told sources years ago that he would love the chance to guide Canada's most powerful sports company.

Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,364

Post#718 » by Hero » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:09 pm

IF BC replaces Tim I will give up on the Raptors. It's a shame what is going on with MLSE. Not surprised but disappointed.
Doddage
Veteran
And1: 1,852

Post#719 » by Doddage » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:23 pm

My sympathies, Raps fans. The bright side is that the team is in good hands with Masai.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#720 » by pspot » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:26 pm

Hero wrote:IF BC replaces Tim I will give up on the Raptors. It's a shame what is going on with MLSE. Not surprised but disappointed.

BC is a great salesman/politician, he knows the business of sports

He gets dumped on a lot around here and people seem to gloss over the facts that drafted and resigned derozan, Val, ross, resigned amir, traded for Lowery and. Hired MU
nm

Return to Toronto Raptors