ImageImageImageImageImage

Why I think Ujiri deserves an "F" for this offseason

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Why I think Ujiri deserves an "F" for this offseason 

Post#1 » by djsunyc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:38 am

imho, playing hokey pokey is not what a successful gm should do...and that's what i feel ujiri has done.

if we are sold on casey and he's "THE" coach, then lowry and jonas should be moved asap before their value drops. lowry and casey do not see eye to eye. casey does not like playing jonas during important stretches and all his recent comments say that will continue next season. if that's the casey, then lowry + jonas' value can only GO DOWN as next season goes on.

if you are sold on the coach, then you need to make the necessary roster changes for him to succeed.

if you are sold on the players, then keeping a coach that won't maximize each player's contribution is a waste of time.

ujiri has said casey is his guy, but also said he likes players that casey clearly has no intention of using during important parts of next season.

you put your left foot in, you put your left foot out...

ujiri is playing a game of hokey pokey and imho, will never result in true success for the postseason. and he is backing himself into a corner concerning demar.

full disclosure - i am 100% ok with being a regular season team that wins 47-50 games and may get bounced in the first round. i watch bball from nov- april, that's more months than watching from apr-jun so being a good regular season team is a-ok with me. so this thread goes against what i am fine with as a fan, but it's more what i see from our gm and why i think he's not doing a good a job as possible.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Re: Why I think Ujiri deserves an "F" for this offseason 

Post#2 » by dalton749 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:41 am

if u dont think hes doing a good job you are blind, and oblivious to the past 20 years of raptors basketball
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#3 » by djsunyc » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:44 am

dalton749 wrote:if u dont think hes doing a good job you are blind, and oblivious to the past 20 years of raptors basketball

he is definitely doing a good job compared to his predecessors. but imho, he hasn't done a good job this offseason regarding the clear direction he wants to go with the franchise.
gamer1035
Banned User
And1: 5,146

Post#4 » by gamer1035 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:06 am

dalton749 wrote:if u dont think hes doing a good job you are blind, and oblivious to the past 20 years of raptors basketball

you clearly missed the BC era. This type of patchwork is exactly what BC did. The core is the problem and it was not addressed. The coach is also a moron and should have been fired.

All the blind Raptors fanboys always resort to insulting anyone who disagrees with anything this organization does.
AussieRaptor
Junior
And1: 460

Post#5 » by AussieRaptor » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:40 am

gamer1035 wrote:you clearly missed the BC era. This type of patchwork is exactly what BC did. The core is the problem and it was not addressed. The coach is also a moron and should have been fired.

All the blind Raptors fanboys always resort to insulting anyone who disagrees with anything this organization does.

So Lou and Greivis weren't problems? What about the SF position? What about finding a legit backup C who can rebound and protect the rim? What about addressing the culture by adding team first, high IQ players, who are unselfish and pride themselves on playing defense first and making the extra pass on offense? What about adding a D-League team to develop the young players we have such as 2nd round steal Norman Powell? What about adding an additional future 1st rounder to go with the DEN/NYK pick?

This thread deserves an "F".
WhatsaTDot
RealGM
And1: 6,330

Post#6 » by WhatsaTDot » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:48 am

gamer1035 wrote:

you clearly missed the BC era. This type of patchwork is exactly what BC did. The core is the problem and it was not addressed. The coach is also a moron and should have been fired.

Ironing is strong up in here.

This place is insufferable.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#7 » by dballislife » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:54 am

roster remake A

still having casey as HC is a F

still averages out to a pass
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
AussieRaptor
Junior

Post#8 » by AussieRaptor » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:58 am

WhatsaTDot wrote:Ironing is strong up in here.

aaronf
Sophomore
And1: 60

Post#9 » by aaronf » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:06 am

AussieRaptor wrote:
gamer1035 wrote:you clearly missed the BC era. This type of patchwork is exactly what BC did. The core is the problem and it was not addressed. The coach is also a moron and should have been fired.

So Lou and Greivis weren't problems? What about the SF position? What about finding a legit backup C who can rebound and protect the rim? What about addressing the culture by adding team first, high IQ players, who are unselfish and pride themselves on playing defense first and making the extra pass on offense? What about adding a D-League team to develop the young players we have such as 2nd round steal Norman Powell? What about adding an additional future 1st rounder to go with the DEN/NYK pick?

