ImageImageImageImageImage

I like this teams defensive potential

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

CoachJReturns
RealGM
And1: 10,535

Re: I like this teams defensive potential 

Post#21 » by CoachJReturns » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:11 pm

Patman wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:All their missing is an actual defensive anchor like KG with a true understanding of defenses that isn't Casey.

We're missing a lot defensively on the IQ department. We're also missing some competent wing defender at the 1 and 2 positions.

Bebe intrigues no one even in limited minutes. The game is too fast for him, he'd fit better on a team like GSW. Not the scrambling Raptors.

This. A bunch of one-on-one defenders doesn't necessarily make a great defensive team. You need someone to "quarterback" the defense and call things out like a KG, Tim Duncan, LeBron, or Draymond Green.

It's the same thing on offense. You can have 5 shooters on the floor, you're not automatically going to be a great shooting team if you don't have someone that can break someone off the dribble and cause help defenders to come. Defenders will just stay at home.

I think the hope is one of these guys becomes the anchor. Of the guys we have I'd say OG or Poeltl are the most likely. OG is extremely versatile, as everyone has said, and we really have no idea what his ceiling is yet.

Poeltl isn't a monster shot blocking center, but he's got arguably the best bball IQ on the team and is pretty mobile. Needs to get stronger, clearly, so his rebounding fundamentals can be put to better use, but there's hope there. The dream scenario at center would be for Poeltl to reach his absolute ceiling which I think is someone like Marc Gasol. Not a monster shot blocker, but a very smart 7 foot defender. That's a lot to ask though of course.

In short, they're too young for us to be certain we don't have a potential defensive anchor on the roster. Though I agree we don't have a Duncan because nobody in the league does right now.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#22 » by Throwback24 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:38 pm

CoachJReturns wrote:
Patman wrote:
Throwback24 wrote:All their missing is an actual defensive anchor like KG with a true understanding of defenses that isn't Casey.

We're missing a lot defensively on the IQ department. We're also missing some competent wing defender at the 1 and 2 positions.

Bebe intrigues no one even in limited minutes. The game is too fast for him, he'd fit better on a team like GSW. Not the scrambling Raptors.

This. A bunch of one-on-one defenders doesn't necessarily make a great defensive team. You need someone to "quarterback" the defense and call things out like a KG, Tim Duncan, LeBron, or Draymond Green.

It's the same thing on offense. You can have 5 shooters on the floor, you're not automatically going to be a great shooting team if you don't have someone that can break someone off the dribble and cause help defenders to come. Defenders will just stay at home.

I think the hope is one of these guys becomes the anchor. Of the guys we have I'd say OG or Poeltl are the most likely. OG is extremely versatile, as everyone has said, and we really have no idea what his ceiling is yet.

Poeltl isn't a monster shot blocking center, but he's got arguably the best bball IQ on the team and is pretty mobile. Needs to get stronger, clearly, so his rebounding fundamentals can be put to better use, but there's hope there. The dream scenario at center would be for Poeltl to reach his absolute ceiling which I think is someone like Marc Gasol. Not a monster shot blocker, but a very smart 7 foot defender. That's a lot to ask though of course.

In short, they're too young for us to be certain we don't have a potential defensive anchor on the roster. Though I agree we don't have a Duncan because nobody in the league does right now.

It goes beyond being a vocal leader. Who's going to tell DD to bend his knees on defense and body up when he's being posted up? Who's going to tell Lowry to stop fishing for calls and to stop dying on screens? Obviously not Casey. It has to be with someone with enough of a pedigree because this team is super hierarchical.

We need someone with enough personality, talent, and a backbone to completely change the teams defensive identity. Bringing in competent individual defenders isn't the answer on this team, they can barely grasp helping the helper.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
NinjaBro
RealGM
And1: 42,000

Post#23 » by NinjaBro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 pm

We need players to make mo shats!
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#24 » by Patman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Throwback24 wrote:
CoachJReturns wrote:
Patman wrote:

It goes beyond being a vocal leader. Who's going to tell DD to bend his knees on defense and body up when he's being posted up? Who's going to tell Lowry to stop fishing for calls and to stop dying on screens? Obviously not Casey. It has to be with someone with enough of a pedigree because this team is super hierarchical.

We need someone with enough personality, talent, and a backbone to completely change the teams defensive identity. Bringing in competent individual defenders isn't the answer on this team, they can barely grasp helping the helper.

That kind of stuff has to be ingrained in practice. If you have to be told fundamentals during a game, it's already too late. If we already didn't have a lack of shooting, I would love to take a go at Iguodala. High level basketball IQ and defensive fundamentals:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/behind-the-screen-inside-the-defensive-mind-of-andre-iguodala/

Also obviously has the creds to back it up: 2 rings, Finals MVP, all-star, 1st Team All-D, 2nd Team All-D
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#25 » by Matty » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:03 pm

As long as DeMar Is playing significant minutes on this team, our defense will remain suspect at best
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#26 » by Tanner » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 pm

You need shooters and to embrace the "position-less" shift in the NBA. Jonas and DeMar are dinosaurs in today's game. Slow plodding centres and ISO dominant mid range shooters who can't shoot 3's or play defence are about as undesirable as any player you can find right now. If DD had a 3 point shot and the ability to get others involved, then he'd be golden, but he doesn't.

The Pistons did not win until they turned ISO clock stopper Stackhouse into Rip Hamilton, and then later acquired Sheed. Does Masai have the balls to move DD? Probably not, but that would be where I'd start. Unless we are getting George in a trade, then you keep DD and hope it helps convince PG to stay, but both scenarios are unlikely.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,645

Post#27 » by C_Money » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 pm

dukes_wild wrote:I love defense, but if you can't score points at a high rate in this league you're toast.

Unfortunately every move we make is defensive related. And somehow our defence STILL sucks :lol:

Return to Toronto Raptors