ImageImageImageImageImage

Is The 2nd Unit Better Than Last Years?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Which Bench Unit Is Better?

This years?
61%
Last years?
39%

Total votes: 141

RealityIsDemar
Rookie
And1: 1,164

Re: Is The 2nd Unit Better Than Last Years? 

Post#41 » by RealityIsDemar » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:18 am

Defensively and Rebounding wise (our two biggest weaknesses) we're way better. Offensively not as good.
Shoutout to Bruno Skull for the sig
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#42 » by VC-INJURY » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:46 am

IMO Bismack should start at PF & 2Pat & Scola should come off the bench behind him.

PF's only need to be blocking & rebounding machines, which is what Bizzy provides.
kieferli
Analyst
And1: 4,080

Post#43 » by kieferli » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:44 pm

wicked_crossova wrote:
kieferli wrote:This year team is build for play off, so we may not look too good in reg season . I don't expect us to ha e 50 + wins season . Like Washingtons last year they didn't looked good in reg season but much better in playoff . Regular season is mean nothing I will rather we have 43 wins but make a sea one round to ECF in play off

Regular season DOES matter because the seeding plays a huge factor in deciding if we make it to the second round.

Well look at the result last 2 years we have home course advantage too . I know is factor but for Raptors mean nothing :banghead:
Credit:Clutch0z24
Walid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,611

Post#44 » by Walid » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:00 pm

I value team chemistry a lot so it's hard to say. However, looking at the player personalities we brought in and what they've accomplished, their roles as teammates, and their potential impact, I think our team chemistry will be better and we should have more ball movement / better scoring opportunities. I think our expectations of DeMarre Carroll should be high due to need and his contract, but we can't blame him if he doesn't fit the system because that is something Casey and Masai should've discussed with him or figured out (no point talking about this point now though, we shall soon see). DD also likes playing with defensive minded players as it takes some weight off his shoulders and he seems to mesh well with them.

I think that team chemistry was a big issue last year because even during the wins early on you could tell this team was doomed to stumble over. I think this team benefited a lot with the aquisitions of GV and 2Pat, especially when they were one and two in 2013-2014. We will definitely miss GV (I don't know why there was a lot of hate for him, he was a great backup PG...but you know Raps fans expectations).

Kind of off-topic, since Amir was interchangeable with the bench and his departure affects our PF position, I think that it goes without saying that losing him is a big loss for us. His energy, his inside offensive game that came through when we needed it, rebounding and defensive toughness, off ball plays, I could go on and on. Only negative was him doing some dirty off ball fouls and getting caught, especially in some late game situations, but otherwise he has been, in my opinion, our MVP.

To answer the question, I think this years second unit will be better because we will rely more on teamwork and hopefully JJ gets more minutes.
Romaniano
Banned User
And1: 611

Post#45 » by Romaniano » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:11 pm

VC-INJURY wrote:IMO Bismack should start at PF & 2Pat & Scola should come off the bench behind him.

PF's only need to be blocking & rebounding machines, which is what Bizzy provides.

You need a competent coach to figure that out.

Also, Timmy is winking at you.
TripDoub
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#46 » by TripDoub » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Walid wrote:I value team chemistry a lot so it's hard to say. However, looking at the player personalities we brought in and what they've accomplished, their roles as teammates, and their potential impact, I think our team chemistry will be better and we should have more ball movement / better scoring opportunities. I think our expectations of DeMarre Carroll should be high due to need and his contract, but we can't blame him if he doesn't fit the system because that is something Casey and Masai should've discussed with him or figured out (no point talking about this point now though, we shall soon see). DD also likes playing with defensive minded players as it takes some weight off his shoulders and he seems to mesh well with them.

I think that team chemistry was a big issue last year because even during the wins early on you could tell this team was doomed to stumble over. I think this team benefited a lot with the aquisitions of GV and 2Pat, especially when they were one and two in 2013-2014. We will definitely miss GV (I don't know why there was a lot of hate for him, he was a great backup PG...but you know Raps fans expectations).

