ImageImageImageImageImage

OT:Winning Time

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,301

OT:Winning Time 

Post#1 » by ruckus » Fri Apr 1, 2022 3:43 pm

I'm 4 episodes in and while the series is overly dramatic and takes extreme artistic liberties with the characters, I can't help but draw parallels and see reflections between the nascent Showtime Lakers and this year's Raptors.

Fred - Norm Nixon
Pascal - Kareem (big stretch here)
Scotty is obv Magic
Nurse - McKinney

Old heads with actual memories of the era may take issue with the portrayals in the series but I find it pretty enjoyable and adding in the Raptors parallels adds another fun layer to it.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,772

Re: OT:Winning Time 

Post#2 » by OakleyDokely » Fri Apr 1, 2022 4:36 pm

It's an entertaining show. John C Reilly is awesome.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#3 » by vini_vidi_vici » Fri Apr 1, 2022 4:59 pm

I was shocked they opened the series with the positive AIDs test, but its been bold throughout. While not accurate, I prefer to think of Riley as hes depicted in the show, some loser riding off McKinneys coaching philosophies. Def entertaining.
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 49,100

Post#4 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Apr 1, 2022 5:02 pm

Very entertaining. Btw.... what day does it air because I keep watching it on demand after the fact.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#5 » by Huskies1947 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:39 pm

I'm also watching this show - it's crazy how they make Jack Kent Cook look in it :lol:

Canadian owner of the Lakers (and Kings) and wanted to bring the MLB to Toronto back in the day.
ruckus
RealGM

Post#6 » by ruckus » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:42 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Very entertaining. Btw.... what day does it air because I keep watching it on demand after the fact.

Other than Raptors games, I have no idea when anything airs anymore.
ruckus
RealGM

Post#7 » by ruckus » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:49 pm

Huskies1947 wrote:I'm also watching this show - it's crazy how they make Jack Kent Cook look in it :lol:

Canadian owner of the Lakers (and Kings) and wanted to bring the MLB to Toronto back in the day.

Wow. Just read his wiki. Cooke had a fascinating life and was hella accomplished. He's a super minor character in the context of the show but they didn't do justice to the importance of his role.
vini_vidi_vici
RealGM
And1: 20,796

Post#8 » by vini_vidi_vici » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:56 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Very entertaining. Btw.... what day does it air because I keep watching it on demand after the fact.

Sundays 9EST
iDRTG is terrible. ** Paid for by Pfizer Inc.
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#9 » by Huskies1947 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:00 pm

ruckus wrote:
Huskies1947 wrote:I'm also watching this show - it's crazy how they make Jack Kent Cook look in it :lol:

Wow. Just read his wiki. Cooke had a fascinating life and was hella accomplished. He's a super minor character in the context of the show but they didn't do justice to the importance of his role.

Yup - he was a pioneer for sure.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,422

Post#10 » by And1+2 » Fri Apr 1, 2022 7:27 pm

I call the current rendition of the team The Losing Time Lakers every chance I get.
OakleyDokely
RealGM
And1: 63,772

Post#11 » by OakleyDokely » Tue Apr 2, 2024 9:20 pm

Read on Twitter
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 27,068

Post#12 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:20 pm

OakleyDokely wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like Lawrence Fishburne as Doc Rivers.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,621

Post#13 » by mdenny » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:28 pm

ruckus wrote:

I'm 4 episodes in and while the series is overly dramatic and takes extreme artistic liberties with the characters, I can't help but draw parallels and see reflections between the nascent Showtime Lakers and this year's Raptors.

Fred - Norm Nixon
Scotty is obv Magic
Nurse - McKinney

Old heads with actual memories of the era may take issue with the portrayals in the series but I find it pretty enjoyable and adding in the Raptors parallels adds another fun layer to it.

What you are drawing parallels to is the hallucinations of casual basketball fans who thought "scotty was being held back" by the vets.

The scotty-led raps are in the bottom six during his third year (obviously magic lol). Meanwhile....Jalen green and Sengun have been unlocked by a fred-led team. Siakam and OG are thriving on other teams.
Scase
RealGM
And1: 7,519

Post#14 » by Scase » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:35 pm

Why are you bumping a 2 year old thread to cry?
Props TZ!
DemHeavyHands
Sixth Man
And1: 2,735

Post#15 » by DemHeavyHands » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:44 pm

mdenny wrote:
ruckus wrote:

Fred - Norm Nixon
Scotty is obv Magic
Nurse - McKinney

What you are drawing parallels to is the hallucinations of casual basketball fans who thought "scotty was being held back" by the vets.

The scotty-led raps are in the bottom six during his third year (obviously magic lol). Meanwhile....Jalen green and Sengun have been unlocked by a fred-led team. Siakam and OG are thriving on other teams.

There’s literally only a month long sample of what the Scottie-led raps look like

The green/sengun unlocked fred-led rockets will be joining us at the draft lottery btw :lol: :lol:

Imagine being a fred glazer :lol:
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#16 » by mdenny » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:56 am

Scase wrote:Why are you bumping a 2 year old thread to cry?

I didn't bump the thread scase x.

I use the x to denote whatever username you posted under last season.
mdenny
Head Coach

Post#17 » by mdenny » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:58 am

DemHeavyHands wrote:
mdenny wrote:
ruckus wrote:

Fred - Norm Nixon
Scotty is obv Magic
Nurse - McKinney

There’s literally only a month long sample of what the Scottie-led raps look like

The green/sengun unlocked fred-led rockets will be joining us at the draft lottery btw :lol: :lol:

Imagine being a fred glazer :lol:

Imagine being a fred hater who's username is based on a hate agenda.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 38,341

Post#18 » by Tor_Raps » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:01 am

It was a travesty that they cancelled this show. They had potential to do this type of show for every dynasty. The Bulls should be next and then followed by the shaq/Kobe Lakers.

Return to Toronto Raptors