ImageImageImageImageImage

OrganicGrowth: The Blueprint

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

OrganicGrowth
Ballboy
And1: 44

OrganicGrowth: The Blueprint 

Post#1 » by OrganicGrowth » Wed May 20, 2015 3:31 pm

After evaluating the entertaining Toronto Raptors, Jonas is really the only reason for having some kind of short-term optimism...
Jonas scored in the post more efficiently and consistently than any other real post option in the league this season. Coming in to the league, Valanciunas' combination of size, skill and motor gave him a high amount of intrigue...He’s a hard working kid who should continue to improve ... Shows solid vision and court sense, getting rid of the ball and finding teammates when doubled (he showed glimpses of this before making it to the league)…

Throughout the season he continuously got over looked on the offensive end and heavy criticized on the defensive end, even though
"He had the team's best OWS, DWS, WS/48, PER, ORB%, DRB%, TS%, and second best BLK%." The team clearly should be his for the near future....

The fact is the future holds unpredictability...

The 3+D known as Terrence Ross' has been wrongly evaluated. His ability to shoot the ball at a good clip holds him valuable in terms of helping Valanciunas manning the helm. He isn't a young prospect so his overall value in terms of starting in the distant future seems unlikely can should become a very serviceable 6-man. He’s a Raptors draft pick and should be part of the immediate future but should be played exclusively at the 2 ...

The draft pick of DeAndre Daniels seems like the Raps are molding their 3 from the outside,
"He is a long and fast small forward with a good outside stroke … Has a 7'+ wingspan, adding to his potential as a defender and rebounder … The real notion of a 3+D and should also be beneficial to Valanciunas.

This year’s pick seems to be the last core piece for the Jonas Valanciunas Era...
Jonas needs a 4 beside him that is long, athletic prospect with great leaping abilities who gets his share of blocks and steals ... Above-the-rim athlete who uses his tremendous vertical and explosiveness to get numerous "garbage" buckets off of put-backs and easy dunks... Montrezl Harrell with his huge wingspan (7'4") helps make him a very disruptive defensive presence beside Jonas.

Everyone knows that Bruno Cabolco is a hit-or-miss pick. Being a “prospect with rare physical gifts possessing a 7-foot-7 wingspan... He oozes upside with his impressive wingspan, broad shoulders, big hands and long legs” he can become anything from a Starter to a Role player… Good worth for a future which holds unpredictability…

This is the truth behind the truth... With a little perspective and patience the draft-core can round out with "Canadians’ exclusively becoming Raptors’ Free Agency targets down the line. Signing the best available Canadians rather than drafting them makes it easier to keep the Raptors talent pool diverse. A Point Guard like Cory Joseph a Shooting Guard like Andrew Wiggins and even a Power Forward like Tristan Thompson and a Centre like Kelly Olynk can be better off gaining experience with different coaches/schemes and bringing that into the Raptors’ culture via offseason signings... That is what the raptors keep in mind and so should their audience...

#OrganicGrowth
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,506

Re: OrganicGrowth: The Blueprint 

Post#2 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 20, 2015 3:37 pm

A stealth rebuild is possible if Masai is willing to deal DD/Lowry this offseason. DD's and Lowry's value will never be higher than it is now. Value will only decline given Lowry's age/injury history and DD's contract nearing an end. Lowry struggled in the 2nd half, but he was still an all-star. DD is on an affordable deal and many teams would find him attractive, especially given the lack of depth at SG. If Masai can get some good picks/young players back for them, the Raps could be in a very good position going forward with Val, lots of picks in 15 and 16, and whatever young players they get back in the deals.

Given the state of the east and depending on who they get back, they could still compete for a playoff spot this upcoming season.
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#3 » by Arman_tanzarian » Wed May 20, 2015 4:04 pm

I love JV but you don't build a team around him. He's a solid C, maybe future all star but that's a guy you build with not around. DMC, AD... those are bigs you build around.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#4 » by Patman » Wed May 20, 2015 4:10 pm

Someone needs to photoshop Masai into this pic

OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#5 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 20, 2015 4:45 pm

Arman_tanzarian wrote:I love JV but you don't build a team around him. He's a solid C, maybe future all star but that's a guy you build with not around. DMC, AD... those are bigs you build around.

But how many players are there in the NBA that you can really build a team around? There's maybe 5 or 6 franchise guys in the whole league imo. I'm not talking about all-stars, I'm taking about players who can basically on their own transform a (below) average team to a contender.

If you don't have one of those 5 or 6 guys, you need to either get lucky and draft one, or build a team of very good players.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#6 » by Indeed » Wed May 20, 2015 5:41 pm

OrganicGrowth wrote:Jonas needs a 4 beside him that is long, athletic prospect with great leaping abilities who gets his share of blocks and steals ... Above-the-rim athlete who uses his tremendous vertical and explosiveness to get numerous "garbage" buckets off of put-backs and easy dunks... Montrezl Harrell with his huge wingspan (7'4") helps make him a very disruptive defensive presence beside Jonas.

