ImageImageImageImageImage

Semi-OT: Something up with Trey Lyles/Utah?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Semi-OT: Something up with Trey Lyles/Utah? 

Post#21 » by KqWIN » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:49 am

RealityIsDemar wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I'm the Jazz fan who started this theory. I've been watching this story and something is very fishy about the situation. Rookie contracts are very straight forward so I can't possibly see what the holdup is there. The reasons for the delay that haven been given by the organization are very weak and it doesn't explain why everyone else but Trey is playing and practicing.

If Rich Paul and/or Trey Lyles want out, Toronto stands out at the most likely destination. It just makes too much sense. The only problem is that Toronto doesn't have the right players or assets to trade for Utah. Ross would be redundant and the Jazz aren't looking for extra late round first picks. I'd imagine the conversation would start with the NY pick.

NY pick is more valuable then Lyles alone let alone "stating with".

I'd give you our first next year and one of Ross/JJ or Patterson (would need a future 2nd or some smallish asset coming back for Patterson)

I didn't mean that Toronto would have to add more to that, I meant that's what Utah would probably as a starting point. Toronto would counter with a lower asking price. If I'm playing GM for the Jazz that's really the only thing that interests me. Like I said before, there just isn't much interest in Ross or late first round draft picks. Those interest other teams, but Utah is currently stockpiled on those types of assets.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#22 » by mojo13 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:57 am

Trey is quasi Canadian. Born in Saskatoon but raised in Indianapolis. If he has an affinity to any place or team it is Indiana and the Pacers. I see him with no special interest in Toronto.this seems like idle speculation.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#23 » by Volcano » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:16 am

Too bad Utah has Burks locked up and drafted Hood last year. They're looking for a PG right? We got Ridnour available...
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,436

Post#24 » by Rapsfan07 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 5:38 am

Unless we're talking about Favors, that NY/DEN pick isn't going anywhere.
rapsrapsraps
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#25 » by rapsrapsraps » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:10 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Apparently Trey Lyles isn't practicing for the Jazz and it appears he's not going to play in Utah summer league starting tomorrow. Utah is claiming it's because there's contract complications, but almost every rookie hasn't signed yet (Wright is one of the few who has) and it hasn't stopped them from practicing and playing, so the situation is fishy. It's possible Rich Paul or Lyles are upset at the contract talks and holding out, but it could be something more as well such as a trade in the works or Lyles wanting out.

Some people on the T&T forum are speculating about Toronto as a possible destination as both Joseph and Lyles are Rich Paul clients. Patterson fits Utah's needs the most we but we need PPats as well. Utah trading this pick for NYK/DEN pick would be weird, it could be the 15th or 16th pick next year and they're a team looking to speed up the process not move back a year. Something Terrence Ross related may make the most sense

No need for T-Ross on their team, they have a developing Rodney Hood, Alex Burks, and All-star Gordon Hayward. Although I'd love Lyles on this team. Might need another way to work around it
rapsrapsraps
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#26 » by rapsrapsraps » Mon Jul 6, 2015 6:11 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:Unless we're talking about Favors, that NY/DEN pick isn't going anywhere.

I would do that trade in a heart beat. Don't know how good next years draft is but Favors is a beast
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#27 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 10:19 am

rapluva wrote:man... with COJO being available.. I wasn't too sure that Raps would be going after him (we got him). But this news.. who is Trey Lyles - Raps are building towards being contenders - no where close to grooming young talent - so why would this kid end up with the Raptors just because the agent wants him here - that makes no sense..

Wright 23, Biyombo 22, Powell 22, Jonas 23, Joseph 23...

We are accumulating young talent at an increasing rate. DeMarre Carroll is starting to look like the "veteran presence" added to teach younger players what it takes as much as what he brings on the floor.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#28 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 10:25 am

mojo13 wrote:Trey is quasi Canadian. Born in Saskatoon but raised in Indianapolis. If he has an affinity to any place or team it is Indiana and the Pacers. I see him with no special interest in Toronto.this seems like idle speculation.

Well Raps did try and acquire another pick to take Looney. I could see them trying to add another young player at a position of need. Doesn't mean this specualtion is true but with the agent connection...
Kenyon009
Banned User
And1: 1,869

Semi-OT: Something up with Trey Lyles/Utah? 

Post#29 » by Kenyon009 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 11:09 am

Lyles for Ross be a steal. It would make our whole bench pretty much be prospects. That's a great look.

Val/BB
PP/Lyles
Carroll/Daniels
Derozan/Wright
Lowry/cojo
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#30 » by TheFutureMM » Mon Jul 6, 2015 1:42 pm

Okay just thought about this... Who says no?

