ImageImageImageImageImage

OT-National Basketball League Of Canada

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

airforcepop
Freshman
And1: 9

Re: OT-National Basketball League Of Canada 

Post#81 » by airforcepop » Mon Sep 1, 2014 4:42 am

DrCoach - thanks for the welcome!

I agree - Brent Jennings is definitely a player that tore it up all summer. I really encourage everyone to watch him sometime this season. Schedule can be found here if anyone is interested: http://www.nblcanada.com/p/14513/nr/100264/nbl-canada-releases-2014-15-regular-season-schedule

As DrCoach said, London is the model franchise, so I would watch them if you guys are in the area.

Just to keep this thread going, here are some recent news from the past couple of days:

U of A bears hoops recruits chose Edmonton despite NCAA interest
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/08/29/u-of-a-bears-hoops-recruits-chose-edmonton-despite-ncaa-interest
** NOTE ** Above article mentions NBLC and uAlberta alumni, Rob Dewar, who was drafted by Windsor and traded to Mississauga

Bolts add former Big Ten standouts
http://www.lfpress.com/2014/08/27/bolts-add-former-big-ten-standouts

Enjoy everyone and have a great Labour Day Monday!
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,324

Post#82 » by DrCoach » Mon Sep 1, 2014 12:30 pm

airforcepop wrote:DrCoach - thanks for the welcome!

I agree - Brent Jennings is definitely a player that tore it up all summer. I really encourage everyone to watch him sometime this season. Schedule can be found here if anyone is interested: http://www.nblcanada.com/p/14513/nr/100264/nbl-canada-releases-2014-15-regular-season-schedule

As DrCoach said, London is the model franchise, so I would watch them if you guys are in the area.

Just to keep this thread going, here are some recent news from the past couple of days:

U of A bears hoops recruits chose Edmonton despite NCAA interest
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/08/29/u-of-a-bears-hoops-recruits-chose-edmonton-despite-ncaa-interest
** NOTE ** Above article mentions NBLC and uAlberta alumni, Rob Dewar, who was drafted by Windsor and traded to Mississauga

Bolts add former Big Ten standouts
http://www.lfpress.com/2014/08/27/bolts-add-former-big-ten-standouts

Enjoy everyone and have a great Labour Day Monday!

Brent is 6'5 with a 7'1 wingspan with the athleticism to match, he should be a standout two-way player
airforcepop
Freshman

Post#83 » by airforcepop » Mon Sep 1, 2014 8:26 pm

DrCoach - 100% agree.

Today's NBLC News:

Robinson returning to Storm for upcoming season
http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports/2014-09-01/article-3854422/Robinson-returning-to-Storm-for-upcoming-season/1

Brandon Robinson is returning to the NBLC after playing in Germany. He was quite the beast when he last played in Canada being a former scoring champion and Rookie of the Year.
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#84 » by DrCoach » Tue Sep 2, 2014 2:36 am

airforcepop wrote:DrCoach - 100% agree.

Today's NBLC News:

Robinson returning to Storm for upcoming season
http://www.journalpioneer.com/Sports/2014-09-01/article-3854422/Robinson-returning-to-Storm-for-upcoming-season/1

Brandon Robinson is returning to the NBLC after playing in Germany. He was quite the beast when he last played in Canada being a former scoring champion and Rookie of the Year.

This is gonna be interesting , it will be interesting to see if he still puts up the same type of numbers. The league has gotten better since he left.

