ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Trade talks (Raptors)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Re: ESPN Trade talks (Raptors) 

Post#61 » by hsb » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Looking forward, from a basketball standpoint, the Raptors should deal DeRozan, who is perhaps the most overpaid player in the league. Yes, he scores, but get this: In the last two seasons the Raptors have outscored their opponents by more points when DeRozan was sitting. That's not what you want from a player that makes $27 million a year.

So lazy and not even just him, net rating/plus-minus/rpm etc, have been abused to ridiculous means by many of the posters on here too.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
HeirCanada10
Pro Prospect
And1: 187

Post#62 » by HeirCanada10 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:32 pm

Always wondered patiently to see if TRoss could've made big growth strides after his 51 point outburst vs LA Clippers in his 2nd year, imagine him in a Otto Porter, Rodney Hood, Khris Middleton decent type role alongside stick to DeMar as SG. (could add more decent core role players list could go on)
Dream Scenario: Kawhi Leonard, Andrew Wiggins, Jimmy Butler

Thing about Ross he was always a SG/SF purely a SG listed at 6'7", 205 lbs about. If he managed to get close to 225-230 lbs overtime gained strength, toughness ability, talent wise he could've been an awesome starting 3pt shooting material SF with DeRozan finding him open looks. This is looking like another VCarter/TMac and KDurant/Harden type breakup in a way.
eversonn
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#63 » by eversonn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:33 pm

The only thing the raptors need is a 3 pt scorer nothing else.
LonZoBallin
Rookie
And1: 539

Post#64 » by LonZoBallin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Engelmann: I hated the Ibaka deal because they gave up a decent player on a great contract, plus a first rounder, for essentially the rental of a rapidly declining player and the right to overpay him next offseason.

Those kinds of moves make little sense in the short term. Does that trade now make Toronto the favorite in the East? I think not. And it also hurts their long-term outlook significantly.

Looking forward, from a basketball standpoint, the Raptors should deal DeRozan, who is perhaps the most overpaid player in the league. Yes, he scores, but get this: In the last two seasons the Raptors have outscored their opponents by more points when DeRozan was sitting. That's not what you want from a player that makes $27 million a year.

This guy needs a raise!
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#65 » by super_balls » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
super_balls wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Who is DeRozan supposed to pass to when the Raps have been playing 3 on 5? Carroll, Siakam, Bebe?

He does frustrate me on 2 on 1's or general fast breaks... I've never seen him pass and usually gets a charge then
bitches at the ref lol

The dude was scoring 28 ppg on 48% FG and getting to the FT line at a good rate while him and Lowry were carrying
these slugs to a top 3 seed in the East up until a couple of weeks ago. He gets injured and cools down a bit and the vultures
are already circling him.

It's like when Vince Carter and Bosh led teams that were surrounded by crap. People start reaching and over analyzing
them and pointing fingers towards them and convince themselves that their the problem when its clear their supporting
cast is the problem.

This. x100

Playing at any level, it was always hard for me (as a guard) to pass the ball to guys that can't make shots. Your trying to win, are you really going to pass the ball to the scrub who will either a) brick the shot(s) or b) do something aimless and not create a shot for others.

I'm glad you mentioned that because I was gonna use that as an example...

In a bigger sense it's why guys like Durant go to GS and Lebron bounces around and is always bitching about more help.
If these guys don't win people blame them not the $hitty players around them.

I've never been a Kobe fan but I always loved when he'd cuss out the scrubs he had to play with like Smush Parker,
Jordan Farmer, Sasha Vujacic etc.

KOBE! I love Kobe for that very same reason. #MambaMentality.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,967

Post#66 » by Truthrising » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm

hsb wrote:

So lazy and not even just him, net rating/plus-minus/rpm etc, have been abused to ridiculous means by many of the posters on here too.

That's what i've been saying for so long, all the advanced shows that even though DD's an ok scorer not elite or anything, he's a really bad defender, if not the worst defender which outweighs all the good things he does on the offensive end. The guy is essentially a 0.0 BPM. essentially it's better to have him sit on the bench which in turn doesn't freeze out his teammates and they tend to play better when there's ball movement.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
MasaiLegs
Junior
And1: 362

Post#67 » by MasaiLegs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
MasaiLegs wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Who is DeRozan supposed to pass to when the Raps have been playing 3 on 5? Carroll, Siakam, Bebe?

