ImageImageImageImageImage

Dwight to shoot 3s, shouldn't JV, too?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Should we still trade JV if he developed 3s at, say, 35+ percent?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 44

cruwinas
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,531

Re: Dwight to shoot 3s, shouldn't JV, too? 

Post#41 » by cruwinas » Thu Jun 8, 2017 11:53 pm

If JV will start shooting threes - he will be the best three point shooter on the team. Book it.
:crazy:
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,248

Post#42 » by YogurtProducer » Fri Jun 9, 2017 1:33 am

vini_vidi_vici wrote:I dont understand why ppl want to take a skill (3PT shooting) out of the game. The drive and kick game has never been better, we have seen more indepth, complex offenses. We have seen a variety of ways to facilitate an offense. Theres more passing/ASTs. I, for one, have loved the evolution of the sport.

Because it doesn't fit their narrative. People seem to think the only reason Curry is good because he shoots 3's. People think GSW is only good because of the 3. People forget how ugly the early 2000s were
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
Mack11
RealGM
And1: 56,989

Post#43 » by Mack11 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 1:42 am

i think he works on his jumper every offseason lol.. ill believe it when i see it
Dr Octagon
RealGM
And1: 54,612

Post#44 » by Dr Octagon » Fri Jun 9, 2017 2:02 am

Empty the Clip 3.0
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,538

Post#45 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:20 am

cruwinas wrote:If JV will start shooting threes - he will be the best three point shooter on the team. Book it.

Better than Lowry? LOL
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,405

Post#46 » by Sakkreth » Fri Jun 9, 2017 12:19 pm

cruwinas wrote:If JV will start shooting threes - he will be the best three point shooter on the team. Book it.

What?

I think he can be good, but cmon now...
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#47 » by slothrop8 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 2:35 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:

Better than Lowry? LOL

If JV becomes a better 3 pt shooter on higher volume than Lowry and those were net new shots for him - and we can get him a little more usage in the PnR - he'd have a shot to become one of the greatest offensive centres in history - throwing up 25ppg+ on cartoonish efficiency. Even a dedicated JV supporter such as myself would suggest that's a pretty unrealistic outcome.

I'd take 36% on 2 attempts per game - not even for the value that shooting brings on its own - but for the ability to perhaps pull other Centres out of the paint to have to guard him out there sometimes - or maybe make defenders worry about him even a little on pick n pop action out at the 3 point line. Considering he's attempted 4 threes in 5 seasons - even 36% on 2 attempts per game seems highly optimistic. If he comes back a better three point shooter than Lowry - we should raise the money to carve the likeness of his shooting coach into the moon.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#48 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 2:44 pm

slothrop8 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

Better than Lowry? LOL

If JV becomes a better 3 pt shooter on higher volume than Lowry and those were net new shots for him - and we can get him a little more usage in the PnR - he'd have a shot to become one of the greatest offensive centres in history - throwing up 25ppg+ on cartoonish efficiency. Even a dedicated JV supporter such as myself would suggest that's a pretty unrealistic outcome.

I'd take 36% on 2 attempts per game - not even for the value that shooting brings on its own - but for the ability to perhaps pull other Centres out of the paint to have to guard him out there sometimes - or maybe make defenders worry about him even a little on pick n pop action out at the 3 point line. Considering he's attempted 4 threes in 5 seasons - even 36% on 2 attempts per game seems highly optimistic. If he comes back a better three point shooter than Lowry - we should raise the money to carve the likeness of his shooting coach into the moon.

I bet 36% is attainable. We see guys hit a good % when they limit volume and only shoot wide open 3’s (think Amir hitting 41% last year, Scola hitting 40% the year before, etc.).

I also bet teams don’t guard JV out there at all unless his volume gets to over 4 attempts a game on a decent %. The lost OREB chance from JV not being in the paint would be a pretty big drain on efficiency for the Raptors.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#49 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 2:46 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
vini_vidi_vici wrote:I dont understand why ppl want to take a skill (3PT shooting) out of the game. The drive and kick game has never been better, we have seen more indepth, complex offenses. We have seen a variety of ways to facilitate an offense. Theres more passing/ASTs. I, for one, have loved the evolution of the sport.

