ImageImageImageImageImage

Has DeRozan played himself out of a max contract?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Will anyone offer DeRozan a max contract?

Hell yeah. His regular season #s don't lie & teams will ignore playoff "anomaly"
53%
No way .
47%

Total votes: 393

Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,436

Re: Has DeRozan played himself out of a max contract? 

Post#261 » by Rapsfan07 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:49 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
ciueli wrote:Here is the basic math for what bringing DeMar back would mean.

Current guaranteed contracts for 2016-2017:

DeMarre Carroll $14,200,000
Kyle Lowry $12,000,000
Cory Joseph $7,315,000
Patrick Patterson $6,050,000
Jonas Valanciunas $14,382,023
Terrence Ross $10,000,000
Lucas Nogueira $1,921,320
Bruno Caboclo $1,589,640
Delon Wright $1,577,280
Norman Powell $874,636

Total = $69,909,899

So basically $70M. Add in two draft picks this year, say the 9th and 26th which adds around $2.6M and $1.2M respectively and the total is up to around $74M.

The salary cap for 2016-2017 is projected to be $92M, which would leave the Raptors with about $18M in cap space. DeMar's cap hold is $15M so the team effectively doesn't have cap space if the goal is to retain him short of dumping other contracts.

But lets assume the Raptors sign DeMar to a 5 year max contract, which will start at around $25.8M. New total = $100M

Then lets assume that the Raptors use the full Mid-Level exception on Bismack Biyombo or another player (or players). New total = $105.6M.

The luxury tax is going to be around $110M, so the team is pushing up against the tax already, just in the first year of DeMar's mammoth deal.

Then look at 2017-2018. The Raptors have Kyle Lowry and Patrick Patterson expiring, plus raises for almost everyone on the team. The financials look something like:

DeMar DeRozan $27,700,000
DeMarre Carroll $14,800,000
Cory Joseph $7,630,000
Jonas Valanciunas $15,460,675
Terrence Ross $10,500,000
Lucas Nogueira $2,947,305
Bruno Caboclo $2,451,225
Delon Wright $1,645,200
Norman Powell $1,014,746
9th Pick in 2016 draft $2,730,000
26th Pick in 2016 draft $1,286,160
Player at MLE $5,850,000

Total = $94,015,311

Add in two late first round draft picks (say $3M total), and cap holds for Lowry and Patterson ($18M and $9M respectively) and again the Raptors have no salary cap space (theoretical 108M cap). Resign Kyle Lowry to anything close to a max contract ($25M or more) and Pat to something in the $10M range (he might even get a bigger offer than that) and the Total = $132M.

Which is above what the Luxury tax level is projected to be in 2017-2018 ($128M), putting the Raptors in the position of having to dump contracts just to avoid the luxury tax.

To sum up, trying to keep all of DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, Cory Joseph, Jonas Valanciunas, Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson and DeMarre Carroll is going to be prohibitively expensive long term. By 2017-2018, just those seven players will likely cost well in excess of $110M. It's important to think hard right now about who is a key player on the team and who isn't because decisions made this offseason will have important long term implications.

Good post. I don't think we can afford him either. It probably also means we will not be maxing Lowry at his age when his deal expires.

Agreed, very good post. I've been thinking about this team from a financial perspective a lot too lately with DeMar's free agency looming. Couple of things though:

1. You mentioned us not being able to afford DeMar. Technically we can. We have his Bird Rights that allow us to go over the cap to re-sign him so that won't be a problem.

2. I'm not too worried about having to pay the tax. A vast majority of title winners are almost always paying the tax and especially being a team that isn't exactly a free agent hotspot, that is one bullet we will have to be prepared to bite if we do ever want to build a title contender. I'm absolutely not advocating signing guys to absurd contracts but I think it's likely that we'll have to pay tax to get to where we want to go.

