ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Annual NCAA D1 Canadians thread

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

OT: Annual NCAA D1 Canadians thread 

Post#1 » by Hassassin » Thu Oct 2, 2014 5:53 pm

The good folks at North Pole Hoops released the the full list of Canadians playing NCAA D1 ball next season. There are more NCAA D1 players from Montreal (17) than Toronto (16), but tons of players coming out from the GTA area.

Check out the full list.

Infographic: Canadian NCAA Division 1 men geographical breakdown

2014-15 NCAA player tracker
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Re: OT: Annual NCAA D1 Canadians thread 

Post#2 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Oct 2, 2014 6:00 pm

Annual thank you to Hassassin for your good work. Keep it up.
Reef
Starter
And1: 733

Post#3 » by Reef » Thu Oct 2, 2014 6:05 pm

Justin Jackson committed to UNLV.
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Oct 2, 2014 6:09 pm

Reef wrote:Justin Jackson committed to UNLV.

Doesn't graduate from highschool until 2016
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#5 » by vini_vidi_vici » Thu Oct 2, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks alot man, appreciate all the effort last year.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
wtfbosh
Veteran
And1: 444

Post#6 » by wtfbosh » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:04 pm

does anybody have a chance to get drafted this year?
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#7 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:04 pm

Nice. I always love tracking this thread. Cheers Hassassin.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#8 » by JN » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:11 pm

Hassassin wrote:The good folks at North Pole Hoops released the the full list of Canadians playing NCAA D1 ball next season. There are more NCAA D1 players from Montreal (17) than Toronto (16), but tons of players coming out from the GTA area.

Check out the full list.

Interesting timbit on Montreal over Toronto. Toronto has dominated for the last few years if I remember correctly? I couldn't think of a player from Montreal that was on an impact school -- oddly all of them go to mid tier or lower tier programs.

Would you have the split for the past few years. If its not readily determinable do not worry about it!!
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:12 pm

Harold_and_Kumar wrote:Nice. I always love tracking this thread. Cheers Hassassin.

Next season I think Olivier Hanlan and Kevin Pangos have a shot at the 2nd round. Trey Lyles could be a lottery pick if he declares.
Harold_and_Kumar
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,656

Post#10 » by Harold_and_Kumar » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:23 pm

BilboBanginz wrote:
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:Nice. I always love tracking this thread. Cheers Hassassin.

Next season I think Olivier Hanlan and Kevin Pangos have a shot at the 2nd round. Trey Lyles could be a lottery pick if he declares.

Agreed on all counts. I'm not sure how much better Hanlan can get, and so it seems he's stuck to the late second round unless he carries his team to MM. Pangos is a difficult one to gauge; personally I don't see him being drafted and he'll try and make a career in Europe (which should suit him better if we're honest). Lyles should be aiming to be a lottery pick, anything else would be him taking a step backwards IMHO.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#11 » by CoachJReturns » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:35 pm

wtfbosh wrote:does anybody have a chance to get drafted this year?

It's a weak draft year for Canada. 2016 will have both Justin Jackson and Jamal Murray as possible first round picks. I'm watching Murray closely. If he can develop into more of a point guard and less of a combo guard, he could be both our token Canadian and our point guard of the future.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#12 » by pbj » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:44 pm

Dustin Triano | Gonzaga | 6’1 | PG | RFR | New Hampton Prep | Tsawwassen, BC

Relation?
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#13 » by JN » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:46 pm

Is Xavier Mayes all ready to go at Florida St. this year?
RIP Kobe
Analyst
And1: 4,505

Post#14 » by RIP Kobe » Thu Oct 2, 2014 7:59 pm

really hope naz long has a good season. i know him personally and have played ball with him for the past few years, he's come a long way.
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Hassassin » Thu Oct 2, 2014 8:06 pm

JN wrote:
Hassassin wrote:The good folks at North Pole Hoops released the the full list of Canadians playing NCAA D1 ball next season. There are more NCAA D1 players from Montreal (17) than Toronto (16), but tons of players coming out from the GTA area.

Check out the full list.

Interesting timbit on Montreal over Toronto. Toronto has dominated for the last few years if I remember correctly? I couldn't think of a player from Montreal that was on an impact school -- oddly all of them go to mid tier or lower tier programs.

Would you have the split for the past few years. If its not readily determinable do not worry about it!!

I have an infographic coming up shortly. Toronto, or the GTA area (a lot from Brampton, 'Sauga, Ajax), is very dominant in terms of producing D1 players.
SwaggyB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,595

Post#16 » by SwaggyB » Thu Oct 2, 2014 8:08 pm

pbj wrote:
Dustin Triano | Gonzaga | 6’1 | PG | RFR | New Hampton Prep | Tsawwassen, BC

Relation?

Jay's son. Happens to look exactly like a young Jay with hair.
protothe
Bench Warmer
And1: 925

Post#17 » by protothe » Thu Oct 2, 2014 8:20 pm

JN wrote:

Check out the full list.

My count was 14 each (MTL and TOR). However, that doesn't take into account the GTA as a whole....

Mississauga has 7
Brampton has 7
Thornhill has 5
Vaughn has 4
Scarborough has 2
Markham has 2

etc....

The GTA far outnumbers everyone else. There's also the Durham region (Whitby, Ajax, Pickering) which has a couple of players each (at least)
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Hassassin » Thu Oct 2, 2014 8:33 pm

protothe wrote:
JN wrote:

Check out the full list.

My count was 14 each (MTL and TOR). However, that doesn't take into account the GTA as a whole....

Mississauga has 7
Brampton has 7
Thornhill has 5
Vaughn has 4
Scarborough has 2
Markham has 2

etc....

The GTA far outnumbers everyone else. There's also the Durham region (Whitby, Ajax, Pickering) which has a couple of players each (at least)

This is the count that I got from my pivot table for the upcoming yr:

Ajax 5
Brampton 7
Burlington 1
Markham 2
Mississauga 7
Newmarket 1
Oakville 2
Pickering 3
Thornhill 5
Toronto 16
Vaughan 1
Whitby 2
Woodbridge 1

Total GTA players is 33 off that list. Last yr it was 30 and the year before it was 23. I counted Scarborough as part of Toronto.

EDIT: There are also two American born Canadians on the list (Kyle Wiltjer, Shea Jones)
Meursault
Starter
And1: 1,037

Post#19 » by Meursault » Thu Oct 2, 2014 8:54 pm

I think Lyles is a lock to be drafted if he declares, but he'll probably enter the 2016 draft. don't see him getting much playing time next season.

people were hyping Kabongo, Wiljter, and Webster-Chan as the great hope of Canadian basketball 5 years ago. since then, none have been/will be drafted. Olynyk, Thompson, and Nicholson weren't as highly touted as Powell and Birch 5 years ago as well...
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,459

Post#20 » by aminiaturebuddha » Thu Oct 2, 2014 8:59 pm

Harold_and_Kumar wrote: Pangos is a difficult one to gauge; personally I don't see him being drafted and he'll try and make a career in Europe (which should suit him better if we're honest).

I agree it's unlikely for Pangos, although Gonzaga could be very good this year. So, much like the success of the 2012-13 team helped raise Olynyk's profile, the same could happen for Pangos and Wiljter. But I agree that it still seems more likely that both end up in Europe.

Return to Toronto Raptors