Kind of off-topic, since Amir was interchangeable with the bench and his departure affects our PF position, I think that it goes without saying that losing him is a big loss for us. His energy, his inside offensive game that came through when we needed it, rebounding and defensive toughness, off ball plays, I could go on and on. Only negative was him doing some dirty off ball fouls and getting caught, especially in some late game situations, but otherwise he has been, in my opinion, our MVP.

To answer the question, I think this years second unit will be better because we will rely more on teamwork and hopefully JJ gets more minutes.

+1..

My tough exactly... we may not have an instant streaky scorer like Lou anymore but consistency is key in my opinion. Sure the second unit may not light it up like last year.... but if they can prevent points it will be the same end result

After all. .. who cares if Lou leads the second unit to score 25 points in a quarter if they give up 25 points? End of the day, it'll be the same thing as this current second unit scoring 18 points, but they'll only give up 18 points.

Also, Cory Joseph is no scrub, he has potential to be a decent bench scorer and so does Ross. Scola is also very crafty with the ball... it'll be nice to have a point big in the line up off the bench. Him and Cojo should mesh well together which will open up slashing lanes for Johnson and shooting opportunities for Ross.

Lastly, it is not written in stone that you have to bring in the whole second unit at once.... nobody said we can't have a regular starter at all times with the second unit out there. .. so in that case, I just truly believe that overall this team will mesh better and compliments itself better.

Looking back at last year... where was the chemistry? The second unit was all Lou and Vasquez chucking up shots.. which rubbed on the whole team... and regardless if this yards second unit won't score as much... I'll still gladly welcome the change because ISO ball is not winning ball and it is not the type of basketball I want to see the Raptors develop. Team ball is what wins games and championships, so I am glad Masai assembled a team that has a lot of pieces which can make us a very successful team, as long as we play team ball and pass the damn ball more!! We need to go back to the style of play in 13-14... where we had a pretty decent offense overall. The same year where people forget that our bench consisted of Chuck Hayes - Patrick Patterson - John Salmons... yet we still scored the ball... why? We made thag extra pass!! Something the team got away from last year.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#47 » by mowcrowbar » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:14 pm

It is really close, but last year's had more individual talent. But I think this year's has more potential to be a solid second unit team.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#48 » by Patman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:17 pm

The thing I liked about this year's bench better than last year's is that they can integrate with the starting line-up more. Last year, Kyle, Lou, and DD were our most individually talented players, but it was a bad idea to play them together.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#49 » by Rapcity_11 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:23 pm

Romaniano wrote:
VC-INJURY wrote:IMO Bismack should start at PF & 2Pat & Scola should come off the bench behind him.

You need a competent coach to figure that out.

Also, Timmy is winking at you.

There is no coach in the history of the NBA that could make JV/BB work offensively.
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,357

Post#50 » by WiggOuts » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:17 pm

lets not forget Casey likes to play 8 maybe 9 guys, players will be given a ton of DNPs. Scola will obviously get his burn, as will Cojo, but I expect Ross, JJ, Biz and the rooks to get shafted a lot. I do like the fact that Ross will probably have a much shorter leash and deservedly so but there is a lot of competition for those remaining minutes
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#51 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:49 pm

To Echo the general sentiment;
Defensively much better, offensively worse.

Ultimately if we have a huge issue with scoring off the bench;
How complicated would it be to land a Marcus Thornton-esk bench scorer in January if we were really against the wall?

Adding bench guys who can score IMO is a bit easier than skilled bench guys who can defend.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#52 » by Rapcity_11 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 pm

WiggOuts wrote:lets not forget Casey likes to play 8 maybe 9 guys, players will be given a ton of DNPs. Scola will obviously get his burn, as will Cojo, but I expect Ross, JJ, Biz and the rooks to get shafted a lot. I do like the fact that Ross will probably have a much shorter leash and deservedly so but there is a lot of competition for those remaining minutes

Casey sure liked to play a full 5 man bench unit last year...which is playing 10 guys.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#53 » by C Court » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:45 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:To

Adding bench guys who can score IMO is a bit easier than skilled bench guys who can defend.

