ImageImageImageImageImage

Amir Johnson said the Raptors stole a few plays from Brad Stevens last season.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Re: Amir Johnson said the Raptors stole a few plays from Brad Stevens last season. 

Post#21 » by dalton749 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:46 pm

i bet that one good inbounds play we got out of nowhere one day was stevens
the cut under the rim that worked a few times
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Re: Amir Johnson said the Raptors stole a few plays from Brad Stevens last season. 

Post#22 » by Tacoma » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:52 pm

LLJ wrote:Didn't work tho

Exactly. Only Casey can steal plays that don't work. Just when you think he can't get any worse, he does.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#23 » by Thespianoid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:55 pm

gamer1035 wrote:what plays? is he talking about isoball?

it'd be a miracle if Casey stole someone elses plays and used them (cause we currently have 0 plays)

There were definitely plays the team ran. We're gonna have to dredge up the old Undefeated thread..

Problem is, during games, they'd either continue running ones that would break down into isolations, or ones that would yield poor results. No sign of adjustment or wavering from something that wasn't working, until it was already too late.

If a play hasn't yielded positive results in 4 consecutive possessions, why call the EXACT SAME PLAY for a few more trips? Or even worse, upon adjustment and finding success, go away from that back to what wasn't working? Where is the logic?

If your PG is doing a poor job of running the team, you call a timeout and get him back on track or sub him out for someone else. It's this lack of adjustment that really hampered the Raptors in the coaching department. Alongside a lack of structure/accountability when players start getting out of hand (which they inevitably do, on all teams). And until those change drastically, I strongly believe the Raptors will be capped in terms of ultimate achievement.

For the most part, coaches don't have that much of a direct influence on what happens on the court. It's up to the players to execute what they're told and play intelligently and unselfishly. But when they do not (and with the Raptors, this was often), that's when the coach NEEDS to step in and right the ship with the power at their disposal. And that doesn't happen nearly often enough with Casey.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not one of those guys that rails on Casey for ridiculous things. He has his strengths (great with players, gets his guys to play hard, team buys in), and his lineups aren't always as bad as people say (though they could use some situational tweaking, but again that's the main issue). But from what I've seen, his main weakness of game management is pretty damning in terms of being able to lead a team to post-season success. That's simply my opinion, anyway.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#24 » by basketball royalty » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:11 am

He should steal more.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
props to Turbozone for the sig
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#25 » by Psubs » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:11 am

basketball royalty wrote:He should steal more.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I'm hoping they signed Joseph to bring plays from San Antonio. 8-)
aw8
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,570

Post#26 » by aw8 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:51 am

I already miss Amir.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o[/youtube]
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#27 » by Kabookalu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:04 am

Next time we should just steal Brad Stevens.
Read on Twitter
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,440

Post#28 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:09 am

LLJ wrote:Didn't work tho

Casey can't even copy plays properly.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#29 » by Volcano » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:40 am

I wonder if Lou and Amir were dissatisfied with Casey..what's the point of making these comments?
iktuz
Senior
And1: 416

Post#30 » by iktuz » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:44 am

Volcano wrote:I wonder if Lou and Amir were dissatisfied with Casey..what's the point of making these comments?

I think Amir, after giving so much to the team, was expecting to get a solid contract from the team.
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#31 » by Mack11 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:48 am

well, did brad stevens invent those plays?
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#32 » by deeps6x » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:It's not a big deal, happens all the time. I heard Ross has modelled his game after the 12 year olds who beat him on PSN.

That would imply that Ross has an analytical mind.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Hackett
Senior
And1: 672

Post#33 » by Hackett » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:29 pm

"Oh my god my team has plays" - Realgm posters

(getting the best record in franchise history just happens by itself. Get this, no Vince Carter, No TMac, no Oak, not even a Mark Jackson... not a single player even close to the caliber of these players and we set the franchise record. Maybe just maybe that has something to do with coaching...)
Potential
RealGM
And1: 43,959

Post#34 » by Potential » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:46 pm

Amir's a snake for this
Hackett
Senior
And1: 672

Post#35 » by Hackett » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:48 pm

not so much a snake, just not the brightest bulb in the bunch
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#36 » by Patman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:04 pm

There is a difference between plays and a system. We have plays, lots, actually. But I don't see much of a system. A play can break down. A system can run continuously.

The triangle (w/o Melo), D'Antoni's Suns (infinite PnR's), Pop's continuity offense (which disciples like Bud and Kerr borrowed from) are examples of systems. They make the D work the entire possession when executed.

You can see the difference in our offense. We call a play. The D does one thing to disrupt it, and bam, it's iso town or once in a while dump it to JV.
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,455

Post#37 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:07 pm

iktuz wrote:
Volcano wrote:I wonder if Lou and Amir were dissatisfied with Casey..what's the point of making these comments?

I think Amir, after giving so much to the team, was expecting to get a solid contract from the team.

I'm pretty sure this was meant as compliment to Stevens than slight to Casey. I remember hearing from Casey that coaches look at what other coaches are doing and incorporate what works in their game plan.
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Post#38 » by 720 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:49 pm

Pooh_Jeter wrote:It's not a big deal, happens all the time. I heard Ross has modelled his game after the 12 year olds who beat him on PSN.

I used to see the guy up playing games at like 3am on his 360 lol. Guy is a hardcore gamer.
curryking3
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,994

Post#39 » by curryking3 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:29 pm

VC720 wrote:

I used to see the guy up playing games at like 3am on his 360 lol. Guy is a hardcore gamer.

I think my NBA alter-ego is Terrence Ross. Shooting guard. Thin frame. Plays videogames. Never realizes his NBA potential (I could've made it... maybe :P).

I'm not sure how I feel about that lmao.
RNsteve
Banned User
And1: 939

Post#40 » by RNsteve » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:14 pm

JS_raptors wrote:We stole Amir's best years

Come on..

End of bench Detroit player, who ended up getting a contract most deemed as a overpay at the time and ++starter minutes.

Amir will always be one of the best Raptors. I just wish he had a different # so we could retire it.(you know Carter's number is as good as retired)

Return to Toronto Raptors