ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN: Toronto could make strong bid for Markieff Morris

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,937

Re: ESPN: Toronto could make strong bid for Markieff Morris 

Post#141 » by Anticon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Ironically PP's stats are much more similar to Marcus Morris than Markieff...just based on ESPN Defensive RPM, Markieff is far ahead of Patterson, with PP as the better offensive player.

Just for that fact alone, you have to assume Masai will give him a long-look, and weigh the obvious attitude and legal issues against the impact he could make.
fame
Bench Warmer
And1: 467

Post#142 » by fame » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:11 pm

I've been harping on this for days, but I really really hope we make a play here. Not only is Markieff more talented than 2pat but he still has the potential to get better with usage and experience. At worst I can see him being a 17 and 8 type of guy, once he hits his prime seasons...We haven't had a power forward that has been capable of that since Bosh! He's signed long term on a very cheap deal that would never hurt our cap! Most of all he can be had for below market value trade wise.

Another thing is everyone saying he's a head case. I watched a lot of Suns games (had him on my fantasy team the last couple of years). The guy is a team player! He passes the ball and keeps movement, dives for loose balls, one of the first guys to stand up for a teammate, and seems to care about the team in general. The techs are the only issue on the court, and if anything we need some extra edge regardless after being laughed out of the playoffs 2 years in a row!

The only knock on him is his assault case. Yet he has not been convicted yet (may not be). At the same time getting in a fight even though it's very thug like (5 guys beating 1 guy) and in no way a normal thing for a millionaire role model let alone anyone to do. It's not like he got caught with firearms, pounds of drugs, etc. I'm not condoning it but people get into fights..Paul Pierce got stabbed, Jermaine O'Neal fought the crowd, Terrence Jones kicked a sleeping homeless man on the street for God sakes. It's boneheaded and stupid but maybe the circumstances were different, maybe he was just around the wrong crowd at the time. I haven't heard anything bad about his attitude until that arrest. Which includes college!

His attitude towards Phoenix is understandable. He took a pay cut to play with his brother and was promised they were part of the future. They offered them a sum (52 million over 4 years) and asked to split it however they deem fair. Markieff took 32 mill and Marcus took 20. He took a cut so his brother would get paid with the promise they would stay together. Of course he's unhappy!
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#143 » by JYD » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 pm

I like Keef but there's no way you offer Patterson in return. Or if you do you get PJ Tucker as well.

Not many teams need a PF, he's got the assault thing (which likely will amount to nothing but it's a significant issue if it did), and he's driven his own value down even more with drawing a line in the sand.

Ross and one of JJ/Bebe should be the only assets on the table unless you want to expand the trade.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,894

Post#144 » by Merit » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:08 pm

Terrence Ross, James Johnson and Bebe for Markieff Morris and Archie Goodwin. Thoughts? Would Phoenix do it? I feel like this is a bit of a homer trade, but I don't know how far Markieff's value has fallen... We'd be lacking shooting at the 2 as well.
I believe in Masai.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#145 » by cdel00 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:12 pm

If Phoenix throws in a first rounder I say deal :)
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#146 » by load management » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:19 pm

He fits next to Howard better than T. Jones, so I am a little worried Morey will snag him up.
**** the Tony Brothers
ThatClockWork
Veteran
And1: 1,856

Post#147 » by ThatClockWork » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:46 pm

JYD wrote:I like Keef but there's no way you offer Patterson in return. Or if you do you get PJ Tucker as well.

Not many teams need a PF, he's got the assault thing (which likely will amount to nothing but it's a significant issue if it did), and he's driven his own value down even more with drawing a line in the sand.

Ross and one of JJ/Bebe should be the only assets on the table unless you want to expand the trade.

Honestly I was thinking exactly this. The Suns are not in a position to push up their asking price at the moment and a combination of the above works. The issue you'll have if Ross is moved though: who stretches the floor off the bench besides Patterson? You're going to have some spacing issues in your lineups for sure.

Merit wrote:Terrence Ross, James Johnson and Bebe for Markieff Morris and Archie Goodwin. Thoughts? Would Phoenix do it? I feel like this is a bit of a homer trade, but I don't know how far Markieff's value has fallen... We'd be lacking shooting at the 2 as well.

If the Lawson trade by DEN is any indicator, I'd say there's a good chance they'll be willing to move him for less than market value
Barack Obama wrote:You can’t lose heart, or grow cynical if there are twists and turns on your journey. The cynics may be the loudest voices — but I promise you, they will accomplish the least.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#148 » by OAKLEY_2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:19 pm

MS13 wrote:
UneducatedFan86 wrote:I "love" this board. Although I think any type of trade involving Morris is doubtful, this would give us a chance to upgrade a position of need and get a legit starter. But because one of the team's golden boys might be part of the trade, people are trying to find every reason to hate it. Is Morris an angel? No. Does he have issues? Yes. But so did Lowry coming in and so do most players in this league. Morris is a definite upgrade over what we currently have and is going to be on a very team friendly contract. Why would anyone be against that?