This .... plus having a bench with a strong commitment to defence makes this year's bench better.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#54 » by Patman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:57 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
WiggOuts wrote:lets not forget Casey likes to play 8 maybe 9 guys, players will be given a ton of DNPs. Scola will obviously get his burn, as will Cojo, but I expect Ross, JJ, Biz and the rooks to get shafted a lot. I do like the fact that Ross will probably have a much shorter leash and deservedly so but there is a lot of competition for those remaining minutes

Casey sure liked to play a full 5 man bench unit last year...which is playing 10 guys.

This. If Casey does that again, then we'll struggle to score. He needs to learn how to stagger bench guys so that at least one of Kyle or DD are on the floor almost all the time.
K1NG
General Manager
And1: 856

Post#55 » by K1NG » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 am

The team without Vasquez is better by default
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#56 » by Scott Hall » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:00 am

Some key things from me...

- Cory Joseph is the biggest x-factor for me I have no idea what to expect from him. Did he start to blossom this year?
Will he flourish in a bigger role? Will he be a good defender outside of the Spurs system? Is Delon Wright that much worse
than him?

- Somewhat surprised we appear to be keeping T-Ross for another season. With that said I know we desperately need
his 3 point shooting and I like him playing his natural position especially against other bench players as it's apparent
he can't cut it as a starter especially from a consistency stand point.

- Let's not forget Casey isn't a big fan of James Johnson and isn't afraid to bench him for many games. Also Norman
Powell is a legit and its gonna be hard for Casey to leave him on the bench. In that case expect Norman to play the
2 and Ross move back to the 3 and JJ either be benched or moved to the 4.

- I like Scola and he isn't much of a difference production wise then Patterson/Amir

- Biyombo over Tyler is nice little upgrade. Tyler is a borderline scrub with no upside. Biyombo might be
a little better in our system.
Ponchos
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,775

Post#57 » by Ponchos » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:26 am

57% of the fanbase is delusional and in for a surprise.
WiggOuts
Starter

Post#58 » by WiggOuts » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:

not really, he did at first but it seemed like JJ forced him to with stellar play. The year before he only played Pat, GV, and Salmons with Hayes and Hansbrough getting occasional spot minutes. He did this a lot in the second half of the season, lets not forget all the commotion created with JJ getting DNPs, that was so he could tighten up the lineup. Hes even said on numerous occasions he prefers to play less guys
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#59 » by Rapcity_11 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:59 pm

WiggOuts wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

not really, he did at first but it seemed like JJ forced him to with stellar play. The year before he only played Pat, GV, and Salmons with Hayes and Hansbrough getting occasional spot minutes. He did this a lot in the second half of the season, lets not forget all the commotion created with JJ getting DNPs, that was so he could tighten up the lineup. Hes even said on numerous occasions he prefers to play less guys

The 5 man bench unit played the 2nd most minutes of any Raptors lineup and most games.

It's ok to admit you're wrong.
WiggOuts
Starter

Post#60 » by WiggOuts » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
WiggOuts wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

The 5 man bench unit played the 2nd most minutes of any Raptors lineup and most games.

It's ok to admit you're wrong.

thats because they were the healthiest. Of course when 2 of your starters miss significant time (not to mention Amir playing limited minutes) it might look that way. Im basing this off of the year before, post Rudy Gay trade. Last season he was forced to split Salmons mins between JJ/Lou, with how inconsistent JJs mins were it was clear he didnt plan for that.

I bet you would look at OKC last season and say the same thing, "their backup 1/3 played more mins than their starters", easy to make that statement without a back story

Return to Toronto Raptors