ImageImageImageImageImage

Perspective

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Re: Perspective 

Post#21 » by Steelo Green » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:21 pm

People continuously say the same stuff. "We are the same as last year, blah blah blah"

Well, again, no we're not, and the numbers even prove the additions are making an impact and we are a different team on the whole.

Hell I don't think we have ever had a perfect backup PG, a swingman who can actually guard some of the best wings in the world, and smart veteran presences who make open mid range jumpers.

WE ARE THE SAME, YES WE ARE, SAME SAME SAME, gets annoying. Either speak regarding what's actually happening or not at all.

"First round exit, guaranteed, same problems as last year", is simply just baiting to get emotional responses or likes on posts vs actual discussion.

And no, this does not mean I think they are a contender.
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,045

Post#22 » by PurpleTrees » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:25 pm

The_Hater wrote:
PurpleTrees wrote:Need to ban the repetitive posters. We get it, you dont like the team.

Aren't most people repetitive with their opinions? The opposite of that is wishy-washy isn't it? Or do you just want the ones you don't agree with banned?

No, most people aren't this repetitive with their opinions. Its fine to say it once a while but as we have seen on here, its the same posters that keep repeating themselves and hijacking threads.
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#23 » by dalton749 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:35 pm

I hope being on the road that much to start the year has helped to boost the team chemistry, and with no hot start they aren't over confident.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,388

Post#24 » by Mikistan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:36 pm

People are still pointing at the regular season record as validation?

Yeah sure, and last year's team was the best Raptors in franchise history.
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#25 » by Steelo Green » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:37 pm

PurpleTrees wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
PurpleTrees wrote:Need to ban the repetitive posters. We get it, you dont like the team.

Aren't most people repetitive with their opinions? The opposite of that is wishy-washy isn't it? Or do you just want the ones you don't agree with banned?

No, most people aren't this repetitive with their opinions. Its fine to say it once a while but as we have seen on here, its the same posters that keep repeating themselves and hijacking threads.

Agreed, and those opinions go with the wind, ie win or loss.

A loss on RGM say even against the Warriors, is indicative of our future success in a 82 game season.

I wish people could look at things with perspective and holistically.
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#26 » by Steelo Green » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Mikistan wrote:People are still pointing at the regular season record as validation?

What about the other plethora of points made? ORTG? DRTG? SOS? Improved D? Changes to personnel? Shall I go on?
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#27 » by Latrell » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:46 pm

Mikistan wrote:People are still pointing at the regular season record as validation?

Well , the playoffs aren't here yet are they?

It's a discussion board, are we not allowed to discuss how the team is doing currently based on the season so far?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#28 » by The_Hater » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:49 pm

RaptorsFTL wrote:

What about the other plethora of points made? ORTG? DRTG? SOS? Improved D? Changes to personnel? Shall I go on?

All good points but of course the counter argument is the small sample size. i think the Raps have played well overall so far and the stats in the OP support that but the season is always full of peaks and valleys. And it doesn't necessarily mean that they're ready to compete with the elite of the EC. That appears to be the point that many of the detractors are trying to make. The Raps started red hot out of the gate last season too then posted a losing record the final 4 months and bowed out quietly in the playoffs.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#29 » by Steelo Green » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:05 pm

The_Hater wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:

All good points but of course the counter argument is the small sample size. i think the Raps have played well overall so far and the stats in the OP support that but the season is always full of peaks and valleys. And it doesn't necessarily mean that they're ready to compete with the elite of the EC. That appears to be the point that many of the detractors are trying to make. The Raps started red hot out of the gate last season too then posted a losing record the final 4 months and bowed out quietly in the playoffs.

I agree regarding the sample size to a degree, but what I vehemently argue is that this is a completely different team in the way they play on both sides of the ball, and they had some pretty big upgrades in certain areas.

Our D has regressed yes, bench scoring is down, but given that our D has improved so much, it was a trade off that was easily worth it.

I do think the O will pick up from the bench. Terrence isn't this bad of a player, he has just had a rough patch, and got injured right in the middle of it all. Plus CoJo is still hesitant to shoot the 3, even though I really believe he has the ability to do so.

You and I both know my friend how last year went with our O. The ISO ball isn't gone necessarily, but it has decreased, and the bench is different now with systematic offense and not those end of the quarter blow my mind threes by Lou every time.