The viewpoint that every player on this team is just one game away from a break out and has more value than other established players in the league is tiring. I understand having a bit of a bias for a guy that we cheer for every night, but it doesn't mean that we have to blindly just think they are better than they are. Patterson has not done a single thing to prove to me that he can be a legit starter. He has been given many chances and has never really excelled at it.

Too many people are harping on the whole chemistry thing. We just traded/didn't re-sign more than a quarter of our team. We have no idea how the chemistry will be next season. For all we know, this team will come in and completely bomb. Chemistry won't matter then. The only thing you can do is get the best players you can and hope for the best. Morris would fit that.

People on this board get attached to players easily. Remember Sonny Weems and Ed Davis? Some people on here are still waiting for those two to come back. I believe 2Pat might be the next RealGM Golden Boy.

Conversely I am supposed to believe the talent on other teams is always superior and we by nature default to over valuing our own. Horse bleep. I couldn't care less if Pat comes off the bench I'm just saying don't trade the best piece in the Rudy trade for someone who might be a problem. Would I trade a pick like the Clip 2017, JJ and Daniels for him? Yup. If Pat didn't shoot 3's then there is no issue but don't assume it is because Pat is so likeable.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#149 » by Merit » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:00 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
MS13 wrote:
UneducatedFan86 wrote:I "love" this board. Although I think any type of trade involving Morris is doubtful, this would give us a chance to upgrade a position of need and get a legit starter. But because one of the team's golden boys might be part of the trade, people are trying to find every reason to hate it. Is Morris an angel? No. Does he have issues? Yes. But so did Lowry coming in and so do most players in this league. Morris is a definite upgrade over what we currently have and is going to be on a very team friendly contract. Why would anyone be against that?

The viewpoint that every player on this team is just one game away from a break out and has more value than other established players in the league is tiring. I understand having a bit of a bias for a guy that we cheer for every night, but it doesn't mean that we have to blindly just think they are better than they are. Patterson has not done a single thing to prove to me that he can be a legit starter. He has been given many chances and has never really excelled at it.

Too many people are harping on the whole chemistry thing. We just traded/didn't re-sign more than a quarter of our team. We have no idea how the chemistry will be next season. For all we know, this team will come in and completely bomb. Chemistry won't matter then. The only thing you can do is get the best players you can and hope for the best. Morris would fit that.

People on this board get attached to players easily. Remember Sonny Weems and Ed Davis? Some people on here are still waiting for those two to come back. I believe 2Pat might be the next RealGM Golden Boy.

Conversely I am supposed to believe the talent on other teams is always superior and we by nature default to over valuing our own. Horse bleep. I couldn't care less if Pat comes off the bench I'm just saying don't trade the best piece in the Rudy trade for someone who might be a problem. Would I trade a pick like the Clip 2017, JJ and Daniels for him? Yup. If Pat didn't shoot 3's then there is no issue but don't assume it is because Pat is so likeable.

You are WAY undervaluing picks, especially with the cap exploding next year. With all due respect, just because markieff Morris was good for your fantasy team, it doesn't mean that he's going to be great for the raptors. You make the deal if you're willing to take on keef's attitude and he comes to you at a discount. Deandre Daniels is injured and can be thrown into a trade no problem. The pick? Not so much.

JJ/Bebe/Daniels/Ross for Goodwin and Markieff.
I believe in Masai.
Merit
Head Coach

Post#150 » by Merit » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:06 am

oops, For some reason when I read this I read it as the 2016 pick. I'd hang onto it just in case other teams decide to blow things up a little. Not sure if I'd spend it on keef because I think his value will drop as he holds out longer. Plus, Masai knows how to work a trade, even with Phoenix.
I believe in Masai.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#151 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:24 am

The more game footage I see of Markief, the more I think we should make a trade for him. Big gamble but can be big upside.

According to RaptorsRepublic he said he would be good with HOU because of Harden & us because of Lowry. If he can follow Kyle's lead he could be a HUGE steal. Could be a poorman's Billups/Sheed type of dynamic. Bismack as Ben, DD as Rip and Carrol 3+D like Tayshaun, let the poorman's Pistons begin...not fully joking.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,572

Post#152 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:49 pm

JJ + Bebe + Daniels is what I would offer. I don't know what happened to Daniels contract on ESPN trade machine but 1.3mill is needed to be added to JJ + Bebe to make it go thru. I assume Daniels salary is comparable for that.