Because it doesn't fit their narrative. People seem to think the only reason Curry is good because he shoots 3's. People think GSW is only good because of the 3. People forget how ugly the early 2000s were

The increased 3 point shooting causing blowouts is a real problem. And people are letting that blind their view of the actual basketball being played.
slothrop8
Head Coach

Post#50 » by slothrop8 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 2:55 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
slothrop8 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
Better than Lowry? LOL

I bet 36% is attainable. We see guys hit a good % when they limit volume and only shoot wide open 3’s (think Amir hitting 41% last year, Scola hitting 40% the year before, etc.).

I also bet teams don’t guard JV out there at all unless his volume gets to over 4 attempts a game on a decent %. The lost OREB chance from JV not being in the paint would be a pretty big drain on efficiency for the Raptors.

Scola's a good example - Amir's volume was pretty tiny - but replicating Scola's 40% on 2 attempts per is probably doable - and that might be enough to at least make opposition's C shade that direction some at least if not outright guard him close. That little bit of shading can make a big difference - basketball like all sports is a game where the tiniest inches make a difference. Those few fractions of a seconds late coming over to help can be huge. If the help defender you pull away even a little is good enough - the gains from that may well more than offset whatever efficiency from lost OREB opportunities - though I'm not even going to attempt to try the math to see if that's remotely true or not - hard to say where to begin for one thing.

I find myself having a hard time imagining JV taking even 2 threes per game - but I guess we'll see.
Rapcity_11
RealGM

Post#51 » by Rapcity_11 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:07 pm

slothrop8 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
slothrop8 wrote:

Scola's a good example - Amir's volume was pretty tiny - but replicating Scola's 40% on 2 attempts per is probably doable - and that might be enough to at least make opposition's C shade that direction some at least if not outright guard him close. That little bit of shading can make a big difference - basketball like all sports is a game where the tiniest inches make a difference. Those few fractions of a seconds late coming over to help can be huge. If the help defender you pull away even a little is good enough - the gains from that may well more than offset whatever efficiency from lost OREB opportunities - though I'm not even going to attempt to try the math to see if that's remotely true or not - hard to say where to begin for one thing.

I find myself having a hard time imagining JV taking even 2 threes per game - but I guess we'll see.

I dunno man, there’s been a pretty sizable shift recently in terms of teams not respecting those low volume 3 point shooters. And especially those with slow releases. I bet coaches are willing to concede open JV 3’s.
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,368

Post#52 » by TorontoRapsFan » Fri Jun 9, 2017 3:42 pm

Mack11 wrote:

i think he works on his jumper every offseason lol.. ill believe it when i see it

Fake news :P
slothrop8
Head Coach

Post#53 » by slothrop8 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:16 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
slothrop8 wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

I dunno man, there’s been a pretty sizable shift recently in terms of teams not respecting those low volume 3 point shooters. And especially those with slow releases. I bet coaches are willing to concede open JV 3’s.

Could very well be. If that's the case though - they don't respect him enough even to shade that way a little - maybe he can take and make enough to actually make the shot itself worthwhile rather than hoping the ancillary benefits make it useful. I'll still believe JV hoisting 3s of the reg for the Toronto Raptors when I see it - but I suppose it's not impossible.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,035

Post#54 » by Potential » Fri Jun 9, 2017 4:42 pm

Lol if JV starts to shoot 3s we're losing the championship
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,985

Post#55 » by Johnny Bball » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:40 pm

So 18 people think a big mans ability to hit a three is worthless. Shouldn't happen. That mark Gasol apparently shouldn't shoot a three. This forum... lmao.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#56 » by macNcheese3 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:05 pm

If somehow, someway JV could actually shoot a decent 3 and shed some pounds I think he would have a much bigger impact.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,656

Post#57 » by Psubs » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Ugggh...this league. How do you stop the stem of 3 point shooting. I'm almost all for suggesting we get rid of the line now and go back to all 2s.

I would like for the NBA to remove the 3-pt line! :D
Psubs
RealGM

Post#58 » by Psubs » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Potential wrote:Lol if JV starts to shoot 3s we're losing the championship

Does that mean losing in the Finals? I'd take that. :lol:
Psubs
RealGM

Post#59 » by Psubs » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:40 pm

Mack11 wrote:

Why doesn't Dwight move back to corner 3 distance like Nick VanExel, to shoot FT's and do a little jump shot?
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Re: RE: Re: Dwight to shoot 3s, shouldn't JV, too? 

Post#60 » by bon » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:09 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:So 18 people think a big mans ability to hit a three is worthless. Shouldn't happen. That mark Gasol apparently shouldn't shoot a three. This forum... lmao.

Context matters. Mindblowing, I know.

Return to Toronto Raptors