ImageImageImageImageImage

Caboclo's defense vs Knicks highlight video

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sartorialist
Freshman
And1: 91

Re: Caboclo's defense vs Knicks highlight video 

Post#21 » by sartorialist » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:42 pm

I was able to take away a few things from his game last night, bearing in mind that he was guarding another rookie in Cleanthony Early. Most importantly, his length, which to say the least is extremely disruptive. It made up for his lack of lateral quickness in THIS instance, however against a more experienced offensive player I don't see it holding up so well. Case in point against J.R. who blew by him late in the game.

He also didn't seem to use his body to secure loose balls or be able to box out for a rebound. I think his lateral speed and ability to grab rebounds (with added strength) should be a large focus of his development. And I know it's a small sample size, but I'd also like to see some more offensive versatility aside from that corner 3 in future preseason games.
blaateeee
Junior
And1: 121

Post#22 » by blaateeee » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Personally, I think bruno's ceiling is sky high, no doubt, but I think he's best suited for the 4. He has below avg lateral quicks, I don't think that can be improved TOO much. However, he has length, and a profile to grow. I think he would be a poor defender at the 3, but an elite one at the 4.

If he gets stronger, something like Ibaka is not out of the question, quicker, but doesn't have the hops.

Will be really interesting to see what develops.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#23 » by Joker » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 pm

J.R. Smith is a SG, so it might be unfair to evaluate Bruno based on that, unless the expectation is he's going to be guarding both 2's and 3's.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#24 » by Kabookalu » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:10 pm

cameo60 wrote:Personally, I think bruno's ceiling is sky high, no doubt, but I think he's best suited for the 4. He has below avg lateral quicks, I don't think that can be improved TOO much. However, he has length, and a profile to grow. I think he would be a poor defender at the 3, but an elite one at the 4.

If he gets stronger, something like Ibaka is not out of the question, quicker, but doesn't have the hops.

His lateral quickness is fine, his defensive stance is what's awful and that's correctable. With his length he'll be able to sag off of his man while still playing them for the jumpshot. So once he fixes his anticipation reflexes and positioning he's going to be a great perimeter defender.
Read on Twitter
blaateeee
Junior
And1: 121

Post#25 » by blaateeee » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Choker wrote:
cameo60 wrote:Personally, I think bruno's ceiling is sky high, no doubt, but I think he's best suited for the 4. He has below avg lateral quicks, I don't think that can be improved TOO much. However, he has length, and a profile to grow. I think he would be a poor defender at the 3, but an elite one at the 4.

His lateral quickness is fine, his defensive stance is what's awful and that's correctable. With his length he'll be able to sag off of his man while still playing them for the jumpshot. So once he fixes his anticipation reflexes and positioning he's going to be a great perimeter defender.

I'll politely disagree. From all the summer league games, and few minutes I've seen so far during preseason, he doesn't have lateral quicks of a 3.
simple_jack
General Manager
And1: 17,593

Post#26 » by simple_jack » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:26 pm

What I love the most that he is also the youngest player in the NBA.

Kid is going to be a nightmare on defense when he gets to age 21- 22ish

The physical improvements from age 19 to to mid 20's are drastic and it's crazy where he's at now.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#27 » by Kabookalu » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:30 pm

cameo60 wrote:I'll politely disagree. From all the summer league games, and few minutes I've seen so far during preseason, he doesn't have lateral quicks of a 3.

We'll agree to disagree. On the first play of that video he's able to bounce and shift from side to side pretty well, that shows me he has more than enough lateral quickness to be a staple 3 in this league.