Pretty much disagree.
If Jonas cannot block shot, what is he supposed to be? Jonas needs a stretch big besides him, and he should be the one to count on defensively, not someone else, not like Bosh.
RealRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 893

Post#7 » by RealRapsFan » Wed May 20, 2015 8:43 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Arman_tanzarian wrote:I love JV but you don't build a team around him. He's a solid C, maybe future all star but that's a guy you build with not around. DMC, AD... those are bigs you build around.

But how many players are there in the NBA that you can really build a team around? There's maybe 5 or 6 franchise guys in the whole league imo. I'm not talking about all-stars, I'm taking about players who can basically on their own transform a (below) average team to a contender.

If you don't have one of those 5 or 6 guys, you need to either get lucky and draft one, or build a team of very good players.

Maybe there are 5 or 6 player in the league who can transform teams... but is Val even in the conversation of whatever tier comes below that? Guys like (say) Paul George, Griffin or Aldridge?

I mean Val isn't even in any legitimate discussion about being an 'allstar' yet....(its alway potenially/maybe in the 'future')

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean that the team can't build with him. I think he'll be a good enough all around player that he'll work with nearly anyone (well except perhaps another starting C... but thats details for later). But to actively go about trying to build around him... making decisions on draft picks, player adds to 'fit' with Jonas (now or in the future), changing the system for him etc... he's no where near that calibre player to have that discussion I don't think.
Optimism Bias is the tendency of individuals to underestimate the likelihood they will experience adverse events. Optimistic bias cannot be reduced, and by trying to reduce the optimistic bias the end result was generally even more optimistically biased
OakleyDokely
RealGM

Post#8 » by OakleyDokely » Wed May 20, 2015 8:52 pm

RealRapsFan wrote:
OakleyDokely wrote:

Maybe there are 5 or 6 player in the league who can transform teams... but is Val even in the conversation of whatever tier comes below that? Guys like (say) Paul George, Griffin or Aldridge?

I mean Val isn't even in any legitimate discussion about being an 'allstar' yet....(its alway potenially/maybe in the 'future')

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean that the team can't build with him. I think he'll be a good enough all around player that he'll work with nearly anyone (well except perhaps another starting C... but thats details for later). But to actively go about trying to build around him... making decisions on draft picks, player adds to 'fit' with Jonas (now or in the future), changing the system for him etc... he's no where near that calibre player to have that discussion I don't think.

I think he can be a "core" player. A guy who is one of your top 3 players. A potential all-star threat at C for the next decade.

Will he be Hakeem or Shaq? No. But he can be a key cog in a successful team. They need to add better talent around him.
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect
And1: 397

Post#9 » by basketballbeans » Wed May 20, 2015 11:27 pm

Patman wrote:Someone needs to photoshop Masai into this pic

Here's my attempt

orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,276

Post#10 » by orbesnet » Wed May 20, 2015 11:40 pm

not the worst assessment, I mean... at least you're not banking on us getting Durant.

I actually think JV is the type of player you can build around, he's not a flashy superstar-type but he can be a really solid big that's quintessential to our future. I'm confident if he gets steady minutes and learns to trust himself we'll see less of these foolish mistakes that get him yanked. I guess we'll need a new coach though. :D

It definitely feels like we peaked with this squad, unless MU makes a giant splash this off season I think the current Raptors are done. Fire sale for the future I say.
Pascal to the future.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#11 » by JYD » Wed May 20, 2015 11:44 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:A stealth rebuild is possible if Masai is willing to deal DD/Lowry this offseason. DD's and Lowry's value will never be higher than it is now. Value will only decline given Lowry's age/injury history and DD's contract nearing an end. Lowry struggled in the 2nd half, but he was still an all-star. DD is on an affordable deal and many teams would find him attractive, especially given the lack of depth at SG. If Masai can get some good picks/young players back for them, the Raps could be in a very good position going forward with Val, lots of picks in 15 and 16, and whatever young players they get back in the deals.

Given the state of the east and depending on who they get back, they could still compete for a playoff spot this upcoming season.

Yep. For me it seems like the only logical/sane thing to do. We've a limited core, but guys with trade value, and nobody to grow with JV. And MU is a guy who likes the draft and seems to be strong in evaluating prospects, he hasn't really put his mark on the team yet either.

And then you look at the alternatives, which don't seem great, and MU's original evaluation of this core, his lack of deadline moves, and his comments about the playoffs dictating direction (but keeping DC)..everything points to this being the plan.

Please god let there be a plan.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#12 » by cammac » Wed May 20, 2015 11:48 pm

Think a stealth rebuild is a option recycling players like DeMar & Lowry for draft picks or prospects are options that need to be considered with out picking up unwanted contracts.

I think our best option of picking up a RFA is Tristan Thompson and yes I am aware he will never be a all star but will be a solid productive starter and will mesh well with Jonas. We are entering a new era in the NBA where salaries this off season will look excessive but will be the norm in the future.

Return to Toronto Raptors