This thread deserves an "F".

Agree 100%
He expected masai to change the whole raptor team for the whole of the warriors team, plus they should include their 1st in 2016 and 2018.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,145

Post#10 » by Risk101 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:22 am

List of head coaches the Raptors have had.

1 Brendan Malone 1995–96
2 Darrell Walker 1996–98
3 Butch Carter* 1998–2000
4 Lenny Wilkens 2000–03
5 Kevin O'Neill* 2003–04
6 Sam Mitchell* 2004–08 (2006–07 Coach of the Year)
7 Jay Triano* 2008–11
8 Dwane Casey 2011–present
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toronto_Raptors_head_coaches

Just wanted to put this up.
G.A. Clone
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,062

Post#11 » by G.A. Clone » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:32 am

Masai believes in his players and retaining Casey wasn't his decision. If you want a Sacramento situation, go follow the Kings, but Masai won't publicly come out and say Casey's not his guy. Masai backing Casey is clearly a PR move.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#12 » by Kabookalu » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:39 am

gamer1035 wrote:

Because not getting pennies on the dollar for our core assets is patchwork.

After the absolute robberies Masai had dealing Bargnani, Gay, and Vasquez, I'd think he'd have earned way more benefit of the doubt from his fanbase. It'd be upsetting if he gave away assets just to make it seem like he's making moves so he can appease a few people that care more about seeing a different product than they are of improving it.

For some people Masai's entire "plan and vision" for the team revolves around whether or not he trades away DeRozan, Lowry, and/or Valanciunas regardless of what other moves he makes.

That's not at all to say that I'm drinking the kool-aid. I don't think we have a contender on our team, and I don't think we have the potential to reach that level. Though my solution towards that isn't to blow it all up either. We have to make moves that will put us in a position to acquire a superstar, and tanking isn't the only way towards that path if Houston is any example. I don't know if Masai will ever get Toronto a superstar, but it's far too early to determine whether or not he'll be successful building towards that.
Read on Twitter
Double Bubble
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#13 » by Double Bubble » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:07 am

OP tell me you saw this one coming :lol:

I think you need to relax, he's added great pieces, and he's working within his means. You say we have one foot in and one out but that analogy doesn't describe our situation. The roster is not a contender, we don't have a foot in the door of anything. There's not much point in a coaching change at this juncture.

However if Casey's contract is renewed this board would have an absolute meltdown, and rightfully so. But at this stage ownership would rather count money than let Masai find his man. He will have that prerogative when Casey's contract FINALLY expires. And who knows maybe he's canned a week into training camp, stranger things have happened.
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Re: Re: Why I think Ujiri deserves an "F" for this offseason 

Post#14 » by load management » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:22 am

dballislife wrote:roster remake A

I don't see an A.... We had Portis fall to us and a major gap at PF, yet we drafted a PG that is redundant with our soon to follow FA signing of Joseph.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#15 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:38 am

Double Bubble wrote:OP tell me you saw this one coming :lol:

I think you need to relax, he's added great pieces, and he's working within his means. You say we have one foot in and one out but that analogy doesn't describe our situation. The roster is not a contender, we don't have a foot in the door of anything. There's not much point in a coaching change at this juncture.

However if Casey's contract is renewed this board would have an absolute meltdown, and rightfully so. But at this stage ownership would rather count money than let Masai find his man. He will have that prerogative when Casey's contract FINALLY expires. And who knows maybe he's canned a week into training camp, stranger things have happened.

Arent you pretty much proving his point? I mean we added players to suit Casey, and you are hanging your hopes on Casey not being brought back. Whats then f'n point then. There's a lot of people, with no proof at all, sure Masai wants to fire Casey and the board won't let him, only because its what they need to tell themselves. In year 4 were still the same core and coach from from when he arrived? Why? For all the talk about championships were pretty hooked on first round at all cost.