Again, I think we are headed for more of a 2013-2014 type season, where we were better on both sides, and on the cusp of finally breaking out of the first round.

IIRC the Raptors were bottom 5-10 in D last year (again early this year, but even last season we were very poor on that side to start the year, unlike this year), and no team historically has won a round being that poor on that side of the ball.

We are a better equipped team for the post season, of course I am not dubbing this some finals contender, but I do believe we will go 6-7 games in a first round, depending on matchup, and could take at least one step forward.

Here's hoping, of course, I can't predict the future, but the signs are positive and a different positive than last season.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#30 » by sca » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm really mad that they still haven't won any 2016 play-off games.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#31 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:14 pm

Did you guys know CoJo is leading the team in % of finishes of ISOs? 5th in the L at 19.0%?? Why does he (edit: not) get the Lou treatment?? Both were/are highly efficient in them, despite the bulk??

Did you know that at .88OPPP ISO finishes is higher than PnR Ball/PostUps? And just .01 less than SpotUps (generally the most efficient of high volume finishes)??

Did you know last year in the POs, ISOs was one of 2 different (among 11) finishes the Raps actually improved on over their RS finishes?? And was a top team in them during the POs??

I dont know why ppl are so adverse to them, but carry on.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#32 » by bluerap23 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:18 pm

Does anyone believe this team is likely to win a round in the playoffs? There is a very good chance this team wins 50 games. There is also a very good chance they get swept in the first round.
The_Hater

Post#33 » by The_Hater » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:21 pm

RaptorsFTL wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:

I agree regarding the sample size to a degree, but what I vehemently argue is that this is a completely different team in the way they play on both sides of the ball, and they had some pretty big upgrades in certain areas.

Our D has regressed yes, bench scoring is down, but given that our D has improved so much, it was a trade off that was easily worth it.

I do think the O will pick up from the bench. Terrence isn't this bad of a player, he has just had a rough patch, and got injured right in the middle of it all. Plus CoJo is still hesitant to shoot the 3, even though I really believe he has the ability to do so.

You and I both know my friend how last year went with our O. The ISO ball isn't gone necessarily, but it has decreased, and the bench is different now with systematic offense and not those end of the quarter blow my mind threes by Lou every time.

Again, I think we are headed for more of a 2013-2014 type season, where we were better on both sides, and on the cusp of finally breaking out of the first round.

IIRC the Raptors were bottom 5-10 in D last year (again early this year, but even last season we were very poor on that side to start the year, unlike this year), and no team historically has won a round being that poor on that side of the ball.

We are a better equipped team for the post season, of course I am not dubbing this some finals contender, but I do believe we will go 6-7 games in a first round, depending on matchup, and could take at least one step forward.

Here's hoping, of course, I can't predict the future, but the signs are positive and a different positive than last season.

And your argument/opinion has people that don't agree with it. Overall, I don't think the talent is much different than last season, there's just more defensive minded players. I still don't think this team wins as many games as the they did the past 2 seasons.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#34 » by Steelo Green » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:33 pm

The_Hater wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

And your argument/opinion has people that don't agree with it. Overall, I don't think the talent is much different than last season, there's just more defensive minded players. I still don't think this team wins as many games as the they did the past 2 seasons.

It is entirely possible (also Edit I meant our O has regressed) they don't win as many games.

Talent level is an interesting point. Is Biyombo, Carroll, Scola, CoJo > Lou, Grieves, Amir? Well the former are having an impact, the latter, Amir is having an impact, Lou is a shadow of himself last year, Grieves has fallen off the map.

I think talent has improved, advanced stats would prove so. CoJo is better than both the PGs, Carroll has essentially replaced Ross which is a big improvement on the D, and he starting to come around on offense as he is recovering from his injury, Biyombo is all D, no O, and Scola is a vet big who is actually a really useful tool in our arsenal we never had.

Mix in with the growth of Jonas as well, which has to be included in talent, and I don't see how one thinks the talent base is relatively the same.

Also talent base doesn't necessarily equate to winning in the playoffs or winning games either.

I do think we are a better team going forward talent wise and for the playoffs, but I don't think it's unfair if people think the talent base is the same or we win less games. That's why it's a forum haha we have our own opinions and at the end of the day we're all hoping we make some strides in June.
The_Hater

Post#35 » by The_Hater » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:39 pm

RaptorsFTL wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:

It is entirely possible (also Edit I meant our O has regressed) they don't win as many games.