He does frustrate me on 2 on 1's or general fast breaks... I've never seen him pass and usually gets a charge then
bitches at the ref lol

The dude was scoring 28 ppg on 48% FG and getting to the FT line at a good rate while him and Lowry were carrying
these slugs to a top 3 seed in the East up until a couple of weeks ago. He gets injured and cools down a bit and the vultures
are already circling him.

It's like when Vince Carter and Bosh led teams that were surrounded by crap. People start reaching and over analyzing
them and pointing fingers towards them and convince themselves that their the problem when its clear their supporting
cast is the problem.

Derozan is what he is, a high volume, low FG% scorer. Throughout his career he's shot around .420. He was lights out to being the season but over the past 15 games he's been sub 0.400 at over 20 FGA. I'm not saying the supporting cast has been great, but I think after so many seasons I think we know what we have in him and that isn't a franchise player to build around. So it's not like an all of a sudden thing, we've been watching this for years.

And the team won 56 games and was 2 games away from the finals with him as a lead guy....

If you want to look at his career history look at the scrubs he's had to play with earlier in his career....

Even the biggest DeRozan haters don't accuse him of being selfish...

Lowry and DeRozan have to score and take shots out of necessity and then Valanciunas who's like the 3rd option
doesn't play in the 4th quarters.

What's the options to pass?

Patterson missing WIDE open 3's?
Carroll fumbling the ball or missing wide open layups under the rim?
Bebe and his bad hands or taking stupid charges?
Siakam who can't do anything other then dunk?
Poeltl who can't finish under the rim?

The problem with DeRozan is defense not offense

Last year and the beginning of this year I thought we were seeing a different Derozan (0.470FG)... my fear is that we're now see the 2014-15 and prior Derozan again. You can't win with a high volume low FG% that depends on the whistle to win games. Let's not get into his defense.
kingcns187
Senior
And1: 648

Post#68 » by kingcns187 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:07 pm

the reason for keeping the pick is it's a roster spot that will cost us less than 1million dollars. It is important to keep if we plan on signing Lowry and Ibaka AND keeping DeRozan
Rapsfan07
RealGM
And1: 5,434

Post#69 » by Rapsfan07 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:09 pm

artsncrafts wrote:Englemann makes some valid points, you guys need to take off your homer glasses.

-Declining
-Rental
-Overpay when he is FA
-Not beating CLE (I doubt we even make the ECF)

Now we didnt give up too much for this year's sake but you have to take into account the insane amount of money Masai will offer Ibaka and then grade the trade.

I wouldn't worry too much. Ibaka looks to be Worth about $20M. Even with his current production, in this market, that's still a reasonable deal.

Plus Ibaka and Masai have a pretty good Relationship and I'm confident he will like it here where he has something to play for.

I'd say $100M/5years gets it done. No, Ibaka hasn't been the other worldly player he was in his early OKC days but that doesn't mean he's a scrub right now. I can guarantee you that he will contribute more than Ross and the 25th pick would have. No doubt about that.
Duke3D
Bench Warmer
And1: 447

Post#70 » by Duke3D » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm

Goodass idealism in the sense of "blow it up if you can't win it all" - except the beancounters disagree.
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,260

Post#71 » by Raptorfan2012 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Rapsfan07 wrote:
artsncrafts wrote:Englemann makes some valid points, you guys need to take off your homer glasses.

-Declining
-Rental
-Overpay when he is FA

Now we didnt give up too much for this year's sake but you have to take into account the insane amount of money Masai will offer Ibaka and then grade the trade.

I wouldn't worry too much. Ibaka looks to be Worth about $20M. Even with his current production, in this market, that's still a reasonable deal.

Plus Ibaka and Masai have a pretty good Relationship and I'm confident he will like it here where he has something to play for.

I'd say $100M/5years gets it done. No, Ibaka hasn't been the other worldly player he was in his early OKC days but that doesn't mean he's a scrub right now. I can guarantee you that he will contribute more than Ross and the 25th pick would have. No doubt about that.

I don't understand this whining about Ibaka. Guy is a top 10 PF in this league, and will probably be top 10 for at least the next few seasons (even if he is 30 instead of 27). The only other top 10 player in their position we have Lowry (and maybe Demar).
Wasp
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Post#72 » by Wasp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:25 pm

McGregFan wrote:
Risk101 wrote:That Engelmann dude is an idiot. How does a late first round pick and Ross, who is as inconsistent as they come, make little sense in getting a talented big like Ibaka?

