ImageImageImageImageImage

Dwight to shoot 3s, shouldn't JV, too?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Should we still trade JV if he developed 3s at, say, 35+ percent?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 44

Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,785

Re: Dwight to shoot 3s, shouldn't JV, too? 

Post#21 » by Zeno » Wed Jun 7, 2017 3:22 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Ugggh...this league. How do you stop the stem of 3 point shooting. I'm almost all for suggesting we get rid of the line now and go back to all 2s.

I think they might get rid of the corner 3 but I kind of like the idea of capping threes made per game at something like 10. Any shoot made after that point counts as a two. This would force team to really diversify their offences and add an additional element of strategy.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 19,785

Post#22 » by Zeno » Wed Jun 7, 2017 3:25 pm

Northface82 wrote:Image

Is it just me or does that brick look like it's going straight in.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
Cool-Hand-Luke
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,530

Post#23 » by Cool-Hand-Luke » Wed Jun 7, 2017 3:58 pm

I thought the Dwight shooting 3s was a joke. He can practice it all he wants. I don't think he will ever be a legitimate threat to even knock a single 3 down.
sig by TZ
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,487

Post#24 » by Bankai » Wed Jun 7, 2017 4:10 pm

Like others have said, Dwight Howard should work on his FTs first.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,282

Post#25 » by PhilBlackson » Wed Jun 7, 2017 4:15 pm

Howard's a complete joke.

He's never even become a good FT or 2pt shooter now he wants to waste his team's possessions bricking 3s?! It's no wonder anywhere he goes his teammates can't stand him, the guy is just clueless.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#26 » by ruckus » Wed Jun 7, 2017 4:16 pm

Duffman100 wrote:Ugggh...this league. How do you stop the stem of 3 point shooting. I'm almost all for suggesting we get rid of the line now and go back to all 2s.

The only way to stop it is to make it more or just as statistically feasible to score from the midrange and/or post. You can extend the line and hope shooters don't adjust to the farther shot. Eliminate the shorter corner 3. Adjust the rules to make it easier to score in the midrange and the post.

As it stands now, the game is called differently outside the 3 pt line vs inside the 3 pt line. Any hint of contact outside of the 3pt line is usually called. The closer you get to the basket, the more physicality is allowed. You have big men straight up getting hacked down low and getting no-calls. In the midrange, Demar probably gets fouled 90% of the time he has the ball.

The thing is, we don't want more fouls being called so, I don't know what the happy medium is.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,584

Re: RE: Re: Dwight to shoot 3s, shouldn't JV, too? 

Post#27 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 4:19 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Howard's a complete joke.

He's never even become a good FT or 2pt shooter now he wants to waste his team's possessions bricking 3s?! It's no wonder anywhere he goes his teammates can't stand him, the guy is just clueless.

What's even worse is the amount of people here mentinong him in trade ideas for our team
kj_
Analyst
And1: 3,298

Post#28 » by kj_ » Wed Jun 7, 2017 4:24 pm

Victoriarapsfan wrote:

Maybe extend the line and curve out, take away the corner shot. Teams'll come back inside?

I believe this will happen sometime in the next decade. Change is slow...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,367

Post#29 » by TorontoRapsFan » Wed Jun 7, 2017 4:28 pm

ruckus wrote:

The only way to stop it is to make it more or just as statistically feasible to score from the midrange and/or post. You can extend the line and hope shooters don't adjust to the farther shot. Eliminate the shorter corner 3. Adjust the rules to make it easier to score in the midrange and the post.

As it stands now, the game is called differently outside the 3 pt line vs inside the 3 pt line. Any hint of contact outside of the 3pt line is usually called. The closer you get to the basket, the more physicality is allowed. You have big men straight up getting hacked down low and getting no-calls. In the midrange, Demar probably gets fouled 90% of the time he has the ball.

The thing is, we don't want more fouls being called so, I don't know what the happy medium is.

