ImageImageImageImageImage

Why are people disappointed?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Slade3
Sixth Man
And1: 805

Re: Why are people disappointed? 

Post#21 » by Slade3 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:32 am

RaptorsFTL wrote:To preface, I do not believe this team can win a title. It has the tools to do so, but a lot of them are growing, and still need one big injection of talent, most likely at the 3-4 spot to really be in contention.

This season is the best in Raptors history. We will break records in wins, be a top 3 team in the East, and if everyone took a step back, in all likelihood, play in the second round and get bounced.

These are the following points of emphasis brought forth:

"But they can't beat elite teams!"

What exactly is elite? Above 0.500? We are 10-11. Not great but around 0.500, for comparisons sake in the East only Atlanta and Chicago are above 0.500 at 15-5 and 11-9. It is only 42 games into the season, last season at this point people thought we were tanking, so give it time. It is not as though we have not beaten elite teams. Clippers, Memphis (forget the injuries, we had no Demar and played very well, they had their all-stars), we beat Atlanta and one was at the end of November, so do not give me the, they were still finding their way. A win is a win. Had we lost at the beginning of the year, people would be screaming that we couldn't even beat an Atlanta team that wasn't good yet. Wins are wins, only we arbitrarily put asterisks on them. Phoenix is a good team, Milwaukee is a solid team, Cleveland was a good win.

Last year we had relatively the same squad, now that is even deeper, and we beat some of these leagues best teams as well. To say we have regressed simply for the sake of it is being 16 and emotional.

"But they can't beat the minnows anymore"

Did you expect them to beat every team below 0.500? We are in a lull in the season, as is Chicago, as is San Antonio, as is OKC. It happens. The team just got Demar back, and yes, I understand, he has not played well in the past 3 games, but I don't forget an entire season of Demar. He is a driver who gets to the line and who in the midrange off of screens is a lethal shooter. Give him some time. His legs are a bit slow and he is forcing the issue, but let's not have knee jerk reactions to a few games one way or the other.

"This team isn't a contender"

Already discussed this but I'll bite again. Who said it was? Did you buy into the early season hype perpetuated by the media? Everyone who has watched basketball knew we would lose 7 of 10 or 8 of 12 at some point. It is just the law of averages. We, as I said, don't have the talent to win, but are just taking it steps at a time. We will once again win a few in a row and have a really hot streak and find our footing again. The same individuals who advocated tanking are now saying we should have tanked because this team has already peaked. You do realize that our core is still developing, which is pretty much exactly what you would have envisioned had we tanked as well. Look what tanking did for other teams. We were better off keeping these assets than tanking for the most overrated draft class of all time. If we got Wiggins or Parker, maybe you can make an argument, but the chances of that were slim to none.

Yes, if we do not win a round, it is disappointing, but neither is it the end of the world. I anticipate us to win a round. All those who thought BK was an awful playoff team, well although the series went to 5, game 5 was BK's until the refs played a part and it was all tightly contested contests. If that is the ceiling, which a realistic ceiling, then no room for disappointment.

The tools are there to win, but more are needed to take another step. We have taken steps almost every year in the past 2-3 years. I for one believe Casey needs to go, but I do not say everyone should follow my lead. Masai has done some great things, missed out on a few things here and there, but overall has a great resume, so I believe everyone needs to just calm down and have some perspective.

We will reach 50 wins, home court for a second year in a row, most likely face a Milwaukee, BK or Miami. I am pretty excited about what will happen this year.

Let me ask you a question. Which poster has said that the Raptors will win a championship with this lineup? Stop trying to catch a fish where there aren't any.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#22 » by Steelo Green » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:50 am

Slade3 wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:To preface, I do not believe this team can win a title. It has the tools to do so, but a lot of them are growing, and still need one big injection of talent, most likely at the 3-4 spot to really be in contention.

This season is the best in Raptors history. We will break records in wins, be a top 3 team in the East, and if everyone took a step back, in all likelihood, play in the second round and get bounced.

These are the following points of emphasis brought forth:

"But they can't beat elite teams!"