I'm not interested in a Patterson for Morris swap

In Raptor Ball I Trust
kidr1211
RealGM
And1: 18,189

Post#153 » by kidr1211 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:44 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:JJ + Bebe + Daniels is what I would offer. I don't know what happened to Daniels contract on ESPN trade machine but 1.3mill is needed to be added to JJ + Bebe to make it go thru. I assume Daniels salary is comparable for that.

If we trade daniels i don't think there's any number attached to him, it would just be his draft rights because we haven't signed him to a contract yet.
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#154 » by Mack11 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:44 pm

all our beat writers on vacation or something? no one asked masai if they're pursuing him or not?
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,572

Post#155 » by DreamTeam09 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:44 pm

kidr1211 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:JJ + Bebe + Daniels is what I would offer. I don't know what happened to Daniels contract on ESPN trade machine but 1.3mill is needed to be added to JJ + Bebe to make it go thru. I assume Daniels salary is comparable for that.

If we trade daniels i don't think there's any number attached to him, it would just be his draft rights because we haven't signed him to a contract yet.

That must mean that we can sign & trade him along with JJ and Bebe to make it work

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#156 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 pm

I don't see us offering Pat. The deal would probably be for Ross
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#157 » by MixxSRC » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:36 am

deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#158 » by deeps6x » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:51 am

theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:Don't forget that seeing as we aren't going the tank and rebuild route, and that who really cares about how the 905 gets stacked, we actually have more first rounders in the coming year, than it would make sense to use. I mean if you add in Bruno, Bebe, Wright, Powell, two pick next year, and two picks the year after if Clips make playoffs, than that's probably a bit too much youth for a playoff team to be carrying. I'd be ok parting with the Clips pick to sweeten any deal for Morris, as there's no chance it's a lottery. My preference would be to include the pick instead of including Patterson.

I don't mind throwing the Clippers pick into any deal that upgrades a position for us either. I consider it to be a bonus as I think we already won the GV trade with Powell being what looks to be a well rounded SG backup. Plus, we clearly added a better backup PG to replace GV as well.

As for landing Morris, I'm still on the fence. He is a definite upgrade over 2Pat in the interior, but from 15 feet out, I'd rather have 2Pat. Morris' contract looks decent, and an asset for 3 seasons. 2Pat on the other hand is in a contract year. He could be gone for nothing next year. Which is fine if Morris really IS an upgrade over 2Pat overall. I'm just not sure if he fits this team better than 2Pat.

I'm guessing that his asset value will trump his attitude problems and mean that we are unable or unwilling to trade 2Pat straight up for him.

I've already said that we need TRoss next season, but after that, either DD or Ross will be gone. Who knows, maybe both. They might both be lured away for nothing just because some GM who missed out on the KD/LBJ sweepstakes next summer wants to take home a prize for their fans. The prize would be DD, the consolation prize would be Ross. We might be heavily relying on Powell a year from now. Scary thought considering he hasn't played a game in the league yet. Either way, you just don't trade Ross plus whatever for Morris. Do we really need Morris? We have 2Pat, JJ and Scola. Morris doesn't significantly improve us. He just gives us a longer lasting asset. Another long lasting asset is whomever we pick with the Clippers pick.

I want to hang on to Bebe and Bruno, Wright and Powell, so the only trade I'd consider making for Morris is 2Pat plus the Clippers pick. And I'm only throwing in the Clippers pick to compensate for the extra years on Morris' contract. If that isn't good enough for the Suns, too damn bad. I'd rather see if 2Pat can step it up a bit, or wait for summer and see if we can sign Jones (from Houston) or 2Pat to reasonable deals.

The Toronto Raptors certainly don't need to add Morris this season. But the Phoenix Suns certainly do need to trade him before the season starts. If I'm Masai, I'm waiting to see how the Ross and JV extension talks go, then letting Phoenix come to us with a too good to resist deal for Morris in 5 or 6 weeks.

I just don't see Morris as a great fit next to JV going forward, but with shorter contracts these days, it is more about asset accumulation than chemistry if you want a chance to move up to the next level. You have to have enough assets to flip when the next Harden type of deal rolls around. And considering the JV for Harden rumor at the time, the BALLS to actually make the right move when it is available.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,329

Post#159 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:56 am

We'd be fortunate to get Morris for Patterson. Markieff is a better player.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#160 » by dagger » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:01 am

If we are putting a package together for a power forward, I'd aim higher than Markief Morris who is a modest upgrade over Patterson, who will come with a couple of chips on his shoulder.

I'd be patient and see at the trade deadline if a true power big is available.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER

Return to Toronto Raptors