ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Reaction If Masai Does "Nothing" This Off-Season

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,785

Post#1 » by Zeno » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:57 pm

By nothing, I mean drafting BPA at #9, stashing the #27 pick, resigning Demar, letting BB walk and using available capspace/MLE for value signings reminiscent of the Scola one last off-season after striking out on big names. Then beating the "internal growth/Raptors905" drum.

Personally, I would be disappointed and think that the time is now for Masai to force his gm game a little and "throw up a few ill-advised shots".
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Re: Your Reaction If Masai Does "Nothing" This Off-Season 

Post#2 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:02 pm

I'd be cool with it so long as DeMar comes back a 37% 3pt shooter on decent volume, and they increase Jonas' usage. How likely is either though? Need to ask Dwane that.
Micrew18
Junior
And1: 154

Post#3 » by Micrew18 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 pm

No time for your realistic hypotheticals.. Draft in 2.5 hours, irrational dreaming must continue!!
scopy
General Manager
And1: 16,421

Post#4 » by scopy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:04 pm

Zeno wrote:By nothing, I mean drafting BPA at #9, stashing the #27 pick, resigning Demar, letting BB walk and using available capspace/MLE for value signings reminiscent of the Scola one last off-season after striking out on big names. Then beating the "internal growth/Raptors905" drum.

Personally, I would be disappointed and think that the time is now for Masai to force his gm game a little and "throw up a few ill-advised shots".

I think he's played it pretty safe so far besides the Bruno pick.

I definitely think he is going to push hard for something big this offseason. That ECF run, the small window, I think he will do something.

I will be very surprised if nothing major happens.
Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#5 » by Indiana Jones » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:05 pm

I'd always be aggressive and try to win now, no matter what, so I'd be hugely disappointed if we didn't capitalize on our recent run by adding more top level talent, even if that means mortgaging our future a bit. Might as well go for it when you can.
Rozan
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#6 » by Rozan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:06 pm

pretty disappointed
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#7 » by dagger » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:09 pm

I would expect one trade: If DD is back then the need to keep Ross diminishes somewhat. One assumes improvement from Powell, and good health - at least to start - from Carroll. So I am not expecting the OP's scenario unless Carroll's health is in doubt. Right now, at least, he seems to be doing well.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Zeno
RealGM

Post#8 » by Zeno » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:11 pm

scopy wrote:
Zeno wrote:By nothing, I mean drafting BPA at #9, stashing the #27 pick, resigning Demar, letting BB walk and using available capspace/MLE for value signings reminiscent of the Scola one last off-season after striking out on big names. Then beating the "internal growth/Raptors905" drum.

I think he's played it pretty safe so far besides the Bruno pick.

I definitely think he is going to push hard for something big this offseason. That ECF run, the small window, I think he will do something.

I will be very surprised if nothing major happens.

Yes, I agree, but most were pretty sure he'd do something at the deadline. and then nothing...which was actually quite shocking. I now pretty much expect Masai to hedge his bets with every move he makes.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#9 » by Double Helix » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:12 pm

The last time we had one of these panic threads on his inactivity we ended up going to the ECF.

Masai is better than us. He's better than most. In Masai we trust.
Troubadour
RealGM
And1: 8,192

Post#10 » by Troubadour » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:14 pm

I would assume it's because there was nothing worth doing.
kirkwood
Starter
And1: 1,718

Post#11 » by kirkwood » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:15 pm

Well as a gm you have to know when your talent has reached it's peak and you have to relize that peak is not going to beat the elite. It's time to make a significant move to be able to compete for a title, guys like Lowry probably only have two good years left and the era ends.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Zeno
RealGM

Post#12 » by Zeno » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:16 pm

dagger wrote:I would expect one trade: If DD is back then the need to keep Ross diminishes somewhat. One assumes improvement from Powell, and good health - at least to start - from Carroll. So I am not expecting the OP's scenario unless Carroll's health is in doubt. Right now, at least, he seems to be doing well.

Yes, a Ross trade seems somewhat likely so if added to this scenario above, it might be called "next to nothing",(unless of course Masai manages to get some unexpected amazing value in return for Ross).

Please advise….

Dan G.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#13 » by navyblue » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:16 pm

blake griffin kind of big move or do nothing(asset collecting/building) are the only 2 options for me. anything is the middle (thad young like trade) would not a a good direction for the team.
Banjax
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,442

Post#14 » by Banjax » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:17 pm

EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#15 » by EJaggit » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:19 pm

Disappointing. Masai is Masai for a reason- he sees a weakness of the team during the season... And he strengthens it during the off season with bargains. He's gotta do something about the PF situation, because that's clearly something we lack. Paul Millsap or Ibaka, upgrade has to be done. Even Kevin DURANT would suffice. He's got to make moves, it's not likely we go into the new season without some positives moving forward (besides resigning DeKobe that is)
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,388

Re: Your Reaction If Masai Does 

Post#16 » by Mikistan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:19 pm

Double Helix wrote:The last time we had one of these panic threads on his inactivity we ended up going to the ECF.

I mean its also his full time job and life-line for $$$$.

But nonethless, what he is doing is putting the pressure on the players to succeed, develop and win (for him indirectly).

It's crafty, its savvy, its patient. And in an industry where guys get 10s of millions to have a lot of free time, its probably right of him. Sounds like the players are all protected by the unions so they get guaranteed money, and everytime something goes bad, management fires coaches and GMs. It ain't right!!!!
Zeno
RealGM

Re: Your Reaction If Masai Does 

Post#17 » by Zeno » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:25 pm

Double Helix wrote:The last time we had one of these panic threads on his inactivity we ended up going to the ECF.

There is no panac or panic at all. I know Masai is better than me at this. I'd be fool if I didn't, but Masai didn't not make moves at the deadline because he thought he had a team that could get to the ECFs. He didn't act because it wasn't worth acting for what was out there. He actually reportedly thought action was necessary. We have no idea what was out there or what is out there. We are completely in the dark and so we speculate. This isn't arrogance, this boredom. If you wish I can end each post with the stipulation "....but what do I know, I have no clue." if you'd like.

Please advise….

Dan G.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#18 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Surprise and some disappointment.

I expect at least one rotation player in addition to Scola won't be back next year.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
nitrous
General Manager
And1: 11,470

Post#19 » by nitrous » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:30 pm

If we can't land a meaningful upgrade at PF and trade Ross for someone useful I will be very disappointed.
load management
Analyst
And1: 1,871

Post#20 » by load management » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:44 pm

**** the Tony Brothers

Return to Toronto Raptors