ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA TV guys still know nothing about the North

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Re: NBA TV guys still know nothing about the North 

Post#21 » by EJaggit » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Waylon Mercy wrote:That's why the We The North commercials says "We're on the outside looking in" It's been like
that for 20 years and its not going to change and we have to have that chip on our shoulder
and look for blood every time we step on that court.

Also I'm really starting to develop a deep hatred for the Chicago Bulls just because so many
people overrate them. They have to be the most overrated team in the NBA.

I AGREE 100% Chicago is getting this superior feeling within the media. Everyone looks at them as if they're an unstoppable team. I could totally see us going toe to toe with Chicago this season.
RNsteve
Banned User
And1: 939

Post#22 » by RNsteve » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:16 pm

Waylon Mercy wrote:A lot of it has to do with markets...

On the surface it seems strange that they would spend so much time talking about the Knicks
over a bunch of teams that made the playoffs last year but New York is the biggest market in
the league and they also talked about Brooklyn a lot.

The Knicks are the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NBA. No matter how bad they've been both
recently and historically they always will be a big story even when they're fighting for 9th
just because they play in the biggest markets respectively.

Same thing goes for the Lakers whether they win or lose they will be a big story and shoved
down your throat whether we like it or not.

Am I wrong for thinking this is a league based channel? Shouldn't a little bit of unbiased coverage be expected?
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#23 » by pbj » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Why do people even care about the media? Just turn the TV on when the game starts, go take a piss, and eat something during halftime, and then turn the TV off after the game finishes. The media is really nothing more than a bunch of fans throwing out their personal opinions to the general public. They're really no different than the fans who post here, except for the fact that they'll say outrageous things to generate attention.

How else am I supposed to measure my self-worth, if my interests are not validated by the media and the masses? :crazy: Jeez...
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,388

Post#24 » by Mikistan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 pm

I'd rather be under-rated than over-rated.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,231

Post#25 » by Childs » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Who cares? I like being under the radar.
hell_razor
Banned User
And1: 4,567

Post#26 » by hell_razor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Can we have decent consecutive seasons before we demand glory from the media?
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#27 » by Rapz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:31 pm

Tha Cynic wrote:Why do people even care about the media? Just turn the TV on when the game starts, go take a piss, and eat something during halftime, and then turn the TV off after the game finishes. The media is really nothing more than a bunch of fans throwing out their personal opinions to the general public. They're really no different than the fans who post here, except for the fact that they'll say outrageous things to generate attention.

If you care about your team you also care on how it is perceived out there by any FA.
Perception is shaped by media and like or not, it is a strong ingredient when FA are considering signing to a new team and how much that team should pay for their services.
Don't forget that superstars always have a say on where they S&T - so a poorly perceived team is less likely to meet their consideration.

So yes, I'm a realist and do care how Raps are seen outside, it should be turned into a positive as a great motivator for our players.
Rapz
Banned User

Post#28 » by Rapz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Mikistan wrote:I'd rather be under-rated than over-rated.

- so you OK of having no chance of attracting great players???

Hope you do realize that for Durant (and Nike) Toronto will never be an option, since Raps are off the American TV screen & media and obviously American's minds...
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#29 » by Mikistan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:06 pm

Rapz wrote:

Hope you do realize that for Durant (and Nike) Toronto will never be an option, since Raps are off the American TV screen & media and obviously American's minds...

**** Durant and **** 'attracting great players'

Winning fixes everything - you get wins, you get respect.
Right now we have 4 players on the roster we drafted -- Demar, Jonas, Ross and Bruno

3 of them are starters for us and all are young.

How about we become a franchise that doesn't try to look for the 'quick fix' "ATTRACTING TALENT" and be a franchise that DEVELOPS TALENT.

Put your hard-hat on and get to work
Rapz
Banned User

Post#30 » by Rapz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Rapz wrote:

Right now we have 4 players on the roster we drafted -- Demar, Jonas, Ross and Bruno

How about we become a franchise that doesn't try to look for the 'quick fix' "ATTRACTING TALENT" and be a franchise that DEVELOPS TALENT.

So like many other here, you enjoy the fantasy world... :lol:

I love the "hard hat" approach since it is only one that fits us, but realistically today's NBA is not about that anymore, it is a "show time" league where superstars do get preferential treatment.

Raptors have always been a "small NBA market" team which lives in the same conundrum as most other NBA teams:
- which comes first the superstar (aka chiken) or the win (aka egg)?

I'm afraid that in NBA it is the superstar first, look at past NBA championship teams in last 10 years, or more...
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#31 » by Mikistan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:18 pm

Rapz wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
Rapz wrote:

I love the "hard hat" approach since it is only one that fits us, but realistically today's NBA is not about that anymore, it is a "show time" league where superstars do get preferential treatment.

Raptors have always been a "small NBA market" team which lives in the same conundrum as most other NBA teams:

I'm afraid that in NBA it is the superstar first, look at past NBA championship teams in last 10 years, or more...

Sure.
San Antonio -- Drafted Timmy
Detroit - They sure had superstars compared to the star-studded Lakers squad
Lakers - Drafted Kobe, Traded for Shaq and Pau
Dallas - should I keep going?

Signing Durant isn't likely to happen. You could try to trade for him, but you need ASSETS to trade for a star.
Those assets (and write this down, cause its important) you have to develop or slowly acquire in shrewd moves.

We aren't gonna just be gifted a Lebron/Kyrie/Bennet/Wiggins cause we have hands in the commissioners pockets.
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Post#32 » by team edward » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:33 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Rapz wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

Sure.
San Antonio -- Drafted Timmy
Detroit - They sure had superstars compared to the star-studded Lakers squad
Lakers - Drafted Kobe, Traded for Shaq and Pau
Dallas - should I keep going?

Signing Durant isn't likely to happen. You could try to trade for him, but you need ASSETS to trade for a star.
Those assets (and write this down, cause its important) you have to develop or slowly acquire in shrewd moves.

We aren't gonna just be gifted a Lebron/Kyrie/Bennet/Wiggins cause we have hands in the commissioners pockets.

OKC would never in a million years willingly trade Durant. We would either sign him outright or acquire him in a S&T scenario the same way Miami got Bosh from us. Between draft picks and young talent (Jonas, maybe Ross, maybe Bruno, maybe Amir or Patterson) we have the assets to make it happen if a S&T is necessary. But, unless Masai does something stupid, I think we may have enough capspace to sign him outright if OKC won't play ball.

When Vince was in Toronto he was the hottest player in the league. That alone is proof enough that a star can succeed in Toronto. Not to mention that Kyle, Demar and Durant is a pretty damn good big three and an instant title threat. When you're the best player in the league playing for one of the top three teams, you'll get all the media coverage you can handle.

Anyway the point is we can make it happen if KD wants to be here, and there's no particular reason he wouldn't want to be here unless he is a shallow media whore like CB4. Winning the first NBA title for a non-American team might be appealing to him from a legacy perspective, and it might be encouraged by the commish as the League looks to eventualy expand overseas.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,216

Post#33 » by niQ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 pm

#Clowns.

#Clowns Everywhere.

Return to Toronto Raptors