Read on Twitter
simple_jack
General Manager

Post#28 » by simple_jack » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Also I think his natural position is a 3. Obviously he doesn't have the quicks yet but you have to put someone with that kind of length guarding out on the perimeter
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#29 » by Joker » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:42 pm

People who think he's too slow to guard SF's and is better off eventually as a stretch 4. Do you ever see him being strong/heavy enough to guard an Al Jefferson or David West type? It seems like you're trading out one mismatch disadvantage for another by moving him from 3 to 4.
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#30 » by Rhettmatic » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:43 pm

Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Hue Durant
Banned User
And1: 4,342

Post#31 » by Hue Durant » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:46 pm

hes 19 he could even grow to 7 feet
OvertimeNO
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#32 » by OvertimeNO » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Joker wrote:People who think he's too slow to guard SF's and is better off eventually as a stretch 4. Do you ever see him being strong/heavy enough to guard an Al Jefferson or David West type? It seems like you're trading out one mismatch disadvantage for another by moving him from 3 to 4.

This. I'd rather he be able to bother several positions much of the time than trade his quickness to be sort of lockdown at one position most of the time.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
gutobr
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,222

Post#33 » by gutobr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:20 pm

Bruno almost don't have any sense of position and can make some good defense because of his very long bizzare arms. Imagine when he learns some D.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,410

Post#34 » by And1+2 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:Image

Bonus to whomever superimposes Bruno's head to this.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#35 » by dballislife » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:49 pm

freakiest length in nba history on the wing...hes gonna bother a lot of shots, tip a lot of balls in the nba
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,846

Post#36 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29 am

ontnut wrote:His length is really bothering people on the catch and shoot, and I think it's catching more than a few people off guard. It has the double effect of potential block/shot alter, and also the mental factor - people seemed to start rushing shots when he was closing out.

Thats exactly what i noticed as well. A lot of people rushing there shots / changing to a high arch when Bruno was closing out on the team. Being able to close that much distance can make shooters very uncomfortable.

He has a lot of work to do for sure - I think he's also proven that hes more NBA ready than some had originally said
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#37 » by Patman » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:39 am

Throwback24 wrote:If he can somehow improve his lateral quickness, he's going to be a f'ng monster on the defensive end. I really think I'd prioritize working on that over bulking, which I'm probably alone on. I'm not discounting the notion that he needs to get bigger, but I think he would be an invaluable asset if he worked on his reflexes/reaction time.

Length+average lateral quicks? Wow.

Silky smooth shot, and unlike Ross (who I'm not really ragging on), is assertive with his dribble and can beat his man from time to time.

I'm really impressed with what I've seen from him to date.

This kid is like a piece of clay. The Raps can mold him into pretty much whatever they want. But I think at this point, his body will be so receptive to the training they give him, it's best to work on all facets of the physical part of the game (speed, agility, strength, explosiveness). He can get bigger and faster at the same time. Look at sprinters or football players.

He doesn't need to be doing slow lifts like a bodybuilder. He should be focusing on explosive movements. If he's going to be doing slow movements, it should be for balance/core (like yoga). If he can just do that, and really up his protein intake, I bet he would get solid results. The mass might still be hard to come by, but at least it's not being forced onto him, he'll grow more naturally, and he'll get stronger and faster too.
biskvito
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#38 » by biskvito » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:52 am

crossing fingers his "bulking up" will be done the best way possible, this part of player development always worries me for some reason...
simple_jack
General Manager

Post#39 » by simple_jack » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:07 am

biskvito wrote:crossing fingers his "bulking up" will be done the best way possible, this part of player development always worries me for some reason...

CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#40 » by CoachJReturns » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:22 am

MikeM wrote:Even though he doesn't know what he's doing, I feel like it's the good kind of that. Not the Bargnani version where you just stand there and stare into space. He's really, really active. Over helps a bit but that's because his mind is engaged at least.

Bruno is the anti-Bargnani. Bargs just didn't care aboutwhat happened in practice or in a game, while Bruno was emotional during a friggin summer league game. I think its his attitude that makes me most confident that he will become a starter at a minimum in the future. Just seems like the kind of guy who will always expect more of himself. So glad he joined the team at this juncture in time. To see Demar getting the credit he deserves in the form of all-star appearances for his work ethic is a great example for young players. Hard work does get rewarded.

Return to Toronto Raptors