ImageImageImageImageImage

Calderon or Vasquez?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Who would you take?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:33 am

Calderon
50%
Vasquez
50%

Total votes: 175

Usuyami
Senior
And1: 125

Re: Calderon or Vasquez? 

Post#81 » by Usuyami » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:29 am

Vasquez is hilariously bad. I'd take current Jose over him.
-TBZ
That Other Guy
Veteran
And1: 95

Post#82 » by That Other Guy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:51 am

I call Vasquez the "Swaggy Calderon." That said, I'd take Jose. Yeah he's terrible on defense, but he's better at shooting, driving and facilitating on offense.
Peja Stojakovic
Starter
And1: 2,939

Post#83 » by Peja Stojakovic » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:53 am

vasquez is absolutely terrible

he pounds the ball just as much as jose, shoots more at a worse percentage, and doesn't even get big men easy buckets
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#84 » by B-Ball Freak » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:00 am

Calderon, pretty easily, you guys are going to choose GV after what...half a season of good play?
Usuyami
Senior
And1: 125

Post#85 » by Usuyami » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:22 am

Trashquez trying his hardest to make his fans eat crow.
-TBZ
industry_killer
Veteran
And1: 278

Post#86 » by industry_killer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:23 am

I don't see GV finishing the season in Toronto. He has regressed a lot and is simply not playing well enough to be a major contributor.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#87 » by basketball royalty » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:33 am

Rather have steady and reliable Jose than GV who is usually feast or famine. I think Jose also has the ability to make big men better in that he gets them easy looks. GV is all about flash if he passes.
props to Turbozone for the sig
JPHolling
Rookie
And1: 394

Post#88 » by JPHolling » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:47 am

GV. Players love his swaggar. as do I ... as do I
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,099

Post#89 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:51 am

Vasquez forced Casey to sub him out at the end of the Orlando game. The only bench player to be subbed out. Do you think that would make him think twice about taking his stupid shots and not trying to get a real shooter like Patman involved?

I voted in favour of GV, but Lord, he makes it hard sometimes.
highscore
Sixth Man
And1: 524

Post#90 » by highscore » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:42 am

I mean both are god awful, but if I had to take one it would definitely be Calderon.
Vasquez shouldn't be playing more than 10 minutes a game, enough for Kyle to catch a breather. What a disaster.
teamLeiweke
Head Coach
And1: 5,019

Post#91 » by teamLeiweke » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:53 am

Patman wrote:
teamColangelo wrote:
Patman wrote:
The dribbling issue was a system issue, not Jose's. Last year in Dallas, he was one of the best in the league at passes per time of possession.

If it was a system issue, why did I see the same thing in New York yesterday as all those years when he played for Toronto... Did the Raptors run the Triangle Offense all those years ago as well?... NO!!!

Are you really this dense? There's more than one system that holds the ball, and there's more than one system that moves the ball. The Mavericks system, much like the Spurs, is heavy on ball-movement. You put Jose in that environment, and he won't hold the ball. The Raptors' system is about the guards dominating possession time, and that's been the case for years now. Jose didn't fit that system because he can't penetrate like Kyle, DD, Lou, or even Vas. Hell, Gay was actually a better fit in our system than Jose if you take away the dumb shot selection.

Have you ever watch Spain play? Jose moves the ball there too. Their system also relies on ball movement (might be Spanish thing as their soccer team also has a ball-moving philosophy). Jose at his best is a ball-moving PnR PG, who is best paired with a big than both roll or pop (Bosh, Dirk, Gasols, Ibaka).

Whatever the hell the Knicks are running is a piss-poor semblance of the Triangle. Look at how many former Phil Jackson players have come out and said that the Knicks are ruining the system. The triangle at its best is about getting the ball to your dominant scorers, and failing that, it's about ball movement elsewhere. Obviously, this is an oversimplification, but what the Knicks are running is hot garbage.

I'm not even a big Jose fan, but this myth that he holds onto the ball out of his own accord has got to go.

5 and1s vs 0 and1s.

You are simply wrong.
teamLeiweke
Head Coach

Post#92 » by teamLeiweke » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:55 am

Thank goodness Jose is no longer winning this poll.

I was getting worried about our fan base.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#93 » by Patman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:28 am

teamColangelo wrote:
Patman wrote:
teamColangelo wrote:
If it was a system issue, why did I see the same thing in New York yesterday as all those years when he played for Toronto... Did the Raptors run the Triangle Offense all those years ago as well?... NO!!!

