ImageImageImageImageImage

Spears: Bennett hopes to revive career

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Spears: Bennett hopes to revive career 

Post#1 » by sca » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:10 am

A nice article on Bennett on the frontpage of Y! sports. Interesting Bass comparison by Casey.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-no--1-pick-anthony-bennett-hopes-to-revive-career-with-hometown-raptors-035346398.html

Anthony Bennett made history by becoming the first Canadian to be named the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft. Now a little more than just two years later, and on his third team, the new Toronto Raptors forward is back home with hopes of removing a far less flattering title from his résumé: bust.

Bennett had a childhood dream of playing for Toronto and grew up a huge Vince Carter fan. He signed a one-year deal with the Raptors for the veteran's minimum at $947,928.

Raptors coach Dwane Casey says Bennett reminds him of Los Angeles Lakers forward Brandon Bass, who he coached with the Dallas Mavericks, and is impressive defensively. Casey doesn't plan to use him at small forward.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Re: Spears: Bennett hopes to revive career 

Post#2 » by LiSTWithLani » Wed Oct 7, 2015 12:08 pm

I don't love the Brandon Bass comparison, perhaps Charlie V, but I have to watch him more for a more apt comparison.
Smitch
Bench Warmer
And1: 168

Post#3 » by Smitch » Wed Oct 7, 2015 12:30 pm

Bennet could (with a good amount of luck) become a descent small ball Power Forward for us. If he can find his game, kinda like Al Harrington did in his 3rd season he'll be okay.. Don't forget he's only 20 or 21. :)
cram
Head Coach
And1: 1,699

Post#4 » by cram » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:04 pm

He's a poor man's Larry Johnson. YTBD whether that means third world poverty version of Larry or something (hopefully) better.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#5 » by djsunyc » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:09 pm

cram wrote:He's a poor man's Larry Johnson. YTBD whether that means third world poverty version of Larry or something (hopefully) better.

QUICK GET HIM SOME CONDOMS!!!!
cram
Head Coach

Post#6 » by cram » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:10 pm

djsunyc wrote:
cram wrote:He's a poor man's Larry Johnson. YTBD whether that means third world poverty version of Larry or something (hopefully) better.

QUICK GET HIM SOME CONDOMS!!!!

:lol: :lol:
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#7 » by wtcantfw » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:23 pm

lstern wrote:I don't love the Brandon Bass comparison, perhaps Charlie V, but I have to watch him more for a more apt comparison.

Charlie V? He's not even dark skinned.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#8 » by MadDogSHWA » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:26 pm

V interesting that Ujiri says "this is not a 1 year thing"...which is what I was hoping. Nobody expects Bennett to turn it all around in 1 season. Just demonstrate a work ethic and ability to improve and we can give him another small deal.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#9 » by tsherkin » Wed Oct 7, 2015 1:27 pm

I'll be reasonably happy if Bennett hustles in practice and then gets sent to the D-League so he can play some basketball that isn't a scrimmage. Then we'll re-evaluate next year.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,447

Post#10 » by mtcan » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:14 pm

I'm willing to give Bennett the Bennett-ifit of the doubt. He's 22 years old still. Bismack Biyombo is 23 years old, Cory Joseph is 24, JV is 23, and then there's Bebe, Bruno, Delon Wright and Norm Powell...all under 25 years of age. There is a lot of youth...and hopefully even half of them will become decent rotation players.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#11 » by StopitLeo » Wed Oct 7, 2015 2:35 pm

Bennett will never live up to being a 1st overall pick, which is a level of expectation placed upon him undeservedly. He is still a very athletic guy with good all around skills (which he needs being an undersized PF). He has good hands, can shoot and finish near the basket, has the potential to be a good rebounder with his length and jumping ability, and should be able to be an adequate defender. He needs a chance to show that in an environment with lower expectations. He is now a guy playing on a minimum contract, can't get much lower than that. I don't see why he can't be a good contributor to this team.
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,009

Post#12 » by kalel123 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:44 pm

People just need to keep an open mind. Don't look at him as former #1 pick, just look at him as a young minimum-contract guy trying to develop into something. Then you won't drive yourself crazy getting too disappointed or negative if it doesn't work out. But if it does, it'll be good all around.
dontsettle4less
Senior
And1: 343

Post#13 » by dontsettle4less » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:08 pm

kalel123 wrote:People just need to keep an open mind. Don't look at him as former #1 pick, just look at him as a young minimum-contract guy trying to develop into something. Then you won't drive yourself crazy getting too disappointed or negative if it doesn't work out. But if it does, it'll be good all around.

Yeah he just needs a fresh start. We don't need to put pressure on him, we have guys who can start in Scola and Patman.
kirkwood
Starter
And1: 1,718

Post#14 » by kirkwood » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:14 pm

Come on guys, he is the next Barkley

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#15 » by CoachJReturns » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:15 pm

Or a poor man's Anthony Mason (R.I.P. to the Beast! )

Where is L.J. these days? Someone call him up and have him work with his fellow UNLV boy.
cram
Head Coach

Post#16 » by cram » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:18 pm

CoachJReturns wrote:

Or a poor man's Anthony Mason (R.I.P. to the Beast! )

Where is L.J. these days? Someone call him up and have him work with his fellow UNLV boy.

Probably still doing his Grandma routine somewhere.
CoachJReturns
RealGM

Post#17 » by CoachJReturns » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:23 pm

tsherkin wrote:I'll be reasonably happy if Bennett hustles in practice and then gets sent to the D-League so he can play some basketball that isn't a scrimmage. Then we'll re-evaluate next year.

I'd like to see him in D League for a stint as well. If they're running the same system, then they could work with him on just knowing his role, with no real pressure. Same for anybother young guys on the roster. Bennett has only been in good shape for several months now. No need to dump too much on him too fast. Have him figure out where to be defensively and let him get his confidence back. His shooting form isn't broken and he has some pick and roll potential offensively, so just feeling that he is going to pbe able to play through mistakes should make things easier. I think the rocky start to his career probably did a number on his confidence. He's a much better shooter than he's shown until this point.
CoachJReturns
RealGM

Post#18 » by CoachJReturns » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:25 pm

kirkwood wrote:Come on guys, he is the next Barkley

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I wonder if there will ever be another Barkley or L.J.
They were very unique players and I can't think of many guys who even fit their physical profiles, let alone have something close to their talent.
Danchan
Banned User
And1: 3,250

Post#19 » by Danchan » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:32 pm

in order to be revived one has to be alive in the first place.
Coach_Casey
Sophomore
And1: 57

Post#20 » by Coach_Casey » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:47 pm

Is there a way to make him shorter?

Return to Toronto Raptors