ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Canada Women's Ball team takes Gold

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Re: OT: Canada Women's Ball team takes Gold 

Post#21 » by LLJ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Flight33 wrote:A gold medal game involving our country wasn't televised. Canadian sports coverage is a joke. #Fhockey

They did run it at 11:30pm in the "Game in an Hour" format. I've been watching the women's team mostly this way. I normally wouldn't care about women's bball, but this women's team really did play a very appealing brand of basketball. They liked to run a lot, and I was surprised how good the passing was up and down the roster. Normally women's games are awful scores like 72-38, but this team was often running their scores into the 90s and 100s. I think they had the highest scoring quarter of all the teams in the tourney at 33 points? There were these 22-5 type scoring runs where the ball would touch all 5 players on the court every trip down the floor that was really great to see from a bball purist's standpoint. None of this plodding fat girls posting up **** like I see way too often in women's ball.

I'm happy for the Cdn women's basketball program, they clearly had a vision for what kind of teams they wanted to have out there and have come a long way.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#22 » by Troubadour » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:22 pm

LLJ wrote:
Flight33 wrote:A gold medal game involving our country wasn't televised. Canadian sports coverage is a joke. #Fhockey

They did run it at 11:30pm in the "Game in an Hour" format. I've been watching the women's team mostly this way. I normally wouldn't care about women's bball, but this women's team really did play a very appealing brand of basketball. They liked to run a lot, and I was surprised how good the passing was up and down the roster. Normally women's games are awful scores like 72-38, but this team was often running their scores into the 90s and 100s. I think they had the highest scoring quarter of all the team in the tourney at 33 points? There were runs where the ball would touch all 5 players on the court every trip down the floor that was really great to see from a bball purist's standpoint. None of these plodding fat girls posting up ****.

I'm happy for the Cdn women's basketball program, they clearly had a vision for what kind of teams they wanted to have out there and have come a long way.

The vision for Canadian Basketball has been executed flawlessly by the women's program. Every player can pass, cut, defend, rebound, and run in transition. Bigs routinely grabbed a rebound and started a fastbreak.

It's also kind of neat that they run the triangle on offense. Lots of opportunity to show off smart passing.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,512

Post#23 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:28 pm

Another team that would've swept Raps in playoffs.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#24 » by Undefeated » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:35 pm

FYI the women's program runs a Princeton offense which is why you see a lot of movement, cutting and passing. They've installed this system since the Cadet team so most players as they move up the age group are very familiar with the offense and they've built that continuity.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
TheFutureMM
Rookie
And1: 958

Post#25 » by TheFutureMM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:35 pm

This was a great tune-up tourney for them in preparation for the FIBA Americas. The women have a really great shot of winning it all considering most of the teams in Edmonton will be the same as the teams here.

Also, anyone notice Nurse is having a pretty solid year? NCAA Champion, Pan AMs Gold, and I'd be surprised if they didn't medal at FIBA.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Undefeated » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:50 pm

LLJ wrote:And USA's bigs had a considerable size advantage, they were slow and plodding compared to the smaller but quicker cdn bigs. Basically, Canada won with small ball. Don't show Casey!

Besides Breanna Stewart, the US don't really have a size advantage. In fact, Canada actually had the size advantage compare to the US with Ayim and Tatham starting, and Achonwa and the Plouffe twins coming off the bench. I think if Achonwa was healthy since she's still recovering from an ACL injury that she'd be starting and no way the US would be able to contain her.

arbsn wrote:very surprised that Canada won and happy about that especially beating the USA

I said this yesterday, but Canada winning gold shouldn't come as a surprise because USAB pretty much sent their B-level squad consisting of mostly NCAA players where as the SWNT sent their main team, and they've been training together since May playing in multiple exhibition games. USAB crafted their team 2-3 weeks before competition. I mean, it's a good accomplishment Canada won, but I was talking about this with my friend this morning that I think most people are making it bigger than it is. Until the SWNT can beat USAB's main team (EDD, Taurasi, Moore, Griner etc) I wouldn't be surprise about them beating USAB.

That said, I came away underwhelmed by Breanna Stewart's play given that she's the consensus #1 pick in next year's draft. Thought she would be a lot more dominant. I guess UConn's talent really hides some of their player's weaknesses.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#27 » by Inklink » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Which hockey game bumped coverage of the women's gold medal game? It was probably judo or diving or something.
For lease.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#28 » by LLJ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Inklink wrote:

Which hockey game bumped coverage of the women's gold medal game? It was probably judo or diving or something.

It didn't get bumped. Pan Am coverage at night is only from 8:00pm to 10:00pm, and afternoons at 2:00pm to 5:00pm. CBC isn't doing all-day live coverage, they basically do recaps only. The actual Women's game ran from 8:30pm to about 10:45pm (ish). So they were running The National or something at 10:00pm. They did this with the gold medal men's baseball game too. I'm not sure any event they've ran on TV has been actual live coverage. Certainly not for me it wasn't.