Great signing by the Storm though
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#85 » by DrCoach » Wed Sep 3, 2014 3:23 pm

Brampton A's sign 6'9 PF from university of Oregon Richard Amardi

http://bramptonas.ca/p/14513/nr/100072/ ... ian-player
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#86 » by DrCoach » Fri Sep 5, 2014 11:24 pm

Thon Maker playing for AI which Owns the Brampton A's leaves the door open for him to play in the NBL next year since he won't be NBA Draft eligible
airforcepop
Freshman

Post#87 » by airforcepop » Sat Sep 6, 2014 4:18 am

That's definitely a nice win for the Athlete's Institute. Plus its a nice first step in building the culture that you can grow and develop your basketball skills in Canada at a high level.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,624

Post#88 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Sep 6, 2014 5:01 am

^^ Now that is one way I see this whole process making really good sense for any high level prospect. Play at the prep school where the focus is on train/strengthen n condition. Still face other high profile US prep. Then play one year in the NBL and get paid then proceed to get drafted to the NBA. That's an amazing route to take.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#89 » by Rapsfan151 » Sat Sep 6, 2014 7:22 am

DrCoach wrote:Thon Maker playing for AI which Owns the Brampton A's leaves the door open for him to play in the NBL next year since he won't be NBA Draft eligible

Part of the reason he came to Canada was that the education was a lot better. Doubt he skips a year of a free college education to play in the NBL where he will be playing against men a lot stronger than him. Can't really see a benefit of him playing in the NBL...

If you say he will make money instead of playing College ball he could always take out an insurance policy on himself that will guarantee himself millions of $ since he will likely be the number 1 prospect going into the NCAA.
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#90 » by DrCoach » Sun Sep 7, 2014 12:00 am

Rapsfan151 wrote:
DrCoach wrote:Thon Maker playing for AI which Owns the Brampton A's leaves the door open for him to play in the NBL next year since he won't be NBA Draft eligible

Part of the reason he came to Canada was that the education was a lot better. Doubt he skips a year of a free college education to play in the NBL where he will be playing against men a lot stronger than him. Can't really see a benefit of him playing in the NBL...

If you say he will make money instead of playing College ball he could always take out an insurance policy on himself that will guarantee himself millions of $ since he will likely be the number 1 prospect going into the NCAA.

That's not why he came to Canada

He doesn't want to goto college , he wants to go Pro

The benefit of playing in the NBL is training everyday to get stronger and more prepared for the NBA
UK-Raptor
Rookie
And1: 382

Post#91 » by UK-Raptor » Sun Sep 7, 2014 12:23 am

Isn't this something MLSE should look into? Buying a franchise and have them play at the Ricoh? Not sure what the NBA rules are but that could be a good way of nurturing rookies (bruno) who aren't going to get much PT with the Raps against decentish competition. Call em the Huskies and everyone is happy lol.

http://www.noteapparel.com

Instagram @noteapparel
Twitter @noteapparel
airforcepop
Freshman

Post#92 » by airforcepop » Sun Sep 7, 2014 12:52 am

Rapsfan151 - Good point on the education. This is the same train of thought when I have discussions of quality of Canadian education to friends and Coaches in the CIS. Playing an extra year in the CIS plus getting a quality education is something that is overshadowed. I am glad Thon is coming to Canada - this is a big win for grassroots basketball in Canada.

UK-Raptor- There were rumors of the Raptors looking for an "exclusive" farm team like hockey. Not sure where that went but I think it would be great if MLSE did purchase an NBLC franchise. It's would be a great way for MLSE to put their positive footprint on growing the game of basketball in Canada.

DrCoach- I am guessing when/if Thon declares, he can successfully declare as an "International Player" for the NBA draft?

NBLC News

Former Duck joins the A’s
http://www.bramptonguardian.com/sports- ... s-the-a-s/

Note: Brampton is making some good headlines lately

Mississauga Power - Power Development Team
http://instagram.com/powerbasketball
http://www.powerbasketball.ca/PDT

Note: This is something I stumbled on while trolling Twitter for NBLC News. Apparently the Mississauga Power franchise has a development team that is playing in an annual tournament in China. There's some pics of them in China on their Instagram. I love it when there are things like this to help grow basketball.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,296

Post#93 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:09 am

UK-Raptor wrote:Isn't this something MLSE should look into? Buying a franchise and have them play at the Ricoh? Not sure what the NBA rules are but that could be a good way of nurturing rookies (bruno) who aren't going to get much PT with the Raps against decentish competition. Call em the Huskies and everyone is happy lol.

