ImageImageImageImageImage

Casey Made Me Do It

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,582

Re: Casey Made Me Do It 

Post#101 » by bluerap23 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:08 pm

I would make the argument that it may make sense to retain Casey for the Tank next season, but he has already proven he is $hit at tanking too.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,582

Post#102 » by bluerap23 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Hackett wrote:
vincecarter55 wrote:
Hackett wrote:Young fans with crushes on players, blame coaches when they see substitutions they dont agree with.

I have been a basketball fan for over 25 years... this is one of the best coaches this team has had.

Comparing DC to past Raptor coaches just makes you realize how bad other raptor coaches have been. Raptors have won a playoff series once in the history of the franchise. Players, executives and COACHES are a part of that.

Without giving me wins vs. losses and statistics, what exactly about Dwayne Casey's coaching makes him so good? Tell me specifics like rotations, offensive/defensive sets, plays coming out timeouts, decision making and execution down the stretch of ball games, etc. Because when I evaluate the coach... I don't give a **** about wins and losses. I care about coaching. What I see from Dwayne is poor coaching. He may well be doing stuff behind the scenes that neither me or you know about so let's not discuss that. Let's discuss what he does do.

I think coaches should be judged by wins and losses. That is it, how they go about getting those wins and losses is entirely up to them.

Someone like Cito Gaston for instance would show great confidence in his players, so much so that he would bat lefty vs lefty even when baseball purists cried sacrilege. His approach worked, and statistically his clubs always performed above expectations.

I think Casey is the same sort of coach, he has his methods and he gets the most out of his players. Sure Jay Triano is a better X's and O's coach, but Jay Triano couldn't win with a roster of Bosh and Marion at their prime. It's not always about the X's and O's.

Regular season wins and losses or playoff wins and losses?
whatamoron
Rookie
And1: 473

Post#103 » by whatamoron » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:14 pm

changes wrote:Everyone losing their mind over Casey will feel better once they realize the mediocre talent level on this team.

Then play the rookies, they couldn't do much worse.
changes
Head Coach
And1: 9,124

Post#104 » by changes » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:27 pm

whatamoron wrote:
changes wrote:Everyone losing their mind over Casey will feel better once they realize the mediocre talent level on this team.

Then play the rookies, they couldn't do much worse.

Considering the 'rookies' consist of guys like bruno, bebe, bennett, powell, wright, it would certainly be worse.

Also, everything this franchise does from ownership, to gm, to coach, is to hopefully squeek in 2-4 extra home games, not sure why you would expect anything different here.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#105 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:29 pm

Even if one of you guys was coaching this team, my love for the Raptors would still have me tuning in to watch them play.

With that said, I've always wanted Casey gone. It's been long overdue at this point too. And I wouldn't mind Nick Nurse or Andy Greer be an interim head coach instead.
Thank you Clutch0z24
dozendonuts
Sixth Man
And1: 2,878

Post#106 » by dozendonuts » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Hackett wrote:
Kurtz wrote:
I'll have to disagree there. A coach does more than make players work hard, he also designs a system that is most suited to the talent on his team, he plays the right guys at the right time, and vitally, he draws up actual plays at the end of games.

As an example, look at Golden State. Mark Jackson was a well-liked player's coach. Players played plenty hard for him. The problem was, he was an idiot (as a coach), without a real system or a playbook. As soon as Golden State brought in a better coach, Golden State went from 1st round fodder to Champions (with basically the exact same roster).

Dwayne Casey is our Mark Jackson.

I think that goes without saying. All coaches have to coach and make in game adjustments. What I am saying is that those are not the only factors that you judge a coach by.

BC's/Mitchell/Triano teams were no where near as hard working as Masai's/Casey's teams. You could see the hard work right when Casey took over. You can especially see this change in Derozan. We were always in games even with the heavy weights. Not every coach has that ability.

So in my opinion the best coaches are the coaches that make their players work the hardest. If I see a lazy team, I don't have much respect for the coach, regardless of his X/O' acumen.

