ImageImageImageImageImage

Feschuk's speculation: Masai's hands were tied by MLSE regarding coaching changes

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Re: Feschuk: MLSE wouldn't let Masai fire Casey, his hands were tied 

Post#21 » by Yosemite Dan » Tue May 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Lol what a terrible story. So MLSE wouldn't allow Masai to fire Casey, who's making peanuts as a head coach, but Masai fired a couple of assistants to appease MLSE. So MLSE was mad about the season but just not mad enough to fire Casey? That makes no sense. Looks like Feschuk had nothing to write about and just decided to make more stuff up.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#22 » by Troubadour » Tue May 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Yosemite Dan wrote:Lol what a terrible story. So MLSE wouldn't allow Masai to fire Casey, who's making peanuts as a head coach, but Masai fired a couple of assistants to appease MLSE. So MLSE was mad about the season but just not mad enough to fire Casey? That makes no sense. Looks like Feschuk had nothing to write about and just decided to make more stuff up.

Not what was said. MLSE demanded some kind of change was made. The inference from the interview was that Ujiri would have preferred to let things be for a while.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#23 » by dagger » Tue May 19, 2015 5:08 pm

Troubadour wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:Lol what a terrible story. So MLSE wouldn't allow Masai to fire Casey, who's making peanuts as a head coach, but Masai fired a couple of assistants to appease MLSE. So MLSE was mad about the season but just not mad enough to fire Casey? That makes no sense. Looks like Feschuk had nothing to write about and just decided to make more stuff up.

Not what was said. MLSE demanded some kind of change was made. The inference from the interview was that Ujiri would have preferred to let things be for a while.

Again, I have a problem with Newsman's headlines. He is extrapolating what he wants to see, not accurately reflecting what was said. It sounds as if MLSE was ready for more fundamental change.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Spragga
General Manager
And1: 1,679

Feschuk: Masai's hands were tied by MLSE regarding coaching changes 

Post#24 » by Spragga » Tue May 19, 2015 5:08 pm

If MSLE loves Casey so much he should pull a Butch and go for Masais job. Then he can build the type of veteran defensive team he wants.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Re: Feschuk: MLSE wouldn't let Masai fire Casey 

Post#25 » by Tacoma » Tue May 19, 2015 5:09 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:I don't get why MLSE would care whether Masai fires Casey or not. Casey's salary is a drop in the bucket for them.

Agreed. It doesn't make sense. Masai had a comfortable position with Denver and wasn't looking for a job. It was MLSE that approached Denver to ask if they can speak with Masai. So Masai had good leverage to negotiate a contract to his favor so why would he sign here without a clause that he has final say on standard GM matters like coaching decisions? Why would he quit Denver to have his hands tied in Toronto? Masai would be stupid if he didn't put those clauses into his contract. He had leverage.

Also, why would MLSE object if Masai wants to replace Casey? The financial loss would be only $3.5M (only 1 of remaining 2 years is guaranteed) which is chump change by MLSE standards. So if money is not the problem for MLSE, what other problem would cause them to override Masai? They hired Masai to make these decisions and now they're overriding his authority?

Doesn't make sense unless they have lost trust in Masai.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#26 » by Troubadour » Tue May 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Tacoma wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:I don't get why MLSE would care whether Masai fires Casey or not. Casey's salary is a drop in the bucket for them.

Agreed. It doesn't make sense. Masai had a comfortable position with Denver and wasn't looking for a job. It was MLSE that approached Denver to ask if they can speak with Masai. So Masai had good leverage to negotiate a contract to his favor so why would he sign here without a clause that he has final say on standard GM matters like coaching decisions? Why would he quit Denver to have his hands tied in Toronto? Masai would be stupid if he didn't put those clauses into his contract. He had leverage.

Also, why would MLSE object if Masai wants to replace Casey? The financial loss would be only $3.5M (only 1 of remaining 2 years is guaranteed) which is chump change by MLSE standards. So if money is not the problem for MLSE, what other problem would cause them to override Masai? They hired Masai to make these decisions and now they're overriding his authority?

How have you made the leap that MLSE does not trust Ujiri? Seriously?

The interview simply said that the board demanded action and was not satisfied unless someone got fired. Ujiri's preference would have been to let the dust settle, but he appeased the board and fired two assistants.

That's what happened. Your soap opera is all in your head.
Northface82
RealGM
And1: 59,711

Re: Feschuk: Masai's hands were tied by MLSE regarding coaching changes 

Post#27 » by Northface82 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:14 pm

This **** franchise just can't EVER get their **** together.
I will be looking forward to chalking up a substantial amount of L's for next season.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#28 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue May 19, 2015 5:14 pm

So MLSE demanded that someone get the axe?

Man, that's rough.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#29 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue May 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Feshcuk's point was - board wants to see next steps after the meeting so Masai had to do something and so, short of firing Casey, Masai "had to" fire some assistants, and then followed it up with, "a good guess as any" as to what happened. And it also completely ignores the point that Bayno actually wanted out. I'm like to hear more about why Bayno wanted out, myself.

Thread tittle should be changed.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#30 » by LLJ » Tue May 19, 2015 5:15 pm

No such thing as true autonomy at MLSE. I've been saying this for years.
StevieWonderMic
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#31 » by StevieWonderMic » Tue May 19, 2015 5:16 pm

That's some bullshy.
Masai can't be a man and speak up? Or this mother stuck In evaluating mode?
That writer is a pos too.
You know why JV looks bad defensively? Cuz the guards are so shy.
Lowry came back fat after all-star. Why didn't anyone say anything?! Demar is supposed to be the Leader too...I think Casey did elude to it in the exit interviews and the man just had to use what he had to work with. What was he gon do? Start Trashquez? I still don't get why JJ didn't get any burn. That shy baffles me. You know why Pop is successful? He plays his players strengths. Casey is trying to recreate Dallas. And Masai is a doofus.