What exactly is elite? Above 0.500? We are 10-11. Not great but around 0.500, for comparisons sake in the East only Atlanta and Chicago are above 0.500 at 15-5 and 11-9. It is only 42 games into the season, last season at this point people thought we were tanking, so give it time. It is not as though we have not beaten elite teams. Clippers, Memphis (forget the injuries, we had no Demar and played very well, they had their all-stars), we beat Atlanta and one was at the end of November, so do not give me the, they were still finding their way. A win is a win. Had we lost at the beginning of the year, people would be screaming that we couldn't even beat an Atlanta team that wasn't good yet. Wins are wins, only we arbitrarily put asterisks on them. Phoenix is a good team, Milwaukee is a solid team, Cleveland was a good win.

Last year we had relatively the same squad, now that is even deeper, and we beat some of these leagues best teams as well. To say we have regressed simply for the sake of it is being 16 and emotional.

"But they can't beat the minnows anymore"

Did you expect them to beat every team below 0.500? We are in a lull in the season, as is Chicago, as is San Antonio, as is OKC. It happens. The team just got Demar back, and yes, I understand, he has not played well in the past 3 games, but I don't forget an entire season of Demar. He is a driver who gets to the line and who in the midrange off of screens is a lethal shooter. Give him some time. His legs are a bit slow and he is forcing the issue, but let's not have knee jerk reactions to a few games one way or the other.

"This team isn't a contender"

Already discussed this but I'll bite again. Who said it was? Did you buy into the early season hype perpetuated by the media? Everyone who has watched basketball knew we would lose 7 of 10 or 8 of 12 at some point. It is just the law of averages. We, as I said, don't have the talent to win, but are just taking it steps at a time. We will once again win a few in a row and have a really hot streak and find our footing again. The same individuals who advocated tanking are now saying we should have tanked because this team has already peaked. You do realize that our core is still developing, which is pretty much exactly what you would have envisioned had we tanked as well. Look what tanking did for other teams. We were better off keeping these assets than tanking for the most overrated draft class of all time. If we got Wiggins or Parker, maybe you can make an argument, but the chances of that were slim to none.

Yes, if we do not win a round, it is disappointing, but neither is it the end of the world. I anticipate us to win a round. All those who thought BK was an awful playoff team, well although the series went to 5, game 5 was BK's until the refs played a part and it was all tightly contested contests. If that is the ceiling, which a realistic ceiling, then no room for disappointment.

The tools are there to win, but more are needed to take another step. We have taken steps almost every year in the past 2-3 years. I for one believe Casey needs to go, but I do not say everyone should follow my lead. Masai has done some great things, missed out on a few things here and there, but overall has a great resume, so I believe everyone needs to just calm down and have some perspective.

We will reach 50 wins, home court for a second year in a row, most likely face a Milwaukee, BK or Miami. I am pretty excited about what will happen this year.

Let me ask you a question. Which poster has said that the Raptors will win a championship with this lineup? Stop trying to catch a fish where there aren't any.

Few things, many have said that people made the argument we're a contender to which I ask, who has made this argument.

People are getting upset in the past 12 games, why? They thought we might chase 60 wins and keep up pace. It's just not how good this team is. You can make snotty remarks all you want, but read the game thread and you see what people expect.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#23 » by Volcano » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:59 am

Most people were hoping for an Atlanta-like season. Even though we're young, we likely don't have the 2-way personnel for it. An Atlanta-like team has always been my own personal wish. They have two way players, defense, a balanced team and a selfless system + players.

Both Ujiri and Casey have stated the wins were fool's gold in a sense too. We're a team that's half in the development stage and half in the win-now stage, with the goal being the 2nd round. Raptor fans have been patient for like 20 years, but they'll need to exercise more patience if this team is to be built the right way.

Lunchpailhero1 wrote:Its funny how we always talk about how a team handles a slump, but what about a fan base?

Clearly, some our fan base has not handled this well at all.

its almost like some fans have this entitlement that they expect the raptors to be elite now just because they got off to a hot start.

Raptors in a slump --> Raptor fans complain about slump --> Raptor fans complain about other Raptor fans complaining about slumps

all you guys do is COMPLAIN!!

now I'm a Raptors fan complaining about Raptor fans complaining about other Raptor fans complaining about slumps
tms
Veteran
And1: 2,112

Post#24 » by tms » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:02 am

not disappointed. i like the team. future is bright no matter how far they go this year- might as well cheer them on and see what happens. i'll say this, tho: they are the most likeable Raptors team in history. even when they're not playing well it's fun.

Return to Toronto Raptors