ImageImageImageImageImage

Let's talk about the fans

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

nitrous
General Manager
And1: 11,470

Re: Let's talk about the fans 

Post#21 » by nitrous » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:06 am

Raptors lost the momentum and it's taken quite a while to get that momentum back. Raptors are losing to bad teams at home. Give the fans something to cheer about and it doesn't help when players like T-Ross who can light up excitement seem to not care about the game at all.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,938

Post#22 » by Anticon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:09 am

Was at the Pelicans game...fans have passion but little tolerance for Ajinca scoring 20 odd points. One thing that the Raps do need is someone to lay out some hard fouls when players get going...my money is on Hayes and JJ. Toronto crowd still loves stuff like that.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#23 » by Geddy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:48 am

Ever since the organization started going on about how great the atmosphere is in the arena it feels like the crowds have gone quiet. I guess the playoff like atmosphere to start the season wasn't sustainable, but will probably return towards the end of the season.
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#24 » by Bankai » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:50 am

The team basically is eeking out a win here and there. They might win some of these recent games but they are struggling to do so. Fans can innately tell that they are not playing that well at all.
GED Education
General Manager
And1: 9,872

Post#25 » by GED Education » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:52 am

The games have been boring for one. The team isn't playing a fun style anymore....and also, it's that point of the season when it's just ho-hum.
Stupid Quote Hall of Fame:

Hue Durant wrote:demar has no use on this team

James has come back to toronto completely elite.
GED Education
General Manager
And1: 9,872

Post#26 » by GED Education » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:54 am

Also, and this may anger some....the Raptor crowds are becoming like Leaf crowds and that's GOOD THING because the fans are now going not to be entertained, but to watch the Raptors win....they are smarter fans now as well and not just there to be there. They've re-built the fanbase to care about winning and good play, not Drake Night.
Stupid Quote Hall of Fame:

Hue Durant wrote:demar has no use on this team

James has come back to toronto completely elite.
kirkwood
Starter
And1: 1,718

Let's talk about the fans 

Post#27 » by kirkwood » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:54 am

Bankai wrote:The team basically is eeking out a win here and there. They might win some of these recent games but they are struggling to do so. Fans can innately tell that they are not playing that well at all.
I guess the weird part is they are quiet in them close games, if we are up four with two minutes left I would expect some noise wether the game sucked or not.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ThomasMRiddle
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#28 » by ThomasMRiddle » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:04 am

Players talk about fans too. They say stuff like "Our fans suck - I wish we could trade them for yours" or "Lets blow it up and move the franchise to another city so we can get more appreciative fans".
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,783
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#29 » by Boogie! » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:19 am

Losing home games to the hornets, pistons and Pelicans without ad is pretty depressing. Getting destroyed by the Hawks at home is also depressing. Can't blame the fans for losing a little bit of belief in the team with this pathetic string if performances... If they can get back to where they were a few weeks ago I have no doubt the fans will be back.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#30 » by Asif16 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:21 am

Leafs suits are migrating
Lucky 24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,303

Post#31 » by Lucky 24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:09 am

I went to the Hawks game a couple of weeks ago and you can tell the fans were ready to go crazy on a Friday night , even though they trailed from the tipoff and were down 20 in the 4th and made a little run to cut it to 17, the fans would get really into it but unfortunately two unforced turnovers took the air out of the moment and this has been all too common over the past month. Inconsistent play has caused our fans to be taken out of the game.

I also agree that the increase in demand of tickets has resulted in higher ticket prices which has to some extent priced out some of our more raucous fans from attending. I am personally starting to save up most of my cash for playoff tickets as I only have so much money to spend on attending games. Will probably go to 1 or 2 more regular season games whereas last year I went to about 10 regular season games. That's the cost of winning and being popular.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#32 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:55 am

We made two significant, or more less significant, changes in Lou and JJ and how they play sets the tone. JJ = 3 minutes vs the Pistons and Lou takes a booster back seat to Grievous Vasquez. Grievous isn't earning his stripes and is why we have been giving up over a hundred points during the slump. Grievous' hot and mostly frosty game is giving us fits during this malaise.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,101

Post#33 » by tecumseh18 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:09 pm

This season schedule with its long stretches of home games may be a factor. Familiarity breeds contempt. It's hard to keep that college ball thing going.

Also, the Pelicans' game and tonight were Family Night games. I know cuz I brought my kids. You get a little less "atmosphere" at such games.

Butstarting with the Bulls loss earlier this season and the Hawks blow-out last week (or so), coupled with the terrible losses (Charlotte, Pelicans) to bad teams missing their top starters, I'd say there is a little less trust in this team. The fans are in wait and see mode. Toronto fans have had their hearts broken too many times,
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,513

Post#34 » by OakleyDokely » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:45 pm

reg season is too long

impossible to have a playoff atmosphere, every game, for 41 games.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#35 » by Troubadour » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:31 pm

If you don't come to games, don't comment on the atmosphere. You're dealing with recency bias because we've dropped a few at home. Fans checked out of the Atlanta game and were subsequently crushed by the Pelicans game. The fans were loud last night.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#36 » by Troubadour » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:33 pm

GED Education wrote:Also, and this may anger some....the Raptor crowds are becoming like Leaf crowds and that's GOOD THING because the fans are now going not to be entertained, but to watch the Raptors win....they are smarter fans now as well and not just there to be there. They've re-built the fanbase to care about winning and good play, not Drake Night.

They are nothing like Leafs crowds! My goodness, you watch three games on TV in the past week and make these sweeping statements. Raptors games are 10x more diverse, passionate, and energetic than Leafs games. Yes, you will see the odd group of guys in suits who are there to "take in" a Raptors game. For the most part, every section has 10-12 crazy fans who lead cheers throughout the game.

Also fans love Drake Night. That was a great night.

Again - if you don't go to the games, stop commenting on what happens at them. You see 10% of what goes on on TV.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#37 » by whysoserious » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:41 pm

Geddy wrote:Ever since the organization started going on about how great the atmosphere is in the arena it feels like the crowds have gone quiet. I guess the playoff like atmosphere to start the season wasn't sustainable, but will probably return towards the end of the season.

It didn't help that we went on the road for like 3 weeks, came back struggling and really haven't hosted a high quality opponent at home and struggled that first home stretch back at home.

But the crowd is definitely more quiet. The Raps need to give em something to cheer about more though as well.
Axl
Senior
And1: 113

Post#38 » by Axl » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Basketball is a game of momentum, fans are part of that.
Players that rely on fans to get them going will never succeed, it's the other way around most of the time.
-Deep thots with Axl
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#39 » by jonny three time » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:16 pm

How many fan bases are great when their team is on a skid, doesn't play an entertaining style (lack of ball movement, 3s and highlights in general) and is possibly looking like fools gold after being the most hyped team the first month and a half of the season. It's not exactly a great recipe for fan support.
2pat
Rookie
And1: 1,335

Post#40 » by 2pat » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 pm

Too many bandwagoners with cash to spare attending games. People got a little bit spoiled and now feel entitled. Similar thing is happening in Chicago, the main difference being Chicago's **** record at home, pedigree as a franchise, and talent-filled roster which gives their fans a bit more justification for being quiet at home.

Return to Toronto Raptors