Talent level is an interesting point. Is Biyombo, Carroll, Scola, CoJo > Lou, Grieves, Amir? Well the former are having an impact, the latter, Amir is having an impact, Lou is a shadow of himself last year, Grieves has fallen off the map.

I think talent has improved, advanced stats would prove so. CoJo is better than both the PGs, Carroll has essentially replaced Ross which is a big improvement on the D, and he starting to come around on offense as he is recovering from his injury, Biyombo is all D, no O, and Scola is a vet big who is actually a really useful tool in our arsenal we never had.

Mix in with the growth of Jonas as well, which has to be included in talent, and I don't see how one thinks the talent base is relatively the same.

Also talent base doesn't necessarily equate to winning in the playoffs or winning games either.

I do think we are a better team going forward talent wise and for the playoffs, but I don't think it's unfair if people think the talent base is the same or we win less games. That's why it's a forum haha we have our own opinions and at the end of the day we're all hoping we make some strides in June.

15 games of advanced stats doesn't prove the talent is better. That's a pretty big reach. We're still at a point where 1-2 games can cause huge fluctuations in any team stat.

I also think that many have forgetten the Raps started 24-7 last season and people were actually starting threads that 60 wins were in play. And we all know how that ended. I think it's always smart not to overrate or underrate players or teams based on small sample sizes. It's a long season full of ups and downs.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
omar36
Analyst
And1: 4,708

Post#36 » by omar36 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:19 pm

JackedFinancier wrote:
omar36 wrote:perspective about what? this team wont make any noise in the playoffs which most of us care for.

the offense has no movement once again and will be the reason we will be out in the first round.
f that offense stat, seriously. we were what top 5 last year? look at how far that got us against the wizards when it came time to play tighter D. we are so fkin predictable.
give or take, the teams we will face in the first will be bulls/heat/hawks. no way we could beat the heat/bulls cause their star power will negate all the calls demar usually gets and frankly they are much better.

hawks are our best chance but even then, they play as a team and will likely kill us in 5/6.

....Says the Official Tank Nation Leader of Toronto (See Sig).

although i thank you for the compliment, the leader of tank nation is probably danchan or someone who has been on the tank for years
i have just recently given up hope and and seen the light :wink:

but seriously, what is so special about this team? they have improved sure but so has the east.
Alasen
Banned User
And1: 4,080

Post#37 » by Alasen » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:49 pm

I honestly dont care what this teams stats are during the regular season, or how many wins they end up with or what their Offense and Defense is ranked at. The fact remains that this team lacks the TALENT to make any kind of noise in the playoffs and everyone here knows this. Until this team gets a legit Superstar we will forever be mired in mediocrity and be seen as the playoff fodder that every team in the East will be salivating to play against in the 1st round. Posting meaningless statistics 15 games into the season isn't going to change anyones "Perspective" on that cold hard truth.
MVP-
Starter
And1: 2,394

Post#38 » by MVP- » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:05 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:Did you guys know CoJo is leading the team in % of finishes of ISOs? 5th in the L at 19.0%?? Why does he (edit: not) get the Lou treatment?? Both were/are highly efficient in them, despite the bulk??

Did you know that at .88OPPP ISO finishes is higher than PnR Ball/PostUps? And just .01 less than SpotUps (generally the most efficient of high volume finishes)??

Did you know last year in the POs, ISOs was one of 2 different (among 11) finishes the Raps actually improved on over their RS finishes?? And was a top team in them during the POs??

I dont know why ppl are so adverse to them, but carry on.

People here are pretty stupid. They just don't wanna see DD/Lowry ISO, they wanna see JV do it.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,190

Post#39 » by Tofubeque » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:15 pm

I have no idea how this team has a top-10 offense, honestly. We have no 3 point shooting most nights and go through huge dry spells. How many times have we been held to like 15 points in a quarter?

But hey, I don't watch all 29 other teams. Maybe everyone starts the year off shooting poorly (except the Warriors)
props Turbozone
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,561

Post#40 » by DG88 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:54 pm

Tofubeque wrote:I have no idea how this team has a top-10 offense, honestly. We have no 3 point shooting most nights and go through huge dry spells. How many times have we been held to like 15 points in a quarter?

But hey, I don't watch all 29 other teams. Maybe everyone starts the year off shooting poorly (except the Warriors)

They score efficiently in the paint and get to the free throw line at a high rate as well.

Return to Toronto Raptors