Would you consider a team losing by 31 points in a playoff elimination game a lazy team?
ElectricMayhem wrote:If Kevin Martin walks? You blow it up, you tank, you pray to high heaven that another once in a generation Kevin Martin-type player somehow lands on your team. That's all you can do, really.
vincecarter55
Rookie
And1: 1,844

Post#107 » by vincecarter55 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:21 am

Hackett wrote:I think coaches should be judged by wins and losses. That is it, how they go about getting those wins and losses is entirely up to them.

Someone like Cito Gaston for instance would show great confidence in his players, so much so that he would bat lefty vs lefty even when baseball purists cried sacrilege. His approach worked, and statistically his clubs always performed above expectations.

I think Casey is the same sort of coach, he has his methods and he gets the most out of his players. Sure Jay Triano is a better X's and O's coach, but Jay Triano couldn't win with a roster of Bosh and Marion at their prime. It's not always about the X's and O's.

The fact that you think Jay Triano is a good X's and O's coach based on his time with the Raptors makes me :noway: I guess we watched different games...
agentzero2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,686

Post#108 » by agentzero2010 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:27 am

The worst part is; if and when he gets fired, analysts, especially african american analysts like Stephen A Smith will spin this as a bad move because technically this team has gotten better in terms of win total each year. I agree that Casey is not the right fit for this group of players and he doesn't know how to control tight games but the team will be antagonized for firing him. Remember this.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,787
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#109 » by Boogie! » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:32 am

DonMega wrote:That's the thing though, the leafs have a legendary coach like Mike Babcock and still suck. This team needs full rebuild, by that I mean they already got the redesigned logos but they forgot to take out all remnants of bc era. Trade ross, Val, demar and maybe Lowry and do a clean rebuild, so tired of the same losers playing for us for so many years.

getting rid of the whole team and scrubbing it up for a few years does not guarantee you success either... look at the sixers... you cant just fold your entire hand and expect to somehow become great again... the thing is, the raptors actually have some pieces that contribute to winning... we should keep those and move on from the ones that dont...

lowry, valanciunas, corey joseph, carroll, patterson are all guys i would keep going forward... scola is a decent player but not part of the future, james johnson i like but his lack of shooting is a weakness in todays nba and im on the fence about ross since i think better ball movement will really help his game...

but other than those 5, essentially i would get rid of everyone else plus casey... if we added another elite wing talent, i think those guys would fit well around him... plus, we need more high iq role players...
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
R_Rahl
Ballboy
And1: 45

Post#110 » by R_Rahl » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:07 am

YogurtProducer wrote:Anyone on here that actually stops watching the games really never was a fan anyways IMO. "Real" fans are the ones who watch the game whether we're good, bad, or awful. But keep complaining when the team is having its best multiple season run in over a decade.

This team isn't perfect but news flash, 29 of the 30 teams this year won't be good enough either. Just enjoy the ride, don't take it so seriously, stay positive even if all the facts say you shouldn't be. It's a hell of a lot funner that way.

Interesting, because it is this same logic that I feel makes people like you not a 'real' fan.

You think supporting a mediocre team with mediocre wins or first round fodder makes you a good fan???

This is one of the major problems with the Leafs, fans like you, who will blindly support a team during treadmill years. The ownership will never make required changes as long as they have suckers like you to take money from and never need to invest in the team.

I have been watching my raps since opening day in 95, I do not need to prove my obsessive fandom so some random poster on the internet. Especially one who routinely insults other fans. (yea that's a great indication you are a fan btw lol))
However, sitting on a high horse judging people is quite ironic... because it's people like you who hold us back, being satisfied with half a$$ed effort just because of a +.500 team.

I also want to add quickly: bad coach and bad team are not mutually exclusive.. how hard is that for people to understand?? Why are people not understanding this... we need better talent, no question. Watching DD go hero mode for 5+ years is killing this franchise. However, we also need a coach who can, at the very least, draw up an inbound play, I mean that's not very much to ask right??

I dunno, you need to a) stop insulting other fans, its sad and pathetic and b) need to 'look in the mirror' as is so popular to say here because telling people "we are the best we have ever been so just be happy" when in reality we suck and get beat bad when in matters is quite simply not good enough.

