ImageImageImageImageImage

Koreen: Raptors abandoning Caboclo SF training. Shifting to PF?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Re: Koreen: Raptors abandoning Caboclo SF training. Shifting to PF? 

Post#61 » by Throwback24 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:13 pm

It took them how long to figure out he would never cut it as a wing player in this league?

Too slow.
Too weak.

To be honest his entire basketball repertoire leads me to believe he'll never be anything. Very weak frame wingspin aside with not much else besides an erratic jumper.

If Masai didn't botch the pick we'd be in a much better place right now. Trade all future 1st round picks please.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#62 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:13 pm

BismackonLebron wrote:
Reef wrote:He's too soft to play at PF.

Right now he's Bargnani purple dinosaur kind of soft. Hopefully some muscle and steroids fixes that, but I doubt it.

He's actually put on quite a bit of muscle since we drafted him. Last year he was noticeably bigger in D League and he was bigger again in summer league. He's clearly eating right and lifting, but I don't know if he'll ever be physical enough to be an average rebounder for a PF, or play in the post. I hope so.
Throwback24
RealGM

Post#63 » by Throwback24 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Mad Balla 15 wrote:I haven't followed Bruno's development much like others on this board but is he still 2 years away from being 2 years away?

He's a lifetime of training away from making the Brazil NT.
Knucknbuc
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,732

Re: RE: Re: Koreen: Raptors abandoning Caboclo SF training. Shifting to PF? 

Post#64 » by Knucknbuc » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Mad Balla 15 wrote:I haven't followed Bruno's development much like others on this board but is he still 2 years away from being 2 years away?

10 years away from being 2 years away?
CoachJReturns
RealGM

Post#65 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:17 pm

Throwback24 wrote:It took them how long to figure out he would never cut it as a wing player in this league?

Too slow.
Too weak.

To be honest his entire basketball repertoire leads me to believe he'll never be anything. Very weak frame wingspin aside with not much else besides an erratic jumper.

If Masai didn't botch the pick we'd be in a much better place right now. Trade all future 1st round picks please.

I think Masai had a specific plan to draft Ennis and it fell through. He didn't have much of a backup plan. As for Hood, he likely just didn't think he'd be available. Hood fell several spots lower than expected before the draft and Masai probably didn't even bring him in for a workout. Capela, McDaniels and Anderson were the other guys who seemed the likely pick. No huge losses, but of course every time you miss one player it affects other decisions later.
I'm giving Masai 2 years before I finally say he's trash at drafting in general. Poeltl is his first top 10 pick ever, so I'll wait for his development, but if he is just a bench center I'll be pretty pissed.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#66 » by IMAN5 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:18 pm

We probably should've let him play overseas for a while. Like a reallllllllly long time. He was 19 when we drafted him? So if you have him playing against high competition in Europe (if he can even make those teams) for 6-7 years he would be a far better player at 25 and THEN we could sign him. You can hit shots as much as you want in practice but up until last year he wasn't getting regular minutes in the dleague.
instagram.com/510movement
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#67 » by Patman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:22 pm

CoachJReturns wrote:
BismackonLebron wrote:
Reef wrote:He's too soft to play at PF.

Right now he's Bargnani purple dinosaur kind of soft. Hopefully some muscle and steroids fixes that, but I doubt it.

He's actually put on quite a bit of muscle since we drafted him. Last year he was noticeably bigger in D League and he was bigger again in summer league. He's clearly eating right and lifting, but I don't know if he'll ever be physical enough to be an average rebounder for a PF, or play in the post. I hope so.

The good thing is that the average PF in the league is getting smaller.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#68 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:23 pm

Throwback24 wrote:It took them how long to figure out he would never cut it as a wing player in this league?

Too slow.
Too weak.

He's neither slow or weak, he just has no clue yet.

The comment at the draft was right. He's at least two years away still. And that's not 2 years from being a star its two years from being a bench player.
CoachJReturns
RealGM

Post#69 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Patman wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:
BismackonLebron wrote:Right now he's Bargnani purple dinosaur kind of soft. Hopefully some muscle and steroids fixes that, but I doubt it.

Absolutely. I think the "Tall Forward" started with Garnett and it hasn't gone away. That was in the 90s, so it's likely here to stay for a while. I expect with the team clarifying his role as a power forward they would want him to continue to add mass until he reaches a point where it slows him down noticeably. The problem is whether he can consistently play more physically inside when he is in and around the paint. Offensively, most of his touches inside lead to very awkward looking tosses rather than typical jump hooks. Defensively, he fares better since he can just keep his hands up and change shots. Rebounding is an issue since he doesn't give a consistent effort.
Throwback24
RealGM

Post#70 » by Throwback24 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

Too slow.
Too weak.

He's neither slow or weak, he just has no clue yet.

The comment at the draft was right. He's at least two years away still. And that's not 2 years from being a star its two years from being a bench player.

Fair enough. We do however strongly agree on his deer in the headlights look on offense and defense. He isn't the first international player to come to America with English as a very distant 2nd language. Instinctively he has no concept of ball and man, at all.

Or how to break off a set when a play collapses and to cut. His spacing relative to his teammates always looks off as well. It seems like the fundamentals of basketball allude him.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#71 » by The_Hater » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:43 pm

With the NBA evolving the direction it's going, Bruno was always going to be a stretch 4 instead of a 3. The only question left is can he improve to the point where he's a viable NBA player. I have my doubts on that.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,536

Post#72 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
Yea but we could have easily signed a PG (which we actually ended up doing anyways). At least Portis can rebound and shoot the 3 and he'd at least play some meaningful minutes which hasnt and won't happen because of Lowry.

Picking Wright just didn't make any sense, no matter how you attempt to spin it.

