ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: An idea for the 2016 Dunk Contest in T.O.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

engageTHEmasses
Senior
And1: 206

Re: OT: An idea for the 2016 Dunk Contest in T.O. 

Post#21 » by engageTHEmasses » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:29 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:Yeah the dunk competition has definitely lost it's lustre. Not a huge fan of the ASG and the weekend festivities to begin with though.
My suggestion is to create an octagon and have a fight tournament of all the NBA mascots. I think that would be interesting.

I think your namesake should be the ref for that tourney.
===========
The Boy wrote:
trick wrote:Slavery was also an old-time tradition...

wtf bruh

Derrick Rose wrote:They're saying us and Golden State are the super teams.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,390

Post#22 » by Mikistan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:40 pm

too many people = too many dunks = not enough time for commercials
no one wants to see dunks man
they want commercials
thats why kia made the dunk contest into a commercial on year

duh
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,361

Post#23 » by WiggOuts » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Last year they fully ended the contest early. It looked like everyone saved their best dunk for last then all of a sudden they ran out of time and the contest was done. You cant blame the dunkers for this poor showing, whoever was responsible for planning this event **** up. At the very least, you make sure you get the full effect of your main event, cut time from the skills comp or 3pt contest but not the damn main event...terrible planning

Why not let the dunkers decide what kind of contest they participate in...theyre the ones putting on the show, why not give them full creative responsibility to show their stuff.

Instead of having a small group why not have one dunker per team with 2 wild cards. Each guy gets 1 dunk (2 attempts) and do speed rounds. It might take a bit longer but EVERY team will feel involved and they can nominate who the want to represent. Conf. vs conf. with a final round. Well see a better product with guys doing one dunk vs one guy showing off his full bag of tricks
team edward
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,981

Re: Re: OT: An idea for the 2016 Dunk Contest in T.O. 

Post#24 » by team edward » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:50 pm

almatic wrote:
team edward wrote:I'd like to see a US vs the world all star game, that might be interesting.

We're not there yet.

The Gasol's were the only Internationals voted in.
Now, under the current East vs West format, what non-US players can you argue will make the reserves this year? Horford? Maybe Gortat? Vucevic?.. not enough yet.

Too many American players will get snubbed from ASG appearances. Even the NHL had to drop their North America vs World thing a few years ago.

Well that's an easy fix. Alternate East vs West with USA vs the World each year. Have people vote them in. If the 6th best American point guard doesn't make the all-star game, who cares? Basketball is a more global game then hockey and the league is looking to expand on a global basis more than the NHL. With the NHL, the all star game is really about pleasing Canadian and major US market audiences

They are already going to do this instead of the rookie v sophmore game, so maybe they are already thinking about this long term.
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect
And1: 397

Post#25 » by basketballbeans » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:55 pm

engageTHEmasses wrote:I hate what the dunk contest has become. I"m a homer who thinks it hasn't been the same since Vince owned in 2000. But, reality is reality, and the NBA doesn't look like they're going to do much to make us happy. So I figured, why not toss out an idea that I think still addresses the NBA's idea of what they want to do, while actually making the contest a must-watch again.

There were still nice dunk contests after Vince Carter... don't pretend Jason Richardson didn't kill it the three times he was in (2002, 2003, 2004). Dude was one of the nicest dunk contest dunkers the NBA has ever seen.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmfC3VMhVRo[/youtube]
dozendonuts
Sixth Man
And1: 2,878

Post#26 » by dozendonuts » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:01 pm

team edward wrote:I'd like to see a US vs the world all star game, that might be interesting.

Watch FIBA World Cup
ElectricMayhem wrote:If Kevin Martin walks? You blow it up, you tank, you pray to high heaven that another once in a generation Kevin Martin-type player somehow lands on your team. That's all you can do, really.
...c.a.p...
Starter
And1: 503

Post#27 » by ...c.a.p... » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:20 pm

FortyDayzdone wrote:it is a lost cause... it has been dead for 20 something years now.. it came back when vince won ... an came back again when richardson won....personally to me...its been irrelevant since dwight howard won on the super man thing

Dr Octagon wrote:I think the Dunk Contest is a lost cause.

