ImageImageImageImageImage

JV signs extension with Toronto: 4YR, $64M

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Re: Raptors want to sign a deal with JV? 

Post#761 » by Tacoma » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Hero Ball wrote:
Saciid11 wrote:
Danchan wrote:
i dont understand how anyone can hate anybody on a team they root for this bad.

Like how you hate Demar or anybody associated with Demar...

I don't hate Jonas, I don't even know the dude... As raptor fan and basketball I think he is extremely overrated and is more of liability to this team success.

Jonas was a Raptor for like 10 minutes before you started mocking his name and the team for picking him (then and in the 4 years since) but you don't hate him. :nod:

Wow, that link was page 39 of a 73 page thread... how did it take you to dig this out? And it was more a knock against BC than JV. And for the record, to this day I still can't spell JV's last name without having to look it up.
Naija Boy
Banned User
And1: 2,242

Re: Is anyone here against or not fully convinced on JVs extension? 

Post#762 » by Naija Boy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:15 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
iktuz wrote:
Courtside wrote:The ten other JV threads weren't sufficient to post your unimaginative observations?

Also, JV >>> Tristan. I guess when none other than Lebron James thinks you need to get paid, you're a superstar?

Tristan is better at getting those offensive rebounds, but outside of that he isn't better than JV. JV's offense is miles better than Tristan's.

There's this other half of the game called defense, where TT is way better.

I still like JV's long-term potential over TT, but right now TT is clearly better.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Idk how else to respond to this.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#763 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Naija Boy wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
iktuz wrote:Tristan is better at getting those offensive rebounds, but outside of that he isn't better than JV. JV's offense is miles better than Tristan's.

I still like JV's long-term potential over TT, but right now TT is clearly better.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Oh come on. Do I really need to explain how TT's skills (defensive versatility, offensive rebounding) are more valuable than what JV brings at this point?
Rappid
Junior
And1: 453

Post#764 » by Rappid » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:Oh come on. Do I really need to explain how TT's skills (defensive versatility, offensive rebounding) are more valuable than what JV brings at this point?

Rich is that you?
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,846

Post#765 » by JShuttlesworth » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Naija Boy wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

Oh come on. Do I really need to explain how TT's skills (defensive versatility, offensive rebounding) are more valuable than what JV brings at this point?

I'm waiting...
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#766 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:40 pm

JShuttlesworth wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
Naija Boy wrote:

I'm waiting...

He's actually a good defender (defense is half the game, which tends to get forgotten). He fits next to another C or can play C himself. He can also play against any lineup (small included). His offensive skillset fits in any lineup.

JV can score in the post way better and shoot FT's better. What else? I'll wait.
Naija Boy
Banned User

Post#767 » by Naija Boy » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:58 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

I'm waiting...

He's actually a good defender (defense is half the game, which tends to get forgotten). He fits next to another C or can play C himself. He can also play against any lineup (small included). His offensive skillset fits in any lineup.

JV can score in the post way better and shoot FT's better. What else? I'll wait.

Rim Protection
Jonas is a significantly superior rim protector to TT. He allowed opponents to shoot 46.5% at the rim compared to TT's 52.2%. And that was against more attempts (8.2 per game compared to 6.5).

Pick and Roll Defense
TT defended the pick and roll man better last year allowing 0.68 PPP compared to 0.81 for Jonas. Jonas' was better than Amir for comparison, and to be fair we have to consider the fact that the Raptors were a much worse defensive team than the Cavs and it's a lot harder to guard the roll man if the ball-handler is blowing by your teammate because the defense isn't set.

Post Defense
Jonas was a better low-post defender allowing 0.73 PPP compared to TT's 0.78. This isn't a huge difference, but it does show that Jonas was a better post defender despite often being left on an island with no help in weaker Raptors defense

So what have we learned? JV defends the post up and drives to the rim better than Tristan Thompson, the two most important defensive traits for an NBA center. And btw he's in about the 80th percentile for in the entire league in these two areas, meaning he's well above average. Tristan defends the pick and roll better... which he should considering that he's quicker and also was helped by having elite defenders in Shumpert and LBJ defending the ball-handler in P&R situations.

