ImageImageImageImageImage

Who could we have traded the 2006 1st overall pick for?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,186

Re: Who could we have traded the 2006 1st overall pick for? 

Post#41 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:06 pm

If #4 and #7 were in the table for #1 we should have taken that. I think we could have walked away with Rudy Gay at #4 and Brendan Roy at #7. Looking at our roster after I would have been thrilled

PG: Ford/Calderon/Dixon
SG: Peterson/Roy/Dixon
SF: Graham/Gay/Peterson
PF: Bosh/Humphries/FA
C: Rasho/FA/Sow

The free agency class was decent but I think we could have had a shot at Pryzbilla
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,835

Post#42 » by Duffman100 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 12:44 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:If #4 and #7 were in the table for #1 we should have taken that. I think we could have walked away with Rudy Gay at #4 and Brendan Roy at #7. Looking at our roster after I would have been thrilled

The free agency class was decent but I think we could have had a shot at Pryzbilla

Pretty sure a rookie Roy and rookie Gay would have taken the starting jobs from Peterson and Graham in training camp.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,186

Re: RE: Re: Who could we have traded the 2006 1st overall pick for? 

Post#43 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Oct 6, 2015 12:56 am

Duffman100 wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:If #4 and #7 were in the table for #1 we should have taken that. I think we could have walked away with Rudy Gay at #4 and Brendan Roy at #7. Looking at our roster after I would have been thrilled

Pretty sure a rookie Roy and rookie Gay would have taken the starting jobs from Peterson and Graham in training camp.

Yeah they would have but I think they would be eased into the starting lineup. Maybe by the second month or sooner.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
gerrit4
Head Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#44 » by gerrit4 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 1:04 am

Choker wrote:From what I remember Bargnani was 4th or 5th on most mocks, and then when it was known Colangelo wanted Bargnani he started becoming the consensus first overall pick. Before that though Gay and Aldridge were the two players that was projected to go first, and then there were some odd mocks that had Tyrus Thomas and Adam Morrison at the top.

That's how I remember it too. I do remember that there was a rumour before the lottery that Bargnani wasn't going to work out for anyone but the Raptors @ 5 (they were slotted at #5 pre-lotto), so there may have been a promise.

As for trades, even though we know BC loved Bargnani, I don't think there was much of a trade market for the pick. It was similar to the Bennet draft in terms of the value of the #1 pick. People liked Aldridge but he'd just been schooled by Big Baby in the tournament if my memory serves me.

The Brevin Knight & #3 rings a bell (kind of a nothing trade), but I don't remember anything about the #4 and #7, or Ray Allen. Amazing how at the time it would have seemed crazy to trade a #1 pick for an aging star like Allen, but he was relevant in the league for many years after that.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#45 » by CoachJReturns » Tue Oct 6, 2015 1:08 am

I don't remember what trades were available, but a trade wasn't necessary. BC just needed to listen to Bish and take Aldridge.
Mr. Perfect
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Post#46 » by Mr. Perfect » Tue Oct 6, 2015 2:29 pm

I remember Ray Allen being mentioned quite a bit during this time. My gripe is not so much taking Bargs in the 2006 draft, it was a weak draft I can live with it.

I'm pissed at Babcock for not trading up with Portland in 2005. We could have traded picks #7 (Charlie V) and #16 (Joey Graham) for Portlands #3 and taken Chris Paul with that pick. A Bosh + Paul tandem would have been a perrenial eastern conference contender.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#47 » by ontnut » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:16 pm

What's the O/U on how long it will be before we stop caring about the BC/Bargs tenure/draft? It's 9 years now...
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#48 » by lolwut » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:19 pm

ontnut wrote:What's the O/U on how long it will be before we stop caring about the BC/Bargs tenure/draft? It's 9 years now...

About as long as the VC/TMac tenure.
2023-2024 FatherTrackerâ„¢ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#49 » by Patman » Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:36 pm

In an alternate universe, high school players are still allowed to declare for the NBA Draft. The Raps select Oden, who never has the string of injuries he suffered in Portland. He goes on to dominate the league. Small ball does not come about since every team still has big stiffs on their roster just to contend with Oden. Championship time.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#50 » by JN » Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:51 pm

I doubt 4+7 was on the table.

In many drafts that would get done in a second... but there was just not an elite enough prospect at #1 for that to happen.
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,077

Post#51 » by mihaic » Tue Oct 6, 2015 10:13 pm

HangTime wrote:I remeber hearing a few things.

#1 for Jermaine O'neal

#1 for Ray Allen

#1 and someone (I'm forgetting) for #4, #7 and a bigger contract

BC wanted to trade down to get Bargs + something, but the Bulls were threatening to take Bargs at #2 if we trade down.

We probably would have taken Marcus Williams top 10.

And the bulls took... TT (Tyrus Thomas)
They sure missed on Morrison, too
The only really good player was LMA.
Roy was good for a while but they also switched him in the draft for Foye if I remember so they knew he'll have health issues.
What a draft

Return to Toronto Raptors