Just play the 2000 Contest on the jumbotron and call it a day.

I've got it. Hologram replaying of the 2000 Slam Dunk Contest live on your home court. Money maker.
DerrickRose16 wrote:
Wade is basically Ben Gordon without the 3-point shooting. Sure, he's been a pretty good defender this year, so that would upgrade, but I'd rather have Gordon because he's cheaper and can hit those threes
engageTHEmasses
Senior
And1: 206

Post#28 » by engageTHEmasses » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:37 am

SoulFly23 wrote:
engageTHEmasses wrote:I hate what the dunk contest has become. I"m a homer who thinks it hasn't been the same since Vince owned in 2000. But, reality is reality, and the NBA doesn't look like they're going to do much to make us happy. So I figured, why not toss out an idea that I think still addresses the NBA's idea of what they want to do, while actually making the contest a must-watch again.

There were still nice dunk contests after Vince Carter... don't pretend Jason Richardson didn't kill it the three times he was in (2002, 2003, 2004). Dude was one of the nicest dunk contest dunkers the NBA has ever seen.

You're right--- J-Rich had some great stuff. But the contests kind of slid overall overtime, that's all I was saying. Didn't feel like the same 'talk about the next day' kind of thing. But I hear ya.

**EDIT**-- Wheel of dunks, average crowd response at times, nothing as Vinsane as 2000. A few that were up there. But I stand by my first statement.
===========
The Boy wrote:
trick wrote:Slavery was also an old-time tradition...

wtf bruh

Derrick Rose wrote:They're saying us and Golden State are the super teams.
mieshpal
Veteran
And1: 2,006

Post#29 » by mieshpal » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:20 am

the team idea last year was great, but they have to branch it off to individuals better.
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect
And1: 397

Post#30 » by basketballbeans » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:28 pm

engageTHEmasses wrote:
SoulFly23 wrote:

You're right--- J-Rich had some great stuff. But the contests kind of slid overall overtime, that's all I was saying. Didn't feel like the same 'talk about the next day' kind of thing. But I hear ya.

**EDIT**-- Wheel of dunks, average crowd response at times, nothing as Vinsane as 2000. A few that were up there. But I stand by my first statement.

The off the backboard thru the legs was crazy nice tho.
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#31 » by almatic » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:02 pm

I don't get how people are all like "well the dunk contest fell off after 2000 & Vince Carter"....
When that ONE dunk contest came out of nowhere to actually revive a dunk contest that had fallen off already.
The dunk contest CAME BACK in 2000 after the NBA decided not to have one in the 1998 All-Star weekend, and then the lockout happened in 1999.
People crap on the 2000's contests for some reason, even though the early ones with J-Rich & Desmond Mason were pretty good...
The mid-90's dunk contests were a lot worse. People like to say they need names like 'Kobe' in it again, when Kobe's dunk contest was pretty awful & boring compared to Jason Richardson's wins.
Iamnotshaq
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#32 » by Iamnotshaq » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 pm

Dunk Contest is done for because of the lack of creativity.
RandomRaptorfan
Veteran
And1: 2,404

Post#33 » by RandomRaptorfan » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:16 am

If only they'd get rid of it this year and have it come back in 2016 hosted by VC, the hype would be reignited to crazy levels
Shimso
Starter
And1: 2,703

Post#34 » by Shimso » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:04 am

The NBA's All-Star week should be more like the NHL. The NHL's one is quite fun, quite a few guys are mic'ed, and they do stupid things (like all of Ovechkin's shootout attempts just for entertainment; "trading" kessel for seguin, etc.). And the idea of having captains pick teams wouldd be a nice change from East vs West.

IMO the dunk contest could work, even without elite dunkers, if it just followed a basic format. Not that garbage East vs West team dunking they had last year.

Return to Toronto Raptors