ImageImageImageImageImage

JaJo: Jakob & Jonas a better version of Kanter & Adams?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Re: JaJo: Jakob & Jonas a better version of Kanter & Adams? 

Post#41 » by pbj » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:45 pm

TheGoodDoctor wrote:As long as Casey stays away from Jakob with his Rudy Gay bulking diet, he should be able to play 4.

I have the impression that we've learned our lesson after Jonas lost weight during his injury this season and came back looking much better (I recall some Raptors people acknowledging that).

The new NBA strongly favours lighter, more mobile bigs even if it means giving up some OREBs here and there
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#42 » by [SJJ] » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:48 pm

pbj wrote:
TheGoodDoctor wrote:As long as Casey stays away from Jakob with his Rudy Gay bulking diet, he should be able to play 4.

I have the impression that we've learned our lesson after Jonas lost weight during his injury this season and came back looking much better (I recall some Raptors people acknowledging that).

The new NBA strongly favours lighter, more mobile bigs even if it means giving up some OREBs here and there

Thank Christ if that's actually the case. The dirty bulk worked out terribly for both Andrea and Jonas.

Put Jakob on a Stronglift 5x5 and feed him 30 chicken breasts a day with brown rice. He'll be looking like his famous Austrian counterpart in no time!
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by pbj » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:51 pm

[SJJ] wrote:
pbj wrote:

Thank Christ if that's actually the case. The dirty bulk worked out terribly for both Andrea and Jonas.

Put Jakob on a Stronglift 5x5 and feed him 30 chicken breasts a day with brown rice. He'll be looking like his famous Austrian counterpart in no time!

Lol 5x5 and GOMAD - he'll be looking like your typical r/fitness centaur in no time. All legs, no upper body and 25% BF!
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#44 » by ruckus » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:51 pm

Sampson/Olajuwon
Robinson/Duncan
Valanciunas/Poetl

:D

Zwillingstürme

Bokštai Dvyniai
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#45 » by [SJJ] » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:53 pm

pbj wrote:
[SJJ] wrote:
pbj wrote:Thank Christ if that's actually the case. The dirty bulk worked out terribly for both Andrea and Jonas.

Lol 5x5 and GOMAD - he'll be looking like your typical r/fitness centaur in no time. All legs, no upper body and 25% BF!

GOMAD is one of the grossest things I've ever heard of. I can't believe people actually put their bodies through that.
Wraps_fan
Analyst
And1: 5,735

Post#46 » by Wraps_fan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:00 pm

Screamshock wrote:
Wraps_fan wrote:Poeltl has what Jonas lacks, but he's also more complete offensively than Biyombo

Poeltl can pass, dribble a bit, amazing speed for a C (which is why asking him to be a PF isn't a crazy idea). Better defender than JV when it comes to the pick and roll and help defense, though he does get bullied in the post. Great hands too, can catch the ball very nicely

A lot of the skills that makes Poeltl a good prospect are skills that teams look for in a power forward. Obviously Poeltl doesn't have the jump shot that PFs should have but watching his draft workout videos, he has a solid jump shot from mid range, maybe Utah just didn't want him to be out there, which is completely understandable.

He's similar, but also very different than Jonas, he's sort of like how Jonas was when he was drafted though, a quick C with high mobility and ferocious rebounder

A was waiting for "Now we can trade JV" in the end of your post..

No, I'm not one of those morons that think we can only have 1 good player at the C spot
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by pbj » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:23 pm

[SJJ] wrote:
pbj wrote:
[SJJ] wrote:

GOMAD is one of the grossest things I've ever heard of. I can't believe people actually put their bodies through that.

No argument here.. I never even liked milk as a kid, I can't imagine having to force drink large amounts. I'm sure I would vomit it all our every day
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#48 » by Mister Ze » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:43 pm

pbj wrote:

Yeah after watching the playoffs It's pretty clear that a big mans pick and roll defense is crucial when he switches up on guards.

Look at Enes Kanter for instance. He came into the league at 260 and OKC managed to slim him down to play the 4 position, but he's still not quick enough to switch up on guards.

I think it's no wonder that Mozgov didn't play and the Cavs went with Thompson who did a stellar job on Curry when he got switched.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,578

Post#49 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:53 pm

Love Yayo. Soft Js for days.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,670

Post#50 » by G R E Y » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:07 pm

Side note, but in fairness to VAL, he USED to be fast and athletic until they dirty bulked him into a plodding lump, which he has since been trying to recover from. He was a very bouncy and agile looking rookie. Jakob is a bit more fluid akin to Bargs, but lets not forget how VAL got the physique he did. This was not the player we drafted.

