ImageImageImageImageImage

New Raptors Logo, Four Colours Revealed (UPDATE P 28)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Do you like the new logo?

Yes
34%
No
66%

Total votes: 401

MS13
Veteran
And1: 4,496

Re: New Raptors Logo, Four Colours Revealed (UPDATE P 28) 

Post#1801 » by MS13 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:07 pm

whysoserious wrote:
ruckus wrote:
GED Education wrote:Deadspin is on it and it's one of the most popular sites...the hate is strong and MLSE is getting killed for how they revealed it. Deadspin, Sportslogos.net, RealGM, petitions, Reddit.....

1. Our team is apparently incredibly popular to have such a reaction
2. Even though I don't mind it, I have seen way too much negative reaction to be comfortable with it now. MLSE must do something or they won't sell much merchandise...which...as pointed out, was stupidly not on sale for the public. MLSE completely botched this.

My only question is why? Why release the new logo now? It's not like the publicity was needed at this point in time. And, I agree that merchandise with the new logo should have been available once the images went out.

The whole timing for it was odd.

The reason why it was released was because they were submitting all the patents that friday and so the logo and colours would have been public for anyone to go find and more people through different organizations would know and so it would get leaked.

They botched in that they just decided to release it very last minute and hastily but they knew this would be an issue the second they filed trademarks/patents so they should have planned better for a release on that day. They effed up but the reason why they released it now makes sense, it's just a failure of execution.

The black/white release of it is what I think caused the uproar. I spoke with one of my friends who work at Sid Lee and she said they didn't even know MLSE made a black/white version.
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,404

Post#1802 » by RandomRaptorfan » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:02 am

Sportsnet suspects some fanmade logos (I recognize almost all from here LOL) were leaks from the organization that were rejected.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/ ... -concepts/

Well it could be that both options are true...and if so then shout out to the people who designed these, your work really went far
Shimso
Starter
And1: 2,703

Post#1803 » by Shimso » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:42 am

RandomRaptorfan wrote:Sportsnet suspects some fanmade logos (I recognize almost all from here LOL) were leaks from the organization that were rejected.

Well it could be that both options are true...and if so then shout out to the people who designed these, your work really went far

I'm normally not a fan of the Maple Leaf being everywhere, but I really like the Raptor in the Maple Leaf logo.
vancouverBC
Junior
And1: 607

Post#1804 » by vancouverBC » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:37 am

the top one looks **** sick though.

these are designs they did not choose.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#1805 » by Jstock12 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:16 am

vancouverBC wrote:Image

Aren't these designed by one of the members of this board? The username is 'gametimetdot' if I remember correctly.
vancouverBC
Junior
And1: 607

Post#1806 » by vancouverBC » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:31 am

I just googled "raptors" and one of the news articles popped up with that
Slim_Charles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#1807 » by Slim_Charles » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:35 pm

RandomRaptorfan wrote:Sportsnet suspects some fanmade logos (I recognize almost all from here LOL) were leaks from the organization that were rejected.

In my opinion, the fan made logos are not that great. The new one is a lot better
Leonardoh
Junior
And1: 273

Post#1808 » by Leonardoh » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:23 pm

Jim Lahey wrote:

In my opinion, the fan made logos are not that great. The new one is a lot better

I agree. I find the fan-made logos tacky.
NowAge
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#1809 » by NowAge » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:24 pm

What do you guys think about this logo I just mocked up? Just a concept, as I'm sure somebody with full artistic abilities can take the mock to the next level. But the current logo wasn't really feeling and wanted to bring our own take. PEACE!

Young_Buc
General Manager
And1: 9,130

Post#1810 » by Young_Buc » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Perfect. The claw with the tower I like.
NowAge
Ballboy

Post#1811 » by NowAge » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks Young_Buc!
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#1812 » by Double Helix » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:54 am

The fan made ones linked to above are tweaks on other dinosaur designs from other artists. That's the issue.

The silver side dino profile was taken from a Reddit submission 2 years ago in red. The biggest difference beyond color being the removal of the tongue from the original artist. The image with the Raptor jumping forward from a maple leaf is from a dinosaur image I shared on here to describe how a front-facing dino might look. Again, this was about 18 months ago and I found that image online from another designer.