If you can't beat cleveland you should definitely blow it up and strive to be the orlando magic

lol, seriously. I don't understand Engelmann's take here. I'm not sure how removing Ross and a duplicitous late 1st hurts our long-term outlook "significantly". Even if Serge walks (which is the absolute worst case scenario), we just freed up money for Patterson. If he sticks around, we get the starting 4 we haven't had since Bosh left for a middling rotation player and a late 1st.

The "Championship or bust" mentality is so dumb because it makes a ton of assumptions and would simply crater the league if everyone followed it. Even if Cleveland is still better than us this year, they're looking fairly weak because of injuries. Boston, Washington, and Atlanta's improved play has also forced us to shake things up in order to remain within striking distance. When you look at next year, the Cavs (ie. LBJ) are a year older. The Warriors will have to sacrifice a ton of depth if they want to keep their big 4 together, or be forced to trade one of them. They may not be such a juggernaut next year. If we re-sign Serge, it gives us a complete and complimentary Starting 5 while still retaining all of our young assets and picks minus Ross and a 20-something 1st. That's a home run if you ask me.
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#73 » by mcgrady_1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:27 pm

I would only trade DD this year if it is for a clear upgrade that fits this team better. For example Cousins or Butler, maybe even Batum but I would try and at least get MKG thrown in somehow.

I would also consider trading him for potentially high first rounders & young legit talent if we totally fail these playoffs and choose to rebuild.

Other than that, I am staying positive that Dwane Casey gets fired.
CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Post#74 » by CoachJReturns » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:27 pm

McGregFan wrote:
Risk101 wrote:That Engelmann dude is an idiot. How does a late first round pick and Ross, who is as inconsistent as they come, make little sense in getting a talented big like Ibaka?

If you can't beat cleveland you should definitely blow it up and strive to be the orlando magic

Blowing it up is never pleasant, but let's be honest, we're in a pretty good spot to blow it up if we wanted to even after the Ibaka deal.
I've said it several times, so forgive me for repeating myself, but if we wanted to trade DeMar who is a perennial all-star for a top 5 pick in a strong draft we would probably find a taker. I know we give DeRozan a hard time, but he's become an elite scorer and not every top drafting team will want to take the time to develop someone.
If we tanked(which Masai will never do), we would already have a top prospect before the season started, not to mention Poeltl and Powell. Tank for Ayton, Donkic, Bomba, Porter and we can add another.
Again, we won't ever tank, but we would be in a much better position to do so than people think.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,835

Post#75 » by Duffman100 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:29 pm

Truthrising wrote:
hsb wrote:

That's what i've been saying for so long, all the advanced shows that even though DD's an ok scorer not elite or anything, he's a really bad defender, if not the worst defender which outweighs all the good things he does on the offensive end. The guy is essentially a 0.0 BPM. essentially it's better to have him sit on the bench which in turn doesn't freeze out his teammates and they tend to play better when there's ball movement.

It's time someone in the media wrote a story on his defense and put a spotlight on it. It's terrible and he leaves his teammates out to dry. It's focus and effort..he's got to locking down.
Clutch0z24
General Manager
And1: 8,020

Post#76 » by Clutch0z24 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:31 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
Courtside wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:I'm pretty sure Rudy and Kyle are still really close. I think you need to read the media here as an extension of the fanbase. These guys get emotionally involved, too. I think only Michael Grange can keep his cool.

Yeah, they're still friends. Proof that having a friend traded off your team isn't going to send you off the deep end. If the result of trading Demar was that we A) got better (unknown at this point) as well as B) made Kyle the highest paid player on a new deal and C) made him the clear big dog on the team, Kyle would not only get over the loss of Demar in a trade, he might actually welcome it (with the Rudy experience under his belt as well).

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Kyle is a sore loser, so it's possible that he'd go after DeMar or other teammates, but the fact that he was arguing with Casey in the game and he's had a history of butting heads with Casey (and other coaches in the past) would point more in that direction.

You're right about the sore loser part. He wants to win. Ask yourself why he keeps arguing with Casey, though? Casey clearly favors Demar as our lead scorer and part of the "ride or die"mentality that KL may have been part of, but also clearly takes issue with. Is there a possibility he butts heads with Casey over the pecking order that is in place? Kyle clearly has an issue with our strategy and lack of adjustments by the coach, most of which revolve around Demar. Look at last night, Kyle seemed to relish the way they came back in the 4th with DD parked on the bench.

