ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Are Raptor fans loving David Price?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,138

Re: OT: Are Raptor fans loving David Price? 

Post#61 » by duppyy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:39 pm

DJ_RnC wrote:I have never followed the Jays nor do I really enjoy baseball, the occasional Jays game with friends is alright but that's more of a social outing than going there as a fan.

With that being said, even the most casual people such as myself are impressed with what the Jays have been doing since Price got here. When was the last time a Toronto team won 8 games in a row? Raptors have a franchise record of only 7 wins in a row (on multiple occasions) and it's been a while since the Leafs were any good.

They're 1.5 games behind the division lead. Before these trades, making the playoffs was far fetched, now the division lead is in sight. That's pretty cool, Toronto has a winning team again (finally). Hopefully they keep this up and make some noise in the postseason.

Jays had a 10 game win streak earlier in the year, one last year and the year before. We usually go back to sucking after a win streak.
Shimso
Starter
And1: 2,703

Post#62 » by Shimso » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:45 pm

The most impressive thing about the two sweeps (and really, AL-leading KC should've been swept too) is that the first sweep was a 4 gamer that pretty much knocked out the team that was in a WC spot ahead of us at the time, and the second sweep was against a team that's usually had our number in a stadium that we've usually been destroyed in.
I think there was one year where the Jays went 1-19 vs NYY, and now we're the first team in the league to shut them (and they're 2nd best in the league offense) out back to back since 1999.
almatic
Veteran
And1: 1,713

Post#63 » by almatic » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:41 pm

duppyy wrote:
DJ_RnC wrote:I have never followed the Jays nor do I really enjoy baseball, the occasional Jays game with friends is alright but that's more of a social outing than going there as a fan.

With that being said, even the most casual people such as myself are impressed with what the Jays have been doing since Price got here. When was the last time a Toronto team won 8 games in a row? Raptors have a franchise record of only 7 wins in a row (on multiple occasions) and it's been a while since the Leafs were any good.

They're 1.5 games behind the division lead. Before these trades, making the playoffs was far fetched, now the division lead is in sight. That's pretty cool, Toronto has a winning team again (finally). Hopefully they keep this up and make some noise in the postseason.

Jays had a 10 game win streak earlier in the year, one last year and the year before. We usually go back to sucking after a win streak.

The difference is... this win streak came IMMEDIATELY after 2 huge deadline trades where the Jays acquired 2 big names, while those win streaks from before were earlier in the season.. in seasons where the Jays made no moves at the deadline after.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#64 » by LLJ » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:28 pm

duppyy wrote:

At the end of the day, it still comes down to quantity of quality talent. Over a long baseball season sometimes players get hot or overachieve for a while which causes big win streaks, but the truly great talents don't cool off as much once they aren't "hot". In the past, hot streaks were driven usually by things like bad pitchers pitching well for a few weeks (that streak in 2013 when guys like Josh Johnson were pitching well for a few weeks), or mediocre hitters hitting insanely well (Colabello's 18 game hit streak), or very good hitters mashing at a legendary level (EE last year in May). These are all unsustainable things.

We know our main hitters are good. They will slump but you know they'll start knocking around dingers again before long. What you must ask during this streak is what we are doing that isn't sustainable or is bound to fall down after a while.

2 things in my mind to look at most during this streak: Donaldson eventually cooling off, and 2 of the starting pitchers (Estrada and Dickey) who have been pitching better than average lately. We know Donaldson is good, so he'll recover from a slump, so we must ask how much more are Estrada and Dickey overachieving above their regular norm. I feel like Dickey is up and down in general so the guy who's overachieving most is probably Estrada. Will he fall down eventually, or is he having a simply great year?

Other than those 2 factors, I feel everything else is basically normal with the Jays. The defense is certifiably better without Jose Reyes, and I think the bullpen is legit now with Hawkins and Lowe on board.

I feel like having Tulo who can actually catch and throw unlike Reyes (I swear it seemed like Reyes cost us about a run a game with his bobbled grounders and his throwing range basically limited to about 10 feet) and the bullpen being solidified have been the biggest difference makers so far in this streak.
yogimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,927

Post#65 » by yogimvp » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:56 pm

I jumped on the bandwagon and don't even care about the Raptors right now. I watched the last four games and I don't even remember the last time I sat through a whole Blue Jays game before that.
Lucky26
Starter
And1: 487

Post#66 » by Lucky26 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:39 pm

7 years/250 just on character and personality alone. F@#$ Beeston. Yeah I said it.
I'll play defense when you get a girlfriend
Detective
Head Coach
And1: 24,545

Post#67 » by Detective » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:05 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpt1MeoqXK0[/youtube]

YOU TELL'EM SKIP

YOU TELL THEM ALL

:reporter:
BrunoSkull
RealGM
And1: 110,436

Post#68 » by BrunoSkull » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Detective wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpt1MeoqXK0[/youtube]

YOU TELL'EM SKIP

YOU TELL THEM ALL

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Brunoskull5/status/630107934312103936[/tweet]

SAS didn't respond to my graphic tweet, real disrespectful.
Detective
Head Coach
And1: 24,545

Post#69 » by Detective » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:10 pm

BrunoSkull wrote:

YOU TELL'EM SKIP

YOU TELL THEM ALL

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Brunoskull5/status/630107934312103936[/tweet]

SAS didn't respond to my graphic tweet, real disrespectful.