Actually I think getting rid of the corner shots makes inside the line bigger and making the distance having to be covered by 3 point defenders a little easier to maneuver. The 3-2 zone should become more efficient at defending the three, while being weaker inside with the extra room. I really have very little conception of how these things work. Just trying to imagine it.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#30 » by Throwback24 » Wed Jun 7, 2017 4:35 pm

Man can't shoot Ft's or mid range jumpers. Some teams are going to bomb really hard.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,414

Post#31 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Jun 7, 2017 5:09 pm

Yes, because Dwight Howard is going to become a game changing three point shooter, JV should "most definitely" follow in his footsteps. Nothing could go wrong with that plan, the game is changing, Dwight and JV should stick to three point shots. That's where the analytics is.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#32 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Jun 7, 2017 5:12 pm

JV's shot looks too funky to have range out to the 3 on it. But hey, I know he's been working on it, so we'll see.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#33 » by ontnut » Wed Jun 7, 2017 5:18 pm

At least JV can shoot FTs with good consistency. His transition to 3 would seem a whole lot easier than Dwight's. Though I'm not particularly convinced either of them should be focusing on the 3.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#34 » by vini_vidi_vici » Wed Jun 7, 2017 6:10 pm

I dont understand why ppl want to take a skill (3PT shooting) out of the game. The drive and kick game has never been better, we have seen more indepth, complex offenses. We have seen a variety of ways to facilitate an offense. Theres more passing/ASTs. I, for one, have loved the evolution of the sport.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
plainballing
Head Coach
And1: 1,590

Post#35 » by plainballing » Wed Jun 7, 2017 6:35 pm

The fact that most big men tried to get the 3's is bothering me.

Big's like Davis and Durant has the agility to play on the perimeter then they should develop the 3's.

However I always felt that mid-range game is enough for bigs like Howard and JV. In the old days, David Robinson and Olajuwon has great shooting ability, making them deadly.

Howard should never have much business shooting 3's since he cannot even hit his FT.
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/lillehammer/Turbo_Zone_Little_Ozzy_Davis.jpg
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#36 » by Double Helix » Wed Jun 7, 2017 6:35 pm

Poll question isn't very different than the thread queastion and could mislead.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#37 » by JYD » Wed Jun 7, 2017 6:46 pm

I know this is a joke, along with the idea of JV shooting 3's. I know MU won't seriously think this is a way forward.

You don't need to be a 3pt shooting team, what you need is a team that can defend the perimeter and switch 1-5, and be efficient on offense.

I guess maybe MU tries to trade JV, doesn't like the offers, then goes to this hail mary idea. JV will shoot like 20% from 3 if he tries, practice vids are meaningless, this is a guy who will triple pump fake from the FT line because he's not comfortable.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,388

Post#38 » by Mikistan » Wed Jun 7, 2017 7:30 pm

Zeno wrote:
Northface82 wrote:Image

Is it just me or does that brick look like it's going straight in.

i like to think its already on its way down
Totem
Analyst
And1: 3,161

Post#39 » by Totem » Thu Jun 8, 2017 10:51 pm

Senbonzakura wrote:I'm not even an old-head (23) and I actually am an analytics guy but I don't like what's happening to the game.

The over reliance on the 3 point shot creates such a large score variance, that we are going to end up with record amounts of blowouts. Just look at the rockets. When they were hot they were blowing out the spurs but if only a couple of their players are off than they get blown out.
Product of TZ
TorontoRapsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,367

Post#40 » by TorontoRapsFan » Thu Jun 8, 2017 11:02 pm

vini_vidi_vici wrote:I dont understand why ppl want to take a skill (3PT shooting) out of the game. The drive and kick game has never been better, we have seen more indepth, complex offenses. We have seen a variety of ways to facilitate an offense. Theres more passing/ASTs. I, for one, have loved the evolution of the sport.

I really can't speak to what you've said, I'm guessing you're right, but don't you feel play has lacked some of the intensity that it used to have? Now that I say it it's more likely due to the lack of physical defense allowed. I just feel the hand in your face, take away your dribble space defense is fading away.

Return to Toronto Raptors