ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Deputy Commissioner:''Montreal is an incredible market''

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Re: NBA Deputy Commissioner:''Montreal is an incredible mark 

Post#41 » by kidr1211 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:38 pm

C_Money wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:Never happening. I don't think canada will ever get another team tbh.

Never? You think at no point in the next billion years before the sun burns out that Canada will get another basketball team?

Never. MLSE will make sure of it
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#42 » by Rapsfan151 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:06 pm

kidr1211 wrote:
C_Money wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:Never happening. I don't think canada will ever get another team tbh.

Never? You think at no point in the next billion years before the sun burns out that Canada will get another basketball team?

MLSE couldn't do **** if Adam Silver says the NBA is expanding to Vancouver.
Rapz
Banned User
And1: 1,191

Post#43 » by Rapz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:12 pm

He meant to say "incredible ladies market"... :lol:
kidr1211
RealGM

Post#44 » by kidr1211 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Rapsfan151 wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:
C_Money wrote:

David stern said Vancouver was a mistake. The NBA is never going back, but people can keep dreaming. MLSE is trying to build the raptors into canadas team, you're underestimating MLSEs relationship with the NBA. All MLSE has to do is show the NBA the horrible ratings throughout the country and cry about it.
onetwothree
Senior
And1: 440

Post#45 » by onetwothree » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Rapsfan151 wrote:If you think NBA players hate having to live in Toronto just wait until there is a Montreal team. Montreal would probably be the last city a NBA player would want to play in since they speak french, 10x colder than Toronto and all the other reasons players don't like playing in Canada.

Monteal would be an awful fit for a NBA team. Players would like visiting for obvious reasons but it would not work. Vancouver is the much better NBA city.

Lmao. AGREED! Montreal would truly be a city that NO basketball player would want to live in. No chance a team from Montreal can resign guys past rookie deals. NO CHANCE!!
Rapsfan151
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#46 » by Rapsfan151 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:50 pm

kidr1211 wrote:
Rapsfan151 wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:

David stern said Vancouver was a mistake. The NBA is never going back, but people can keep dreaming. MLSE is trying to build the raptors into canadas team, you're underestimating MLSEs relationship with the NBA. All MLSE has to do is show the NBA the horrible ratings throughout the country and cry about it.

Stern said the way they handled it was a mistake. Also last time I checked Stern isn't commissioner anymore. Ratings aren't nearly as bad as you are making them out to be. They are still better than half the league. All I am saying is if Silver and the NBA wanted to move a team to Vancouver, MLSE doesn't have any say in it.
kidr1211
RealGM

Post#47 » by kidr1211 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 pm

Rapsfan151 wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:
Rapsfan151 wrote:

Stern said the way they handled it was a mistake. Also last time I checked Stern isn't commissioner anymore. Ratings aren't nearly as bad as you are making them out to be. They are still better than half the league. All I am saying is if Silver and the NBA wanted to move a team to Vancouver, MLSE doesn't have any say in it.

"As it turns out, I wish we hadn't had the Vancouver experience . . . ,'' Stern said in a podcast interview with ESPN.com. "Great city and we disappointed them and we disappointed ourselves.''

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/head ... z3H6hKBzTQ

I'm pretty sure the league views on Vancouver aren't going to change drastically just because stern is gone. The NBA is a business, if MLSE had problems with another team coming into their market the NBA would listen wether you believe it or not. If an expansion were to ever happen i'm sure American sponsors and the NBA's TV partners would much rather it be in the US.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#48 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 pm

kidr1211 wrote:
Rapsfan151 wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:

He said the way it was handled was a mistake, and that they let the people of Vancouver down.

I think if he could do it again he would have never let that team move.
kidr1211
RealGM

Post#49 » by kidr1211 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:21 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:
Rapsfan151 wrote:

He said the way it was handled was a mistake, and that they let the people of Vancouver down.

I think if he could do it again he would have never let that team move.

"I don't think we can go back," Stern said. "I think that was a great city, and I think we just didn't take advantage of the opportunity."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/head ... z3H6j5RDDt

"Maybe we shouldn't have done it there, maybe we should have only expanded into Toronto . . . that was a great disappointment to me," he said.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/head ... z3H6jNMU00

I still don't think the NBA is ever going back.
Scarface844
Banned User
And1: 7,859

Post#50 » by Scarface844 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:24 pm

kidr1211 wrote:David stern said Vancouver was a mistake. The NBA is never going back, but people can keep dreaming. MLSE is trying to build the raptors into canadas team, you're underestimating MLSEs relationship with the NBA. All MLSE has to do is show the NBA the horrible ratings throughout the country and cry about it.