CBC really miscalculated the level of local interest in Pan Am this year. They figured it would be like any other Pan Am with mediocre interest so they only scheduled Pan Am coverage in recap blocks throughout the day. They should have figured that because it was in Toronto there would have more interest and covered it more like they do with Olympics. Of course, the next Pan Am won't have as much interest locally so watch them try to "remedy" that next time with more coverage to disappointing ratings.

It's laughable that the city that is hosting the games doesn't even have live TV coverage of the event.
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,592

Post#29 » by Son Goku 25 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:59 pm

Almost shed a tear lol
Read
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#30 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Congrats to them, now let's have them do this in the summer olympics as well.
Credits to Jstock12
LLJ
RealGM

Post#31 » by LLJ » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:08 pm

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:Congrats to them, now let's have them do this in the summer olympics as well.

As Undefeated mentioned, they likely won't win against USA's A team. But beating a B team is still a good accomplishment because Canada hasn't even been able to do that in the past. The goal for the Olympics would be *any* medal.
raptors2019
Analyst
And1: 5,872

Post#32 » by raptors2019 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:12 pm

TdotRap4Lyfe wrote:Congrats to them, now let's have them do this in the summer olympics as well.

First they need to qualify. FIBA Americas Olympic qualifying tournament in 19 days in Edmonton.
FTW
Bench Warmer
And1: 530

Post#33 » by FTW » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Actually pretty good games to watch. Like women's tennis, it's much closer to what the game can and should look like for non-professional athletes. Lots of smart cutting and passing, positional rebounding, and fundamental plays. It's somewhere between women's soccer (great) and women's hockey (not great) on the continuum of TV watch-ability. :)
YogiStewart wrote:no IKEA bed can take 7 years of sexytimes. don't think it could even take 7 years of handytimes.
curryking3
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,994

Post#34 » by curryking3 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:21 pm

raptoradical wrote:Women's basketball?

We talking women's basketball?!

Spoiler:
kidding looking to get it pvr-ed

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI[/youtube]

Spoiler:
Yes, AI we talking aboot Women's basketball 8-)
Crazy_NBA_Fan
Veteran
And1: 383

Post#35 » by Crazy_NBA_Fan » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Can someone tell me when Canada Men's Ball team is supposed to start playing? A schedule would be nice as well.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Undefeated » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Crazy_NBA_Fan wrote:Can someone tell me when Canada Men's Ball team is supposed to start playing? A schedule would be nice as well.

Starts today at 6.

http://results.toronto2015.org/IRS/en/basketball/schedule-and-results.htm
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Post#37 » by Kurtz » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:56 pm

LLJ wrote:
CBC really miscalculated the level of local interest in Pan Am this year. They figured it would be like any other Pan Am with mediocre interest so they only scheduled Pan Am coverage in recap blocks throughout the day. They should have figured that because it was in Toronto there would have more interest and covered it more like they do with Olympics. Of course, the next Pan Am won't have as much interest locally so watch them try to "remedy" that next time with more coverage to disappointing ratings.

It's laughable that the city that is hosting the games doesn't even have live TV coverage of the event.

Precisely why CBC should stay away from sports, and let the big sports networks handle it. Surely TSN/Sportsnet would have loved to fill some of their 20 channels with PanAm coverage.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#38 » by frumble » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:14 pm

Kurtz wrote:
LLJ wrote:

Precisely why CBC should stay away from sports, and let the big sports networks handle it. Surely TSN/Sportsnet would have loved to fill some of their 20 channels with PanAm coverage.

TSN still would have showed a CFL game on four of their feeds and That's Hockey on the fifth.

Seriously, does anyone know if the men's games are going to be on TV (CBC or Sportsnet)?
LLJ
RealGM

Post#39 » by LLJ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:47 pm

frumble wrote:
TSN still would have showed a CFL game on four of their feeds and That's Hockey on the fifth.

Seriously, does anyone know if the men's games are going to be on TV (CBC or Sportsnet)?

The best time to catch basketball on CBC would be on their 8:00pm to 10:00pm block or their 11:30pm-12:30pm block. Note that none of the games they've aired are live. They are often at best "Game in an Hour" edited broadcasts. The basketball game last night aired on the 8:00pm-10:00pm block in a half-hour edited version. The Gold Medal Women's game was aired on the 11:30pm-12:30pm block in a "Game in an Hour" format.
right between the eyes
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,513

Post#40 » by right between the eyes » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:02 pm

The final for Men's baseball between Canada and the US wasn't televised either and Canada won gold. These TV execs better realize that times are changing in this country and they need to adapt and broaden their coverage of sports. The fact that Canadians have had access to other sports in the last 15yrs through the internet and cable options has given exposure to other sports and we're starting to see it pay off. We've been a one note hockey counrty for so long. The sad part is, is regardless of how insignificant a hockey game is there will be live coverage. It could be a beer league in July of former washed up NHL players and there would be live coverage with 15 different hockey analysts on Sportsnet giving their opinions. This country is very frustrating. Get with the times Canada! Basketball is the fastest growing sport in Canada among the younger demographic.

Return to Toronto Raptors