So, of the supposed "leaked" designs almost half of them are a mishmash of other artist's designs so it would be hard to credit any one person.
TorontoSlaptors
Junior
And1: 319

Post#1813 » by TorontoSlaptors » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:20 am

Clearly I cant be the only one who sees the resemblance between the new logo and the one pictured on the bottom left of this pic?
Please check out our YouTube channel if you get a chance! Raptors all day! - Thumbhais
TorontoSlaptors
Junior
And1: 319

Post#1814 » by TorontoSlaptors » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:30 am

And I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but Chris Creamer wrote a review on the logo and put it in situations in how it would look on products, apps, etc.

http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/12/21/ ... lications/
Please check out our YouTube channel if you get a chance! Raptors all day! - Thumbhais
AussieRaptor
Junior
And1: 460

Post#1815 » by AussieRaptor » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:41 pm

I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I'm kinda neutral to it. Little disappointing, but it's OK. The uproar seems pretty over the top, but I guess that's what you get with a passionate fan base.

Wouldn't have minded a Memphis Grizzlies type thing tbh, only with a Raptor obviously. I like their look and logo. I also wish they kept purple as an alternate color, though I'm not necessarily against the gold.
AussieRaptor
Junior
And1: 460

Post#1816 » by AussieRaptor » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:49 pm

That "T" is pretty sick with the claw marks.
NowAge
Ballboy

Post#1817 » by NowAge » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:22 pm

Lucky26
Starter
And1: 487

Post#1818 » by Lucky26 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:30 pm

kidr1211 wrote:
ballercb4 wrote:
kidr1211 wrote:

Wtf are you talking about? You don't need drakes permission to use black and gold he doesn't own the colours. There's a poster here who worked for sid lee and said they tried purple etc but at the end they thought black and gold was the best scheme. Lmao so what do you want him to do? "Yeah i saw the new logo and colour scheme but i think its ugly". Obv he's going to hype it up. The dude fully said he had nothing to do with it but because you hate him so much you think he's lying lmao

The Raptors are marketing it as "ovo gold raptors alternative colors/logo" you have to pay him to do that...even the current gear with the gold Raptors logo with the ovo bird on the side he gets paid (gets paid to make the Raptors brand look "cool")...He owns the right to his brand and it associated colors remember it is being marketed as "ovo gold" they have to pay him or seek permission. I am not the only poster who said this. Also, just because you work for sid lee doesn't mean you have knowledge of copyright and trademarks. Its like saying I work at "said" hospital therefore I know how to perform heart surgery...

Where have they marketed they new black and gold colour scheme as OVO gold?

Bro where you think the gold and black came from...look at today's game where they were selling "drake raptors" shirts notice the Raptors written in gold and the owl next to it and then on the inside there is the Raptors logo and Ovo logo next to it...From the other thread:

"But Drake is also annoyed that his preferred colour scheme – black and gold – is not going to be the team’s main display."
Nonetheless, they insist he was part of the entire process. He just didn’t get his way.

“He wasn’t overruled,” said the MLSE source. “Overruled isn’t the right word, because it’s not like he had the final say.”

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1362344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from this one can understand Drake was involved in the rebrand he is upset gold and black is not the primary colors but alternate colors....[/quote]

Either way, If you were to take the logo with the 4 alternative colours, it looks best in black and gold, which would be a great primary colour to introduce into the league imo; but Sid Lee also agreed with Drake in that those colours suited the logo best so I don't know why he is getting the hate.

I understand that some people cannot come to terms with the fact that he is a good recording artist both rapping and composing, but he doesn't really do anything negative himself, it all comes from the haters, and they will regret it when they run him out of the org.
I'll play defense when you get a girlfriend
LeetGoose
Junior
And1: 414

Post#1819 » by LeetGoose » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:00 pm

Jstock12 wrote:

Aren't these designed by one of the members of this board? The username is 'gametimetdot' if I remember correctly.

Yes they are, the first and third one I believe, and they were posted here like over the summer. My current avatar is actually the first one with the red colour scheme he posted.
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,013

Post#1820 » by raptor jesus » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:20 pm

Return to Toronto Raptors