#ProveEm

:x
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#70 » by Scott Hall » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:00 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/630880294120357889[/tweet]
K1NG
General Manager
And1: 856

Post#71 » by K1NG » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:36 am

beanbag wrote:My guess also is that across Canada, the Jays are more popular than the Raptors. Within Toronto City though, that is probably not the case.

The Jays easily have more fans in Toronto than the Raptors do.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#72 » by Psubs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:53 am

YOU TELL'EM SKIP

YOU TELL THEM ALL

It would've been amazing if Texiera's controversial homer wasn't allowed. When was the last time, the Yankees got shutout in a 3-game series? :o :o :o
Badonkadonk
Head Coach
And1: 11,756

Post#73 » by Badonkadonk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:02 am

beanbag wrote:My guess also is that across Canada, the Jays are more popular than the Raptors. Within Toronto City though, that is probably not the case.

Yeah that's not even really a fair fight. The Jays have been around since '77 and, more importantly, brought back-to-back Championships in the early 90s.

If you think lots of Raps fans invade US arenas to watch them, you should see how Jays fans flock to places like Seattle, New York, Cleveland, Detroit etc. (i.e. any place close to the border).
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,000

Post#74 » by NinjaBro » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:04 am

Hell yeah Skip! LOL
Carlton Banksy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,017

Post#75 » by Carlton Banksy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:54 pm

So I've surmised that David Price is a very good baseball player whom the Jays traded for? And people seem to think the Jays are contenders? I have minimal patience for baseball, and am used to people getting excited by the Jays & it not turning into anything. Is it actually legit this time?

Seriously I've been in Japan for the last few weeks & am not up to speed at all, but I'd watch some games if we're a legit championship contender. Are we?
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#76 » by bluerap23 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:53 pm

Carlton Banksy wrote:So I've surmised that David Price is a very good baseball player whom the Jays traded for? And people seem to think the Jays are contenders? I have minimal patience for baseball, and am used to people getting excited by the Jays & it not turning into anything. Is it actually legit this time?

Seriously I've been in Japan for the last few weeks & am not up to speed at all, but I'd watch some games if we're a legit championship contender. Are we?

It is legit. We have the best offence in baseball (even before Tulo, now it's just ridiculous).
Two of the most underrated trade deadline acquisitions are LaTroy Hawkins and Mark Lowe. With the addition of Sanchez in the pen after returning from injury we have one of the deepest bullpens (8 guys all capable and 4 late inning guys). The major concern with this team all season was starting pitching (and bullpen before the additions). Price and Dickey are both pitching incredible. I think Dickey will sustain it because he usually pitches at his best late in the season. Buerhle will pitch well enough for this offence and Estrada has probably been our most consistent pitcher all season. So yeah, feeling pretty good right now.
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,357

Post#77 » by WiggOuts » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Scott Hall wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/TheTorontoSun/status/630880294120357889[/tweet]

Donaldsons Twitter name is bringerofrain...This guy is the best. How can he not be youre favorite player with what hes doing
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Post#78 » by Chuck Newhouse » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Mylie10 wrote:How did realgm get so huge for you guys?

2 things...I'm not a Jays fan but if I was I may have stopped following them over the last few years knowing that by being in a division with the Yanks and the Sox was going to exclude them from contention every year. I think this has to have had some effect on the fan base size.

I also have a theory as to why the Raps have such a huge following on RealGM. Maybe not specifically RealGM but Basketball forums in general. I know part of the reason I have used it is because I have lived in areas where none of my friends were basketball fans...everyone was a hockey fan and using a chat forum was the best way to find knowledgeable people to talk hoops. I'm pretty sure lots of folks here just gravitate to a place where they can engage with other basketball minds in the land of The Leafs.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#79 » by Scott Hall » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:05 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KrRutherford/status/631562958837977088[/tweet]
Mohanad
Pro Prospect
And1: 698

Post#80 » by Mohanad » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:45 am

The Jays fan base is not limited to Toronto or Southern Ontario. They truly have fans all across Canada. The B.C crowd takes over Seattle whenever the Jays are playing the Mariners. I live in Alberta and the Jays have a large following here as well. The Jays are more popular than the Raptors in Ontario and across Canada. Most of Canada is going to tune into the playoffs this October to watch the blue birds. Raptors playoff atmosphere was amazing but wait until you see the Jays make some noise in the post season

Return to Toronto Raptors