ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the raptors have traded Rudy gay?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

firekil
Rookie
And1: 1,209

Re: Should the raptors have traded Rudy gay? 

Post#41 » by firekil » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:49 pm

We should've traded Dwayne **** Casey. Coaching was always the problem. Instead we give him an extension after a boneheaded mistake in the closing moments of our season. We are like what, last in fastbreak points in the league? With one of the youngest teams that makes total sense. God I hate that elf.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#42 » by timdunkit » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:56 pm

firekil wrote:We should've traded Dwayne **** Casey. Coaching was always the problem. Instead we give him an extension after a boneheaded mistake in the closing moments of our season. We are like what, last in fastbreak points in the league? With one of the youngest teams that makes total sense. God I hate that elf.

Part of the reason our defense is good is because we play at such a slow pace. Theres less gambling, more emphasis on positional defense and transition defense.

Historically speaking, slower pace correlates well with improved DRTG.
SwiftyV
Sixth Man
And1: 1,682

Post#43 » by SwiftyV » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:08 pm

Hell yes he should have been traded. I didn't want him before the trade and was upset when we got him. I expected pretty much everything that happened. He was an inefficient chucker that made entirely too much money. He settled way too much. Never wanted him.

He is genuinely one of the few basketball players that I really dislike. So glad he is off this team. He made this Raptors team entirely too difficult to watch simply because of him.

By the way, Rudy made Team USA before he was a Raptors too...didn't make a difference.
firekil
Rookie
And1: 1,209

Post#44 » by firekil » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:09 pm

timdunkit wrote:
firekil wrote:We should've traded Dwayne **** Casey. Coaching was always the problem. Instead we give him an extension after a boneheaded mistake in the closing moments of our season. We are like what, last in fastbreak points in the league? With one of the youngest teams that makes total sense. God I hate that elf.

Part of the reason our defense is good is because we play at such a slow pace. Theres less gambling, more emphasis on positional defense and transition defense.

Right, Casey would rather slow us down to a grind instead of playing to the team's strengths. We have a young athletic team. We should be running like crazy. Instead we are playing the half-court game, getting owned by Joe Johnson because our last line of defense (Landry Fields!!!) got injured and we can't stop a dribble penetration to save our lives. Is it impossible to have a decent fast-break game and still play good defense? It's certainly beyond the capabilities of defensive guru Dwayne Casey. Just look at how Gay flourished once he was allowed to run in Sacramento.
jps78
Junior
And1: 183

Post#45 » by jps78 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:14 pm

I dont get it. The whole point of not trading Gay would be to sacrifice the bench which to me is stupid. I'd rather have the 20-25 shots Gay took distributed to Grevious, PP, Tross and Demar/Kyle.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#46 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Is the sky blue?
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#47 » by Darkseid » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:00 pm

I believe in Masai.
SportsFan9
Rookie
And1: 1,437

Post#48 » by SportsFan9 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Chemistry is underrated in today's league. Grabbing more talented players doesn't necessarily mean you're team will be better, especially if they don't fit within the system.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#49 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:14 pm

firekil wrote:
timdunkit wrote:

Right, Casey would rather slow us down to a grind instead of playing to the team's strengths. We have a young athletic team. We should be running like crazy. Instead we are playing the half-court game, getting owned by Joe Johnson because our last line of defense (Landry Fields!!!) got injured and we can't stop a dribble penetration to save our lives. Is it impossible to have a decent fast-break game and still play good defense? It's certainly beyond the capabilities of defensive guru Dwayne Casey. Just look at how Gay flourished once he was allowed to run in Sacramento.

Yeah man, Casey was really holding back the team by coaching them to a top 10 Ortg and Drtg. With proper coaching they would have been much better.
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#50 » by agentzero2010 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:30 pm

6-12 with gay

42-22 without gay
TorontoSlaptors
Junior
And1: 319

Post#51 » by TorontoSlaptors » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:37 pm

In hindsight, we made the right decision. It was not going to work here. I knew it was bad, when the most charismatic Raptor Amir Johnson, was all depressed and said it wasn't fun anymore. We made the right decision. We have a better bench from that trade and the playoff experience Raptors fans had enjoyed was super fun.
Please check out our YouTube channel if you get a chance! Raptors all day! - Thumbhais
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,406

Post#52 » by ForeverTFC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:38 pm

We are at the luxury tax line. 4 players that figure to be a big part of our rotation collectively make the same money as Rudy will make this season.

So yes, the Raptors should have traded Rudy Gay. It's that simple.
Rapsdaman
Junior
And1: 76

Post#53 » by Rapsdaman » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:52 pm

Rudy Gay although a good talent, just was a bad fit here. We tried, it didnt work. Though I think if we ever brought him back he would know to play within the team concept especially after seeing how much better we got without him, it still wouldn't work. The only way for it work would be for Gay to accept comming off the bench some can still play to his strengths will trying to avoid the overlap in talent among both players. Regardless, theres no way Gay would accept comming of the bench and even if he did, how much would he expect to earn. He too expensive of a player to have on this team, epecailly for a player with overlapping talents with DeMar.
Maddogfromto
Sixth Man
And1: 63

Post#54 » by Maddogfromto » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:56 pm

I can't believe anyone who watched at all last season would ask that

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
steamed hams
General Manager
And1: 19,431

Post#55 » by steamed hams » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Not sure if srs question
RedX
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,947

Post#56 » by RedX » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:00 pm

No thanks. I'm shocked he's on the US squad, it makes zero sense.
Raps Maniac
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,805

Post#57 » by Raps Maniac » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Of course. Why is there a 3 page discussion on this?
RINSE
Head Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#58 » by RINSE » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:26 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:Why lock this

Rudy gay was having a cold streak when the trade happened and I think that negatively impacted some people views on him

Besides with a different coach maybe they wouldn't even need to trade gay because the guy could stand up to gay like Malone did and tell him to stop chucking

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Are you drunk? Did you selectively erase from your memory the part where the Rudy Gay trade singlehandedly turned our season round?
Brettfinch
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#59 » by Brettfinch » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Lock please?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using RealGM Forums mobile app
chuckdevlin
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,187

Post#60 » by chuckdevlin » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Definitely not. Things turned out horribly
Retire Joey Graham's Number in the ACC #letsgooo #whatnumber?

Return to Toronto Raptors