I quite enjoy this idea. Screw the d-league, let's make our own minor team
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#94 » by DrCoach » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:24 am

UK-Raptor wrote:Isn't this something MLSE should look into? Buying a franchise and have them play at the Ricoh? Not sure what the NBA rules are but that could be a good way of nurturing rookies (bruno) who aren't going to get much PT with the Raps against decentish competition. Call em the Huskies and everyone is happy lol.

Rumour has it that they were looking at the a Minor League Richester team as a potential D-League franchise

Ricoh may be too close to raptors ACC
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#95 » by DrCoach » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:26 am

airforcepop wrote:Rapsfan151 - Good point on the education. This is the same train of thought when I have discussions of quality of Canadian education to friends and Coaches in the CIS. Playing an extra year in the CIS plus getting a quality education is something that is overshadowed. I am glad Thon is coming to Canada - this is a big win for grassroots basketball in Canada.

UK-Raptor- There were rumors of the Raptors looking for an "exclusive" farm team like hockey. Not sure where that went but I think it would be great if MLSE did purchase an NBLC franchise. It's would be a great way for MLSE to put their positive footprint on growing the game of basketball in Canada.

DrCoach- I am guessing when/if Thon declares, he can successfully declare as an "International Player" for the NBA draft?

NBLC News

Former Duck joins the A’s
http://www.bramptonguardian.com/sports- ... s-the-a-s/

Note: Brampton is making some good headlines lately

Mississauga Power - Power Development Team
http://instagram.com/powerbasketball
http://www.powerbasketball.ca/PDT

Note: This is something I stumbled on while trolling Twitter for NBLC News. Apparently the Mississauga Power franchise has a development team that is playing in an annual tournament in China. There's some pics of them in China on their Instagram. I love it when there are things like this to help grow basketball.

If he makes the age minimum I believe he can declare

Amardi is a very skilled and athletic player, shocked he didnt get a NBA SL look
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect

Post#96 » by Rapsfan151 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:27 am

DrCoach wrote:
Rapsfan151 wrote:

That's not why he came to Canada

He doesn't want to goto college , he wants to go Pro

The benefit of playing in the NBL is training everyday to get stronger and more prepared for the NBA

There has been no evidence whatsoever to suggest he is skipping college to play in the NBL... His development will be best suited for playing at a big time program where there schedule isn't so heavy so he can train and develop his body.

His guardian was quoted as saying "Smith told SNY.tv last month at the Elite 24 game that Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and Indiana were working hardest for Thon Maker, who was still evaluating whether or not to reclass to 2015"

That to me says he is going to College..
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#97 » by DrCoach » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:27 am

YogurtProducer wrote:

What League would you play in? Not many options
DrCoach
General Manager

Post#98 » by DrCoach » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:32 am

There has been no evidence whatsoever to suggest he is skipping college to play in the NBL... His development will be best suited for playing at a big time program where there schedule isn't so heavy so he can train and develop his body.

His guardian was quoted as saying "Smith told SNY.tv last month at the Elite 24 game that Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and Indiana were working hardest for Thon Maker, who was still evaluating whether or not to reclass to 2015"

I'm not giving my opinion, I'm giving you first hand up to date info

Yes, he can goto college but he doesn't want to currently.

The NBL schedule is exactly the same as a top college program
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect

Post#99 » by Rapsfan151 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:49 am

DrCoach wrote:

I'm not giving my opinion, I'm giving you first hand up to date info

Yes, he can goto college but he doesn't want to currently.

The NBL schedule is exactly the same as a top college program

How do you know he doesn't want to go to college?
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,296

Post#100 » by YogurtProducer » Sun Sep 7, 2014 1:53 am

DrCoach wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:

What League would you play in? Not many options

Well, we were discussing the NBL so
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023

Return to Toronto Raptors