Toronto In - Trey Lyles , Utah 2016 First Round Pick (Top 8 Protected)

Utah In - Kyle Lowry

Why Utah says yes...

- Their weakest position is PG. Kyle was an All-Star last year.
- His once "high" contract now looks like peanuts (12M for the next two years).
- This gives Utah the opportunity to make the playoffs this season, allows Dante Exum to have 2 more years to grow into his starter role, and get accustomed to the NBA. If they feel Dante is ready to go in two years they could just opt to not sign Lowry.

Why Utah says no...

- They feel Dante Exum is ready to start this season.
- Utah believes Trey is the perfect third big behind Favors/Gobert.
- Don't believe Kyle is a good fit.

Why Toronto says yes...

- Just signed Joseph and believe him/Wright can man the position for the future.
- Toronto gets younger, picks up a pick, and gets what they believe their PF of the future.
- Kyle's prime doesn't completely align with Demar/Jonas/Joseph.
- Toronto is timing their team for a couple years down the road.
- Toronto avoids having to pay 3 PGs in the future.

Why Toronto says no...

- Kyle is part of the "core"
- Kyle is on a great contract at the moment - underpaid even.
- Toronto wants to make noise today as opposed to a couple years from now.

What do you guys think? Thought about this in the shower lol. In my opinion Toronto says no but I would love everyone's input. A pretty big gamble on someone who didn't even go top 10.
Sticks
Rookie
And1: 1,150

Post#31 » by Sticks » Mon Jul 6, 2015 2:56 pm

TheFutureMM wrote:Okay just thought about this... Who says no?

Toronto In - Trey Lyles , Utah 2016 First Round Pick (Top 8 Protected)

Utah In - Kyle Lowry

Why Utah says yes...

- Their weakest position is PG. Kyle was an All-Star last year.
- His once "high" contract now looks like peanuts (12M for the next two years).
- This gives Utah the opportunity to make the playoffs this season, allows Dante Exum to have 2 more years to grow into his starter role, and get accustomed to the NBA. If they feel Dante is ready to go in two years they could just opt to not sign Lowry.

Why Utah says no...

- They feel Dante Exum is ready to start this season.
- Utah believes Trey is the perfect third big behind Favors/Gobert.
- Don't believe Kyle is a good fit.

Why Toronto says yes...

- Just signed Joseph and believe him/Wright can man the position for the future.
- Toronto gets younger, picks up a pick, and gets what they believe their PF of the future.
- Kyle's prime doesn't completely align with Demar/Jonas/Joseph.
- Toronto is timing their team for a couple years down the road.
- Toronto avoids having to pay 3 PGs in the future.

Why Toronto says no...

- Kyle is part of the "core"
- Kyle is on a great contract at the moment - underpaid even.
- Toronto wants to make noise today as opposed to a couple years from now.

What do you guys think? Thought about this in the shower lol. In my opinion Toronto says no but I would love everyone's input. A pretty big gamble on someone who didn't even go top 10.

I wouldn't do it as a raptors fan

We need 3 point shooting from the pg position and we need the stability that Lowry provides at that position. When Lowry is on he is a top 3 point guard in the east. We need that.

If masai Is looking to the future and is looking to trade Lowry and derozan... then I'm pretty sure Lowry can get us a better return.

From Utah it would have to be something like Lowry for exum and 1st (lottery protected) and trey Lyles
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Post#32 » by Yallbecrazy » Mon Jul 6, 2015 3:04 pm

Maybe Trey just wants to play in the PanAm games
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#33 » by deeps6x » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:46 pm

Raptorfan2012 wrote:Can Lyles be our starting PF though? Is that why Masai skipped on Portis? Stay tuned

No, not at all.

He was a reach by the Jazz at #12. His number were inflated by playing with WCS and Townes, and even then they weren't great. Age won't help his weaknesses. He does have passing skill, but what the Raptors would need from a backup PF is scoring, making a trade for Portis a better proposition. Plus trading for Portis might not cost your team a potential top 8 pick in next year's draft.

Better yet would be to trade for Jones, even if we have to throw in the clipper's lottery protected pick.

As for the proposed Utah trade, Toronto says "Hell No". Lyles and the ~18th pick for Lowry? Frack that.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Sherlock
General Manager
And1: 12,706

Post#34 » by Sherlock » Tue Jul 7, 2015 6:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/618472585098076160[/tweet]

Looks like this might be resolved. Per DA's tweet: "Sounds like first-rounder Trey Lyles and Jazz have ironed out or will iron out remaining contract issues soon."
Interviewer: Championship #2?
Ujiri: Hey...We're gonna get it. I don't know when it'll be, but we're gonna get it. Just like I said we'll get the first one and I said I didn't know when we'd get it...But we will. Guarantee you we will.

Return to Toronto Raptors