So if JV is better than TT on defense and miles ahead of him offensively... how do they compare? Stop the damn nonsense.
vi3t
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Re: JV signs extension with Toronto: 4YR, $64M 

Post#768 » by vi3t » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:37 pm

Also TT is not a shot blocker, he averaged 1.0 in his rookie and has averaged less than one the last three yrs, a good defensive four should be able to average at least 1.0 bpg
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#769 » by Rapcity_11 » Sat Sep 5, 2015 10:27 pm

Naija Boy wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
JShuttlesworth wrote:
I'm waiting...

Rim Protection
Jonas is a significantly superior rim protector to TT. He allowed opponents to shoot 46.5% at the rim compared to TT's 52.2%. And that was against more attempts (8.2 per game compared to 6.5).

Pick and Roll Defense
TT defended the pick and roll man better last year allowing 0.68 PPP compared to 0.81 for Jonas. Jonas' was better than Amir for comparison, and to be fair we have to consider the fact that the Raptors were a much worse defensive team than the Cavs and it's a lot harder to guard the roll man if the ball-handler is blowing by your teammate because the defense isn't set.

Post Defense
Jonas was a better low-post defender allowing 0.73 PPP compared to TT's 0.78. This isn't a huge difference, but it does show that Jonas was a better post defender despite often being left on an island with no help in weaker Raptors defense

So what have we learned? JV defends the post up and drives to the rim better than Tristan Thompson, the two most important defensive traits for an NBA center. And btw he's in about the 80th percentile for in the entire league in these two areas, meaning he's well above average. Tristan defends the pick and roll better... which he should considering that he's quicker and also was helped by having elite defenders in Shumpert and LBJ defending the ball-handler in P&R situations.

So if JV is better than TT on defense and miles ahead of him offensively... how do they compare? Stop the damn nonsense.

JV better than TT on defense? Unreal that somebody can say that. Unreal.

What you posted covers a very small part of defense.

I'm actually still laughing at that. Did you watch the playoffs?
Naija Boy
Banned User

Post#770 » by Naija Boy » Sun Sep 6, 2015 12:34 am

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Naija Boy wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

Rim Protection

Pick and Roll Defense

Post Defense

At worst JV is equal, at best he is better. I'll wait for you to post some evidence to the contrary. "Watching the playoffs" doesn't suffice as evidence as that is highly subjective. Also the Raptors as a team were playing horrible defense for basically the whole year including the playoffs, while the Cavs started off poor and really ramped up defensively in the playoffs.

Saying Tristan is better than JV defensively based on what we saw in the Warriors series is a reach. It's precisely this attitude that has people willing to pay him so much money. Any time a role player gets showcased in the finals, people are hyping the crap out of them the next year. Posey in 2008 for Boston, Ariza in LA in 2009, Barea for the Mavericks in 2011, Danny Green for the Spurs in 2014, and now Tristan Thompson this year.

Step back and take off the NBA Finals/Canadian goggles and look at his game objectively. He is only elite at one thing, offensive rebounding. Yes that is great, but it's not worth the kind of money he's going to cost.
Darknemo2000
Veteran
And1: 1,685

Post#771 » by Darknemo2000 » Tue Sep 8, 2015 3:03 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:

At least he is providing some numbers and evidence. You on the other hand provide just your own bias,
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#772 » by pbj » Tue Sep 8, 2015 3:18 pm

I don't think you want to use statistics to argue in favour of Jonas.. if we're going by statistics, then Charles Hayes and Tyler should have taken every one of his minutes last season.

Last season we were -8.3 worse with Jonas in the game. We were much better offensively and much better defensively with him sitting. Even our TS% went up a few points with him sitting. That might be due in part to Lou coming when he would sit, but across 80 games, it just can't be denied.

At least Tristan was a net positive for the year. It may not be pretty, but he made a positive impact on the scoreboard.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#773 » by pbj » Tue Sep 8, 2015 3:27 pm

I like JV, he seems like a great guy and his skill set is pretty rare in the NBA these days. But unless he can improve on that massive on/off disparity, then eventually I'm going to want him moved.

Regardless of how he's used or how many minutes he gets or what the matches up are or any of that stuff, over the course of 82 games, I demand that we score more points than the other team when he's on the court. That's the bottom line.

And if he can't do that, then all his big post-ups and charismatic emotes and untapped potential mean didly-squat.

Return to Toronto Raptors