I think what DJ is saying is we fixed the wrong things. Our issue is the core isnt good enough, and all we did was replace exprinng deals of the players around it with new players. We have many new peices, but how many of them can actually see the court? We only have one new starting player. Im not sure you chage the culture of your team, with the second unit. If the starters dont change their style, you wont get the DMC that excelled in Atl. Imo, i like the focus and some of the moves, but we only got better at sf, we got worse at pf and it remains to be seen how we do trading GV and Lou for Joesph and Wright, if Wright even gets a role with the club if hes not sent down to watch Bruno chuck in the 905 last year.
C3SIUM
Starter
And1: 693

Post#16 » by C3SIUM » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:43 am

Class Act wrote:

I don't see an A.... We had Portis fall to us and a major gap at PF, yet we drafted a PG that is redundant with our soon to follow FA signing of Joseph.

for the 10,202nd time no one knew we were getting CoJo at the draft. Masai as good as he is can not see the future... at least I am pretty sure he can't
Jermaine OBosh
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,046

Post#17 » by Jermaine OBosh » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:53 am

Risk101 wrote:List of head coaches the Raptors have had.

1 Brendan Malone 1995–96 82 21 61 .256
2 Darrell Walker 1996–98 131 41 90 .313
3 Butch Carter* 1998–2000 165 73 92 .442
4 Lenny Wilkens 2000–03 246 113 133 .459
5 Kevin O'Neill* 2003–04 82 33 49 .402
6 Sam Mitchell* 2004–08 345 156 189 .452
7 Jay Triano* 2008–11 229 87 142 .380
8 Dwane Casey 2011–present 312 154 158 .488
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toronto_Raptors_head_coaches

Just wanted to put this up.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#18 » by Kabookalu » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:53 am

Class Act wrote:

Maybe he didn't see Portis as BPA. Watching him in summer league he has a slow ass release and struggles mightily with length. His defense is nothing to rave about either.

Read on Twitter
AussieRaptor
Junior

Post#19 » by AussieRaptor » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:25 pm

Class Act wrote:I don't see an A.... We had Portis fall to us and a major gap at PF, yet we drafted a PG that is redundant with our soon to follow FA signing of Joseph.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

At the time, there was a major gap at both backup guard spots too, with the Vasquez trade (which garnered tremendous value) and Williams being an unwanted FA (which should be addition by subtraction). I can't fault any of those moves which may have steered them towards selecting Wright, who has combo guard size and was arguably the most disruptive perimeter defender in the entire draft, something this team sorely lacked last season.

Those gaps were just as major at the time. Sure, you can point to the Joseph signing, but how were they to predict that? He was a RFA with the Spurs. If not for Spurs landing Aldridge, he probably doesn't become available and Wright is our sole backup combo guard. Would have not signing Joseph somehow made this better? That way we would not only be questionable at PF, but at backup PG too. I'm not seeing how two weaknesses is better than one though.

If they wanted to address the PF position, they could have targeted any number of players this offseason. Not doing so and having a perceived gap at PF doesn't make passing on the obviously higher rated player on their board in Wright palatable.
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#20 » by load management » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:32 pm

Choker wrote:
Class Act wrote:

Maybe he didn't see Portis as BPA. Watching him in summer league he has a slow ass release and struggles mightily with length. His defense is nothing to rave about either.

I guess Chicago did then because they picked him right after us, despite having a glut of PF's.

PF was our weakest position, not PG. We could have easily found a back up just as effective as Wright.

Hindsight is less than a month ago.

As per Rotoworld: "Bobby Portis was tremendous in a loss to the Suns on Saturday, scoring 25 points with 15 rebounds, one steal and two blocks in 35 minutes.
He was great on both ends, especially becoming a complete weapon on offense. Portis has been able to hold his own against bigger guys on the low block on defense and his only glaring hole so far has been a lack of production on the offensive glass. The rookie from Arkansas has the potential to do it all on the stat sheet, but he's buried on the depth chart."

and

"Bulls' GM Gar Forman said that the Bulls are very excited to have landed Bobby Portis with the No. 22 overall selection in the 2015 NBA draft.
"We were going to take the best player available," said Forman. "When Bobby was on the board at 22 there was no discussion; he was the guy we were going to take... Really excited to get Bobby. I think he’s going to be a fit with our team."
**** the Tony Brothers

Return to Toronto Raptors