As to the point about this being our OKC version, Adams is so far in a league of his own in terms of toughness, although I really like that VAL doesn't back down. We've yet to see what mettle Jakob is made of, but I like our maximizing strengths of tall, strong, tenacious. Seems like rather than following the small ball trend, we're creating our own mold. I like it a lot.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
pop-vlado
Bench Warmer
And1: 266

Post#51 » by pop-vlado » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:10 pm

I am a propenent of him being a back up C. He is just not quick enough to gaurd the smaller PF of today's NBA. However, as a back up C he adds an element to the team which we don't have at the C spot - the ability to stretch the floor while still keeping a presence in the paint. That being said, I'd still rather have a player like Biyombo at the back up C. Our C spot with Val and Jakob would lack athleticism and defense. Biyombo was a great option when we teams went to the small ball line up.
kwamebargnani
General Manager
And1: 2,479

Post#52 » by kwamebargnani » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:39 pm

djsunyc wrote:i like to think that regardless of who's on the floor, poeltl or turtle, we can run the same offensive sets and utilize both in the post to the elbow the same way.

Poeltl & Turtl. I like this.
Naysorn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,210

Post#53 » by Naysorn » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:12 pm

So hyped for next season. I'm having visions of us beating the Cavs in 7.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Post#54 » by hankscorpioLA » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:26 pm

If everyone else decides to zig, that's usually the time to zag.

Right now everyone is looking to go small and focus on the 3.

But it wasn't too long ago that having 2 7 footers in your starting lineup was considered a very good thing.
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#55 » by hankscorpioLA » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:28 pm

pop-vlado wrote:He is just not quick enough to gaurd the smaller PF of today's NBA.

And they are too small to guard him.

It can go both ways.
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Re: Re: JaJo: Jakob & Jonas a better version of Kanter & Adams? 

Post#56 » by CrookedJ » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:16 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:If everyone else decides to zig, that's usually the time to zag.

But it wasn't too long ago that having 2 7 footers in your starting lineup was considered a very good thing.

Agreed 100%. Let's look at options to play big and bully teams.

Smallball is getting too expensive. Barnes gonna make max as a 4....yikes. Bigs now undervalued - Poeltl would have been top 5 a few years ago.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Pooh_Jeter
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,648

Post#57 » by Pooh_Jeter » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:19 pm

The Kanter/Adams lineup wasn't something the Thunder regularly used, it worked wonders in a very specific match-up against the Spurs who really had no guards who could punish them off the dribble and really expose Kanter defensively. Also, Steven Adams is tough, but a lot of you are underplaying just how good he is defensively. He cleaned up a ton of mistakes near the rim and neither JV or Poetl are in his league defensively. Adams even fared well when he was isolated on the perimeter against Steph Curry, do you think JV or Poetl could handle that?

This isn't nearly as dense as the "Can Biyombo play the 4?" threads, but the scenarios in which JV and a rookie centre share the floor are going to be few and far between. This team can barely leverage having just JV on the floor and now they are going to take advantage of having two low post bigs on the floor? JV is suddenly going to be shooting 3's like he is JR Smith?

I get it, people are excited about the shiny new toy we have, but please have some perspective.
alienchild wrote:Again, I hope the basketball gods give us the 14th pick in the draft. I hope OG asks for a trade, Birch signs elsewhere and GTJ signs an offer sheet and Raptors don't match. Frankly Masai is dead to me.
Naysorn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,210

Post#58 » by Naysorn » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:19 pm

[SJJ] wrote:
pbj wrote:

Stronglifts 5x5 is a good strength program. Not so aesthetics-based, though.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Re: Re: JaJo: Jakob & Jonas a better version of Kanter & Adams? 

Post#59 » by hankscorpioLA » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:38 pm

CrookedJ wrote:
hankscorpioLA wrote:If everyone else decides to zig, that's usually the time to zag.

Agreed 100%. Let's look at options to play big and bully teams.

Smallball is getting too expensive. Barnes gonna make max as a 4....yikes. Bigs now undervalued - Poeltl would have been top 5 a few years ago.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

This is the often ignored essence of the "Moneyball" concept.

Figure out where you can find value because no one else is looking there.
Agimat
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,896

Post#60 » by Agimat » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:56 pm

GREY 1769 wrote:Side note, but in fairness to VAL, he USED to be fast and athletic until they dirty bulked him into a plodding lump, which he has since been trying to recover from. He was a very bouncy and agile looking rookie. Jakob is a bit more fluid akin to Bargs, but lets not forget how VAL got the physique he did. This was not the player we drafted.

As to the point about this being our OKC version, Adams is so far in a league of his own in terms of toughness, although I really like that VAL doesn't back down. We've yet to see what mettle Jakob is made of, but I like our maximizing strengths of tall, strong, tenacious. Seems like rather than following the small ball trend, we're creating our own mold. I like it a lot.

Well said, very intrigued as what we could be in a few years to come with our own team identity. In regards to Val bulking up, Casey suggested this actually to go up against the biggers 5s in the league. I hope he doesn't make the same mistake again with Jakob. I also hope next season is the time we maximize JVs potential as a scorer in the low post and some minor tweak in our offensive philosophy to become as an "inside-out" team.

Return to Toronto Raptors