ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Looks Like Bargnani Is Done In The NBA

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Re: OT: Looks Like Bargnani Is Done In The NBA 

Post#121 » by LLJ » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:11 pm

metafisical wrote:If you really think about it, he was our star. Just think about it.

He was, at least officially, our star for about 2 years after Bosh left. But in reality, by DeMar's second year, (which is the year Bosh left) DD was pretty much our ACTUAL go-to guy since Bargnani started getting injured nonstop after Bosh left. Bargnani's games played from 10-11 to 12-13 were 66, 31, and 35. By his last season we had Lowry and Gay and he wasn't even "the guy" anymore.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#122 » by ruckus » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:00 pm

metafisical wrote:If you really think about it, he was our star. Just think about it.

Do I have to? Seeing the level of basketball played in the finals and throughout the Raptors run leading up to the ECF's, as fans, we have been really, really, really disserviced in having to watch years and years of Joey Graham, Rafael Araujo and Andrea Bargnani.

Playing close attention to the postseason that just past really opened my eyes to how much terrible basketball we've had to endure over the years.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#123 » by Danny1616 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:36 pm

GRidge wrote:I genuinely believed we ruined this guys career. He didn't do much to stop us either though

Anyone else remember his rookie season? The dude played with heart. He drove to the basket, went for dunks, rebounded, and blocked shots.

We needed him to play centre though to compliment the already established bosh. He ended up getting fat, losing his finesse style of play, lost his confidence and gave up on improving. You could tell he lost his love for basketball.

If he was drafted in today's nba, he would have been a coveted rookie. Just look at his draft report from his year.

The guy was drafted 10 years too early to an organization that had no idea how to develop him. Sam Mitchell was actually awesome for him. He was hard on him.

All of this was combined with his lack of mental toughness. He didn't have the ability to bounce back and get past the hard times

Ruined his career? We gave him the keys to the team once Bosh left (he was only in third season) and he had every chance to prove himself.

Not our fault the dude averaged less rebounds then your average point gaurd and was an awful help defender.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#124 » by arbsn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:37 pm

Ended up with decent stats but stats dont show heart
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,679

Post#125 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Can't read through what I think will be a legendary thread. Just want to post a line from "A Bronx Tale" - "There's nothing sadder in the world than wasted talent."

Caliper FTL lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#126 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:46 pm

stro wrote:Not surprising that shortly after his tenure here he's out of the NBA.

I honestly thought he was given too many chances. He hung on fairly long after he was a contributing player, really. Which is pretty sad given he's not super old or injured or anything.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,761

Post#127 » by Jadoogar » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:52 pm

That's a 7-footer out there!
vincecarter55
Rookie
And1: 1,844

Post#128 » by vincecarter55 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:24 pm

Anatomize wrote:
vincecarter55 wrote:Bargs, you were a terrible basketball player but your legend will always live on through Primo pasta and sauce

To be fair that's a bit harsh, he wasn't a terrible basketball player. Finding bigs with his scoring talent even between 10-20 ppg is a rarity, there's a lot of trash bigs in the history of the NBA - not many had his skill for scoring. We can go on and on about all his weaknesses/issues, but to say he was a terrible player given how many bigs are complete trash/garbage men is simply untrue.

He's just terrible by the standards we set on him and where he was drafted, but not in the grand scheme.

Nope, nothing to do with standards. I have been consistent in my belief that Bargs did way too many things VERY poorly (rebounding, dribbling, basketball IQ, help defence, setting screens, hustle) to EVER be part of a good team. I also have no idea why so many people bought into the hype about him being an athletic big. He was NOT very athletic. It was average at best. It's like if someone tells you something so many times you start to believe it. He also couldn't dribble AT ALL. I really never understood any of the hype after watching him play his rookie season. There's a reason he's out of the league now.
soloxylo
General Manager
And1: 12,204

Post#129 » by soloxylo » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:57 pm

After being coddled by Colangelo and the organization for 7 years, he was never able to find another situation that worked for him. It was evident that he was pretty much done after his stint with the Knicks, with his stop with the Nets sealing the proverbial nail in the coffin.

