ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Popovich Responds To Robert Sarver's Apology

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Re: OT: Popovich Responds To Robert Sarver's Apology 

Post#21 » by jonny three time » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm sure Suns fans were far more disappointed during the early Nash era, when Sarver was too cheap to spend over the luxury tax and they couldn't get over the hump as a result.

Did he ever apologize for that?
tms
Veteran
And1: 2,110

Post#22 » by tms » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Pops, u mad bro?

i like what Rob Sarver said and did- but i can't blame the Spurs for the fact that pre-season's way too lonnnng . it's a cash grab for everyone. at least Sarver has the cojones to address it.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#23 » by dacrusha » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:25 pm

The Sarvers are among the cheapest, hard-line owners in the league and constantly looking to cut costs, underpay players and make a quick buck.

They're not worried about the sanctity of the game here, they're worried about keeping their season ticket holders happy and their cash flow constant.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Darkseid
Analyst
And1: 3,392

Post#24 » by Darkseid » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:29 pm

Sarver should apologize for Pop's response as the next step in a long troll.
hell_razor
Banned User
And1: 4,567

Post#25 » by hell_razor » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:30 pm

lol salty suns owner
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#26 » by team edward » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:53 pm

I get what Pops is saying. But the only reason he gets away with it is because his guys are champs.

This is a star driven league and has been for years. People dont buy tickets to watch the Suns play Matt Bonner. Raps ticket sales are probably highest when we play Kobe's Lakers, for example. When the visiting team's stars don't play, it prejudices the home team's fans.

It's one thing to hold your stars out when you are playing at home - then you can answer to your own owner.
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#27 » by Badonkadonk » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:55 pm

I would be embarrassed as a Suns fan.

Sarver either was unaware of the facts or just an ignorant moron. As described by Pops:

"We had five guys we didn't send," Popovich told the San Antonio Express-News. "Patty Mills had a shoulder operation over the summer. Tiago Splitter has been out the whole preseason. Kawhi Leonard was out and is still out for 10 more days. The other two, Duncan and Ginobili, are two of the oldest guys in the league who just came back from a 13-day European trip."

So he basically got mad for the Spurs not playing Duncan and Ginobili. What rock has he been living under? They do the same thing during regular season games and oh, they still win championships.

Pops doesn't have to feel sorry for anybody. Sarver just showed the poor judgment he's already well known for.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,437

Post#28 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:14 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:Pops job is to win, not entertain... The whole star league thing is crap... If skipping an away game on a back to back is best scenario that is what pop is going to do. Period

Do you go to games?

Why would that change anything?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,437

Post#29 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:16 pm

team edward wrote:I get what Pops is saying. But the only reason he gets away with it is because his guys are champs.

This is a star driven league and has been for years. People dont buy tickets to watch the Suns play Matt Bonner. Raps ticket sales are probably highest when we play Kobe's Lakers, for example. When the visiting team's stars don't play, it prejudices the home team's fans.

It's one thing to hold your stars out when you are playing at home - then you can answer to your own owner.

Pop's job is to win games. It isn't his job to make sure that the opposing team's fans have a good time at the game.

I'm sure the fans that go to games to see the stars are also amused by cheerleaders, t-shirt giveaways, and mascot stunts. Maybe ownership can give them more of that on the days that the Spurs are in town.
biskvito
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#30 » by biskvito » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:20 pm

setup a decent bball team, so you don't need to rely on away teams to entice your own fans
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#31 » by cram » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:28 pm

I agree with Sarver. The Spurs may not like it, but they're on the ticket. Fans paid a lot of money to see the champs.

At least make Duncan or GInobli play for a quarter.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,782
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#32 » by Boogie! » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:49 pm

biskvito wrote:setup a decent bball team, so you don't need to rely on away teams to entice your own fans

the suns are pretty good though…
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
macketeer
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,166

Post#33 » by macketeer » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:58 pm

WTF??! this is pre-season. You shouldn't expect starters to play all that much. Just throw them in there from time to time for team cohesion purposes and work out the rust from the summer. Preseason is mostly about developing younger players to see how and where they fit with the team. Why wear out your star players in a meaningless game? Only reason I watch the preseason is to see the developmental aspects of the team, I don't care if Raptors lose or win. Pops is trying to win championships using the strategies available pretty much.

I understand Pops pulled something similar awhile back in the regular season, too...Perhaps these owners should go complain to the league instead to decrease the number of games in a season, and limit back-to-backs. Oh yeah, that would impact their wallet, so that's not goning to happen anytime soon.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#34 » by timdunkit » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:02 pm

This is one of the few scenerios where winning and making money don't agree with each other.

The NBA is as much about making money as it is about winning. Pop is doing what is best for his franchise. Sarver is doing what is best for his brand.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is internal pressure on the Spurs from the league to stop Pop from doing stuff like this.
TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,864

Post#35 » by TheSamMitchell » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:09 pm

This guy may have just been doing a publicity stunt, but he was looking out for the fans. I gotta give him credit for that.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#36 » by Komodo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:14 pm

i like sarver, apparently.
joseph235
Banned User
And1: 1,895

Post#37 » by joseph235 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Good owners like MLSE would have never done what Sarver did. Prick.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,099

Post#38 » by tecumseh18 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:35 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:Pops job is to win, not entertain... The whole star league thing is crap... If skipping an away game on a back to back is best scenario that is what pop is going to do. Period

Do you go to games?

Why would that change anything?

Do you understand dynamic pricing? If not, then you don't actually pay for games, but you expect others to pay premium prices to watch scrubs play.

Pops of course will do what he thinks will enhance his team's ability to win the championship. It's up to league to make sure that the Spurs are also motivated to think of the fans.
FirstInkTDot
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,902

Post#39 » by FirstInkTDot » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:19 pm

joseph235 wrote:Good owners like MLSE would have never done what Sarver did. Prick.

MLSE could care less, hate their pathetic ways of pampering the rich that never show support, just come to talk business.
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#40 » by HeartBreaking » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:48 pm

its a preseason game, that makes it 10x worse.
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.

Return to Toronto Raptors