You know I have a bias here, which I admit to fully, but what I'm seeing on the floor this season is that even though KL and DD are good buds, they are not so attached that losing Demar would make Kyle want out. I actually think the opposite could be true, given the points I noted in the first section of my response. KL's ego is definitely that big, and if we're choosing between the ego's of DD and KL, I know which one is the winner that I do what I can to keep around.

Boom. I think Kyle is starting to get frustrated with Demar and for good reason. Imagine you are Kyle, you make the smart plays and carry this team. But you see Demar go out every night and put up 20 shots regardless of what the situation is.

People think that it is impossible Kyle could ever be mad at Demar but what even makes people think they are soooooo close that Kyle would bolt if his buddy was not here? It isn't like Kyle could just run to wherever Demar would be traded to anyways - that is not how it works. Kyle and Demar remind me of the relationship between Durant and Westbrook. Durant knows he is the better player yet he had to watch Westbrook attempt to take over night after night even though he had no business doing so. Same with Demar and Lowry.

If we were to move Demar do you really think Kyle would sulk? I don't. Look at how different Kyle played in the 4th Q last night. It was night and day,

There is 0 proof of Lowry frustrated with DeMar or Proof him thinking he is Like a Westbrook to KD ....They are prolly way closer then KD/Westbrook were....I have not seen KL/DD ever argue in a game ever...

When DD is playing good he helps the team when he has an off night he hurts the team its as simple as that...That goes for 29 other teams who star players struggle.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#77 » by dagger » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:35 pm

-Declining
-Rental
-Overpay when he is FA

-Declining: I suspect he will level off here for a couple of years, especially since his three point shooting isn't declining, it's actually at a career high

-Rental and Overpay: You can't argue both sides of his contract status. If we overpay, well, he isn't a rental, and if he moves on in free agency, then we aren't overpaying. And even then, you're making an assumption we will overpay, when you have no idea of the market for his services.

-Not beating CLE: Only time will tell, but if we do re-sign him and Kyle, we start next season with a better roster than we have now even if we move someone like Cory for salary cap reasons.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Post#78 » by MavCarter » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Why do we get criticized for not being able to beat the cavs, win a championship etc when you have teams like the grizzlies who get zero criticism from the media even though they've accomplished nothing more than us in the playoffs? I mean the grizzlies are regularly ranked as one of the top franchises in sports by espn. I get they're a "model" franchise because they've been able to sustain success over the years, but i really don't understand why we get pounded for the "CANT BEAT THE CAVS!!" thing. There's not a lot of teams that can actually beat that lebron guy
#Enjoytheride
TDGlenmanor
Senior
And1: 160

Post#79 » by TDGlenmanor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:42 pm

ROBBS wrote:

Yeah I disagree in saying this trade makes little sense in the short-term. Ibaka absolutely upgrades the talent on this team and gives us a legit PF. If the logic is that it's still not enough to beat Cleveland, well Ross and the late extra first rounder isn't a huge pill to swallow to see if that's the case.

Long term though, after we inevitably sign him to a huge deal, is a different story.

But the thing is, we were going to be a hard capped team before the Ibaka trade anyway.

Giving up Ross at $11MM a year for Serge $12.5MM today allows us to obtain his bird rights. We can go over the salary cap in the summer to retain him and Lowry (but not the hard cap this is where another contract needs to be shed on or before draft night to actually keep them at market value, CJ/DC/JV preferably).

Let's say we didn't make a trade for anyone before this deadline, this team would be stuck maxing Lowry with little to no way of improving itself going forward.

This Ibaka deal is our all in move if we retain Lowry and him this summer, or we could easily not retain either of them and hand the keys to Norm/Delon next year at a 15th of the cost of Lowry. Shed DC, Joseph and/or JV and raps can be big players in FA for 2 pieces to build around Dekobe

Norm/Wright/VanFleet
Dekobe/Norm/Wright/Vanfleet
Do not extend qualifying offer to Bruno
Siakam
Jokab/Bebe

This team does't look so bad with 100MM in capspace this summer
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#80 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Ibaka is better than Horford in every catagory except assists...Boston's second best player who's 3 years older and on a way worse contract.

If he's decling, what does that make Horford?

Return to Toronto Raptors