Have some standards man. It's ok to want more.
your life is yours alone... rise up and live it
MS13
Veteran
And1: 4,496

Post#111 » by MS13 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:08 am

These forums are so much fun though when they suck. No lies. Still amazing though
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#112 » by alienchild » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:29 am

After 5 years, I think the rock should kind of be broken now.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#113 » by goinrogue » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:03 am

If the OP wasn't a long time poster, this thread would have been locked three posts into the first page. This is more of a criticism of the mods, like that 'who should replace Casey' thread that got locked cause a sensitive mod thought Casey coached a good game against golden state. Casey needs to go.
vincecarter55
Rookie
And1: 1,844

Post#114 » by vincecarter55 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:23 am

Ya mods need to open up a Casey bashing thread at least like the blue jays messageboard does with Gibby... You can't be locking stuff up just because you don't agree with the opinion.
Turbo_Zone
Veteran
And1: 13,042

Post#115 » by Turbo_Zone » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:25 am

MS13 wrote:These forums are so much fun though when they suck. No lies. Still amazing though

I totally agree. When the Raps suck, its a ROAST AND RAGE FEST and I love it.

Toronto Raptors - Best Team Ever Forever
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,695

Post#116 » by C_Money » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:27 am

I'm more pissed off at Masai this year than I am Casey. I think the roster is garbage.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,817

Post#117 » by ash_k » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:28 am

agentzero2010 wrote:The worst part is; if and when he gets fired, analysts, especially african american analysts like Stephen A Smith will spin this as a bad move because technically this team has gotten better in terms of win total each year. I agree that Casey is not the right fit for this group of players and he doesn't know how to control tight games but the team will be antagonized for firing him. Remember this.

Really strange comment.
We have signed players for over 100 million worth of contracts not to be fighting for 7 and 8 seeds, not to lose home games against Knicks. Talent not being maximized...
Everybody knows the team was below .500 after the All Star Break and then playoffs.

We are in a "win"-mode, this year cannot be wasted. Casey must go asap!
I like your "Casey is not the right fit" like he is a proven head coach winner! with his personal and current below .500 winning record!
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
goinrogue
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#118 » by goinrogue » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:49 am

C_Money wrote:I'm more pissed off at Masai this year than I am Casey. I think the roster is garbage.

Agreed, but the team is falling apart in fourth quarters cause Casey won't tell Lowry and demar to stop being dicks and pass the ball. In the end, this franchise needs to stop being cheap and get an experienced head coach.
WigginsNation
Analyst
And1: 1,389

Post#119 » by WigginsNation » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:32 am

The_Hater wrote:
WigginsNation wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Casey might be one of the problems but anyone expecting a huge jump in the level of play will almost certainly be disappointed. This is still a superstar-less, flawed roster with a fairly low ceiling in the playoffs.

And just so you're aware, MU can't fire Casey and spend money on another coach without approval from his bosses. They have to pay the tab. So it's always possible that MU is stuck with a coach he wants to replace.

Yet his bosses allow him to pay Terrence f'n Ross 11million per year?! I'm sorry but Masai has to be held accountable at some point, and that point has come now.
c

You're so angry that common sense be dammed. Nice.

Plz elaborate. What is the "common sense" your alluding to? Are you referring to mlse putting him on a tight leash? Is that the excuse your gonna use to defend him? Him giving Ross 11mill per throws that excuse out the window, and proves to many including myself that's he's not all that of a gm.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#120 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:56 am

WigginsNation wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
WigginsNation wrote:
Yet his bosses allow him to pay Terrence f'n Ross 11million per year?! I'm sorry but Masai has to be held accountable at some point, and that point has come now.
c

You're so angry that common sense be dammed. Nice.

Plz elaborate. What is the "common sense" your alluding to? Are you referring to mlse putting him on a tight leash? Is that the excuse your gonna use to defend him? Him giving Ross 11mill per throws that excuse out the window, and proves to many including myself that's he's not all that of a gm.

I'm not defending MU. But you can only hold him accountable for things within his control. And please don't attribute things to me I didn't write.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Raptors