ImageImageImageImageImage

Dunc'd on Pod- Raps Summer League recap

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Dunc'd on Pod- Raps Summer League recap 

Post#1 » by CrookedJ » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:27 pm

Just caught the Raptors content of the new Nate Duncan pod:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status/757785319366205440[/tweet]

Nothing groundbreaking, buts its late July and we got to talk about something.

EDIT: Raps content is starting at 2:03:50...

Their takeaways on main guys:

Caboclo:
Not really seeing any play making or bounce from him.
Is just taking corner threes. OK shooter but not fear inducing for other teams.
Would like to see his length being used more like Tayshaun Prince - craftiness in scoring inside etc.
Still young but already on third season of deal

Wright:
Not getting any spot up shooting, even with FVV and Powell running the offense
Like his craftiness, but without great shooting and great passing ( average only for PG) hard to see as anything better than a backup
Do think he makes sense if they wanted to trade Joseph for some reason ( he will peak while on cheap rookie deal)

Poeltl:

Elite shotblocking and O rebounding numbers in summer league
Strong backup C or low end Starting C potential
Good speed, likes him as a quicker Robin Lopez type

Powell:
Too good for summer league, but liked that they gave him a different role ( creating, PnR handling etc)
All the usual ( athleticism, spot up shooting)
Thinking there's Jimmy Butler potential ( maybe) there - a guy that adds the ball skills and becomes a surprisingly well rounded wing.
Possible that 12 months from now, Powell is a better fit beside Lowry than DD is. Spot up shooting, doesn't need the usage( but can handle it?) etc.

Fred VanVleet:
Can't drive, can't score inside.
Can run a team and can shoot 3s.
Looked like belonged in SL
See lots of time in 905 in his future, which is a good thing for an undrafted.
ManBeast
Junior
And1: 193

Re: Dunc'd on Pod- Raps Summer League recap 

Post#2 » by ManBeast » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:59 pm

The notes on Powell are right on.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#3 » by nabbs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:10 pm

Not sure about that Poeltl assessment.... the guy is still young and has room for improvement. hell, I think he can be a a starting centre after he increases his lower body strength. Do Danny and Nate really think his prime is a low end starting centre, elite backup centre?

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#4 » by PoundTown » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:29 pm

I think they were spot on on everything except Poeltl. I would be shocked if Jakob doesn't become a top 15 centre, barring injury. Too well rounded with the mobility, motor, length defense and rebounding. Another thing I think he is elite at his his hands, and has this deceptive quick twitch ability where he can get the ball up and through the hoop really quickly from the board or the pass. Unique ability really. Just needs to get stronger and some experience and everYthing will fall in place in yr 2 or 3
bigmandinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,368

Post#5 » by bigmandinky » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:30 pm

nabbs wrote:Not sure about that Poeltl assessment.... the guy is still young and has room for improvement. hell, I think he can be a a starting centre after he increases his lower body strength. Do Danny and Nate really think his prime is a low end starting centre, elite backup centre?

To be fair, that's not even a bad outcome at all for a 9th pick in a weak draft (a great first big off the bench) - but I think Poeltl's value really shows if he can be projected to play the 4/5 long term. That way, his only physical disadvantage (lower body strength) will be minimized, and he'll also be able to use his great length to bother opposing players and score over them.

Poeltl is not JV (who has gotten quicker in his own right) - he's not gonna do well matching up against bruisers like Al Jeff, but he also should be able to cover mobile, strech bigs like Frye and Kevin Love.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,762

Post#6 » by Jadoogar » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 pm

nabbs wrote:Not sure about that Poeltl assessment.... the guy is still young and has room for improvement. hell, I think he can be a a starting centre after he increases his lower body strength. Do Danny and Nate really think his prime is a low end starting centre, elite backup centre?

Not every draft pick is going to end up being a superstar. Getting a Robin Lopez type player at #9 is not bad value at all. Elite backup centres are getting paid. Look at Biyombo

Return to Toronto Raptors