We've been over this. Stern contradicted himself on this topic. If another NBA team comes to Canada, it'll be Vancouver.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111947
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...vancouver.aspx

Simmons asked Stern what his biggest regret during his tenure as head of the league would be and Stern replied that the short life of the Vancouver Grizzlies was it.

"I wish we hadn't had the Vancouver experience," he said on the BS Report. "Great city, and we disappointed them and we disappointed ourselves."

"I don't think we can go back," he said. "I think that was a great city, and I think we just didn't take advantage of the opportunity."
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:43 pm

hell_razor wrote:big potential market here

Stadium looks to be about 1/4 empty tonight.

Clearly not a big enough market for the NBA.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#52 » by JN » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:49 pm

NBA (under Stern) showed that where a team moves has nothing to do with the market being the "best", The market being where the new owner wants it.... Memphis, OKC, New Orleans. None of these were great markets but they had an owner who wanted to move the team there and under Stern he was open to relocation.

The next move ultimately comes down to the owner with deep pockets and where he wants the team.
JN
RealGM

Post#53 » by JN » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:53 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:

Since the size of an exhibition crowd is so important to you, does that make Montreal a great baseball market?
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:02 am

JN wrote:
LittleOzzy wrote:

Since the size of an exhibition crowd is so important to you, does that make Montreal a great baseball market?

It's a better baseball market than it is basketball, easily.
Jonn
RealGM
And1: 19,076

Post#55 » by Jonn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:05 am

Montreal will get both a Baseball team and Basketball team within the next 20 years. Baseball team will happen first and will probably happen very soon. Tampa Bay Rays aren't going to be able to survive much longer. MLB had said they need a new stadium and they can't get one built.
JN
RealGM

Post#56 » by JN » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:06 am

Jonn wrote:Montreal will get both a Baseball team and Basketball team within the next 20 years. Baseball team will happen first and will probably happen very soon. Tampa Bay Rays aren't going to be able to survive much longer. MLB had said they need a new stadium and they can't get one built.

The Expos have to get a stadium too.

I was a hardcore Spos fan to the bitter end. My biggest Sports passion. I guess I am so scarred by the ordeal, that I am pessimistic even with positive developments.
Jonn
RealGM

Post#57 » by Jonn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:10 am

JN wrote:
Jonn wrote:Montreal will get both a Baseball team and Basketball team within the next 20 years. Baseball team will happen first and will probably happen very soon. Tampa Bay Rays aren't going to be able to survive much longer. MLB had said they need a new stadium and they can't get one built.

The Expos have to get a stadium too.

I was a hardcore Spos fan to the bitter end. My biggest Sports passion. I guess I am so scarred by the ordeal, that I am pessimistic even with positive developments.

Major League Baseball said they can play at the Big O until they build a new downtown Stadium. Which has already been discussed.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:15 am

Montreal will likely never get an NBA team.

Too many American cities will come first, plus Vancouver would likely be looked at first as well.

That plus in the next 20 years I only see two or three teams possibly moving at all. The odds of Montreal landing a team are extremely low.
Jonn
RealGM

Post#59 » by Jonn » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:18 am

LittleOzzy wrote:

Montreal will likely never get an NBA team.

Too many American cities will come first, plus Vancouver would likely be looked at first as well.

I don't think the deputy commish would come out and say this unless they were seriously looking at Montreal. I have to believe it would be the first East city they would consider. Seattle and Vancouver will figure itself out. Maybe Memphis and Sacramento will move.
JN
RealGM

Post#60 » by JN » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:19 am

Jonn wrote:Major League Baseball said they can play at the Big O until they build a new downtown Stadium. Which has already been discussed.

The Big Owe is a suitable replacement for a few years.

A new stadium was also discussed quite a bit in the mid-late 90's as well. Never really got anywhere.

At the end of the day the Expos need an ownership group with actual balls this time and may actually take a risk and make a real investment. If they have a real ownership group looking to actually make an investment perhaps things can get done.

Not the scum of the earth douchebag bastard prick yokel consortium that owned the team in the early 90's and sent the team into a freefall by just looking to break even by whatever means necessary.

Return to Toronto Raptors