However, I completely agreed on DeRozan. From the day Masai locked up Carroll at $60M/4yrs, it was clear that some big changes are coming. We have all our guys as cheap as they're going to come and we're still struggling against the Pacers. It's become obvious we're missing some thing(s). So if we truly want to compete on the big stage, we simply CANNOT afford to pay DeRozan anything close to the max, come what may. The cap won't stay high forever so like I said before, the teams that over pay this summer are the future treadmillers of the league. However DeMar is an all-star SG in a league shallow with SG talent so teams will be interested. It'll be up to Masai to sit DeMar down and tell him the truth and see where it goes from now. But one things for certain - the team as currently constructed is NOT going to work financially and I don't think it takes us to to the ECF, much less the Finals. My guess is there is going to be a lot of big salary moving this summer. Masai needs to make his move now depending on what DeMar does.

If DeMar wants to stay here for a MAX amount of $90-100M/5yrs, I'd be okay with that. Anything more and it might just be best to S&T him or let him walk and move on. Since Lowry is expiring next summer as well, might as well move him too and just rebuild.You just can win big on a team with DeRozan making the max unless you draft the next Lebron James.

If we can get DeRozan to agree to those terms then we can package Ross, Cojo, Bebe and the 9th pick to the Hawks for a S&T'd Horford ($100M/4yrs). This is a good way to salary and lesser talent into a 3rd star. I would also look at moving JV to Boston for some picks, role players and expiring deals so we can open up some capspace for next year when we have to pay Lowry and Patterson. We can then turn those picks and the ones we already have into a guy like Dieng who's young and cheap, Covington etc.

Point is, Masai should be doing a lot of wheeling and dealing. It's the only way for us to have a contender at this point but the tax is inevitable. Especially with the new market and the competition in the market for certain skillsets or certain players. It's going to be virtually impossible not to overpay but we want to avoid it as much as we can
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#262 » by Mister Ze » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:01 am

If Demar was to leave after the off-season, the fans have no reason to "boo" him but rather cheer if anything. Let him play for his home city like anyone else would and tell him to take his magical disappearing act in the post-season elsewhere.
Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,894

Post#263 » by Merit » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:57 am

ciueli wrote:Here is the basic math for what bringing DeMar back would mean.

Current guaranteed contracts for 2016-2017:

DeMarre Carroll $14,200,000
Kyle Lowry $12,000,000
Cory Joseph $7,315,000
Patrick Patterson $6,050,000
Jonas Valanciunas $14,382,023
Terrence Ross $10,000,000
Lucas Nogueira $1,921,320
Bruno Caboclo $1,589,640
Delon Wright $1,577,280
Norman Powell $874,636

Total = $69,909,899

So basically $70M. Add in two draft picks this year, say the 9th and 26th which adds around $2.6M and $1.2M respectively and the total is up to around $74M.

The salary cap for 2016-2017 is projected to be $92M, which would leave the Raptors with about $18M in cap space. DeMar's cap hold is $15M so the team effectively doesn't have cap space if the goal is to retain him short of dumping other contracts.

But lets assume the Raptors sign DeMar to a 5 year max contract, which will start at around $25.8M. New total = $100M

Then lets assume that the Raptors use the full Mid-Level exception on Bismack Biyombo or another player (or players). New total = $105.6M.

The luxury tax is going to be around $110M, so the team is pushing up against the tax already, just in the first year of DeMar's mammoth deal.

Then look at 2017-2018. The Raptors have Kyle Lowry and Patrick Patterson expiring, plus raises for almost everyone on the team. The financials look something like:

DeMar DeRozan $27,700,000
DeMarre Carroll $14,800,000
Cory Joseph $7,630,000
Jonas Valanciunas $15,460,675
Terrence Ross $10,500,000
Lucas Nogueira $2,947,305
Bruno Caboclo $2,451,225
Delon Wright $1,645,200
Norman Powell $1,014,746
9th Pick in 2016 draft $2,730,000
26th Pick in 2016 draft $1,286,160
Player at MLE $5,850,000

Total = $94,015,311

Add in two late first round draft picks (say $3M total), and cap holds for Lowry and Patterson ($18M and $9M respectively) and again the Raptors have no salary cap space (theoretical 108M cap). Resign Kyle Lowry to anything close to a max contract ($25M or more) and Pat to something in the $10M range (he might even get a bigger offer than that) and the Total = $132M.

Which is above what the Luxury tax level is projected to be in 2017-2018 ($128M), putting the Raptors in the position of having to dump contracts just to avoid the luxury tax.