Portia sucks man. Like he is pretty awful.

We haven't had blatant **** ups either. If Hood and Portia were such can't miss prospects they wouldn't be going like 23rd in the draft. Wright was a great pick who kind of got the short end of the stick when we signed Cory jo which we could not of foreseen. Wright will be better then Portis though once he finds minutes I can guarantee you that.

At that point in the draft, you aren't going to get a can't miss guy. It's about getting the best bang for your buck down there and I thought it was pretty obvious that it was Hood and not Bruno. So that was a blatant **** up. Ross over Drummond was also a blatant **** up but that's not the point here.

I think Portis has a chance to be a rotation big on a good team if he keeps developing. Anyways, time will tell.

And Wright has the chance of being a rotation PG on a good team. Both guys are dime a dozen players. Your posts on this subject make no sense.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#73 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Portia sucks man. Like he is pretty awful.

We haven't had blatant **** ups either. If Hood and Portia were such can't miss prospects they wouldn't be going like 23rd in the draft. Wright was a great pick who kind of got the short end of the stick when we signed Cory jo which we could not of foreseen. Wright will be better then Portis though once he finds minutes I can guarantee you that.

At that point in the draft, you aren't going to get a can't miss guy. It's about getting the best bang for your buck down there and I thought it was pretty obvious that it was Hood and not Bruno. So that was a blatant **** up. Ross over Drummond was also a blatant **** up but that's not the point here.

I think Portis has a chance to be a rotation big on a good team if he keeps developing. Anyways, time will tell.

And Wright has the chance of being a rotation PG on a good team. Both guys are dime a dozen players. Your posts on this subject make no sense.

I've been all for helping Wright find that team and seeing if they have anything that can help us to offer in return. To have him wait til late 20s to get significant NBA time, could tank the kids career. It could be win, win. If I have a real good guitar, but I have others that I play and I don't play this one, it's a waste for it just to sit there. Why not try and see if I can get something of value for it from someone who will put it to use? This isn't givin up on it. To me to sit and wait till the point that we have to make a decision on a qualifying offer or not, is the wasting of the asset.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#74 » by The_Hater » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:Portia sucks man. Like he is pretty awful.

Portis is (i think) 4 years younger than Wright. I think predicting that Wright has a better future than Portis like YP did is an iffy call. I would argue that Portis has a much bigger upside due to that age gap.

Not that I love Portis all that much, I don't, but entering the league at 19 and immediately finding rotation minutes is rare. I'd certainly trade Wright for him right now if that offer was on the table.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#75 » by Patman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:51 pm

CoachJReturns wrote:
Patman wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:He's actually put on quite a bit of muscle since we drafted him. Last year he was noticeably bigger in D League and he was bigger again in summer league. He's clearly eating right and lifting, but I don't know if he'll ever be physical enough to be an average rebounder for a PF, or play in the post. I hope so.

Absolutely. I think the "Tall Forward" started with Garnett and it hasn't gone away. That was in the 90s, so it's likely here to stay for a while. I expect with the team clarifying his role as a power forward they would want him to continue to add mass until he reaches a point where it slows him down noticeably. The problem is whether he can consistently play more physically inside when he is in and around the paint. Offensively, most of his touches inside lead to very awkward looking tosses rather than typical jump hooks. Defensively, he fares better since he can just keep his hands up and change shots. Rebounding is an issue since he doesn't give a consistent effort.

His rebounding issues are mostly due to instinct, from what I see. Again, this goes back to his lack of organized basketball experience.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#76 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:04 pm

His feet were rarely set on catch and shoots from the top of the arc. Always annoyed me that they didn't clean that up. Hopefully Stack will make him a man this year, because he has the talent to redeem the risk.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#77 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:28 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
Rapsfan07 wrote:

Portis is (i think) 4 years younger than Wright. I think predicting that Wright has a better future than Portis like YP did is an iffy call. I would argue that Portis has a much bigger upside due to that age gap.

Not that I love Portis all that much, I don't, but entering the league at 19 and immediately finding rotation minutes is rare. I'd certainly trade Wright for him right now if that offer was on the table.

Portis is 2 years and 10 months younger (Portis came in at 20). And both guys only played 2 years in college. The age gap isn't quite as significant as some think. If Portis has a higher ceiling, it ain't by much. His skillset just doesn't project well at all.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#78 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:36 pm

What's always bugged me about the Cabaclo signing is that their is no cap value in his signing, in the best case scenario. When/if he finally starts seeing the floor, his rookie contract will be over or almost over, and we will be re-signing him to a fair market RFA value contract. The value in young players is in their cap hit, not their development for 4 years down the road, unless they become stars. Bruno was never projected to be a star in four years (except by some overzealous fans!).
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#79 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:02 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:What's always bugged me about the Cabaclo signing is that their is no cap value in his signing, in the best case scenario. When/if he finally starts seeing the floor, his rookie contract will be over or almost over, and we will be re-signing him to a fair market RFA value contract. The value in young players is in their cap hit, not their development for 4 years down the road, unless they become stars. Bruno was never projected to be a star in four years (except by some overzealous fans!).

Well it sure looks like his fair market value is going to be quite cheap.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#80 » by Alfred » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:05 pm

IMAN5 wrote:We probably should've let him play overseas for a while. Like a reallllllllly long time. He was 19 when we drafted him? So if you have him playing against high competition in Europe (if he can even make those teams) for 6-7 years he would be a far better player at 25 and THEN we could sign him. You can hit shots as much as you want in practice but up until last year he wasn't getting regular minutes in the dleague.

If you put him on a team in Europe, the team in Europe wouldn't play him. He's far too raw, and they're trying to win basketball games.

Return to Toronto Raptors