Everyone is a little too comfortable at mlse. They know they have our money. It's time to boycott anything mlse. I know it's hard not to rep your city and cheering for another team is just not the same but shyt. And that ugly ass rebrand. To what sell more jerseys and merch? I saw this mug at Walmart, it was a dollar. I saw the same mug at real sports with a leafs sticker on it $10...
kplooksafterme
Bench Warmer
And1: 280

Post#32 » by kplooksafterme » Tue May 19, 2015 5:20 pm

I can't believe the board actually thinks shuffling assistant coaches is going to make a meaningful difference, but this is MLSE we're talking about. They've been making terrible decisions forever.
WeTheNorth77
Sixth Man
And1: 2,865

Post#33 » by WeTheNorth77 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Had a feeling that was the case. **** MLSE
BrunoSkull you the real MVP
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM

Post#34 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue May 19, 2015 5:23 pm

LLJ wrote:No such thing as true autonomy at MLSE. I've been saying this for years.

But in that case, there never is as long as you can be fired. There's autonomy and there's untouchable. Masai has autonomy in that he's able to make decisions. That's autonomy. What the limits are, I'm not sure, I believe to go above the tax or to deviate from the budget or to fire a coach, he may need the boards approval, everything else is up to him. Now, does that mean he can do whatever without fear of how MLSE may react, no. and no one is ever going to get that. If Pop pissed of Peter Holt enough, that Holt loses confidence, he'll fire him too. Dolan can fire Phil Jackson tomorrow. Autonomy is not untouchable. So if Masai "had to tell the board he was going to fire someone because that's what they want" that doesn't mean it wasn't his decision, it's just a guess as the thought behind why he made it.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM

Post#35 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue May 19, 2015 5:25 pm

WeTheNorth77 wrote:Had a feeling that was the case. **** MLSE

you are misreading, imo. If you listen, it says nothing at all about Masai wanting to Fire Casey and not being allowed to. At all. It's just speculation about the motivation behind this move.
WeTheNorth77
Sixth Man
And1: 2,865

Post#36 » by WeTheNorth77 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:28 pm

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:

you are misreading, imo. If you listen, it says nothing at all about Masai wanting to Fire Casey and not being allowed to. At all. It's just speculation about the motivation behind this move.

I just read the title without actually reading it lol. I read the article just now and your right. What's up with the misleading titles? I should really read it before commenting next time though.
BrunoSkull you the real MVP
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Post#37 » by Tacoma » Tue May 19, 2015 5:31 pm

Troubadour wrote:
Tacoma wrote:

How have you made the leap that MLSE does not trust Ujiri? Seriously?

The interview simply said that the board demanded action and was not satisfied unless someone got fired. Ujiri's preference would have been to let the dust settle, but he appeased the board and fired two assistants.

That's what happened. Your soap opera is all in your head.

The only person making the leap is you about what I said. The OP poster posted "Masai couldn't fire Casey," "His hands were tied," "Problem for the Raptors and Masai is that people are tired of this repeated failures." My point is I don't believe Feschuk that MLSE was tying this hands and if "people are tired of his repeated failures" maybe it's a trust issue with Masai. No conclusion is made.

And talk about soap opera in your head, your claim that MLSE "demanded action and was not satisfied unless someone got fired" is a classic.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM

Post#38 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Tue May 19, 2015 5:31 pm

WeTheNorth77 wrote:

I just read the title without actually reading it lol. I read the article just now and your right. What's up with the misleading titles? I should really read it before commenting next time though.

There was no article to read, and other than the hear for yourself, there's really nothing to the the interview. I share your sentiment on the thread titles.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#39 » by LLJ » Tue May 19, 2015 5:33 pm

LLJ wrote:No such thing as true autonomy at MLSE. I've been saying this for years.

But in that case, there never is as long as you can be fired. There's autonomy and there's untouchable. Masai has autonomy in that he's able to make decisions. That's autonomy. What the limits are, I'm not sure, I believe to go above the tax or to deviate from the budget or to fire a coach, he may need the boards approval, everything else is up to him. Now, does that mean he can do whatever without fear of how MLSE may react, no. and no one is ever going to get that. If Pop pissed of Peter Holt enough, that Holt loses confidence, he'll fire him too. Dolan can fire Phil Jackson tomorrow. Autonomy is not untouchable. So if Masai "had to tell the board he was going to fire someone because that's what they want" that doesn't mean it wasn't his decision, it's just a guess as the thought behind why he made it.

You can make decisions, but if you have to go to the board to get every move approved, that's not autonomy. Every trade or signing we've done must be approved by the MLSE board first. In other teams, all you need to do, at most, is consult the owner for financial purposes. The board has to review the marketing implications of every move the GM makes. That's not autonomy. Moreover, this is why the Raps have always seemed half a step slower than most teams at pouncing on opportunities with a limited window.

We can keep giving MLSE the benefit of the doubt all we want, but when all 3 of the teams they own repeatedly make the same mistakes over and over no matter who is at the GM helm, it's time to stop giving MLSE the benefit of the doubt whenever things don't go the way we want from the managerial standpoint.
StevieWonderMic
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#40 » by StevieWonderMic » Tue May 19, 2015 5:33 pm

Then again who says feschuk knows what he's talking about.

Masai can stilł gtfo tho. As should Casey, they wasted JV.

Return to Toronto Raptors