ImageImageImageImageImage

That Playbook, Especially During Closing Time

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

SwaggyB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,595

Re: That Playbook, Especially During Closing Time 

Post#21 » by SwaggyB » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:59 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:In the last 5 mins of 4th Qs, games within 5 pts or less, the ORTG is 108.0. The Spurs 103.1.

The Spurs playbook is hot garbage too.

Edit: Futhermore, the Raps ORTG is 109.3. ATL is 106.8. SAS is 104.4. POR is 105.4.

In 4th Qs the Raps ORTG is 110.1. ATL is 109.1. SAS is 107.3. POR is 106.9. LAC is 109.6.

Alot of garbage offenses in the league these days.

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of our own ORTG in January vs the rest of the season so far... how much did our hot start have to do with it looking so good in comparison to these other teams?
OlFlashy
Rookie
And1: 363

Post#22 » by OlFlashy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:06 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:In the last 5 mins of 4th Qs, games within 5 pts or less, the ORTG is 108.0. The Spurs 103.1.

Edit: Futhermore, the Raps ORTG is 109.3. ATL is 106.8. SAS is 104.4. POR is 105.4.

In 4th Qs the Raps ORTG is 110.1. ATL is 109.1. SAS is 107.3. POR is 106.9. LAC is 109.6.

Cmon man. The eye test is what really matters!
OlFlashy
Rookie
And1: 363

Post#23 » by OlFlashy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:08 pm

SwaggyB wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of our own ORTG in January vs the rest of the season so far... how much did our hot start have to do with it looking so good in comparison to these other teams?

How is that question relevant though? It's the same playbook in January as it has been for Oct, Nov, Dec.
SwaggyB
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by SwaggyB » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:15 pm

OlFlashy wrote:
SwaggyB wrote:

How is that question relevant though? It's the same playbook in January as it has been for Oct, Nov, Dec.

It's relevant because the shots were falling in the beginning. That never seemed sustainable, and now it seems the shots aren't falling so I expect the recent ORTG is much lower and is just staying afloat because of how lucky we were to start.
SciencePiggy
Analyst
And1: 1,968

Post#25 » by SciencePiggy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:20 pm

OlFlashy wrote:
SwaggyB wrote:

And good teams scout and adjust accordingly. Is it really that outlandish to question if January is a slump vs Raptors coming back down to earth vs opponents forcing them into taking more difficult shots?
Cheers to Turbo_Zone
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#26 » by Mikistan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:29 pm

team edward wrote:

Get out of here with your statistics and evidence. My gut tells me I hate Casey and love Jonas!

The data is skewed by all the game we wont earlier int he season/held leads thru
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#27 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:32 pm

So now its a 9 game sample vs what 82 (64 without RG) + 32 games this/last year??

Seems fair/rational.

How many times do we have to shift goal posts to prove narratives??

I get it guys, you hate Dwane Casey. It only took NBA teams 114 (96 without RG) games to scout them I guess.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#28 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:34 pm

Mikistan wrote:
team edward wrote:

Get out of here with your statistics and evidence. My gut tells me I hate Casey and love Jonas!

The data is skewed by all the game we wont earlier int he season/held leads thru

So we shouldnt count that??

Some dumb logic ITT.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#29 » by Mikistan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
team edward wrote:Get out of here with your statistics and evidence. My gut tells me I hate Casey and love Jonas!

Some dumb logic ITT.

Just because something worked 2 months ago doesn't mean we are doing it now...?
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#30 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:43 pm

Mikistan wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

Some dumb logic ITT.

So last year doesnt count either right? All that matters is 9 games??
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#31 » by Mikistan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:46 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

Some dumb logic ITT.

By this logic Kobe still deserves 24+ million
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#32 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:50 pm

Mikistan wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

I dont what that means.

But if were using non sequiturs, you guys must think Bargnani is an allstar for those 13 games (4 more games than your example)??

How many other examples of something bad can we derive from 9 game samples??

JV must be the worst defensive big man in the entire NBA.
SwaggyB
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by SwaggyB » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:52 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

Some dumb logic ITT.

For the record, I was just curious to see the comparison.. not that anything shouldn't count.
VinBaker6
RealGM
And1: 61,808

Re: Re: That Playbook, Especially During Closing Time 

Post#34 » by VinBaker6 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:53 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

I dont what that means.

But if were using non sequiturs, you guys must think Bargnani is an allstar for those 13 games (4 more games than your example)??

It's always nice to have you smack these #clownish narratives.