To sum up, trying to keep all of DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, Cory Joseph, Jonas Valanciunas, Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson and DeMarre Carroll is going to be prohibitively expensive long term. By 2017-2018, just those seven players will likely cost well in excess of $110M. It's important to think hard right now about who is a key player on the team and who isn't because decisions made this offseason will have important long term implications.

So help me out here for a second:

1) Demar's cap hold is less than what he's likely to re-sign for
2) this creates cap room of approx. 18 million
3) we have Demar's bird rights

can we not sign another free agent (AL HORFORD!) with the $18 million cap space (giving al horford a signing bonus if necessary or very easily achievable bonuses to make his salary competitive) and after signing that free agent, sign Demar using his bird rights?

or is there something I'm missing here?
I believe in Masai.
Skeezo
Analyst
And1: 2,737

Post#264 » by Skeezo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:52 am

Rapsfan07 wrote:
If DeMar wants to stay here for a MAX amount of $90-100M/5yrs, I'd be okay with that. Anything more and it might just be best to S&T him or let him walk and move on. Since Lowry is expiring next summer as well, might as well move him too and just rebuild.You just can win big on a team with DeRozan making the max unless you draft the next Lebron James.

I'm right about where you are in terms of dollars to DeRozan, 18-20m per is what is AVV should be... However, the problem is how to make it acceptable when competing with a max offer which someone will be stupid enough to offer... Likely will need to bump offer higher to compete. The most aggressive package that a team can offer to try to pry DD away is:

4yr/110.5m (25.8m 1st yr salary with 4.5% raises)... This would also include a player option on the 4th year. Gives DeRozan the power to seek a true max deal (35% of cap) at his 10yr mark.

After those 3yrs prior to opt out, DD will have earned 81m... I can't believe Paul "Friggin" George is making 38m over the next two years, K.Leonard & K.Thompson 54-56m over the next 3 years, while DeRozan will make 53m after 2 yrs or 81m after 3yrs. How a GM can rationalize that behaviour of spending I have no idea...

Anyways, I think basement level when competing with a max level offer would be 5yrs/127m with an early termination after the 3rd year... It gives DD security of an extra year and 17m in guaranteed money from what anyone else can offer, while still allowing him the same opt out after 3yrs... For the Raps, it gets paid out as (25m/25m/25m/26m/26m)... Over those 3yrs Raps paid 73m, rather than 81m which is still a savings for the Raps... If DD doesn't opt out, it means he obviously has not lived up to his contract and 26m on the backend is much better than 31m on the final years...

To me that's best case scenario at getting DD on a discount and I still think its probably a bad deal...
MS13
Veteran
And1: 4,496

Post#265 » by MS13 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:57 am

Master Ze wrote:If Demar was to leave after the off-season, the fans have no reason to "boo" him but rather cheer if anything. Let him play for his home city like anyone else would and tell him to take his magical disappearing act in the post-season elsewhere.

He's pretty much safe in LA because that team isn't going to the playoffs the next few years.
becausephilchow
Sixth Man
And1: 1,272

Post#266 » by becausephilchow » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:47 am

Merit wrote:So help me out here for a second:

can we not sign another free agent (AL HORFORD!) with the $18 million cap space (giving al horford a signing bonus if necessary or very easily achievable bonuses to make his salary competitive) and after signing that free agent, sign Demar using his bird rights?

You'd have to renounce DeMar's Cap Hold to sign another FA with that money, thus, we would no longer have his Bird Rights, and would not be able to go over the cap to sign him.

The only reason why CLE was able to go so deep into the tax with their team, is because they held the Bird Rights to all those player(s) they extended.
Pass it
Rookie
And1: 883

Post#267 » by Pass it » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:20 am

right between the eyes wrote:Lol at one of our assistant coaches being 3 places behind Demar.. I can only imagine what Stack is telling demar in practice

No need to imagine, here's a quote from Stackhouse, in the OP's post. http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1439251
Vince_Carter15
Pro Prospect
And1: 862

Post#268 » by Vince_Carter15 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:30 am

becausephilchow wrote:

You'd have to renounce DeMar's Cap Hold to sign another FA with that money, thus, we would no longer have his Bird Rights, and would not be able to go over the cap to sign him.