From the day BC drafted him, I knew he wasn't gonna pan out to be the guy that the organization wanted him to be. It was just unfortunate, that we as the fans were sold on the pipe dream that this was our franchise guy. I've always wanted Aldridge to be the pick, so my dislike for Bargs grew as the years went by. Didn't help having to see his face almost everyday, because of that cheesy "Primo Pasta & Sauce" commercial.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#130 » by JN » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:20 pm

He had no desire -- BC's coddling hurt him more than helped him.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,188

Post#131 » by tsherkin » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:33 pm

I called this on draft day on RealGM Radio and he has spent every year since proving me right. I have been that correct or more only a handful of times in my life, heh. Bargs was a gigantic dumpster fire.
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,145

Post#132 » by Risk101 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:33 pm

MC3 wrote:

I don't know why I found this video so funny. As soon as the old school NBA theme song came on and Bargnani pulling off those struggle moves I started dying. This **** made my day.
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#133 » by PT416 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:36 pm

This guy is the worst gifted basketball player i've ever seen. He didn't even have to deal with major injuries he was just literally doo doo.
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#134 » by MavCarter » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:46 pm

The next dirk lol
#Enjoytheride
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#135 » by MavCarter » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:48 pm

Bargnani was actually a talented 7ft dude tbh, he was just soft and lacked the desire to be great
#Enjoytheride
primopastalove2
Analyst
And1: 4,861

Post#136 » by primopastalove2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:12 am

One of the greatest Raptor player ever, the father of many raptorism. Never Forget.
Caped Crusader wrote:
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
nbafan341
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,148

Post#137 » by nbafan341 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:59 am

Bargnani had a lot of talent, no heart indeed. He could've been a top 5 player in the league but nope.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,506

Post#138 » by OakleyDokely » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:20 pm

Bargnani's curse was that he was the #1 overall pick. If he was a mid to late lottery pick, he would have been good value and a decent role player off the bench. He just didn't have the drive/toughness needed to become an allstar and justify the #1 selection in a draft (even if the draft was weak).
nitrous
General Manager
And1: 11,470

Post#139 » by nitrous » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:20 pm

Bargs was the most frustrating player to watch. He clearly had the potential to be a dominant player but it's like he didn't even want to be one, let alone even seem interested. Once every 10 games Bargs would demonstrate his ability to drive and score on command and then settle for contested 3's the rest of the game.

I'm convinced to this day that he didn't even like basketball.
InfraRedshaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 757

Post#140 » by InfraRedshaw » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:31 pm

vincecarter55 wrote:
Anatomize wrote:
vincecarter55 wrote:Bargs, you were a terrible basketball player but your legend will always live on through Primo pasta and sauce

To be fair that's a bit harsh, he wasn't a terrible basketball player. Finding bigs with his scoring talent even between 10-20 ppg is a rarity, there's a lot of trash bigs in the history of the NBA - not many had his skill for scoring. We can go on and on about all his weaknesses/issues, but to say he was a terrible player given how many bigs are complete trash/garbage men is simply untrue.

He's just terrible by the standards we set on him and where he was drafted, but not in the grand scheme.

Nope, nothing to do with standards. I have been consistent in my belief that Bargs did way too many things VERY poorly (rebounding, dribbling, basketball IQ, help defence, setting screens, hustle) to EVER be part of a good team. I also have no idea why so many people bought into the hype about him being an athletic big. He was NOT very athletic. It was average at best. It's like if someone tells you something so many times you start to believe it. He also couldn't dribble AT ALL. I really never understood any of the hype after watching him play his rookie season. There's a reason he's out of the league now.

i always thought bargs had a pretty dope handle really, one of his strengths was taking the close out defender off the dribble, i think you are hating a little harder than necessary tbh , but then again, everything else you said he does struggle with lol
Just 8* years ago Andrea Bargnani was my franchise player, you MF'ers can't rain on my parade

Return to Toronto Raptors