Are you really this dense? There's more than one system that holds the ball, and there's more than one system that moves the ball. The Mavericks system, much like the Spurs, is heavy on ball-movement. You put Jose in that environment, and he won't hold the ball. The Raptors' system is about the guards dominating possession time, and that's been the case for years now. Jose didn't fit that system because he can't penetrate like Kyle, DD, Lou, or even Vas. Hell, Gay was actually a better fit in our system than Jose if you take away the dumb shot selection.

Have you ever watch Spain play? Jose moves the ball there too. Their system also relies on ball movement (might be Spanish thing as their soccer team also has a ball-moving philosophy). Jose at his best is a ball-moving PnR PG, who is best paired with a big than both roll or pop (Bosh, Dirk, Gasols, Ibaka).

Whatever the hell the Knicks are running is a piss-poor semblance of the Triangle. Look at how many former Phil Jackson players have come out and said that the Knicks are ruining the system. The triangle at its best is about getting the ball to your dominant scorers, and failing that, it's about ball movement elsewhere. Obviously, this is an oversimplification, but what the Knicks are running is hot garbage.

I'm not even a big Jose fan, but this myth that he holds onto the ball out of his own accord has got to go.

5 and1s vs 0 and1s.

You are simply wrong.

Lmao, we're using And1's as a judge of fact? Really? Popular opinion is fact? My goodness. If And1's existed in the Rennaissance....

Roman Inquisition wrote:The sun revolves around the Earth

458435983245789 And1's

Galileo wrote:The Earth revolves around the Sun

0 And1's

What an idiot that Galileo is.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#94 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:15 am

off the bench I like Calderon. I still think Vasquez is a great player, that NOH year he had where he put up 9+ assists was pretty good, which he'd play like that still.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#95 » by Jstock12 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:21 am

Prime Calderon would be great coming off the bench...
teamLeiweke
Head Coach

Post#96 » by teamLeiweke » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:43 am

Patman wrote:
teamColangelo wrote:
Patman wrote:
The dribbling issue was a system issue, not Jose's.

I'm sure the "system" the coaches draw up tells Jose to wait for a pick for 15 seconds Everytime down the floor so that they can have a forced jumper at the end of the shot clock every possession. If u think that's on the "system" and not the fact that Jose doesn't have the athleticism and first step quickness to beat his man one on one you're delisional.

And why if it's the system but another point guard comes in to play for him on the same team does that point guard not run that same "system" and can suddenly beat his man off the dribble, get in the paint, run a fast break, break down the D, create for others and get to the line. I guess that player is being defiant to the system and coaches but still somehow gets playing time. Or that's just the type of point guard Jose is.

Im tired of taking about this. We disagree. It's fine.

And by the way I'm up to 6 and1s about the type of point guard Jose is where he holds the ball too long and depends on the pick and roll to beat his man and is a terrible defender. This isn't law. It's not science. It's sports opinion.

The vast majority of fans think Michael Jordan is the greatest ever. But I guess the guy (like u) who thinks Rafer Alston is the goat may be right instead. It's sports. We make opinions and majority and consensus does rule when evaluating players. For Mvp voting. For all star ballots for Roy dpoy most improved coy etc etc. And you're alone on your "system" argument. Deal with it.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#97 » by Patman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:04 pm

teamColangelo wrote:
Patman wrote:
teamColangelo wrote:

I'm sure the "system" the coaches draw up tells Jose to wait for a pick for 15 seconds Everytime down the floor so that they can have a forced jumper at the end of the shot clock every possession. If u think that's on the "system" and not the fact that Jose doesn't have the athleticism and first step quickness to beat his man one on one you're delisional.

And why if it's the system but another point guard comes in to play for him on the same team does that point guard not run that same "system" and can suddenly beat his man off the dribble, get in the paint, run a fast break, break down the D, create for others and get to the line. I guess that player is being defiant to the system and coaches but still somehow gets playing time. Or that's just the type of point guard Jose is.

Im tired of taking about this. We disagree. It's fine.

And by the way I'm up to 6 and1s about the type of point guard Jose is where he holds the ball too long and depends on the pick and roll to beat his man and is a terrible defender. This isn't law. It's not science. It's sports opinion.

The vast majority of fans think Michael Jordan is the greatest ever. But I guess the guy (like u) who thinks Rafer Alston is the goat may be right instead. It's sports. We make opinions and majority and consensus does rule when evaluating players. For Mvp voting. For all star ballots for Roy dpoy most improved coy etc etc. And you're alone on your "system" argument. Deal with it.

Skip To My Lou IS the GOAT, son.

Return to Toronto Raptors