The only reason why CLE was able to go so deep into the tax with their team, is because they held the Bird Rights to all those player(s) they extended.

This is where assets come into play. You trade Ross + some of the young assets or picks coming up for Millsap. Its really duable. Just got to wait for the first player that fits into 'our' system to become available. And Norm can take TR's minutes. With other guys stepping up in the role of the guys that leave, or even Cojo potentially. Not that I want either gone, they are just more movable now that we have proper replacements in place.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#269 » by navyblue » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:22 am

i was open to giving dd near the max to keep him rather than lose an asset for nothing, but the playoffs have changed my mind. i always felt he had to work too hard to score his points. with powells emergence and dd struggles i am open to letting him walk barring a massive discount.
alpngso
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,341

Post#270 » by alpngso » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:37 am

he's gonna get a max deal if he hits the market no matter what. maybe not with the raptors, but he's gonna get it.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#271 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:51 am

Vince_Carter15 wrote:
becausephilchow wrote:

This is where assets come into play. You trade Ross + some of the young assets or picks coming up for Millsap. Its really duable. Just got to wait for the first player that fits into 'our' system to become available. And Norm can take TR's minutes. With other guys stepping up in the role of the guys that leave, or even Cojo potentially. Not that I want either gone, they are just more movable now that we have proper replacements in place.

I guess it all depends on how important it is to "protect assets". Do you invest $100 (conservative) to make an asset almost untradeable? I think DD would be a Raptor for life if we max him. If he saw value in 4 years at 18 and a team option for a 5th year the Raps would bite I'm sure. Would his agent ever play ball for a significant Raptor discount? For 72 million? I have my doubts so the probability for a respectful and friendly divorce is at least 50/50 odds. Not sure what the cost is to the team's rep letting him walk. In other words Toronto continues to be a cheap, endorsement unfriendly, cold hell with high taxes etc. sink hole. That means always overpaying for free agents which bears its own costs. Does Demar actually help attract free agents and how many good players have to be dumped for us to be players in the market once he is maxed? Is his market situation a rock and hard place trap with no happy ending either way?
Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Post#272 » by Gold Dragon » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:09 am

I think a 4 year near max contract with minimal raises and team options after the 2nd year would be a very tradeable asset even if Demar does not progress beyond what he is now. It gives you an opportunity to trade him after his first year for an equally expensive player with only one further year of guaranteed commitment even if he substantially regresses. This would make him a great sign and trade piece for someone in the 2017-18 free agent session. All the good players will be demanding 25-35 million so you need a big contract to go back in return.

That extra year will be significant for the Raptors to develop and integrate a replacement like Powell as well as to make a decision on the Kyle-DD combo as a whole. It also dispells that stigma that we can't resign our own free agents.
becausephilchow
Sixth Man

Post#273 » by becausephilchow » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:04 pm

Gold Dragon wrote:I think a 4 year near max contract with minimal raises and team options after the 2nd year would be a very tradeable asset even if Demar does not progress beyond what he is now. It gives you an opportunity to trade him after his first year for an equally expensive player with only one further year of guaranteed commitment even if he substantially regresses. This would make him a great sign and trade piece for someone in the 2017-18 free agent session. All the good players will be demanding 25-35 million so you need a big contract to go back in return.

That extra year will be significant for the Raptors to develop and integrate a replacement like Powell as well as to make a decision on the Kyle-DD combo as a whole. It also dispells that stigma that we can't resign our own free agents.

Don't think you can have a Team Option in the middle, or something like that.

That would essentially be a 2-Year Contract guaranteed. Team Options means it's not guaranteed at all.
Vince_Carter15
Pro Prospect
And1: 862

Post#274 » by Vince_Carter15 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:09 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Vince_Carter15 wrote:
becausephilchow wrote:

I guess it all depends on how important it is to "protect assets". Do you invest $100 (conservative) to make an asset almost untradeable? I think DD would be a Raptor for life if we max him. If he saw value in 4 years at 18 and a team option for a 5th year the Raps would bite I'm sure. Would his agent ever play ball for a significant Raptor discount? For 72 million? I have my doubts so the probability for a respectful and friendly divorce is at least 50/50 odds. Not sure what the cost is to the team's rep letting him walk. In other words Toronto continues to be a cheap, endorsement unfriendly, cold hell with high taxes etc. sink hole. That means always overpaying for free agents which bears its own costs. Does Demar actually help attract free agents and how many good players have to be dumped for us to be players in the market once he is maxed? Is his market situation a rock and hard place trap with no happy ending either way?