Sent from my XT1034 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#35 » by Mikistan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:56 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:

I dont what that means.

What I am saying is that the usage and team is performing differently (which matches the eye test) and *GASP* results of games in the past 9 games. Which means that if we have the data, we are likely to find correlation between what some posters see in the game and what is recorded on the box score.

And you know what, maybe we shouldn't look at last years stats. We have new players, new rotations and teams have scouted us extensively ...
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#36 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Mikistan wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

I dont what that means.

What I am saying is that the usage and team is performing differently (which matches the eye test) and *GASP* results of games in the past 9 games. Which means that if we have the data, we are likely to find correlation between what some posters see in the game and what is recorded on the box score.

And you know what, maybe we shouldn't look at last years stats. We have new players, new rotations and teams have scouted us extensively ...

A third of those games came against top 5 DRTGs. If you isolate just January, 6 of the 9 came against top 10 DRTGs.

New players? Like incorporating their top USG guy back into the fold after an injury??

Again, you take 9 games to define "the playbook", and disregard why it took 100+ games to scout and stop it.
kplooksafterme
Bench Warmer
And1: 280

Post#37 » by kplooksafterme » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:27 pm

There are no plays at any time on this team. Everything is either an isolation shot, an isolation play where someone makes a good backdoor cut, or some actual ball movement during transition offence. There are no plays ever, and it's a huge problem.
Mikistan
RealGM

Post#38 » by Mikistan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:28 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
I dont what that means.

A third of those games came against top 5 DRTGs. If you isolate just January, 6 of the 9 came against top 10 DRTGs.

New players? Like incorporating their top USG guy back into the fold after an injury??

Again, you take 9 games to define "the playbook", and disregard why it took 100+ games to scout and stop it.

More like JJ and Lou who weren't on the roster last year.

You're right though; I never argued anything about throwing out stats. But there is nothing wrong with doing trend analysis on shorter game increments - I'm not trying to form a end-all conclusion based on small sample sizes.

The only thing that is really significant is 0/2 in Game 7s in franchise history. One of those was with the current coach, drawing up a play from his 'playbook' on the wrong side of the court...

If your stats point to us being infallible this season, and you can't admit that we've been on a slide and could improve then you need to reassess your dependency on statistical evidence as a function of all possible ways to analyze the game.

You talk about narratives then throw out Bargnani's 13 game sample size? Pot calling the kettle high if you ask me
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#39 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Mikistan wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

More like JJ and Lou who weren't on the roster last year.

You're right though; I never argued anything about throwing out stats. But there is nothing wrong with doing trend analysis on shorter game increments - I'm not trying to form a end-all conclusion based on small sample sizes.

The only thing that is really significant is 0/2 in Game 7s in franchise history. One of those was with the current coach, drawing up a play from his 'playbook' on the wrong side of the court...

If your stats point to us being infallible this season, and you can't admit that we've been on a slide and could improve then you need to reassess your dependency on statistical evidence as a function of all possible ways to analyze the game.

You talk about narratives then throw out Bargnani's 13 game sample size? Pot calling the kettle high if you ask me

Youre aware that a play can be used by more than 1 different players correct? (ex: KL running DDs off the ball sets while he was injured).

I brought up Bargnanis 13 games in relation to the 9 games of January (and JVs defense too), comparing small samples sizes that might be *GASP* outliers.

Nothing like anecdotal evidence to support your claim, so we agree 9 games is too small, but one play (game 7) is the defining moment??

If you think that DCs "playbook" is bad because of a small sample size (9 games, where weve played tough defenses) and I disagree, then saying "If your stats point to us being infallible this season, and you can't admit that we've been on a slide", is the same thing? then I dont even know where youre going with this.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM

Post#40 » by vini_vidi_vici » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:49 pm

kplooksafterme wrote:There are no plays at any time on this team. Everything is either an isolation shot, an isolation play where someone makes a good backdoor cut, or some actual ball movement during transition offence. There are no plays ever, and it's a huge problem.

No SLOB plays.

Def no PnR.

No Horns.

No off the ball screen action for the wings, etc..

I feel like either a) you guys are too busy typing, and just look up to hear the Devlin say "3 from Markham", or b) dont understand basketball.

Guess what team is 2nd in PTs per touch, and 3rd in PTs per half court touch??

Guess what team is 4th in ORTG (per NBA.com) and 2nd (per BBREF)??

Guess what team is 6th in TS%??

Guess what team is 9th in eFG%/FTr??

Guess what team rhymes with Craptors??

Return to Toronto Raptors