Some valid points but don't think Demar is coming for that cheap. It's risky like you said, might not end well.
You have to look at it this way, we retained all our assets to this point and have almost no advantages of not re-signing Demar. Unless you truly believe he is a negative, which he isn't. So if we go into tax, it should only be relevant to our owners and Masai (more pressure to perform if he does). DD will not sign for cheap, if its not max, it will be very very close to it. Which means we will be over the cap limit and hope we can re-sign Biyombo at the same time. My opinion on this is, retain all the assets we can unless two things 1) We are better without the asset 2) Long term flexibility (We are committed with Carroll and others over the next two years. Don know exactly. Plus Demar is only 26 years old) 3)If we actually had cap space to spend on someone, but we all know Biyombo is re-signing.

Re-sign Demar, trade some pieces to give Norman some minutes and acquire a big PF. Like Millsap. Lowry, Demar, Carroll, Millsap, Val.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#275 » by djsunyc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:14 pm

i really dont care about the contract numbers. i care more about his role and his position on the team. i think it very obvious that we need to start minimising it but i dont think that will happen as long as lowry and casey are still here.
becausephilchow
Sixth Man

Post#276 » by becausephilchow » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:20 pm

Why is everybody so sure Biyombo is re-signing? We can only offer him the MLE. Which is around 5M/Yr.

He will make that EASILY on the open market, if not even more than that. He's shown he can be a defensive anchor. Sure, he's not great on the offensive end, but he's improved on that end too.

On the high end, I could see him making near 10M/Yr with how many teams have cap space.

Let me tell you, would you take a 50% paycut for ANYBODY in this world? I don't think so.

The best we can do, is to resign Biyombo the the MLE for 2-Years, to regain his Bird Rights, and then extend him with a long term contract. Though, what happens if he gets hurt? It's a lot for him to risk.

Resigning DD, means we have a very good chance of losing Biyombo. There is no feasible way to keep both DD and Biyombo on their "Market Value" contracts. Simply because DD will want too much.
bonbons
Pro Prospect
And1: 948

Post#277 » by bonbons » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:37 pm

F you BC! If you didn't force feed him down our throats for years we wouldn't be in this spot. Now its up to masai, if he maxes him out, I might be done with the raptors. Derozan is just such a terrible player, I don't understand how people think hes good. How can you watch Kobe v0.1 and think hes good? Do people not watch good nba teams? Go watch GS or SAS, Derozan would never play a single minute in their rotation. If you go on reddit I swear at least half of the raptors fans there are still saying "oh hes an allstar!', "he can't get any worse, can he?", "He loves TORONTO!" , "Him and lowry are bff's, we need to max him and make sure he retires as a raptor!", "OMG Derozan passed Vince for scoring, best raptor of all time?" . Anybody who is still defending him literally knows nothing about basketball.
wtcantfw
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,578

Post#278 » by wtcantfw » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:01 pm

A little birdy at MLSE told me the Raptors are budgeting to be a luxury tax team next year. Whether or not that includes re-signing DD, expect some moves.
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,918

Post#279 » by lolwut » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:50 pm

Beatbox wrote:A little birdy at MLSE told me the Raptors are budgeting to be a luxury tax team next year. Whether or not that includes re-signing DD, expect some moves.

2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
6moomoo6
Pro Prospect
And1: 995

Post#280 » by 6moomoo6 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Can't see DeMar taking a discount. This will be his only chance at a big max contract, unless you really think an early 30s DeMar whose game rely solely on slashing is going to warrant another max after this one. I'm willing to bet anything that as long as he has a max offer from another team to fall back on, he'll be juicing every dollar he can from Masai.

Return to Toronto Raptors